Questionable items

RunningWolph

I was Just wondering if bullets are items that should be in a Cache. A couple of days ago I dropped by View to a Cure by WolfGrrl to discover a Geocoin. The coin was gone, But instead I found three bullets. I did not think that they belonged there so I took them and disposed of them. Can someone tell me If I did acted out of line?

I wouldn't want them in any of MY caches.

Actual Live Ammo is very bad in caches! If they are empty bullet shell casings then its not a problem.

FYI, here are the Geocaching guidelines.

Cache Contents

Use your common sense in most cases. Explosives, fireworks, ammo, lighters, knives (including pocket knives and multi-tools), drugs, alcohol or other illicit material shouldn't be placed in a cache. As always respect the local laws. Geocaching is a family activity and cache contents should be suitable for all ages.

I was Just wondering if bullets are items that should be in a Cache. A couple of days ago I dropped by View to a Cure by WolfGrrl to discover a Geocoin. The coin was gone, But instead I found three bullets. I did not think that they belonged there so I took them and disposed of them. Can someone tell me If I did acted out of line?

You did good!

You may safely dispose of the following calibers by sending them to me: .22LR, .308 Winchester, 7MM Rem Mag, .380, or .44 Mag.

And since I only have pre 1900s guns, I will take your .45-70 rounds

If you see any .577 cal cartridges like the three on the left of this picture you can send them to me.

180px-Snider-Martini-Enfield_Cartridges.JPG

.577 cal Minie' Balls (see below) are also gladly accepted...

shapeimage_9.jpg

You may safely dispose of the following calibers by sending them to me: .22LR, .308 Winchester, 7MM Rem Mag, .380, or .44 Mag.
I'm glad that you didn't say .243 Winchester. :lol: You can send those to me along with any 12 gauge and 20 gauge shells that you find, since those have not been spoken for yet. I'll also take any uncut 32" arrows you might find for my bow. Of course if they are in an ammo box then I don't want them anymore.... <_<

I was in the Modesto area around the first of the month and found a couple of 22 rounds, I mentioned it in the central valley forum and I think the problem has been take care of.

PS TG do you reload???????

Edited by vagabond

And since I only have pre 1900s guns, I will take your .45-70 rounds

If you see any .577 cal cartridges like the three on the left of this picture you can send them to me.

180px-Snider-Martini-Enfield_Cartridges.JPG

.577 cal Minie' Balls (see below) are also gladly accepted...

shapeimage_9.jpg

How big of caliber do you need to take down a polar bear, anyway? :)

Ammo in a cache is perfectly harmless. After all, we make caches out of ammo cans and that same ammo sits in those cans for ages without ever doing anything than just sitting there. And it isn't like kids are out Geocaching on their own.

Still, I would not leave ammo in a cache because I don't want people who don't know any better to freak out and think the world was coming to an end. Of course my being a gun dealer probably makes me more at ease around guns and ammo in general.

Ammo in a cache is perfectly harmless. After all, we make caches out of ammo cans and that same ammo sits in those cans for ages without ever doing anything than just sitting there. And it isn't like kids are out Geocaching on their own.

Still, I would not leave ammo in a cache because I don't want people who don't know any better to freak out and think the world was coming to an end. Of course my being a gun dealer probably makes me more at ease around guns and ammo in general.

I felt a need to respond. I know Groundspeak has guidelines not rules for cache placement, but we feel thay should be followed so the sport of geocaching is consistent all over. Here is a section of those guidelines quoted. Note that ammo should not be placed in caches, "harmless" or not. Yes, kids do geocache on their own.

"Cache Contents

Use your common sense in most cases. Explosives, fireworks, ammo, lighters, knives (including pocket knives and multi-tools), drugs, alcohol or other illicit material shouldn't be placed in a cache. As always respect the local laws. Geocaching is a family activity and cache contents should be suitable for all ages.

Food items are ALWAYS a BAD IDEA. Animals have better noses than humans, and in some cases caches have been chewed through and destroyed because food items (or items that smell like food) are in the cache. Even the presence of mint flavored dental floss has led to destruction of one cache.

If the original cache contents list any of the above items or other questionable items, or if a cache is reported to have the questionable items, the cache may be disabled, and the owner of the cache will be contacted and asked to remove the questionable items before the cache is enabled."

I felt a need to respond. I know Groundspeak has guidelines not rules for cache placement, but we feel thay should be followed so the sport of geocaching is consistent all over. Here is a section of those guidelines quoted. Note that ammo should not be placed in caches, "harmless" or not. Yes, kids do geocache on their own.

I 100% agree with J&J!

Almost all weapons are perfectly harmless, when in the hands of someone trained to use them. Its that when someone find the cache and goes "Ooo! A bullet, lets it hit with a hammer!"

I spent 4 years running machinegun ranges at Camp Pendleton, and saw a lot of rounds cook off whenever there were fires in the impact area. Anyone who experienced the wildfires we had here last year realizes that those fires were hot enough to cook off any ammunition in a cache. I wouldn't want to be one of the fire fighters around such a cache . . .

<a href="http://""" target="_blank"></a>"Cache Contents

Food items are ALWAYS a BAD IDEA. Animals have better noses than humans, and in some cases caches have been chewed through and destroyed because food items (or items that smell like food) are in the cache. Even the presence of mint flavored dental floss has led to destruction of one cache.

If the original cache contents list any of the above items or other questionable items, or if a cache is reported to have the questionable items, the cache may be disabled, and the owner of the cache will be contacted and asked to remove the questionable items before the cache is enabled."

yep, i agree with john too!