Upset about a complaint about my cache.

johnsquad

Hi,

I am not sure where I should be posting this, but I need some advice. I have a cache located near my home in a park and yesterday my dogs were going crazy barking at my neighbors house, but I couldn't see what they were barking at. Later there was a visit to my cache and then I received a call from my extremely upset neighbor.

These people that were trying to find my cache entered through the wrong direction and here is the story. They parked in my neighbors driveway, unlatched a chain that is marked "private, do not enter" walked over her wheelchair ramp, entered her backyard and then started to chop through a blackberry barrier that is a barrier between her backyard and the park. Mind you this is about a 30 foot distance that you would have to chop through dense blackberry bushes.

Now, not only was this a horribly scary incidence for her; to look out and have 3 guys standing in your backyard, but then I had to try to apologize up one side and down the other.

So, I have emailed that user. Mainly because when they marked my cache as found they stated what they had done and just said "whoops, oh well" This is not oops whatever. I am looking at having to disable my cache so that I can live in peace with my neighbor. I understand how she feels. But if this user would have read my cache hints, they would have known they were in the wrong place. I don't consider bushwacking 30 feet of blackberry bushes a 1/1 terrain. Also, to blatantly unhook a privacy chain....rrrrr

So what can I do? Can I report them....I can't even find where I can email geocaching to let them know what happened. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks, Johnsquad

Maybe take the info out of the hint and place it in the description. Make it clear they shouldn't enter your neighbor's property.

Give them additional waypoints and instructions on an alternative entry point to the cache location.

Put sign on the fence that reads "Geocachers need not enter here".

Personally I think their behavior was a bit irresponsible, but no matter how hard you try, you just can't fix stupid.

Unfortunately some cachers refuse to read what you write on the cache page because they want it to be "more challenging" .

Regardless of this though common sense tells us that if the hider did not have to hack through a briar thicket to place a cache then we won't have to do it to find the cache.

I recently went after a cache in a state park, after walking across an open field and coming within 100 feet of the cache I found myself at the rim of a steep hill with a path running through the woods at the bottom of the hill about that far away. Since the path was obviously the right way to reach the cache I returned to my truck and drove around to the correct parking area and followed the path to the cache, rather than bushwhacking (read sliding) down the hill to save a few steps.

Not much you can do to stop the ignorant, but hopefully they were the exception in your area, not the Norm.

What these finders did defies common sense. I'd check the cache description before opening gates and cutting through back yards. But not everyone exercises common sense, and that leads to problems like this one.

Looking at the aerial photos for this cache, I think the location is an invitation for a visit from the Stupid Squad. Before publishing a cache that's close to residences, I often leave the following note:

Hello, I'll be publishing your geocache submission shortly, but first I wanted to direct your attention to a section of the cache listing guidelines that was revised in February 2007. It can be found here: http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#guide The current guideline says the following:

"For all physical caches and waypoints, think carefully about how your container and the actions of geocachers will be perceived by the public. For example, a cache hidden in full view of office or apartment building windows exposes a geocacher to being seen by someone who may think the cache search looks suspicious. Your cache may be hidden on public property, but there may be concerned residents on the other side of that property line. And, while an ammo box or PVC pipe may be a great container if hidden deep in the woods, it may cause alarm if discovered in an urban setting. A clear plastic container or a microcache may be a better choice. In busy areas, avoid containers that look suspicious, including attachment materials like wires or tape. To reduce confusion and alarm when a cache is discovered accidentally, clearly label your container on the outside with appropriate information to say it is a geocache. Cover over any military markings with paint or a geocache sticker. Include an explanatory “stash note” inside your cache. Common sense in selecting hiding spots and containers can reduce the risk of your cache being perceived as a danger to those who are unaware of our sport."

Please be sure that your cache complies with this good advice. It may be on public property, technically, but always consider how cachers will be viewed by nearby residents.

Thank you,

Keystone

Geocaching.com Volunteer Cache Reviewer

As much as I would like to suggest to delete the find of the trespassing cachers, I think you shouldn't. If they weren't smart enough to find a legit entry point, who knows what stupid act they may do if you delete their find. I would just email letting them know they trespassed and upset your neighbor, and that you are disappointed in their approach. Your neighbor would have been in her legal right to call the PD.

