cant find

crackle

went to saintbridge balancing pond cache site again today at around lunch time between 1300 hours and 1400 hours many muggles to pretend to be just walking the kids and pretending to watch what they were doing as to the encrypted note second rail about 2 feet up is that a red herring as i looked at all rail attachments? :)

i did see a man walking a greyhound the previous night and did wonder why he looked at me strange when i moved away from the cache site area :)

went to saintbridge balancing pond cache site again today at around lunch time between 1300 hours and 1400 hours many muggles to pretend to be just walking the kids and pretending to watch what they were doing as to the encrypted note second rail about 2 feet up is that a red herring as i looked at all rail attachments? :)

i did see a man walking a greyhound the previous night and did wonder why he looked at me strange when i moved away from the cache site area :)

Have you asked the cache owner for a hint? :)

Looks like a micro. As a novice, you're best off starting with regular sized caches. Micros can be frustrating even to long time geocachers.

The cache description says it's a nano -- even more likely to cause frustration :smile:

True. A nano is not much larger than a pencil eraser. I mean the kind on the end of a pencil, not one of the square ones in your desk.

Edited by briansnat

Hey, it looks like you "almost" met the cache owner the other night. Why not drop him a note and introduce yourself!

Micros are more challenging, especially when you are first starting out and you are still learning to use the GPS to locate the hiding spot and learning to recognize a hidden cache. Nanos are even more challenging, since they are so very small. Still, it can to done and fun can be had--our first 20 finds were mostly micros and we fell in loe with caching while doing them.

I do recommend you seek a variety of cache types, so you can learn which aspects of geocaching appeal most to you. I looked about your neighborhood a bit and you have some variety. Johnny Vegas has suggested a cache that looks very "findable" and this one looks easy enough as well.

There is even an earthcache nearby:earthcache (No container to find there, just some tasks to do to prove you learnt something from your visit) and there is a multi-cache not far away that sounds pleasant.

HI all and thanks for the advise even without the aids of maps or gps i managed to find the nano cache at the balancing pond in saintbridge gloucester GC15QY8

was the size of my thumb nail signed log and was well chuffed going for my next cache soon as poss ;-)

Congrats on the find. Now that you have found one nano cache it'll likely be easier to find the next one as you'll have an idea what to look for.

That said, there are several clues on a cache listing page (assuming the information is accurate) that can help you find the cache, or at least eliminate some potential hiding spots.

The cache size listing may tell what kind of container you may be looking for. For example, if the listing indicates that it is a large cache you can limit your search to places which will hold something as large as an ammo can. If it's listed as a micro (and especially if the listing indicates that it's a nano), as you approach the area where the cache is hidden, think to yourself, where would I hide something here about the size of a film container. Quite often, if the cache is listed as a micro, it means that there isn't anywhere nearby big enough to hide something larger.

The difficulty listing can often indicate how thoroughly you should look in different areas. A cache with a 1-2 difficulty probably means the hiding location is going to be fairly obvious, so take a step back and look around for obvious hiding locations.

The terrain listing can be very useful. For example, a week ago I was searching for a cache that is hidden on a tank (often one of the most difficult hides due to all the potential hiding spots). The terrain listing was a 1, which means that it's wheelchair accessible. That eliminated most of the potential hiding places. Similarly if you get to a cache area for a cache with a terrain of 3 or higher and it's been an easy walk up to that point look for places which are more inaccessible (for example, you may have to climb a tree)

If the listing indicates that the container is magnetic you can usually limit your searches to areas with metal and you're probably looking for a hide-a-key container.

If the listing indicates that it's well-cammo'd you're probably looking for a container that blends in with something in the area rather than a container that is under/behind something. If there are lots of rocks on the ground, one of them might not be a real rock. If there is a pine tree in the area, look for fake pine cones.

Sometimes even the hidden date can give you a clue.