Map Segment Count Limit: 2025

segler999

This issue of the segment count limit of 2025 for the 60/76C(S)x units has been discussed, and complained about, a lot over the past couple years. I am one of the complainers.

So, OK, it's a been 9 months since I last bugged Garmin about this. And the Colorado has come out. I recently emailed tech support: "Do your new Colorado series, as well as your HCx series, have the same 2025 segment count limit that my 60Cx has?"

They replied: "The Vista HCX does have the limitation, but the Colorado devices do not have the limitation."

So, not wanting to give up just yet, I further asked: "Will Garmin issue a firmware update for the 60/76/C(S)x and HCx to remove or increase the limitation?"

To which they replied: "At this point in time there is not a future software update to increase the 2025 map set limitation."

So, there you have it. The Colorado is the new king of the handheld mountain, and update support for the 60/76C(S)x will taper off to zero.

Too bad, since the 60/76C(S)x units are the ones that everybody loves and have no problems with. Right now, nothing out there from Garmin, Magellan, Delorme, or Lowrance is good enough to motivate me to replace my trusty 60Cx.

This issue of the segment count limit of 2025 for the 60/76C(S)x units has been discussed, and complained about, a lot over the past couple years. I am one of the complainers.

So, OK, it's a been 9 months since I last bugged Garmin about this. And the Colorado has come out. I recently emailed tech support: "Do your new Colorado series, as well as your HCx series, have the same 2025 segment count limit that my 60Cx has?"

They replied: "The Vista HCX does have the limitation, but the Colorado devices do not have the limitation."

So, not wanting to give up just yet, I further asked: "Will Garmin issue a firmware update for the 60/76/C(S)x and HCx to remove or increase the limitation?"

To which they replied: "At this point in time there is not a future software update to increase the 2025 map set limitation."

So, there you have it. The Colorado is the new king of the handheld mountain, and update support for the 60/76C(S)x will taper off to zero.

Too bad, since the 60/76C(S)x units are the ones that everybody loves and have no problems with. Right now, nothing out there from Garmin, Magellan, Delorme, or Lowrance is good enough to motivate me to replace my trusty 60Cx.

I'm guessing there is some inherent limitation in the software (or maybe the hardware) used in the units with expandable memory. It just doesn't make sense to drastically re-engineer an older software platform when you've moved on to a newer, hopefully improved platform. It sucks, I know, but that's just the reality of product and/or software development. To be fair, Garmin is better than most at continuing to release software updates for units long after they're out of active production.

2025 segments is a lot of maps (at minimum, with Topo maps, that covers more area than you could likely drive in a day), and you could always swap cards...

Pardon me, but it seems like you have made a big leap from "there is not a future software update to increase the 2025 map set limitation" to "update support for the 60/76C(S)x will taper off to zero."