To patch things up with your neighbor, I would ask her how best to proceed. Does she want the cache gone? Will she give you a second chance if you tell her what changes you have made, or will make?

Unless a parking area is obvious, it's always a good idea to post parking and/or trailhead coords to a cache. However, in this case, it may not have mattered.

Keystone, that's way too much writing. Keeping it down to a sentence or two increases the chances it will be read. I would have skipped reading all that.

Thanks, you have all been great. I did put in a pretty good description, but everyone sees things in different ways. I guess I just needed to hear someone else say they were off base with what they did. This is the first time this has happened with my cache. It was mainly a test cache, as it was our first, so I think it is ready to be moved along! I am not sure if I was right or not, but I did email the cachers... :P I thought they should know how I felt about the "whoops, oh well" comment. I also think I will leave it for others to see!!!

I have been caching for a couple of years now and this is my first time on the forums, this is awesome, so in a way something good came out of this.

When you place a cache you have to realize that there will be some Bozos who will just follow the arrow, private property and any other barrier be darned. You should always take that into consideration when hiding your caches.

They were obviously way out of line. Unfortunately if you leave the cache, there are no guarantees it won't happen again. Posting parking coordinates might help, but you can never make a cache idiot proof.

Considering the time you took to post here I suggest that you should update the cache page you are concerned about. I just took a look at it and you have not updated it yet.

You have to realize they did find your cache. Deleting the find may cause problems later.

I never have liked doing caches at or near peoples homes. I draws way to much unwanted attention to yourself.

From their log it looks like they DID go the wrong way, but I wonder if the neighbors version of events might be a little exagerated? I'm not dismissing her surprise or fear, but it seems highly unlikely that things were exactly as mentioned in the OP. That said, it would be far more important to keep a good relationship with the neighbor, even if you had to do away with the Cache to make her happy. I guess the way to proceed will depend on your relationship in the past, and how she feels about the Cache remaining. Best of luck. I certainly would start with a more detailed description on the Cache page. A line about not needing to cross private property would be a good place to start.

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT
This one should be easy to navigate and the terrain is very easy. Make sure you don't get poked. Bring your family and your pets. Public parking available.

When you have public parking available and the cache location (here a park) is surrounded by private properties, include the coordinates of the parking area. And note in the description that the cache should be sought from there. Often, the cache is hidden deep in the park and those following turn by turn to the cache coordinates will never encounter the public parking area.

It's happened to me several times. The turn by turn will take me into a development which from the street may be only 200 feet from the cache. The public parking may by 1,000 feet from the cache and the GPS turn by turn would never take you to it, but parking coordinates would.

Make sure you don't get poked.
seems an indication that thorn bushes might be expected.

Hi,

I am not sure where I should be posting this, but I need some advice. I have a cache located near my home in a park and yesterday my dogs were going crazy barking at my neighbors house, but I couldn't see what they were barking at. Later there was a visit to my cache and then I received a call from my extremely upset neighbor.

These people that were trying to find my cache entered through the wrong direction and here is the story. They parked in my neighbors driveway, unlatched a chain that is marked "private, do not enter" walked over her wheelchair ramp, entered her backyard and then started to chop through a blackberry barrier that is a barrier between her backyard and the park. Mind you this is about a 30 foot distance that you would have to chop through dense blackberry bushes.

Now, not only was this a horribly scary incidence for her; to look out and have 3 guys standing in your backyard, but then I had to try to apologize up one side and down the other.

So, I have emailed that user. Mainly because when they marked my cache as found they stated what they had done and just said "whoops, oh well" This is not oops whatever. I am looking at having to disable my cache so that I can live in peace with my neighbor. I understand how she feels. But if this user would have read my cache hints, they would have known they were in the wrong place. I don't consider bushwacking 30 feet of blackberry bushes a 1/1 terrain. Also, to blatantly unhook a privacy chain....rrrrr

So what can I do? Can I report them....I can't even find where I can email geocaching to let them know what happened. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks, Johnsquad

I would move the cache and, then delete the logs by the idiots and then I would tell the idiots no to bother finding anymore of my cache

I looked at the cache page and just from reading it I did not see anything that would have told me how to approach the cache. That said, I would never go through someone's yard to get to a cache unless that is exactly what the cache page said to do.

