Talk me out of returning my Colorado and getting a 60 CSx

BiT

The 60 CSx is a solid unit, it's hard to argue against it. However, it doesn't run Wherigo cartridges, and doesn't display the cache page and logs, it doesn't display a 3D view of the terrain. I'm going to make the assumption that all of the geocaching features will eventually be addressed, so unless you are in a hurry for a specific feature that is missing on the Colorado, I personally would wait it out. Garmin has a good record of addressing specific concerns with free firmware updates.

--Marky

Hi everyone...First post. I've cancelled my Colorado 400t order & am also considering the 60CSX. I'm not sure why I ordered the 400t anyways...maybe impulse or perhaps just wanting the latest "must have" gadget!

We have over 480 cache finds in the 6 months since we've owned a Legend CX & it has navigated us, unerringly to anyplace we've wanted to go by sea kayak, hiking or by vehicle. We do paperless caching with a Palm Tungsten E2 (GSAK, Cachemate) which works great because my better half does the recording while I handle the GPSr. With the Colorado we wouldn't be able to share the duties so to speak.

The only reason I want to upgrade is that the "rubber band" around the legend is almost completely off & inhibits the use of the buttons. We kayak with it tied off to our deck bag & I think the heat of the sun & perhaps some sunscreen in the adhesive has stopped it from sticking when it cools down. I'd also like a unit with a little bit more sensitivity, faster satellite grabs & perhaps a few more features. Have to check out the Vista HCX but I think it still has the "rubber band" to contend with.

It's the 60CSX for us & perhaps the Nuvi 260 for the car.

I would have bought a 60 a couple of years ago except with the buttons on the bottom you can't use it one-handed without the risk of dropping it. The 76 is far better because the buttons are at the top. The Colorado also has the buttons at the top and is easier to operate than the 76. Once the firmware is adjusted to make the unit work as designed/advertised, it will be even better.

I have to agree with Nicolo, although I would not say it so pointedly :D As others have said, this needs to be something you are willing to work through understanding this is the first run at the product. If you bought the first new model year of a car's redesign, would you return it? Probably not, right? You would have the dealer fix the issues. That's what Garmin is going to do.

It sounds to me if your posed the question, your mind may already be made up.

Steve

Hi everyone...First post. I've cancelled my Colorado 400t order & am also considering the 60CSX. I'm not sure why I ordered the 400t anyways...maybe impulse or perhaps just wanting the latest "must have" gadget!

We have over 480 cache finds in the 6 months since we've owned a Legend CX & it has navigated us, unerringly to anyplace we've wanted to go by sea kayak, hiking or by vehicle. We do paperless caching with a Palm Tungsten E2 (GSAK, Cachemate) which works great because my better half does the recording while I handle the GPSr. With the Colorado we wouldn't be able to share the duties so to speak.

The only reason I want to upgrade is that the "rubber band" around the legend is almost completely off & inhibits the use of the buttons. We kayak with it tied off to our deck bag & I think the heat of the sun & perhaps some sunscreen in the adhesive has stopped it from sticking when it cools down. I'd also like a unit with a little bit more sensitivity, faster satellite grabs & perhaps a few more features. Have to check out the Vista HCX but I think it still has the "rubber band" to contend with.

It's the 60CSX for us & perhaps the Nuvi 260 for the car.

You might want to think about a 76Csx. It does everything the 60 does and when you drop it overboard from the kayak, it floats. You can also get a mount for it and mount it on the deck of the kayak.

Edited by jangor

The geocaching features even as they are are better than any handheld GPS on the market.

Please explain:

The geocaches don't show on the maps.

There is no Found button that logs into a calander.

Road name do not show.

No waypoint averaging when marking a new waypoint for hides.

Waypoint symbols aren’t visible in list views

Geocaches don't show up in "Recent Finds" list.

80' is the smallest scale viewable.

The geocaching features even as they are are better than any handheld GPS on the market.

Please explain:

Road name do not show.

I think people are probably talking about the ability to read the cache data from a gpx file directly on the Colorado. That is a big stop forward especially if you think the issues above are going to be resolved by some firmware updates over the next several months.

GO$Rs

That is a big stop forward especially if you think the issues above are going to be resolved by some firmware updates over the next several months.

