Garmin Colorado & SDHC compatibility?

A.B.E.L.

I contacted Garmin and they told me the Colorado can accept up to a 4gb SD card, but would not accept SDHC cards. This is confusing since I can't really find any 4gb SD cards that aren't SDHC.

Can anyone confirm that the Garmin Colorado will accept a 4gb SDHC card?

Thanks

I tried a 4gb SDHC card (Dane-Elec class 4) in a 400t at REI and it worked fine.

I think there's no such thing as a non-SDHC 4 GB (or larger) card.

Which is why I specifically asked about 8gig or larger SDHC cards. :( People seem to think that 4gig SDHC cards are working, I was just wondering if anyone used anything bigger with any success.

--Marky

Which is why I specifically asked about 8gig or larger SDHC cards. :laughing: People seem to think that 4gig SDHC cards are working, I was just wondering if anyone used anything bigger with any success.

--Marky

I am using a 4gb SDHC card in my 300. I have about 300gb's of Topo 2008 data on the card; it works fine. I also have an 8gb SDHC card which I am using in a camera. I have not tried the 8gb card in the 300.

No idea about whether an 8 gig card will work or not, but there ARE non SDHC cards which are 4gb. They go outside the SD spec a bit to do it, but they do exist.

From what I have seen, every 4 gig card works, SD or SDHC. Can everyone stop talking about 4 gig cards? :laughing:

Still waiting for someone to provide some good info on 8 gigs or above. Not interested in anything 4 gig or less, we all know they work.

--Marky

Which is why I specifically asked about 8gig or larger SDHC cards. :rolleyes: People seem to think that 4gig SDHC cards are working, I was just wondering if anyone used anything bigger with any success.

--Marky

I am using a 4gb SDHC card in my 300. I have about 300gb's of Topo 2008 data on the card; it works fine. I also have an 8gb SDHC card which I am using in a camera. I have not tried the 8gb card in the 300.

300gb on a 4gb card

great

Which is why I specifically asked about 8gig or larger SDHC cards. :rolleyes: People seem to think that 4gig SDHC cards are working, I was just wondering if anyone used anything bigger with any success.

--Marky

300gb on a 4gb card

great

It must be compressed data. :lol:

Which is why I specifically asked about 8gig or larger SDHC cards. :) People seem to think that 4gig SDHC cards are working, I was just wondering if anyone used anything bigger with any success.

--Marky

300gb on a 4gb card

great

It must be compressed data. :)

And it must be very precise DEM Topos :D

Like 1:1000 :laughing:

Also, I contact Garmin again to confirm a 4gb sdhc card would work and got the response "The unit will accept a 4GB standard Micro SD card."

... good to know they got their information straight :laughing:

Well, technically, that's correct. If you put a Micro SD into its standard SD sleeve, it should work fine in the Colorado. :D

Now, really people, can we get off the 4gig topic and have someone please test an 8gig or bigger card? :)

Also, I contact Garmin again to confirm a 4gb sdhc card would work and got the response "The unit will accept a 4GB standard Micro SD card."

... good to know they got their information straight :laughing:

Well, technically, that's correct. If you put a Micro SD into its standard SD sleeve, it should work fine in the Colorado. :)

Now, really people, can we get off the 4gig topic and have someone please test an 8gig or bigger card? :D

I was told the GPSr would accept any sized card but it would only read from the first 4gigs. Does this make sense and how would you test this theory?

I'm sure some smarty out there can come up with a way to test if data stored above 4gigs can be pulled up and used.

Which is why I specifically asked about 8gig or larger SDHC cards. :laughing: People seem to think that 4gig SDHC cards are working, I was just wondering if anyone used anything bigger with any success.

--Marky

300gb on a 4gb card

great

It must be compressed data. :)

And it must be very precise DEM Topos :)

Like 1:1000 :D

Well boys, today I loaded my 8GB SDHC card with Topo 2008 and installed it in my 300. But sadly you found my previous truthful answer quite humorous, and you though that my answer deserved sarcastic responses. Instead of acting like gentlemen, you acted like foolish little children. So I will respond in kind; you will have to wait for someone else to give you an answer to your question.

Edited by Barrikady

But sadly you found my previous truthful answer quite humorous, and you though that my answer deserved sarcastic responses. Instead of acting like gentlemen, you acted like foolish little children. So I will respond in kind; you will have to wait for someone else to give you an answer to you question.

What they found humorous was your typo, not your post.... Carefully read your post.....