I would give parking coordinates as well as some instructions as to how to approach the cache AND specific instructions for how NOT to approach the cache.

If a search done the intended and properly explained way won't affect your neighbor I wouldn't archive it due to one inconsiderate cacher. If keeping the cache will be a source of friction between you and your neighbor I would archive it.

I don't see anything on the cache page that would indicate what the cachers did wasn't what they were supposed to do.

(common sense would indicate this, but counting on people to have common sense isn't a good idea)

You definitely should indicate as the very first thing on the cache description that private property should NOT be crossed to get to the cache.

It will likely still happen again at some point, so moving or disabling the cache may be a good idea to stay on good terms with the neighbor.

Keystone, that's way too much writing. Keeping it down to a sentence or two increases the chances it will be read. I would have skipped reading all that.

My note copies a paragraph from the listing guidelines, and adds a sentence or two before and after the quote.

Are you saying you haven't read the guidelines? :P There are quite a few more paragraphs in there. It makes for good reading before checking the acknowledgment on the "hide a cache" form.

...So what can I do? Can I report them....I can't even find where I can email geocaching to let them know what happened. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks, Johnsquad

You have to adapt to reality. There is a certain amount of error on a GPS. You can't change it. If it's enough to where someone trying to find your cache that's in your yard can end up in your neighbors yard and scare her half to death reality is you will deal with this problem again.

You either have to modify your cache so any moron can find it (flouresent colored in the middle of your lawn with a large sign saying "geocache is here") or archive it and let your neighbor know she should have no more problems.

You may think your cachers did wrong but YOU gave them permission to seek your cache. They made a mistake in handling it less than diplomatically, but again reality is they were seeking your cache with your permission using your coordinates.

There is nothing whatsoever you can do to guarantee that someone won't do something stupid to find a cache.

Since your neighbour now knows the cache is yours and therefore holds you responsible for the trespass and property damage, it is probably best that you remove the cache and make it right with the neighbour.

The only problem remaining is that anyone else can place a cache there and someone will again do something stupid to find the new cache. It might even be the same cacher going after FTF on it, after all they know how to get into the park even if it is closed now don't they?

Even if somebody else places a cache there, you are still in the same boat with your neighbour.

At best learn from this how it is not a good idea to place caches near your personal residence if you live in a populated area.

Edited by Confucius' Cat

Hi,

These people that were trying to find my cache entered through the wrong direction and here is the story. They parked in my neighbors driveway, unlatched a chain that is marked "private, do not enter" walked over her wheelchair ramp, entered her backyard and then started to chop through a blackberry barrier that is a barrier between her backyard and the park....

I missed the park the first time around and thought this cache was in your yard. Feel free to report these cachers to the police. You have a witness, you have their log as evidence. They may not get cited but a nice conversation with the police should help them learn the difference between a yard and a park.

You can't control all the dumbasses in the world but you can help give them incentive to drop the dumb part of being a dumbass.

Welcome back to geocaching Johnsquad. I am trying to defend anyone who does stupid thing. However, geocaching has changed.

fffcad2c-3ef6-47c8-9ed8-4e83cc20f9f0.jpg

I took at look at his profile and did some real quick math in my head. This geocacher averages 10 finds a week. This is pretty typical for geocacher now due to the larger number of cache available. Typically the caches are all done in one day of the week during a "cache run". This typically means loading that days caches in to the GPS and maybe scanning the cache page quickly. Rarely is time take to look at the cache page or maps because it is all about getting to the cache, signing the log, and heading off to the next cache. People rarely want to hang out near the cache site or enjoy the view on the way any more and based on most of the urban caches I've seen I don't blame them.

Another thing I've noticed is that your cache is very close to a highway. If you look at a map of nearby cache you will see other caches just off the same highway and if you zoom out far enough you will notice that they form a line or a trail. This makes your cache the target of power "trails" and cache machines. Be prepared. If you decide to keep that cache where it is it will get a lot more visitors like this one.

There are some simple things you can do if you want to reduce the chances of this happening again. All involve making you cache unattractive to the number hounds. This isn't full proof but it will reduce the number of people looking for a quick grab to increase their numbers. Number hounds sometimes make poor decisions. It is very tempting to cut thru private property to save 5 minutes. After all that 5 minutes could be the difference between finding all the caches you planned to find that day or missing a cache because the sun went down while you were looking for it. :)

Make the cache a puzzle cache. It doesn't have to a hard puzzle. This also has the added advantage that anyone wanting to find this cache will have to have read whatever you put on the cache page. Including instructions to stay out of peoples yards.

