Map of all trackables

Kealia

I'm not sure how feasible this is, but what about having a map that shows the spot where all of your trackables are currently located? Not an individual map for one singe trackable detailing where it's been, but one map for all.

Think of it like the Google mpas that show nearby caches. A link from your profile to "map all" would show the world map with pushpins for each trackable.

Do-able?

Anybody else interested in this?

Sounds interesting to me. I'd particularly like it if I could also select which of my trackables to show.

I have a series of TBs sent out by my classes (one each year). It would be very cool to be able to see where each of them are at any given time.

I'm not sure how feasible this is, but what about having a map that shows the spot where all of your trackables are currently located? Not an individual map for one singe trackable detailing where it's been, but one map for all.

Think of it like the Google mpas that show nearby caches. A link from your profile to "map all" would show the world map with pushpins for each trackable.

Do-able?

I would like to see it go a step further. I would like to be able to call up a Google map of an area and not see little icons for caches, but little icons for travelers. I could quickly see if there were clusters of caches with TBs or coins.

Do-able?

I would like to see it go a step further. I would like to be able to call up a Google map of an area and not see little icons for caches, but little icons for travelers. I could quickly see if there were clusters of caches with TBs or coins.

That already exists for coins... not for travel bugs though:

Home > Trackables > Geocoins Home

I really like the idea of having a link to from my account that'll show a map of all of my TB's and coins. I have many that are in Europe and would love a quick and easy view of them. Maybe even a KML for Google Earth.

Do-able?

Huh! I never knew about that map of coins. Thanks! It only shows coins near my home location, but better than nothing, I guess. Also, some of the "coins" on the map are Jeep Travel Bugs. :laughing:

Do-able?

Huh! I never knew about that map of coins. Thanks! It only shows coins near my home location, but better than nothing, I guess. Also, some of the "coins" on the map are Jeep Travel Bugs. :laughing:

I think it'll show Jeep TB's and UFD Travel Bug's. You'll notice on cache pages that they are listed seperately than other TBs'. I think it's they way the build them in the database with the unique icons.

Do-able?

Sounds like a cool idea :laughing:

I think it would be "easy" to do if you didn't have many trackable items. But then you have to take in to account if someone put it in a PM only cache or if its in a cache that's not currently in play (archived, not approved, etc)

I'll add it to the "idea" list for V2

-Raine

Certainly good points. I assumed when I threw the idea out there that some limitations would have to be put in place.

Whether they be limiting to a number of trackables on each map, non-PM caches, archived, etc.

Thanks for listening. I know not everything makes it into a release/upgrade.

I'm going to bump this request to see if there's any interest again.

Another idea would be to generate a PQ of the trackables that could be opened off-line in GE, thereby keeping the hits to the GS database to a minimum.

Anybody else want to see where all of their trackables are on one map?

I'm interested in a map that would show MY trackables. I think that's what you're proposing. It'd be great if we could link it to our profile where many people show their stats.

Yes, that's what I'm proposing. A map that shows all the trackables that I (you) own and their current location.

The alternative is a PQ containing all that data that could be opened in GoogleEarth so show their locations.

Do-able?

I am!

Love the idea of tracking my own trackables (or what's left of them) as a precursor to mapping coins in selected locations other than those closest to home.

I think this is a very cool idea, but there has to be a limit. I have 10 TB's and 3 coins - not a problem. I have a friend with 733 TB's and 666 coins. I would hate to 1) wait for that map to draw and 2) it would be so cluttered that you wouldn't be able to see much at all.

I think this is a very cool idea, but there has to be a limit. I have 10 TB's and 3 coins - not a problem. I have a friend with 733 TB's and 666 coins. I would hate to 1) wait for that map to draw and 2) it would be so cluttered that you wouldn't be able to see much at all.

Agreed. I have a friend with more lost trackables than I've set free!

I'm sure TPTB will come up with something if they decide to implement this. Maybe it's a PQ that you can open in GE or another program if your owned trackables exceed X. Dunno, just thinking out loud.

I like this idea as well.

I have the beginnings of such a thing here, which I created for the South African TB race (http://www.sageostats.co.za/tbrace/bugLocations.php).

I read the KML files once a day from GS, parse them and get the last GPS location, this is then manually added to a XML file, which the flash map reads. The GPS locations are also used on the Partisipants page, and then another request made to: http://www.geonames.org/ to get additional information.

This could all be added into a GSAK macro, only thing is GS does not allow the embedding of Flash files, but it could be displayed on a GIF / JPG file.

This would be a great feature to have! :)

At the moment I have a "low tech" mapping system which consists of 3 maps stuck to my wall (UK, Western Europe, World) with about a hundred homemade little flag pins stuck into them marking the locations of all my trackables. Every couple of weeks I move them around a bit - It's done wonders for my geography! :o

MrsB