Colorado's Map Zoom Scale

Didjerrydo

Does anybody have an answer as to why Garmin chose to limit its map zoom-in scale to 80 feet? That seems kinda' dumb with a high resolution display such a the Colorado has. It's always been all the way into 20 feet with previous units. This is really agravating when you're trying to find an exact point. Is there some way that I haven't discovered to override this and get in closer?

Does anybody have an answer as to why Garmin chose to limit its map zoom-in scale to 80 feet? That seems kinda' dumb with a high resolution display such a the Colorado has. It's always been all the way into 20 feet with previous units. This is really agravating when you're trying to find an exact point. Is there some way that I haven't discovered to override this and get in closer?

Nope, I listed as an issue on the list but I haven't raised with Garmin. Probably worth a call because I miss it as well when finding caches.

GO$Rs

Nope, I listed as an issue on the list but I haven't raised with Garmin. Probably worth a call because I miss it as well when finding caches.

GO$Rs

Funny thing. I noticed today that the Zoom Level settings for the map configuration DO go down to 20'. I wonder if the max zoom level is map specific? Can anyone with city nav or something other than the default map set on the 400t comment if you can zoom in further than 80' with that map set selected?

GO$Rs

GO$Rs

Funny thing. I noticed today that the Zoom Level settings for the map configuration DO go down to 20'. I wonder if the max zoom level is map specific? Can anyone with city nav or something other than the default map set on the 400t comment if you can zoom in further than 80' with that map set selected?

GO$Rs

I do not think zoom level is map specific. I have the 400t with city nav and you still can not zoom down to 20' regardless what map you have selected.

GO$Rs

GO$Rs

I have both City Nav NT & Topo 2008 in my Colorado 300, and no matter which maps are "switched" on or off, the best I can zoom in is 80'. How did you get it in to 20'?

GO$Rs

GO$Rs

I have both City Nav NT & Topo 2008 in my Colorado 300, and no matter which maps are "switched" on or off, the best I can zoom in is 80'. How did you get it in to 20'?

You can't, I was just looking at the Advanced Mapping menu and under Zoom Levels. For various features you can change the Zoom Level settings below 80' (down to 20') which to me would only make sense if you could zoom to that level or Garmin is planning to support it in a future release.

GO$Rs

Or if they took that list from another model, without thinking about that they've limited the zooming on the Colorado.

I don't know, but I can guess that they've opted for this, to avoid displaying the map at a resolution that does not at all reflect the accuracy of the map.

I understand the accuracy issue but many geocachers use the map page (instead of the compass page) to walk to the cache. They overzoom to do this when they get close. The 80' max zoom level makes it impossible because you can't distinguish your position from the waypoints.

GO$Rs