Events - what happens?

Well... there are loads of different types of events...

General events might be held in a pub etc and is chance for a meet up, chat, TB swap, chance to cache locally with other people.

CITO events (Cache in Trash out) are fun events where there is usually some form of cleaning / clearing / litter picking etc - the ethos behind cito events is that it's a chance for cachers to put something back into the countryside.

Camping events are a chance for cachers to get away to a different location - somewhere they'd never usually get to cache. You don't HAVE to camp to attend, and there is usually a BBQ / some day (or evening) get together that is open to everyone, not just campers.

Camping events are fab to cache with people you'd never normally cache with, get to know loads of people, and generally, have a great time in some fab company.

MEGA events are a rare occasion - indeed this will be the UK's 1st. Obviously there will be caching to be done, but also stalls selling / promoting stuff, workshops on going paperless, etc etc etc. We don't know yet what will be on offer at the UK mega event, we await the delights on offer from the committee... all I know is that it's bound to be great fun, and deffo not to be missed!!!

Thank you for your enquiry...

Basically the Mega event will be slightly different from other events, it will be a turn up on the day or take part in the "experiance" over a few days if you wish !!!

The actual Mega event will take place on Sunday whereby doors open mid morning and close mid afternoon.

Watch the cache page and soon to arrive web page, for full details

There will be a lot of meet and greet (come and meet in excess of 600 cachers !!), food and drink, stalls to buy items, quizzes, organised cache walks - group and solo, childrens activities, TB and geo coin swops (loads of them) and more importantly loads of local caching in some of Harrogates best countryside we can offer.

The experiance will start with other organised cache events taking place in the days leading up to the sunday event, so if you are coming for a few days caching come and join us for pub quizzes, BBQ etc etc

As I said earlier, watch the main cache page for future details, and should you have specific details contact me through either the committee profile or my own profile

You will enjoy the day I am sure... where else will you get to meet hundreds of cachers all in one place

Robin (Harrogate Hunters)

We did our first Event last year which was just a dozen of us meeting up in a pub side bar. Then we moved to Las Vegas (trust me - not as great as it sounds) and from our first weekend of caching one of the locals invited us to an event on Jan 6th, GC17DQX, organised by the Nevada Geocaching Assn.

Near the day, the organisers contacted the 'Will Attends' and asked us to bring a specific food/refreshment with us, or for those flying in (there were quite a few) they could make a cash pledge instead. Come the day there was over 200 there, food for everyone and a chance to meet celebs like 'Signal' :mad: and Groundspeak folk such as Jeremy (I kid you not - check the pictures).

Garmin demonstrated the new Colorado and we even did some local caches. Team 360 flew in and displayed the OCB (TBGJAA), there were trackable cars in the carpark and 'Signal' :D had a TB tag to.

So we wish you all the very best of luck with the UK mega event, :mad: I'm sure it will be an unforgettable experience - just sorry we can't be there.

It's nice to meet other cachers at events and have enjoyed the ones we've attended, but I/we find geocaching as a group somewhat lacking - standing in a queue to be handed a logsheet to sign is far removed from the geocaching we love :mad:

So, events: yes

Geocaching as a large group during an event: no thanks!

It's nice to meet other cachers at events and have enjoyed the ones we've attended, but I/we find geocaching as a group somewhat lacking - standing in a queue to be handed a logsheet to sign is far removed from the geocaching we love :mad:

Really? I find the opposite. It's great to go caching with large groups of friends at events - the laughter rarely stops and I find it's often the best time to catchup with what's been going on, hints, tips, trails, series and so on.

It's nice to meet other cachers at events and have enjoyed the ones we've attended, but I/we find geocaching as a group somewhat lacking - standing in a queue to be handed a logsheet to sign is far removed from the geocaching we love

Is that why events specifically setup to go geocaching as a group are not allowed?

J

We tend to agree (although don't mind the occasional group session :mad: ), You often find the faster walkers have found the cache and are signing the log before you get there. We find that this can also detract from the social side of group caching as you get so split up that you end up in a load of small groups (or even individuals :D ) until the cache is reached, and then everyone is just in a rush to get off to the next number.

I noticed no ones mentioned the events with other activities attached to them :mad: such as Go Ape [assault course in the trees] or the one at the Summit of Snowdon [attendees had a choice of walking up or taking the SMR train] a trip on a Steam Train or even a attempt to lift a canal barge from a river to the canal :mad: .

Or even the fantastic Fox Hunt's, which I've heard might be making a comeback in a smaller version :D

Okay - numpty here. What's the play on words with Fox Hunts'? And if there isn't a play on words, why has UK Mega Event Committee gone all smiley?

Scott

Slow finding caches, even slower on the uptake.

The original Geocaching Fox Hunts built up into the final one which took in a large chunk of the country. The Fox being the sadly missed Mark The Cat. The Fox's vehicle is fitted with telemetric's which using GPS to to locate it's position which is then available via a text message. The aim of the hounds being to get ahead of the fox and meet up with him. Due to the change in the guidelines the original format has to change ever so slightly :D

As for the Mega Committee going all smiley who knows what the future will bring in :D

as a foot note the last Fox suffered major mechanical issues during his run, which resulted in a large No of UK cachers emailing a certain car manufacturer :):P

.......as a foot note the last Fox suffered major mechanical issues during his run, which resulted in a large No of UK cachers emailing a certain car manufacturer :D:P

If I remember correctly, that certain car manufacturer lent Mark a car while his was being fixed so that the Fox Hunt could continue. :)