NAWWAL Tengwar Geocoin

scavok

This is my first coin design attempt for a minted coin. I'm working on figuring out which metals and finishes it would look good in and thought I'd take some input, if anyone even likes it at all :laughing:

The quote is a J.R.R. Tolkien quote and the script/writing is simplified Tengwar, a written and spoken language created by Tolkien as well. Flip sides of the coins are direct translations of the opposite side.

NAWWAL.jpg

Edited by Flying Spaghetti Monster

Way cool, can't wait to see the finished product! (you've gotten any required permissions, right?)

This is still just a design, nothing more yet. Glad you like it so far though (:

I've sent an email seeking approval, but I think I'm going to move ahead with a minter if all is well. I've just never done this before, but hey, the first few people like it :laughing:

It appears that antique finishes are in order (:

Is anyone interested in ant. copper?

I'm thinking

1. standard antique finishes (we all love those)

2. In my mind I see it as an all metal two-tone coin. The background pattern is pressed into a recessed gritty gold surface and the text, designs and circular perimeter are raised polished silver. The design parts with bolder lines and the text are at the full height of the perimeter and the thin lined parts are at a height in between the recessed background and the other raised surfaces.

The perimeter band is the polished silver, and the dark arrow points are recessed gold. The light arrow points (behind the lettering) is gritty silver. The lettering on the perimeter is slightly raised gold.

3. Number 2 but with translucent color with the gritty and scroll work underneath and the raised metal scroll above the translucent.

Ideas?

Edited by scavok

Fantastic! And PLEASE make at least one for the derschlings in antique copper... pleeeeeeeezzz

I have this quote from JRRT on a T-shirt... it's one of my favorites.

I agree about maybe a map of middle earth on one side... maybe 3D like OshnDoc's Antarctica...

in any case, I'm definitely in for this coin!

Well there's 2 votes for copper anyway (I like it too :mad: )

I had thought about a map on one side of it, but I didn't want it to be a LOTR coin, just one applying the quote as a concept to geocaching and life in general.

I don't know the legal aspects of using those pics either, with the popularity of the movies I'd probably have to pay or something! Who knows, maybe a LOTR coin in the future. After all, there were an awful lot of pirate coins over the past year... :mad:

Edited by scavok

This is my first coin design attempt for a minted coin. I'm working on figuring out which metals and finishes it would look good in and thought I'd take some input, if anyone even likes it at all :D

The quote is a J.R.R. Tolkien quote and the script/writing is simplified Tengwar, a written and spoken language created by Tolkien as well. Flip sides of the coins are direct translations of the opposite side.

NAWWAL.jpg

I really like the design...very Nice! :mad: If you want my opinion or suggestion, all that i see that I myself would want different is the design on one side. I do like the design, but at my first thought is that both sides look too similar. They are clearly different so 2 different dies will be made, I would like to see a different design on either side...but thats just me :mad:

If i was to suggest anything, it would be to use one side, such as the Tengwar side as is. Then maybe provide a variation in the design on the translated side, although I do see the opposing differences.

Just my 2 cents...I really do like it and will get one regardless! Hope that helps!

First off, I'm really happy to see so many great designs being unveiled here in the forums as of late. This is most certainly one of 'em, and will look excellent in any antique finish chosen. I agree with 007BigD in expressing the hope that maybe one side could be altered, if only slightly, so as to not wholly repeat that excellent weave-working. It's a unique look that deserves to be "featured". But regardless of your ultimate choice in design, you've got a winner here.

I really like the design...very Nice! ;) If you want my opinion or suggestion, all that i see that I myself would want different is the design on one side. I do like the design, but at my first thought is that both sides look too similar. They are clearly different so 2 different dies will be made, I would like to see a different design on either side...but thats just me ;)

If i was to suggest anything, it would be to use one side, such as the Tengwar side as is. Then maybe provide a variation in the design on the translated side, although I do see the opposing differences.

Just my 2 cents...I really do like it and will get one regardless! Hope that helps!

The two sides are actually mirror images, so when placed on a coin back-to-back (if the mint can get them lined up properly and the differences in raised/recessed parts of the scrollwork), it would be as if the weaving goes right through the coin.

Good point though, on any future ones, I'll keep that in mind.

Edited by scavok

First off, I'm really happy to see so many great designs being unveiled here in the forums as of late. This is most certainly one of 'em, and will look excellent in any antique finish chosen. I agree with 007BigD in expressing the hope that maybe one side could be altered, if only slightly, so as to not wholly repeat that excellent weave-working. It's a unique look that deserves to be "featured". But regardless of your ultimate choice in design, you've got a winner here.

Totally agree with the Yime here.

I just wanted to let everyone know that I've gone ahead with a minter. No time line yet (I have no idea how long this takes), but it looks like its going to happen.

I'll get some samples, take pictures and keep the thread updated.

Thanks for your input/support! :unsure:

Wohoo, samples are in! Here are some runs testing different metals and enamel colors. Let me know what you think!!!

Antique Bronze:

tengwar-abrz-500.jpg

Antique Silver:

tengwar-asil-500.jpg

Gold with Orange Enamel (not my choice!):

tengwar-gldorg-500.jpg

Gold with Red Enamel:

tengwar-gldred-500.jpg

Copper with Peachy-Orange Enamel:

tengwar-pcop-500.jpg

Silver with Turquoise Enamel (not the best photo, sorry!):

tengwar-pnic-500.JPG