Make the cache a multi-cache. You don't have to have a lot of stages, two stages make a multi-cache, and you can even tell people on the cache page how many stages there are. Place the first stage in a location that when some approaches the final stage from the one before it they don't have the option of cutting thru someones private property.

Make the cache a letterbox hybrid. Believe it or not a lot people planning power routes overlook letterbox hybrids and I've heard that the letterboxing crowd respects private property. :) If you do go the letterbox hybrid route don't forget to include the stamp. Although this might create a new headache for you. Like geocachers trading for the stamp. :)

You may think your cachers did wrong but YOU gave them permission to seek your cache. They made a mistake in handling it less than diplomatically, but again reality is they were seeking your cache with your permission using your coordinates.

Nowhere on the cache listing does he give permission to enter private property though. And without something explicitly saying you can enter a gate marked private, common sense says you just don't do something like that.

Nowhere on the cache listing does he give permission to enter private property though. And without something explicitly saying you can enter a gate marked private, common sense says you just don't do something like that.

Common sense does not apply to geocaching. I thought that was "common knowledge." :)

Really, I thought we all agreed "NO TRESPASSING" means "Place cache here." :)

Take a moment to consider the ramifications of Rambler's Litany: The best thing about geocaching is that it is open to everyone. The worst thing about geocaching is... that it is open to everyone!

When you consider 'open to everyone' you must include the bright and well-intended as well as the dimwitted and uncaring.

It's a tough call, but I think I will come down on the side of archiving this one.

When considering a location ask yourself "what kind of numbnuts stunt that would cause trouble might someone pull when hunting this cache?". If you can think of one, somebody is going to do it!

Even if you can't think of one, some folks will surprise you with a new way to screw it up.

You can't eliminate all risk, but in a case like this where an unrecognized risk has already been identified you can elevate 'risk' to 'certainty' that someone else will do the same!

Edit to add, from Wikipedia:

The concept of common sense is a long-standing term, based on human experience and people's individual perceptions. Thus, common sense is different from person to person - common sense is not common.

... By assuming your position is "common sense" and acting upon it, all you're doing is insulting the people who disagree with you.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Personally I would pull the cache. If your neighbor sees cachers just walking by in an attempt to look for your cache then she will always live in fear of someone coming into her yard again. I have a cache at a house location and one of the people did end up finding angry neighbors over it. The next house is 100 feet from the cache. All it takes is a cloudy day and a GPS will take some people to your cache in a roundabout way. My cache is still active but 2 things changed. The neighbor and my description that its "THE BIG RED HOUSE". Since then I haven't had any confusion, yet. If another cacher does go to the neighbors again then I will indeed archive it. It is indeed a different situation and nothing was damaged and no one is living in fear with my cache or else it would have been archived the first time. I hope this helps. Swizzle

If your neighbor sees cachers just walking by in an attempt to look for your cache then she will always live in fear of someone coming into her yard again.

especially big MP dude. He might have scared me too, especially if he were in that uniform. He fills it out a bit more than I ever could.

I have a cache at a house location and one of the people did end up finding angry neighbors over it. The next house is 100 feet from the cache. All it takes is a cloudy day and a GPS will take some people to your cache in a roundabout way. My cache is still active but 2 things changed. The neighbor and my description that its "THE BIG RED HOUSE". Since then I haven't had any confusion, yet. If another cacher does go to the neighbors again then I will indeed archive it. It is indeed a different situation and nothing was damaged and no one is living in fear with my cache or else it would have been archived the first time.

now, from day one of my caching fun, I knew that private property should be avoided, especially a residence. If, however, for whatever inexcusable reason, I wandered onto private property and someone complained to me, I would apologize and leave, and most likely leave the area and forget about the cache as well. I would most certainly NOT tell the person that I was geocaching. If pressed, I might just say I was hiking and took a wrong turn. Telling them that I am geocaching is probably not good for this community. I reiterate that these cachers were wrong by going onto private property in the first place.