But sadly you found my previous truthful answer quite humorous, and you though that my answer deserved sarcastic responses. Instead of acting like gentlemen, you acted like foolish little children. So I will respond in kind; you will have to wait for someone else to give you an answer to you question.

What they found humorous was your typo, not your post.... Carefully read your post.....

What he said. :laughing: If you took offense, it certainly wasn't intended. I'm perfectly happy to wait for someone else to post this answer. Actually, even though I have 4 gig cards, I don't have any card in my Colorado and don't currently need one. So I don't know why I want to know this answer, except for educational purposes. Maybe someone else is more interested than I. :)

--Marky

Well, if anyone really wants to know the answer, then send me a Colorado and I'll buy an 8Gig SDHC card. I'll test to see if the card is recognized and if so I will load it up and test to see if data past the 4Gig mark can be accessed and I'll post the results. I won't even be upset if the card doesn't work at all with the unit and I'm stuck with a useless card. :mad:

Well, if anyone really wants to know the answer, then send me a Colorado and I'll buy an 8Gig SDHC card. I'll test to see if the card is recognized and if so I will load it up and test to see if data past the 4Gig mark can be accessed and I'll post the results. I won't even be upset if the card doesn't work at all with the unit and I'm stuck with a useless card. :mad:

And a Colorado . . . ;^)

Norm

There's a lot of mixed signals on this topic. Has anyone had any success with SDHC cards 8gig or larger?

I was told by Garmin's tech weenies that 4 GB was the upper limit. I think there's no such thing as a non-SDHC 4 GB (or larger) card.

There are non-SDHC 4GB cards. I know because I own two.

A-Data made a 150x 4GB card. The SDHC cards are cheaper now of course.

There's a lot of mixed signals on this topic. Has anyone had any success with SDHC cards 8gig or larger?

I was told by Garmin's tech weenies that 4 GB was the upper limit. I think there's no such thing as a non-SDHC 4 GB (or larger) card.

There are non-SDHC 4GB cards. I know because I own two.

A-Data made a 150x 4GB card. The SDHC cards are cheaper now of course.

In fact they exist, but they shouldn't, as the standard tops at 2GB. They don't even have the SD logo on it (or if they do, it's illegal, because it's not a "real" SD card). They work most of time, but it if doesn't, you don't have to wonder why.

as for a quick note: i tried the Kingston SD6/8GB (SDHC, Class6) with no problem at all. but for the sad part, i havent got more than 1,3gb of legit maps.. guess ill have to crack some heavy ones to try if i can fill the card with somthing to try the actual sizelimit of the card. :)

Edited by rmd
as for a quick note: i tried the Kingston SD6/8GB (SDHC, Class6) with no problem at all. but for the sad part, i havent got more than 1,3gb of legit maps.. guess ill have to crack some heavy ones to try if i can fill the card with somthing to try the actual sizelimit of the card. :ph34r:
Before you (ahem) start talking about cracking maps, you'll find all of the free ones you could possibly load into your card at gpsfiledepot.com and http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php

I contacted Garmin and they told me the Colorado can accept up to a 4gb SD card, but would not accept SDHC cards. This is confusing since I can't really find any 4gb SD cards that aren't SDHC.

Can anyone confirm that the Garmin Colorado will accept a 4gb SDHC card?

Thanks

I am using 16GB SDHC card in my Colorado 300.

I have 4.7 GB of maps and some Birdseye imagery. It works fine.

Problem you will run into with big cards is tile limit, it is something like 4000 tiles. I wanted to put complete Topo US 2008, Topo 24k West, Topo 24k SouthWest, Topo 24k National Parks and City Navigator on it but it is not possible. Just Topo US 2008 has more than 4000 tiles (6631 to be exact). Another limit is that image file cannot be more than 4GB.

Third problem with large cards is that if you use Colorado for upload, it takes forever so you better get SDHC card reader (you can buy card+reader combo) but you will also need modified MapSource which can send the maps to any drive (I found about it in one of the posts about tile limit, unfortunately I don't remember where).

I have found that my Colorado will take most, but I do have a 8g card from Microcenter(their branded cheap ones) and it will not work, as soon as I boot up it will hang up and just do weird things, it only happens with this one card and the card is fine for everything else, camera, pc....so not sure what that is about, so I just dont use that one card with my Colorado....

Id like to be able to get a Colorado T image file copied to my card so I could get the entire US on there, but for now just have a North and South US topo I can swap out, I hardly ever need the North one as I live in Texas and dont go up very often.