Replacement OS map on GC Page

Thanks for pulling this up, I didn't immediately catch it as I'm now checking the forums less frequently.

I've also been running the beta firefox version with which greasemonkey was incompatible, but I've got it reinstalled now and will try and find the problem.

From a quick look, it may not be an easy fix. The only solution I can see currently is to revert back to the previous version of greasemonkey, I'll try and get this issue fixed soon.

Thanks for pulling this up, I didn't immediately catch it as I'm now checking the forums less frequently.

I've also been running the beta firefox version with which greasemonkey was incompatible, but I've got it reinstalled now and will try and find the problem.

From a quick look, it may not be an easy fix. The only solution I can see currently is to revert back to the previous version of greasemonkey, I'll try and get this issue fixed soon.

Sorry edgy, should have replied to this earlier. The OS maps seem to have fixed itself – I strongly suspect that the connection to the OS map was the problem, due to a server issue at their end, which has not been fixed! All working smoothly!

Its no problem with the script or any of our computers. As mentioned in an earlier reply its a problem at multimaps end. How do I know? I was reading the event page for a new event that Mongers is doing, and I noticed that the map was partly drawn.

As shown below.

multimap.JPG

Still draggable, and if I go east and north from that point, absolutely fine. Go west from there (towards sunny north Wales and my patch) just pink gubbins. So its a problem with multimap.

We'll just have to wait this one out I think...

<Edit for terrubull spillung.>

Edited by scottpa100

What does Multimap have to do with it? The maps come from the OS.

My bad. I've never looked a the greasemonkey script to check the source and I've always assumed (incorrectly! :D ) that the maps were coming from Multimap with it being the 50,000 scale map. Now that I know its from the OS, why can't we have have the 25,000 scale maps?! :smile:

What does Multimap have to do with it? The maps come from the OS. This URL (from the same map...) says "Forbidden", wonder if they're checking the referer?

http://explore.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/OSMapA...&HEIGHT=200

<decloak>

Having pulled apart the underlying http requests, I can confirm that they are indeed checking the referers.

If anyone has access to a Squid server and is willing to get their hands dirty on their local network, I have some redirector code that will thwart those at the OS in their referer checking. Not an ideal solution but at least it makes the page still work! It also has caching built in (file, not geo) so future requests needn't be served by them for frequent pages.

YMMV

Dan(Da Druid)

</decloak>

There is a solution coming, I'm just a bit busy with other stuff at the moment.

DanDaDruid: yes, I know I could do that, but I don't really want to. My aim of the script is to have as few external dependancies as possible (I also don't have any good bandwidth)

Anyway, the OS now have an official API which I have draft code to use.

Reverting back to the old multimap tiles will be my last resort - their resolution isn't very good. The newer multimap tiles will also require more work.

But, I've made most progress with the official OS tiles so far, and will proceed to work on the code.

snip...

But, I've made most progress with the official OS tiles so far, and will proceed to work on the code.

I for one would like to publicly thank folk like Edgemaster for really working hard on behalf of users.

(Please) keep up the good work.

Second that!

Also would like to ask people to stop chasing him to get it done. It is after all a younger member of our community who gives his time up in between trying to get an education.

;)

yeah right!! I happen to know that edgy and his mate bluespecs were out caching recently when they had a free study period! ;)

Seriously though, i completely concur! Us old (and not so old) fogies may be able to forget about work in evenings and weekends, but edgy unfortunately can't! ;)

Many thanks from us for all the amazing script writing that folks do for us numpties! :ph34r:

snip...

I for one would like to publicly thank folk like Edgemaster for really working hard on behalf of users.

(Please) keep up the good work.

Yep another seconder. Love the scripts and I'm shocked :ph34r: when in work and look at geocaching.com and have to use the yahoo maps. ;) Really appreciate the work you guys have done and fully appreciate you've got other priorities.

I've just finished working on a fix to the pink custard errors, as it has been so aptly named by those in geochat!

As noted, I am now using the Official OrdnanceSurvey OpenSpace API Tiles (but using the plain OpenLayers interface, theirs is a bit clunky otherwise), there is a 30,000 daily tile view limit, just shout at me if you hit any problems, I can probably work around it.

Advantages of using the official api include a greater range of scales, the full-uk view is now working correctly, and there is also an extra zoomed version of the landranger 50k maps, and the rather oddly presented (imo) 10k scale mapping (which crazily doesn't show footpaths! :D ).

Anyway, install from here, and enjoy having your maps back!

gcos-10k.jpg

Reviewer edition not yet complete, could a reviewer send me a copy of the review webpage html, so I can make the necessary changes? Thanks

I've just finished working on a fix to the pink custard errors, as it has been so aptly named by those in geochat!

As noted, I am now using the Official OrdnanceSurvey OpenSpace API Tiles (but using the plain OpenLayers interface, theirs is a bit clunky otherwise), there is a 30,000 daily tile view limit, just shout at me if you hit any problems, I can probably work around it.

Advantages of using the official api include a greater range of scales, the full-uk view is now working correctly, and there is also an extra zoomed version of the landranger 50k maps, and the rather oddly presented (imo) 10k scale mapping (which crazily doesn't show footpaths! :D ).

Anyway, install from here, and enjoy having your maps back!

gcos-10k.jpg

Reviewer edition not yet complete, could a reviewer send me a copy of the review webpage html, so I can make the necessary changes? Thanks

Fandabby doze-ee! Works a treat. The 10k, doesn't have paths, but it is quite specific on sizes of houses etc. I've had a quick scoot round where I live and its got the shapes and dimensions of the houses! But its great to have to the 50k maps back and the "pink custard" has gone! :D

Cheers.

Yes FANTASTIC, very pleased to have the OS maps back.

Just one thing though on some pages GCXF07 for example when the map is increased in size it is actually reduced in width.

Just pointing that out not complaining.

Many Thanks for your work on the maps!

Regards

Bernard

Edited to say and this page GCTTG8, both pages have background images which seem to reduce the width of the text portion of the page. Possibly not leaving enough room for the increased map width.

Edited by bcnorwich
gazooks wrote:

Doesn't seem to be working for me....all I get is a white page with 'Sorry this map tile cannot be served at the moment.

Am I doing something wrong or is it them ?? - I'll try again later.

It's working for me.

Edited to add: For Devon, Wiltshire, n your home county of Cambridgeshire.

Edited by Bill D (wwh)