need advice on container

Prfctly Mad

I have had a cache out for awhile (GCKJDH) and it is located on a Small Island in a saltwater marsh. I like the cache and the location but the saltwater is eating up Ammo boxes, I am looking for one of two things, A way to make ammo boxes more rust/saltwater resistant or a different container. (Not Micro) I have tried the different tupperware type containers and they fare far worse than the ammo boxes.

I have thought about using a rust-olem primer and a marine hull paint on the ammo boxes but I am not positive this would help. Does anyone have any suggestions, I don't want to archive it but I also don't want to replace it every few months. The ammo boxes stay watertight.. the just get rusted shut

I would think the primer and marine grade paint over the entire surface would be a big help but a cache in that environment is going to need more frequent maintenance than one in the woods. Maybe a container made of fiberglass would work but you would need to find one that is water tight.

One thing you can do is paint it as suggested. You can also attach a sacrificial anode to the cache and replace that once in a while instead of the cache. I suspect though the cost of the anode would be more than replacing ammo cans.

I think for durability a Pelican Container type container with plastic or non corroding hinges is the best one going.

I have had a cache out for awhile (GCKJDH) and it is located on a Small Island in a saltwater marsh. I like the cache and the location but the saltwater is eating up Ammo boxes, I am looking for one of two things, A way to make ammo boxes more rust/saltwater resistant or a different container. (Not Micro) I have tried the different tupperware type containers and they fare far worse than the ammo boxes.

I have thought about using a rust-olem primer and a marine hull paint on the ammo boxes but I am not positive this would help. Does anyone have any suggestions, I don't want to archive it but I also don't want to replace it every few months. The ammo boxes stay watertight.. the just get rusted shut

testing

I'ts been quite a while ago, but I saw a plastic ammo can at (I think) Northern Tools.

It looked very much like a ammo can, and was about the same size.

I just dismissed it, as I wasn't Geocaching then, and I had a few real ones laying around.

If this is what I think it is, they're usually sold as "dry boxes". In our experience with them though, they aren't very good at staying dry!

They do have a latch like an ammo can, and an o-ring, but they don't seal nearly as tight, and because they're plastic, the sides tend to move/warp over time, which allows water to get in.

PVC?

FIIEZB2F2H0OYGC.MEDIUM.jpg

Has it's drawbacks, but is really cheap!

I've never found a cache in a PVC pipe that was dry inside. Not one and I've found dozens.

As far as being cheap, I priced the parts at Home Depot one day. Came to $14. If you have the parts laying around, it can be cheap, but if you have to buy them the cost adds up.

...the just get rusted shut

Is the latches rusting shut? I've seen more hinges rusting than the latch. If so, find an ammo box with a double latch.

If the latch is rusting shut there's not much paint or whatever can help.

If the sides are rusting and making it stay shut, then bend the sides of the lid out a little bit so it doesn't rub the main container.

You didn't mention if the container is getting submerged or if the salt spray is affecting it. If it is not getting submerged maybe a shallow platform and a cover. A piece of that cubed ceiling tile that goes over the fluorescent lights could act as a nice platform. Then cut and carve a log large enough to go over the ammo box as a cover.

If the sand stays mostly dry on which it is sitting a gillie suit of sorts might be fashioned to cover the container to keep the salt spray off it. You'd have to play with something that will keep the spray off, but allow condensation out.

On that note, what about a plastic container that will fit in an ammo can? Paint and camo the can, sans lid, to act a cover and protector for the plastic container which will keep the contents dry. Might have to cut holes in each of the bottom corners of the can to keep water from collecting.

Just a few suggestions that hopefully will spark an idea.

Have you thought about making one out of acrylic? It's used to make aquariums and can be purchased at a reasonable cost at Lowes and Home Depot. You can easily seal almost the whole thing with aquarium grade silicone. The upper portion of the container you could use a large rubber o-ring, and the hinges will last through the saltwater if you buy stainless steel (also available at the same stores). It would be pricier than an ammo, but cheaper than having to keep replacing the ammo can. Acrylic paints really easily too.