Watchlist for Cachers Themselves?

Mudfrog

Thought this may have been asked before but i tried doing a search and couldn't come up with anything. It's probably not even GC.com related but i figured i'd start by asking here just in case.

A friend of mine, premium member, tells me that another premium member is able to watch her through logs she submits on GC.com. In otherwords, if she posts a log on a (any) cache, the other person somehow receives notification that she posted the log. I'm guessing through email but i really have no idea. The first person doesn't like this and wants it to stop so i'm asking here if anyone knows if this is a GC.com service or if it's some aftermarket program that we can somehow put a stop to?

Would appreciate any help or ideas that you may have!

Edited by Mudfrog

Thought this may have been asked before but i tried doing a search and couldn't come up with anything. It's probably not even GC.com related but i figured i'd start by asking here just in case.

A friend of mine, premium member, tells me that another premium member is able to watch her through logs she submits on GC.com. In otherwords, if she posts a log on a (any) cache, the other person somehow receives notification that she posted the log. I'm guessing through email but i really have no idea. The first person doesn't like this and wants it to stop so i'm asking here if anyone knows if this is a GC.com service or if it's some aftermarket program that we can somehow put a stop to?

Would appreciate any help or ideas that you may have!

Sounds like Cyber Stalking to me. I am sure GS would be interested if there is criminal activity taking place via their website.

There's no website feature that allows for notifications of all logs (although a consent-based "friends" feature may allow for that in the future). It is easy enough, however, to do a search on all of Geocacher X's finds, and read the logs on those cache pages. Or, Cacher Y could be downloading pocket queries for a large area, and then searching for all logs (finds, notes, etc.) by Geocacher X. There is nothing wrong with these activities, in and of themselves. Now, if any action is taken against Geocacher X by Cacher Y, that would be different, but all you say in your post is that Geocacher X "doesn't like this."

Thanks for the replies. The people involved are somewhat friends so it's not a big issue at this time. The one person is annoyed by it because the other calls her, then seems to know where she's been, what she's been doing and so on.

I got to looking around and i believe i may have figured out what may be going on. I'm thinking the other person is using the instanotify feature of the site to see when she logs. That feature doesn't allow a specific person to be watched but i think it allows members to set up notifications to come in when anyone logs a find or dnf on a cache.

Way back when we had a stats site it was easy to watch a friend and see what they were up to in the caching world.

Now you would need a page to watch your friends most recent finds page and that page would send you an email notice that the find page has changed. Those home pages exist. Not how sure they would work with this site.