Ever Meet another cacher while going for an FTF?

Ever been on a cache hunt and run into another cacher going for an FTF? Just wondering what you would do. If it was an easy one would you pretend to be a muggle so they leave and you can log the FTF, or search for it together. :smile:

In my state, it has been legal since May 2006 for a geocacher on an FTF mission to kill any other FTF competitors in order to ensure their FTF. And, since all the Maryland cachers agree with this law, and all Maryland cachers who are FTF hounds are packing heat because of this law, it only makes sense to shoot first while on an FTF hunt, as it really comes down to "kill or be killed".

Post the coordinates on the log as to where the family can find the body...we're serious about scoring that FTF :smile:

Ever been on a cache hunt and run into another cacher going for an FTF? Just wondering what you would do. If it was an easy one would you pretend to be a muggle so they leave and you can log the FTF, or search for it together. :)

In my state, it has been legal since May 2006 for a geocacher on an FTF mission to kill any other FTF competitors in order to ensure their FTF. And, since all the Maryland cachers agree with this law, and all Maryland cachers who are FTF hounds are packing heat because of this law, it only makes sense to shoot first while on an FTF hunt, as it really comes down to "kill or be killed".

:):):)

Nice, It would be O.K. then right?

Ever been on a cache hunt and run into another cacher going for an FTF? Just wondering what you would do. If it was an easy one would you pretend to be a muggle so they leave and you can log the FTF, or search for it together. :smile:

Seriously, we would look for it together is how I would handle it.

It's happened to me twice.

Once, I had already made the find, and was signing the log when he pulled up. I offered to rehide it while he turned his back, but he was content just to sign in.

The other time we were about to leave after hunting one which we suspected had bum coordinates when he arrived. We told him we were heading out, and wished him luck.

In each case, we introduced ourselves. You aren't going to be able to hide. You're holding a GPS, loitering around the area of a new cache, and the other cacher has probably been watching you for a little while. Might as well to meet another cacher and find the cache together.

Not that I'm that much of an FTF hound... But I can think of five or six times it's happened.

Beat one person by fifteen minutes. Met him on the way out. Just found another as the other person approached. Spent a half hour looking with the other cachers. Cache owner had a bad math error. Nope the second sstage was not in someone's living room! Most fun was on an icy day. Neither of us would give up while the other was looking! Sliding down the crust of ice on the snow is always fun. Especially with someone watching. I got 2nd to Find on that one.

It's happened to me twice.

Once, I had already made the find, and was signing the log when he pulled up. I offered to rehide it while he turned his back, but he was content just to sign in.

The other time we were about to leave after hunting one which we suspected had bum coordinates when he arrived. We told him we were heading out, and wished him luck.

In each case, we introduced ourselves. You aren't going to be able to hide. You're holding a GPS, loitering around the area of a new cache, and the other cacher has probably been watching you for a little while. Might as well to meet another cacher and find the cache together.

Not that I'm that much of an FTF hound... But I can think of five or six times it's happened.

Beat one person by fifteen minutes. Met him on the way out. Just found another as the other person approached. Spent a half hour looking with the other cachers. Cache owner had a bad math error. Nope the second sstage was not in someone's living room! Most fun was on an icy day. Neither of us would give up while the other was looking! Sliding down the crust of ice on the snow is always fun. Especially with someone watching. I got 2nd to Find on that one.

Sounds like the proper etiquette to search together to me. Always interested in meeting new cachers, only done it once on my ninth cache.

It happens all the time in Central Iowa. The FTF is awesome and we have about four to five "players." Others come and go, but the more players, the faster your heart beats driving to the cache. It's awesome and obsessive! Wait....what's that...my alert is going off....gotta go......................

Post the coordinates on the log as to where the family can find the body...we're serious about scoring that FTF :)

Ever been on a cache hunt and run into another cacher going for an FTF? Just wondering what you would do. If it was an easy one would you pretend to be a muggle so they leave and you can log the FTF, or search for it together. :)

:smile::):)

Exactly! At that point, since it is kill or be killed, it is, for me, not only legal but morally and ethically okay, because I know in my heart that the other slimy riff-raff FTF hounds would shoot me on sight. Besides, I like the adrenalin rush of having to be the first to shoot and of having to make sure that it is a killing shot. Totally fun! :)

Post the coordinates on the log as to where the family can find the body...we're serious about scoring that FTF :)

:smile::):)

Exactly! At that point, since it is kill or be killed, it is, for me, not only legal but morally and ethically okay, because I know in my heart that the other slimy riff-raff FTF hounds would shoot me on sight. Besides, I like the adrenalin rush of having to be the first to shoot and of having to make sure that it is a killing shot. Totally fun! :)

:) Woooo Hoooo! FTF!!!!!!! :):DB) Had to shoot Vinny. Sorry, Sue. He should be OK, got him in the head. :D CITO'd my shell casings and signed the log. TFTC!!! :D

:) Woooo Hoooo! FTF!!!!!!! :):):) Had to shoot Vinny. Sorry, Sue. He should be OK, got him in the head. :) CITO'd my shell casings and signed the log. TFTC!!! :D

:smile: It's so refreshing to see someone picking up after themselves...

