Colorado 400t Question

dentalrep

Is there a limit on how many map units you can put on a memory stick?

I am new to handheld GPS's but the Vista has a limit on how many maps you can load. Does the Colorado have a limit and if so how many units can I load. I would love to have a GPS unit with national parks and maybe even bluechart loaded on the unit. I don't want to swap memory sticks.

Is there a limit on how many map units you can put on a memory stick?

I am new to handheld GPS's but the Vista has a limit on how many maps you can load. Does the Colorado have a limit and if so how many units can I load. I would love to have a GPS unit with national parks and maybe even bluechart loaded on the unit. I don't want to swap memory sticks.

bump

There's probably still some map segment limit, but I don't have any very large card to test with, so I haven't been able to push it to the limit.

My larger cards are for my cameras, but they don't use SD.

I'm not sure, but I don't think the OP was asking how big one map could be, I think they were interested in if there was a limit to the number of map files that could be put on the card. I heard somewhere that to get the Topo US 2008 unto the 400t as one map file, they had to change the segments some (maybe to get it under the max segment limit?). I have no idea about that. As far as the number of maps, I don't think there is any limit, but I'm not going to try and prove that.

--Marky

All Garmin units to date have had a limit to the number of map segments the unit can handle. The limit is probably due to some type of index that is held in internal memory so the limit would be imposed by the amount of internal memory they have set aside for that purpose.

You might think the limit for the Colorado is much higher than previous units since the 400t comes with US Topo 2008 loaded and that map has 6633 segments, however the version of US Topo 2008 that comes preloaded on the 400t is US Topo 2008 v2 and has been restructured, that version has 429 segments.

As to what the units limit is, I don't have a unit to test so I can't say.

Am I missing something?

Why would anyone want to put Topo2008 on a 400t???? Wouldn't that be two sets of the same identical maps?

.... about every other mapping product (CN etc, )has larger segment size.

I never said to do that. The question was if there was a limit to the number of map segments you can load on the Colorado. Some would assume that since:

US Topo 2008 from the DVD has 6633 segments

and the 400t has US Topo 2008 preloaded

that the Colorado can handle at least 6633 segments.

My point was that the preloaded version of US Topo 2008 on the 400t is structered differently than the DVD version and it only has 429 segments. So you can only assume that it can handle at least 429.