GO$Rs

I agree cache data is great, but it is also a step back to get that step forward. Especially a $599.99 step. Also do we know for sure that Garmin is going to resolve these issues? Maybe there is a lot more hikers/trail runners out there that the heart rate monitor issues may need to be resolved than there are geocacher? Would be nice to see them chiming in!

I think people are probably talking about the ability to read the cache data from a gpx file directly on the Colorado. That is a big stop forward especially if you think the issues above are going to be resolved by some firmware updates over the next several months.

That's certainly the hope - it's why I bought my 400t. But right now, that feature is more infuriating than useful. Yes, you can get almost-reasonable performance if you load, say 12 caches. Try a GPX file with 4000 caches. It takes the unit several minutes to start up, about a minute to show the first page of the description, another minute to show the full description, and another minute to show the hint. If they fix this, it will be fantastic. But between that; the fact that you can't see caches on the screen; the fact that you can't pan around on the map and then find caches close to that location; and the fact that you can't average waypoints makes the Colorado, right now, far inferior to a 60CSx for geocaching.

i own the garmin map60 and 60c. they are both very fine units!!!

i will wait till garmin works the bugs out of the colorado, and then buy the 3rd or 4th gens.

just my 2 cents.

Peace,

Joboo

IF you do decide to take it back, get a 60Cx and a regular compass. Or a 76Cx and a compass, if you like the buttons at the top.

What? Asking me to convince you of something is sort of like asking my opinion. And it's just my opinion. Subject to change without notice. Have fun caching!

That's certainly the hope - it's why I bought my 400t. But right now, that feature is more infuriating than useful. Yes, you can get almost-reasonable performance if you load, say 12 caches. Try a GPX file with 4000 caches. It takes the unit several minutes to start up, about a minute to show the first page of the description, another minute to show the full description, and another minute to show the hint. If they fix this, it will be fantastic. But between that; the fact that you can't see caches on the screen; the fact that you can't pan around on the map and then find caches close to that location; and the fact that you can't average waypoints makes the Colorado, right now, far inferior to a 60CSx for geocaching.

Looks like Garmin has missed my 10,000 waypoint suggestion. If they actually had a clue that you need that many waypoints, then they may understand that it meanst he GPS needs to be able to process that many waypoints. Firmware can't speed up a slow processor. The best you get is more efficient processing in the firmware.

Please dont anyone take it the wrong way ,but I would never buy a new model GPS unit from anyone.Garmin units are just full of bugs every single time they release a unit,which I personaly think stinks! These units are not ready for release,they are basically using us to Beta test their products while trying to recoup some of the engineering and production costs.Their mannuals are also very poor in some areas of the unit operation and when you call tech. support they act as if their are no problems and try to blame it on anything but the unit ,somtimes they cant even explain the proper operation of the unit.These problems are only going to get worse as they continue to try to create more gaget features.I am not saying another brand is better ,just saying Garmin needs to smarten up.I have a Garmin 12 and 76csx but I wont be lining up any time soon for anything new from Garmin,till I can count on it performing as advertised out of the box!

Please explain:

Road name do not show.

GO$Rs

If you don't mind standing around for 5 minutes while the thing loads up the cache data. Now if you only load a single cache GPX file, then maybe the Colorado will be your cup of tea. The larger the GPX file, the slower the performance. Why?? Someone posted a theory in another thread that the Colorado does not simply read only the information for a selected cache; it reads the whole darn GPX file since it is loaded and stored as a single file. Say your GPX file is 2500 caches with descriptions, hints, and logs. That is a lot of pages. When you try to pull up the description for a specific cache, it opens up the whole darn 15,000 page file and then has to locate the specific page you are requesting. Now you want to view page two of the cache description. Just because you were able to pull up the first page, that doesn't mean the second page is the next page in this massive data base. The unit then has to shuffle through the pages until it finds page two.

I wonder if CN NT is working the same way on the Colorado in that everytime it redraws a map it redraws the whole map.

This is only a theory posted in these threads, but it might explain the lethargic performance and maybe even some of the power drain issues. This might also explain why the cache icons are not displaying since the unit only sees a massive GPX file and not individual geocaches.

I hope they can fix this....

When I first heard they were using GPX files directly, I was concerned a few weeks ago. A GPX file is just a big text file with no indexing. They have no choice but to scan the whole file.

With other applications that do this (like Cachemate), you setup a database structure for efficient access to the data.