Geocaching video game

shuccrum

I don't see why someone doesn't develop a geocaching video game. I can thinks of all kinds all kinds of situations-muggles, travel bugs, different kinds of caches, terrain, etc.

Well, since video games are produced for the masses, and most of those masses have no idea what the heck Geocaching is, I'd say it likely would not be a big seller. I just can't see the TV ad for "Geocaching" on the Xbox, Gamecube, and PS3.

Besides, introducing our game en masse to the video game generation would likely damage our game, since there are so many kids who like to to vandalize or destroy anything they can get their hands on. This idea scares me.

Also there's the idea of taking a pastime that gets us exercise and making it into another sedentary activity.

Wait! I just thought of what you can call the video game... "Cache Potato"

[Edited by moderator to remove potty language. Don't be a potty mouth in our family-friendly forum. Thanks.]

Edited by Keystone

I don't see why someone doesn't develop a geocaching video game. I can thinks of all kinds all kinds of situations-muggles, travel bugs, different kinds of caches, terrain, etc.

Well, since video games are produced for the masses, and most of those masses have no idea what the heck Geocaching is, I'd say it likely would not be a big seller. I just can't see the TV ad for "Geocaching" on the Xbox, Gamecube, and PS3.

Besides, introducing our game en masse to the video game generation would likely damage our game, since there are so many kids who like to to vandalize or destroy anything they can get their hands on. This idea scares me.

Also there's the idea of taking a pastime that gets us exercise and making it into another sedentary activity.

Wait! I just thought of what you can call the video game... "Cache Potato"

ROTFLMAO!!! :):):):D

That is one of the reasons I got into geocaching... Getting my 9 year old off the Playstation and out on the trails.

Edited by Keystone

I think it's a cool idea. Something like a RPG for geocachers. Something to do on a rainy/snowy, bad day for caching in real life.

I think we need to be less worried about the masses finding out about our game. We're always looking for more people to become interested in it - More players, more caches. Yes, more problems too, but that's beside the point... it's true of any hobby, sport, etc...

Much better to play it in the real life. Get to see all the cool places in person rather than pixel. There are certain things in life that are better suited to video games and those usually involve reckless driving, running around killing people and playing solitaire and a classic from the old ZX Spectrum, Trashman (Man I loved that game). Then there are things I would rather do in real life, like Geocaching...... But then again.... Sounds like a great idea, mybe a Java based one for Geocaching.com? Joefrog you listening.

I wish I could remember Jeremy's response to this suggestion, it was great!

Geocaching is all about getting off the couch and going somewhere, plus it is generally frowned upon to randomly shoot and blow up others while geocaching.

Rivers of blood and gore-splattered walls are not (intentionally!) part of geocaching either, so I doubt that video gamers would be interested!

Geocaching is all about getting off the couch and going somewhere, plus it is generally frowned upon to randomly shoot and blow up others while geocaching.

Hey, this is starting to sound interesting now! :)

On a video game, how would you replicate;

1) Pulling thorns, stickers, and burrs out of your legs and arms?

2) The unique aroma in the car after caching at the local dog park?

3) Mosquito bites?

4) Frantically searching for a near dead battery so you don't have to hike back out, run to the store, and hike back in?

5) Spider bites?

6) Sticking your hand into some dark hole or animal burrow and feeling around?

7) Wasp stings?

8) Stepping on leaf covered ground and sinking up to your waste in muck?

9) Big mosquito bites?

10) I'm still fairly new, but I'm sure there is much more, in geocaching adventures that I haven't encoutered yet that you couldn't reproduce in a game.

11) Did I mention Mosquito bites?

I think it's a cool idea. Something like a RPG for geocachers. Something to do on a rainy/snowy, bad day for caching in real life.

I think we need to be less worried about the masses finding out about our game. We're always looking for more people to become interested in it - More players, more caches. Yes, more problems too, but that's beside the point... it's true of any hobby, sport, etc...

I know I personally was Extatic to find a family activity that got my children and Husband AWAY form the videogames and TV this would only defeat my purpose!

On a video game, how would you replicate;

1) Pulling thorns, stickers, and burrs out of your legs and arms?

2) The unique aroma in the car after caching at the local dog park?

3) Mosquito bites?

4) Frantically searching for a near dead battery so you don't have to hike back out, run to the store, and hike back in?

5) Spider bites?

6) Sticking your hand into some dark hole or animal burrow and feeling around?

7) Wasp stings?

8) Stepping on leaf covered ground and sinking up to your waste in muck?

9) Big mosquito bites?

10) I'm still fairly new, but I'm sure there is much more, in geocaching adventures that I haven't encoutered yet that you couldn't reproduce in a game.

11) Did I mention Mosquito bites?

diedofdysentery.jpg

There are a couple online simulator games. This one has been around for quite a while. This site was designed as a promotional tie-in with the book Scavenger. It was kind of fun to play.

I've already created two text-based caching video games (one is make-believe, the second is a actual replication of downtown Riverside, CA, apparently I beat Wherigo to the punch :laughing: ), and the third text game I'm on working on is a historical education game.

I'm also in the works of create a 3d fantasy caching video game as we speak. I have the terrain and envt (world) almost built now, next onto the mobs and quests.

MrW.

PS: See the bookmark list at http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.a...ac-ce44490a2c55 for more text games.

On the Jeep website, they have a geocaching videogame you can download. It's fun for about 5 minutes, and gets old real fast, but the gist is:

It's a free roam on foot or in various jeep vehicles, 3d game a la Grand Theft Auto, but without the violence. You drive or run over geocaches, which are rotating tubes that float a foot off the ground. The more caches you find, more start to show up. I think there are 50 caches in each of 4 areas, and the incentive to complete an area is that you unlock a jeep geocaching postcard you can email people. There are also little mini-games in each area, which is generally to complete a check-point course in a set time.

It's kind of fun, the towns and mountains, hills, trees, etc look pretty nice, but there is no interaction with anything in the environment, and the control of the vehicles is simplistic.

The funny thing is that I kept driving to where a cache shows up on the onscreen GPS, and I would jump out of the vehicles to collect it (just as you would in the real world). I had about 60 caches before I realized you can simply run over the caches while driving to collect them. I'd recommend download it, play for a bit, then delete.

EDIT: Here is the web address for the game:

http://www.jeep.com/games/geocaching.html

Edited by admo1972