US GPSMax 60CSx vs. European ditto

Hello there!

I have a Garmin eTrex Legend HCx that works quite well but is inaccurate as soon as there's a tree or anything somewhat close. I'm interested in buying a unit with SiRFstar III chipset; the GPSMap 60 CSx.

In Sweden, where I live, this little fella would cost me over $700 and in the US the price is around $300. My question now is what differs the US version from the European one. Is it the base maps and/or are there other things to think about before having a friend of mine's, living in the US, ordering it for me and then mail it over to Sweden? I understand that warranty issues can be difficult but I'd be happy to hear any other suggestion.

Best regards,

Viktor Broman

SWE_Bridgeman

I'm interested in buying a unit with SiRFstar III chipset; the GPSMap 60 CSx.

In Sweden, where I live, this little fella would cost me over $700 and in the US the price is around $300. My question now is what differs the US version from the European one. Is it the base maps and/or are there other things to think about before having a friend of mine's, living in the US, ordering it for me and then mail it over to Sweden? I understand that warranty issues can be difficult but I'd be happy to hear any other suggestion.

A guy by the name of Colin Wilson who lives in the UK purchased a unit while on holiday ("vacation" to us Americans) in Canada. When he got home, he found Garmin Europe wouldn't sell him the maps for it without a hardware purchase. Ticked him off badly enough that he created this web site ( http://coreutilities.netsynk.co.uk/garmin/ ), where you can get his story firsthand. I don't know whether Garmin's policies have changed since his experience; nor do I know whether this policy applies to all units.

I take no position on the issues involved or Colin's complaint. I provide the link only because you asked for information on any issues that might arise out of buying the unit in the U.S. You may want to investigate this for yourself before making a decision.

As long as you're not interested in the base map (and who is?) the only problem I have heard of is import duty.

If my UK model dies I would happily import a far cheaper US model, but when I bought mine nearly 2 years ago I couldn't get the reassurances you are looking for, so I didn't take the risk.

I bought my unit in USA two years ago and use CityNavigater Europe v9 unlocked by Garmin.

I also load an European Basemap on the SD card.

I'm sure that you will find that the unit works as well in your country as in mine!!

I use MetroGuide v9 on many of my family units, and there is little difference when 'autorouting' is added.

De fungerar.

There are two issues. The basemap is "wrong", so you have to add something like world map, if you want a large overview. If you bring your GPS on a plane, for example, to get a rough idea of where you are, the detailed maps are just too detailed.

The other issue is that you can't set it to Swedish menu language, if it's sold in North America. Only English, French, Spanish and Portugese is enabled there.

Fast det går att mickla med.

Autorouting is car navigation. Select your destination and it will figure out along which ways to go.

Edited by apersson850