When considering a location ask yourself "what kind of numbnuts stunt that would cause trouble might someone pull when hunting this cache?". If you can think of one, somebody is going to do it!

Even if you can't think of one, some folks will surprise you....

This happened on one of my caches to a friend of mine who is not a numbnuts. It never crossed my mind that someone would use an A-frame ladder alone on a smooth 45 degree slope to try to make the grab. The ladder kicked away from him but luckily he wasn't hurt badly. Upon hearing of this I felt terrible and updated the cache page immediately. Again, this cacher is not a numbnuts and has about 2000 finds. My point is that as a cache hider it's difficult to foresee all possible actions that someone might take while hunting your cache.

Hi,

Thanks, Johnsquad

Report them? I don't know where you live but around here, what they did is called 'Breaking and Entering' or at least criminal tresspass.

Had the property owner mistaken a GPS or other tool for a weapon, someone would be seriously injured if not dead.

This is one reason why I avoid caches placed on private property that cannot be reached from the sidewalk or roadway.

Not seeing your cache page, I cannot comment on your description or hint but If it were me, I would give explicit instructions in bright bold lettering.

If you bring people into a completely unfamiliar situation, in a foreign environment you have a responsibility for guidance. If there are issues to be aware of, there are 2 outcomes. You prepare the people in advance, or you expect them to figure it out on their own at the time.

When you force people to figure things out on their own with no guidance instead of simply telling them in advance, you are going to get more people who end up learning by running into someone.

If someone drives to within a few feet of a cache, but the "real" route is a park entrance 2 miles away, then a 2 mile hike, if you are sitting there with a basic GPS that tells you nothing other than the cache is right there, what are your realistic options?

go home, or walk towards the cache.

you aren't going to be able to figure out the "real" route on site unless it says so somewhere in the description unless you have google maps and a satellite image handy.

I wouldn't do this, (since I try my best to avoid urban caches altogether), but every cacher is going to take what they think is the best route to the cache. If you don't let them know how to get there, you can't be too shocked when some of them don't find the path you wanted them to take but didn't tell them.

Fortunately for all of us in this thread, we are perfect. :smile:

About 1/4 of the logs showed concern about the area. Found these interesting comments in the 51 logs:

I tried to make this quick because the dogs next door were barking

Didn't realize this was public property

We weren't quite sure if where we parked was public or not

not sure we were to be wandering around here but it was a quick find. Great cache and dash, even with some little boy watching us the whole time

Hope the neighbors are privy to the cache being here.They were sure watching me "walk the dog"

Wasn't sure we were on the right path. It looked like private property at first.

Got all the dogs barking

The neighbors from next door came out right as we arrived, but they soon left

Very close to a house but we made a fast find & getaway, so hopefully we weren't noticed

I am pretty sure someone was watching me that had two legs and not four

Yes, we set the dogs to barking also

Kinda wondered what the neighbors would think about me poking around, but no one challenged me

Edited by michigansnorkeler

Okay, so there are two houses in the area, one is mine one is my neighbor...

This cache is located in a park, well 1/3 lake, 1/3 park and 1/3 community garden. But the city claims it to all be park :smile:

I mean I don't want to give it all away in my page, come on, it is already an easy cache.

These guys were idiots to go the way they did. I am saying....into a driveway (small) through a little walkway with a chain across it...between 2 small cottages...over the wheelchair ramp and then into a backyard....that has no outlet unless you plan on swimming or doing some extreme bushwhacking and then most likely on to the hospital to be treated for all the gashes in your body!!!!!

Now my cache location: There is a picnic table...rope swings...ample parking....signs marking all the plants...signs talking about the garden.....I don't know, I can't understand why there has ever been a question about it, but then I live here so I know it is a park.

I agree with most of you that nothing is idiot proof.

As for my cache....I am not sure what to do. I like it where it is....my neighbor calmed down....I of course would never call the cops....but I did go a grab the coin....hehehee

Thanks for all the comments...well most of them!!!!

Fortunately for all of us in this thread, we are perfect. :smile:

Not perfect, but I have enough sense not to physically undo a Private, Do Not Enter chain to enter property when the listing says the cache is in a park.

The topic of posted signs has been covered ad nauseum, but if I showed up and the only access I found required me to cross a Private, Do Not Enter barrier, I would (and have) chosen not to do that cache and post a note to that effect on the cache page.