Okay... B) ...seriously... :D ...no, really... :)

I'd think you find it together and each log a coFTF but it's up to the cache owner to award said coFTF...IMHO :) I've seen that done in our neck of the woods.

(P.S.) I like smileys :D

:D Woooo Hoooo! FTF!!!!!!! :D:D:D Had to shoot Vinny. Sorry, Sue. He should be OK, got him in the head. :( CITO'd my shell casings and signed the log. TFTC!!! :D

Wow! I thought the cachers in our area were blood-thirsty! :D

Meeting other cachers on a FTF run happens quite often. When it happens while caching with your fourteen year old daughter at 11:30 at night about a half mile into the woods, you really hope the flashlight coming your way is being carried by another cacher. (It was.) :D

Meeting other cachers on a FTF run happens quite often. When it happens while caching with your fourteen year old daughter at 11:30 at night about a half mile into the woods, you really hope the flashlight coming your way is being carried by another cacher. (It was.) :(

Personally, if I were with a 14 year old daughter in the Wisonsin woods at midnight I'd be armed.

Here the first three logs out of a local cache

May 31, 2007 by Furterbrown (301 found)

FTF if that translates to fourth to find. Saw this one and off, a quick run close to home only to find I've been beaten by the three mousecachers. And by 15mins only, a little quicker through dinner and I could have caught them in the act, pretended to muggle them off and grabbed the prize.

A well stocked cache with a nice view. Thanks Mr Router.

May 31, 2007 by Skeeta (50 found)

This cache should be called Pit Street.Three cars in the car park at one time.Third to find great hide keep up the good work thanks mr router tnln

May 31, 2007 by JABs (580 found)

well what abusy part of the world this is.had just loggeg old mens camp when this popped up so a print out of co-ords and we where off.a car turns the same way just in front onto dirt we go and there in the distant coming our way is any car, I pull up in third place and the race was on and there as i turn the torch found.

So FTF Third to arrive or is that the other way round..

JABs

May 31, 2007 by The Unbreakables (86 found)

New cache up, shopping to do oh the delema, solution drop off the domestic engineer and away we go hunting a virgin.

Was first at Gz, waited for a few cars to pass only to find they were here for the same reason, no be my guest here, off we went.

Tourches blazing, we had a gander then our beams met and bingo, Jabs was closer to the spot so FTF goes to him, congrats, me and skeets made first two of the loosers!!

Well my father and I went for a FTF in a Nor Easter and met up with two other cachers and we searched and searched with him and I was getting tooo wet so my father and I abandoned the search and by the time I got home the other cacher had logged it...Oh well if I had stuck around I would have had Co-FTF bragging rights..

It was for this cache Downtown/Main St. USA Scotch Plains, NJ.

Before I came along, it seemed the first person to lay hands on the cache got FTF and everyone else was out of luck. When with me, everyone in the area got FTF so there would be more cooperation.

However, one person still said only the person laying hands on it would be FTF. To get even with him one time, I found the cache while he was looking, I continued searching while signing the log, replaced the cache, and continued to act like I was looking. After a while, I seemed to get frustrated and wanted to give it up. You can read the log at http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...88-0554e10a06a9 There's a lot more information than the glossed-over version I gave in this post.

In my area, we have a few people that might go for FTF. Team Fuzzie seems to clean up most of them when allowed, but there are all sorts of major players. The competition is fairly relaxed and we don't get uptight about it. I'm the major player with 358 FTFs since I began in April 2006. My main concern is someone coming into my area and sniping our new caches. If that happens, it shows the area isn't as active as it should be. Obviously, I love to snipe other areas' FTFs when I'm out of town.

However, one person still said only the person laying hands on it would be FTF. To get even with him one time, I found the cache while he was looking, I continued searching while signing the log, replaced the cache, and continued to act like I was looking.

Good story.

I was once on my way to a new cache after work when a caching buddy called and asked what I was doing. I told him I was on my way to the dentist, and asked him what he was doing. He replied that he had to work late. I had the FTF five minutes later, and left the area ASAP. Ten minutes after that he called and simply said "a**". Fun stuff.