Google Map Viewiing

netfan

I am a relative newbie, so forgive me if this is in discussion somewhere else...

Recently there were a couple of days where I saw "cache bundles" while in Google Map view. There were light blue outlines around areas where the cache count showed, rather than the actual cache icons. So you could see areas from a wide view where 50+ or 25+ caches existed. It was a really nice feature, I thought, but it went away. I haven't see that view for over a week.

Did something change and then change back, or is it something I stumbled upon and can duplicate again?

Thanks,

Netfan

I am a relative newbie, so forgive me if this is in discussion somewhere else...

Recently there were a couple of days where I saw "cache bundles" while in Google Map view. There were light blue outlines around areas where the cache count showed, rather than the actual cache icons. So you could see areas from a wide view where 50+ or 25+ caches existed. It was a really nice feature, I thought, but it went away. I haven't see that view for over a week.

Did something change and then change back, or is it something I stumbled upon and can duplicate again?

Thanks,

Netfan

That option is gone now. Not many people seemed to like it. I know I didn't like it.

I liked it very much, and would like to see it return. Maybe it could be a check box on the side of the map for "bundle caches" or something like that.

Another thing I would like to see is the ability to turn off the white squares around the cache icons on the maps. While some may appreciate them more than I, I liked the map more without them.

The maps could be made more robust with client-side scripting, thus not increasing load on the GS servers.

KRnlKilR

That option is gone now. Not many people seemed to like it. I know I didn't like it.

Well, are we getting a vote? Or do "many people" have more pull on this site than I?

I actually liked it...uncluttered my maps, allowed them to load faster. If it could be an option, that would be nice. I realize change is difficult, but how long was that left into place? Not even a week maybe.......

Someone must have thought it was a good idea at some point for it to be implemented originally. Why did it go?

Edited by PhxChem

Not sure of other reasons, but I for one (and a number of other i believe - for maps outside the US) were getting map crashes with the new system... so I'm happy we went back.

optins on the mpas would be good - the best suggestion I read on the forums was that the developers had a 'playpen' to test these things out (like google labs).

I find the map invaluable - pleasr don't break it again!!!!

Thanks,

Netfan

I saw this too and thought it was a good feature. It sure was better than seeing a note that more than 500 caches were in the view. How about if it only showed up this way after a certain zoom setting? That way you could see the caches in less dense places without cluttering the map on a wide view.

Edited by Bayou Talker

Eventually we would like to give everyone the option to turn clustering on, but development time is precious and we've already spent longer on the maps than we would have liked. I don't think we'll be looking at the maps again for at least 6 months or more. Right now I believe we have a map that appeals to the majority of users (this is based on forum response over the last few months).

Not to drag up an old wound or anything, but it's been well over a year since this discussion "ended". Any possible developments on the google map front? Not sure what everyone else is experiencing, but the feature is nearly worthless for me the way it works now... takes forever and crashes all the time.

Not to drag up an old wound or anything, but it's been well over a year since this discussion "ended". Any possible developments on the google map front? Not sure what everyone else is experiencing, but the feature is nearly worthless for me the way it works now... takes forever and crashes all the time.

Try the Safari 4 beta. It's Javascript performance is incredible, which really helps for the online google maps.

http://www.apple.com/safari/download/

Not the best browser for every day use, i prefer firefox, but it's amazing to see how javascript performance-dependent the GC google maps are.

Try the Safari 4 beta. It's Javascript performance is incredible, which really helps for the online google maps.

http://www.apple.com/safari/download/

Not the best browser for every day use, i prefer firefox, but it's amazing to see how javascript performance-dependent the GC google maps are.

Google Chrome is also excellent on the JavaScript performance front, and the next Firefox release is supposed to be about as good.

I tried Safari on Windows and just didn't like it. But I also prefer Firefox on my Mac over Safari there.

Google Chrome is also excellent on the JavaScript performance front, and the next Firefox release is supposed to be about as good.

I tried Safari on Windows and just didn't like it. But I also prefer Firefox on my Mac over Safari there.

Thanks for your comments... tried Chrome and the results are excellent as compared to IE. I must confess though, I still hearken for the "bundles" feature...