There is simply no excuse for this behavior. Even if the hider listed nothing other than the coordinates, it is still highly irresponsible cross a Private, Do Not Enter barrier and hack up someone's vegetation to find a cache.

The thread title indicates that you are upset about this incident, yet throughout this thread you have resisted any suggestion that you change it, instead using the thread to call the offender an idiot and refusing to look at it from any viewpoint but your own.

12 of the 51 previous logs express some level of concern, to which you respond

As for my cache....I am not sure what to do. I like it where it is....my neighbor calmed down....I of course would never call the cops....but I did go a grab the coin....hehehee

Pot, meet Kettle?

Even if the hider listed nothing other than the coordinates, it is still highly irresponsible cross a Private, Do Not Enter barrier and hack up someone's vegetation to find a cache.

Agreed.

And yet it still happened.

And I'd bet if she doesn't change the page it's going to happen again for the reasons listed earlier.

The options are to either complain about the cachers that go an incorrect route, or change the cache page to include safe directions to the cache to help avoid the situation altogether.

wow I'm amazed that people would do something like that!

It's not only criminal but I know more than one person who owns a shotgun and who would've shot first and asked questions later! There's nothing like a news story about 3 dead trespassing Geocachers to give the hobby (please don't call it a sport) some unneeded bad press!

The thread title indicates that you are upset about this incident, yet throughout this thread you have resisted any suggestion that you change it, instead using the thread to call the offender an idiot and refusing to look at it from any viewpoint but your own.

Pot, meet Kettle?

Hey, I was just wanting to vent and get some ideas on what I should do. Come on...pot, meet Kettle??? I am not the one that did anything here. And who says I am not going to do anything about it?? I don't jump and do stuff...I talk about it and think it through. All I ever wanted here was to know whether or not I had a right to be upset with these guys. Okay?? I don't appreciate your pointing any fingers at me!!!

12 of the 51 previous logs express some level of concern...

I looked at the cache page, read the thread, and the logs and this stat along would have made me change the cache or at least the page a long time ago.

When almost 25% of logs mention things like that, it's time to do something. Mind you, this isn't meant to be a lecture - jsut feedback.

From what I can see, the cache page has already been changed because I see the words "YOU CAN TRAVEL ROADS TO GET TO THIS PARK AND IT REQUIRES NOT ONE IOTA OF BUSHWHACKING OR WALKING ON ANY PRIVATE PROPERTY."

I would still add either parking coords or explicit directions to the park. If the goal is to bring them to the park, not make them figure out how to get there, then make it easy for them.

Good luck with the situation.

Regardless of cache page instructions, these guys were stupid. Remove their membership!

or am I just in a bad mood?

I don't think anybody would disagree that what the finders did was absolutely wrong. I think the OP is now trying to figure out what to do since he/she has had the chance to vent and now sees that he/she is not alone in thier thinking.

I remember this cache from when we were in Oregon last summer. I'll relate my experience:

We pulled up in front of a couple of houses, using AutoRouting to get as close as possible to the park. We saw where the arrow pointed which seemed to be leading us between two houses. There were people in the front yard of one of the houses and it appeared we needed to walk through/beside one of the yards to get to ground zero.

We pulled away and checked the PDA and the previous logs. I saw the log where a cacher commented "I didn't know this was public property." At that point we decided to move on to the next one rather than risk an encounter with the property owner(s).

There is no excuse for opening gates marked Private and what-not, but I will admit I have unknowingly crossed from public property onto private property and met with a "less than impressed" land owner and it makes me more likely to pull the plug on a search in areas like this.

Pot, meet Kettle?

Hey, I was just wanting to vent and get some ideas on what I should do. Come on...pot, meet Kettle??? I am not the one that did anything here. And who says I am not going to do anything about it?? I don't jump and do stuff...I talk about it and think it through. All I ever wanted here was to know whether or not I had a right to be upset with these guys. Okay?? I don't appreciate your pointing any fingers at me!!!

But you ARE the one that hasn't done anything to prevent it from happening again...like changing the cache page to point to parking or giving better instructions...which would take all of 90 seconds and would have been the first thing I did instead of running to the forums to try to get validation that I had the right to be mad at someone else... :laughing: