Detrimental behavior that affects geocaching as a whole

Kit Fox

The point of this thread is bring up a topic that I feel strongly about.

The cancerous spread of selfishness, and the complete disregard for the rule of law (while geocaching) is negatively affecting geocaching whether we like it or not.

Examples

1. Cachers who knowingly ignore posted rules to find caches in closed parks, so they can be FTF!
  2. Cachers who knowlingly place caches on public utilities without permission.
  3. Cachers who boast about their illegal activity in their web logs!
  4. Cachers who see landscaping and the natural environment as an impediment to finding the cache.

Please feel free to add to the "ever growing list." This topic is not intended for micro bashing, just to highlight trends that you feel are detrimental to our sport.

The cancerous spread of selfishness, and the complete disregard for the rule of law (while geocaching) is negatively affecting geocaching whether we like it or not.

Examples

1. Cachers who knowingly ignore posted rules to find caches in closed parks, so they can be FTF!
  4. Cachers who see landscaping and the natural environment as an impediment to finding the cache.

Please feel free to add to the "ever growing list." This topic is not intended for micro bashing, just to highlight trends that you feel are detrimental to our sport.

Wouldn't #4 kinda be a good thing? :D

Wouldn't #4 kinda be a good thing? :D

I'll clarify better, I was referring to cachers who destroy flower beds in parks, and those that kick, and rip out all the bushes near ground zero, in pursuit of a geocache. Broken sprinklers are becoming more common because cachers assumes that the cache "must be a sprinkler head."

Edited by Kit Fox

[*]Cachers who knowingly ignore posted rules to find caches in closed parks, so they can be FTF!

[*]Cachers who knowlingly place caches on public utilities without permission.

[*]Cachers who boast about their illegal activity in their web logs!

[*]Cachers who see landscaping and the natural environment as an impediment to finding the cache.

My bad I already broke rule #1 and rule #3. Hopefully the owner sees my log and removes the 24/7 attribute from the description. It wasn't so much a boast as it was a note for others to see so they can choose to avoid it at certain hours. It was a wonderful time to enjoy the park however.

I guess a problem I have noticed is placing caches in parks that are actually for residents only. The one or two times I have come across this, it was not mentioned in the cache description either. I did however, take my chances with the long arm of the law and found the cache. I couldn't tell you if the cache owner got permission for placing the cache by the local authorities. That would be a conundrum - to have the permission to place the cache but for it to be against the law for most cachers to find it.

[*]Cachers who knowingly ignore posted rules to find caches in closed parks, so they can be FTF!

[*]Cachers who knowlingly place caches on public utilities without permission.

[*]Cachers who boast about their illegal activity in their web logs!

[*]Cachers who see landscaping and the natural environment as an impediment to finding the cache.

My bad I already broke rule #1 and rule #3. Hopefully the owner sees my log and removes the 24/7 attribute from the description. It wasn't so much a boast as it was a note for others to see so they can choose to avoid it at certain hours. It was a wonderful time to enjoy the park however.

I guess a problem I have noticed is placing caches in parks that are actually for residents only. The one or two times I have come across this, it was not mentioned in the cache description either. I did however, take my chances with the long arm of the law and found the cache. I couldn't tell you if the cache owner got permission for placing the cache by the local authorities. That would be a conundrum - to have the permission to place the cache but for it to be against the law for most cachers to find it.

The hider may have actually obtained permission for non-residents to find it.

Much ado about nothing.

Look at the big picture.

A few gay priests didn't bring down the churches

A few rogue truck drivers didn't kill the Teamsters

A few crooked lawyers didn't... well, they probably did

A few bad geocachers won't kill our game.

All we can do is take responsibility for ourselves and leave what we touch in life better than we found it and we won't have to worry about our image.

I agree that this kind of stuff is something we should be concerned about, but thankfully I haven't seen a lot of Maybe #1, but there are only a handful of people I know who do that.

What people need to realize is that no matter how rare the behavior might be, it only takes one to cause us problems if it comes to the attention of the wrong people.

Much ado about nothing.

Look at the big picture.

All we can do is take responsibility for ourselves and leave what we touch in life better than we found it and we won't have to worry about our image.

I agree...but we can also complain about it in hopes that SOME of the offenders will realize their errors!!

And YES, Briansnat has it hit right on.

Well, if he did then we're toast!

Rambler's Litany: The best thing about geocaching is that it is open to anyone. The worst thing about geocaching is... that it is open to anyone!

We have zero control over who plays this game or how they play it, so if a few bad actors can hurt us then it is inevitable that we'll get hurt!

I HAVE seen a lot of this type stuff and I continue to see it. All over the areas and states where I have cached.

It is relatively wide spread and certainly growing. Some choose to ignore it or become wilfully ignorant of its existance and growing negative reflection on the game.

Unfortunately if the trend continues, trouble will follow. Also unfortunately there is no indication that anything is going to change prior to that happening. Sad, that.

With the exponential growth that this game continues to 'enjoy', the tired and lamentable "If you don't like them, don't hunt them" is a certain formula for failure.

Those who continue to ignore the reality of the situation seem to me to be led by those who carry-on as if nothing has changed in the past 5 years and as if the continuing addition of large numbers of new participants has not and will not impact the game.

Dream on. :D

Edited by Team Cotati

Rambler's Litany: The best thing about geocaching is that it is open to anyone. The worst thing about geocaching is... that it is open to anyone!

We have zero control over who plays this game or how they play it, so if a few bad actors can hurt us then it is inevitable that we'll get hurt!

"Well, if he did then we're toast!", no doubt.

"We" don't that's for sure. However 'someone' can and should.

But there is one thing that we can do and that is to not pretend that there is no issue and thereby give tacit endorsement to it if not outright support as I see all too often.

Just like that Anza-Borrego thing going on over there. Someone posts a photo of a bunch of rusty old cans and all of a sudden that becomes the cause celeb and the focus of embarrassing and mind numbing jabbering. Making geocachers look the fool.

Edited by Team Cotati

Much ado about nothing.

Look at the big picture.

With this line of thinking, it appears that you could care less? I'm assuming that caches you prefer are usually urban in nature, and park and grabs. If most parks, forests, and nature areas banned caching, you wouldn't care, because it wouldn't affect "your kind of cache."

"Well, if he did then we're toast!", no doubt.

"We" don't that's for sure. However 'someone' can and should.

But there is one thing that we can do and that is to not pretend that there is no issue and thereby give tacit endorsement to it if not outright support as I see all too often.

Just like that Anza-Borrego thing going on over there. Someone posts a photo of a bunch of rusty old cans and all of a sudden that becomes the cause celeb and the focus of embarrassing and mind numbing jabbering. Making geocachers look the fool.

MAN TC...you've started making good sense lately...WAY TO GO!!

TAR, you have it right. The problem is ANYONE can cache, and some are downright ruining the sport! I've watched (not literally) as some will drill holes in public property and then hear others say "it's only a piling" (sure, until it's YOUR piling). I've seen people drill into trees, drive nails and worse into trees and other private property, I've watched as people use electric boxes...only to have others condemn me for speaking out against it. Some want to use mailboxes, some want to hide them in and around fragile areas....bad bad bad!

Having to "worry about our image." and actually 'Caring' about the image of the game and its participants are two vastly different things.

The notion that each geocacher, among the what, 100's of thousands?, I don't really know the number, are each individually going to exhibit your particular definition of desirable behavior is just plain silly. And the fact of it is just the opposite.

Edited by Team Cotati

Much ado about nothing.

Look at the big picture.

The people you need to refer to are called "pedophiles". Gay does not equal pedophile. Pedophiles are not exclusive to any one orientation. :D

Back to the original topic...

I believe Kit Fox has valid concerns. If we can't regulate ourselves, then authorities and land owners will step in and pass sweeping regulations detrimental to caching.

In Maine, we formed the Maine Geocaching Association , largely in an effort to help maintain the quality of geocaching. All cache hunts that have the MGA logo on them meet MGA standards for cache hunts. Here is a cut and paste of MGA cache placement recommendations. Note- MGA members may hide any type of cache they wish, but if they want to include the MGA logo on the cache page, it needs to meet the following.

A) I WILL NOT ENDANGER OTHERS. When I create a cache my first concern will be to make it a safe hunt for all. There are lot of geocachers that bring young children with them; if I know my cache hunt could endanger these children, I will inform them of this quite clearly on the top of the cache page in the ‘short’ description of the cache before any more information is provided in the rest of the listing. If I am planning an “extreme hunt” I will describe any potential dangers and mark the terrain level ratings appropriately.

B ) IF THE TOTAL ROUND TRIP WALKING DISTANCE TO THE CACHE AND BACK IS MORE THAN ONE MILE I WILL INFORM PEOPLE OF THE ROUND TRIP DISTANCE ON THE CACHE PAGE AND ROUGHLY HOW LONG IT WILL TAKE. First and foremost, this allows the geocacher to come better prepared: Extra water and bug spray in the summer months, better protection from the cold in the winter months.

C) IF PUPLIC PARKING IS NOT OBVIOUS, I WILL INCLUDE CO-ORDS FOR PARKING. I will not place a cache if there is not nearby public parking.

D) I WILL USE QUALITY CONTAINERS.) I will use ammo boxes, Loc&Lock or Snap&lock brand containers, or containers that are leak tight, and that will stand up to the long New England winters.

E) I WILL MAINTAIN MY CACHES IF A PROBLEM ARISES.

F) I WILL NOT PLACE CACHES IN OR CLOSE TO ROCK WALLS. Unfortunately uncaring geocachers can ruin a rock wall in a very short time. With so many other places in the woods to hide a cache, MGA feels that rock walls should be “off limits”. This goes back to Guideline A “leave no trace”. If I place a cache near a rock wall Iwill put a statement on the cache page that states that the cache is not in the wall. Outside of a fifty foot radius from any rock wall would be considered ideal.

G) I WILL NOT PLACE CACHES IN CEMETERIES. Cemeteries are a place of rest and respect. MGA feels that they should be off limits to cache hunts.

H) WHEN I PLACE A CACHE, I will try to be mindful of what future cache hunters may be doing to find it. I will not place a cache within 500’ (.1 mile) of a school or near areas such as public or private playgrounds. I will never place a cache near any critical infrastructure (Examples include large bridges, government buildings and so on) that could be considered a terrorist’s target, or create a cache that could be mistaken for a terrorist’s weapon.

Ultimately, it's up to cachers to decide the direction they want the game to lead.

Good luck in your quest, I agree with you completly.

Completely. :D :D :D

People need to be responsible. Obey park hours (even if the cache has 24/7 attribute), don't trample the flowers, etc.

True Story: Geocaching has nearly been banned in areas because of selfish cachers not following the rules or doing what they want rather than what they should be doing. In that situation, it would have taken less time for the gurk(s) to ask permission like they were supposed to rather than hide caches and lie about it. The acts of a few do effect the rest of us locally. With the right situation it would reach farther than that.

Much ado about nothing.

Look at the big picture.

The people you need to refer to are called "pedophiles". Gay does not equal pedophile. Pedophiles are not exclusive to any one orientation. :D

Actually his description is more accurate.

Fallen Roman Catholic priests are identified as pedophiles, sex abusers, or just nasty perverts. Though most engage in sex acts with boys, the popular, liberated social status of homosexual is denied them, both by their own Church, the Liberal media, and the gay community.

On topic:

I really like what your geocaching organization does for geocaching. Most of the large geocaching organizations use similar principles. Another great reference is the Geocreed

Edited by Kit Fox

Much ado about nothing.

Look at the big picture.

Fallen Roman Catholic priests are identified as pedophiles, sex abusers, or just nasty perverts. Though most engage in sex acts with boys, the popular, liberated social status of homosexual is denied them, both by their own Church, the Liberal media, and the gay community.

On topic:

I really like what your geocaching organization does for geocaching. Most of the large geocaching organizations use similar principles. Another great reference is the Geocreed

For criminnie sakes, don't grab the bait, it only encourages them.

Much ado about nothing.

Look at the big picture.

On topic:

Wow! Popular and liberated??!! Does that mean we're well liked and have equal rights now? Geez... everyone will want to be gay now... :D

Again, Gay does not equal pedophile. Pedophiles are not exclusive to any one orientation.

The logic used by the author of the post I objected to is akin to...

All dogs are mammals

All mammals have fur/hair.

All cats are mammals

therefore all cats are dogs

I really didn't want to hijack this thread. It just really bothers me when people blur the lines of an innocent group of people, with horrible abusers. :D

I really didn't want to hijack this thread. It just really bothers me when people blur the lines of an innocent group of people, with horrible abusers. :D

I don't think you did. I think that statement there is the crux of this entire thread.

Who was it that said someone or group was a "horrible abuser"?

Maybe it's more out of ignorance of the rules of caching than it is selfishness. I think it is easy for a person to just skip past the rules when first starting out, I'm definitely guilty of that one. Somehow we need to better educate the new people before they go out and start caching.

I almost archived a cache in a really neat location after some folks ignored the posted hours (both on the page and at the site) and ignored the trail rules by bushwacking in at night and stating it in their logs. Fortunately the land manager was not too angry, and after I made it clear through local contacts/groups that the cache would be archived and the place not likely to allow further caches if it happened again, there were no additional problems. However, I did find the stupidity of it all rather annoying.

I really didn't want to hijack this thread. It just really bothers me when people blur the lines of an innocent group of people, with horrible abusers. :blink:

I don't think you did. I think that statement there is the crux of this entire thread.

Who was it that said someone or group was a "horrible abuser"?

The "horrible abuser" would be the cachers who do things that bring a bad light to caching as a whole.

Since that is the basis of this thread "Detrimental behavior that affects geocaching as a whole" I think it fits nicely. OK, so detrimental behavior and abuser are not exactly the same, they are similar enough for the sake of debate.

For clarity, it should be realized that what is minor to some is major to others.

I personally think that trash caches are a negative on the sport of geocaching. Feel free to debate, just don't think I will change my mind. I might respond with the reasons I feel the way I do (even though we've recently had an entire thread on the topic), but I don't expect to change your mind either. Just give honest opinions.

SD

I almost archived a cache in a really neat location after some folks ignored the posted hours (both on the page and at the site) and ignored the trail rules by bushwacking in at night and stating it in their logs. Fortunately the land manager was not too angry, and after I made it clear through local contacts/groups that the cache would be archived and the place not likely to allow further caches if it happened again, there were no additional problems. However, I did find the stupidity of it all rather annoying.

Yeah, it's bad enough breaking the rules. To brag about it in online logs is beyond my comprehension.

Edited by briansnat

Yes, people who think that they are the only thing that matters in the world can ruin any group they join. These are the same type of people who find a cache, then leave it laying out in the open. Cachers who are too lazy to put a cache back the way they found it really get my goat. It shows a lack of respect for the owner and all future seekers of the cache.

I know that these people are (thankfully) in the vast minority, but just one sweeping through an area can ruin dozens of great hides.

SD

With regards to guidelines, some read (and cross my heart double pinky swear to use good judgement)-some don't. With regards to common sense, some have-some don't. And as for following rules or laws, some will-some don't give a schtick. Simple as that, and that ain't going to change. Mother Nature is resilient and so some bushwhacking, while maybe inconsiderate, it is often unintentional and she recovers quickly. We all know that GPS can send you in circles sometimes. Rule or law breaking may be unethical,leading to bad PR for the sport, but I have a bigger pet peeve. Cache placement that encourages destruction of historical structures. If you put a cache container in a 150 year old, hand built, creekstone wall, what do you think will happen to it?????????

Edited by snowfrog
I'm assuming that caches you prefer are usually urban in nature, and park and grabs. If most parks, forests, and nature areas banned caching, you wouldn't care, because it wouldn't affect "your kind of cache."

So, if people agree with you, they like the "real" caches in the wilderness. If they don't, they must be enthralled with microswill (obviously)? Seems very......binary. Overly simplistic.

Ummmmm.....no.

The cancerous spread of selfishness ... is negatively affecting geocaching whether we like it or not.

The cancerous spread of selfishness is negatively affecting the world. Case in point: SUVs.

Hikers cut switchbacks.

Bicyclists run up the sideslopes and slide through turns.

Equestrians ride on muddy trails.

Politicians make promises they can't keep.

Personally, I have ... well, I don't want to talk about it. Let's just say that I belong to the human race.

Heck, I have good friends who drive SUVs. The horror. Good people do bad things.

Edward

Yes, people who think that they are the only thing that matters in the world can ruin any group they join. These are the same type of people who find a cache, then leave it laying out in the open. Cachers who are too lazy to put a cache back the way they found it really get my goat. It shows a lack of respect for the owner and all future seekers of the cache.

I know that these people are (thankfully) in the vast minority, but just one sweeping through an area can ruin dozens of great hides.

SD

even if they are a minority, WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE? geez, that is horrible. Fortunately I have only come across one cache that was left exposed in the few months that I have been enjoying this activity. I confidently doubt they were geocachers and were most likely young muggles. The cache was near little league ballfields. But it really is almost impossible for me to believe that someone would log onto this site, be hunting caches on a somewhat regular basis, and break the golden rule of placing a cache back where you found it so the next cacher can enjoy the game as well.

I like how in golf, the rules state that you may move dead unattached items, like twigs, branches, and leaves, from your ball or while looking for your ball, but cannot pull out or remove anything attached or alive, such as blades of grass or a branches of a tree. Perhaps a bad example cause they might have bulldozed a forest to build the golf course in the first place, but I am sure a similar rule of natural conservation applies to Geocaching. Trampling and destroying the nature around a cache, also breaks a golden rule of caching cause then the next cacher that comes along will see the evidence of activity when close to GZ. And once again, I doubt any of the geocachers who log onto this website, the forum portion especially, would do such a thing.

Let the replies begin, cause as far as the thread topic goes, it sounds like the two things I mention above are being done by cachers.

Sure glad this thread got back on topic, it looked like it almost jumped the shark there with talk of pedophiles and illegal immigrants :blink:

Much ado about nothing.

Look at the big picture.

Why am I not surprised with this response?

The catalyst for the "Recent Unpleasantness" here in South Carolina was just one cache placer. Add an unscrupulous and ambitious politician into the mix and you have a recipe for fight for the very existence of the hobby in your state.

Additionally, how did the problem with placing geocaches on NPS property start? What about a few of the other places that have banned or severely restricted geocaching?

Much ado about nothing? Hardly.

Folks should be more respectful of the properties on which we pursue our hobby. While we can't stop our fellow cacher from being disrespectful, we most certainly don't have to condone the behavior in any shape or form. The attitude of "we can't stop them so it's okay" is simply flat out wrong.

I have to wonder about someone who would say something like that. Do they have that attitude because they have such a defeatist mentality or are they trying to argue the case for activities they themselves participate in so it may become more acceptable?

The cancerous spread of selfishness ... is negatively affecting geocaching whether we like it or not.

The cancerous spread of selfishness is negatively affecting the world. Case in point: SUVs.

Hikers cut switchbacks.

Personally, I have ... well, I don't want to talk about it. Let's just say that I belong to the human race.

Heck, I have good friends who drive SUVs. The horror. Good people do bad things.

Edward

And?

I'm assuming that caches you prefer are usually urban in nature, and park and grabs. If most parks, forests, and nature areas banned caching, you wouldn't care, because it wouldn't affect "your kind of cache."

So, if people agree with you, they like the "real" caches in the wilderness. If they don't, they must be enthralled with microswill (obviously)? Seems very......binary. Overly simplistic.

Ummmmm.....no.

It sure seems like your trolling for a fight (like you always do). :P You completely missed my point. The majority of urban caches are hidden without the knowledge or permission of the property owners. Since these areas are not managed by land managers, caching continues with little oversight. I was not making judgement on urban micros, just stating a fact that they rarely get affected by geocaching bans.

The adverse decisions (complete bans on geocaching, or severe restrictions) usually take place on managed land state parks, wilderness areas, forest land, hiking trails, or other similar areas. A good portion of these areas already have pro geocaching guidelines, or no guidelines at all. Breaking the rules or engaging in destructive behavior is the fastest way to permanently remove caches from these areas.

I doesn't matter where you want to hide, or find caches, provided your behavior doesn't ruin the sport for the rest of us.

Edited by Kit Fox

Hikers cut switchbacks.

Edward

Hikers don't have to worry about having their geocache approved on land that banned geocaching. All they have to do is put their boots on and ignore the "no hiking" signs.

Same for bicyclists.

Ignorant Politicians who get a "wild hair" are quick to try to ban geocaching (search "South Carolina").

SUVs don't bother me, unless they are used to drive off trail to access caches (actually happened in ABDSP).

The catalyst for the "Recent Unpleasantness" here in South Carolina was just one cache placer. Add an unscrupulous and ambitious politician into the mix and you have a recipe for fight for the very existence of the hobby in your state.

I could see how geocaching could be an easy target of a politician. Once you buy your GPSr it doesn't do much to add to the local economy (ie sales taxes). It is still a bit of a fringe activity that most muggle "soccer moms/dads" associate with the whole bomb thing (that we joke about here cause it is so illogical to place a bomb in the middle of nowhere).

Then there are stories like these: news of cache saving lives

It is so obvious to us that the benefits of geocaching to everyone outweigh the other stuff. Besides CITO, normal lawful citizens going to places that may rarely get policed otherwise, helps put more eyes on the wilderness. If we see a problem while we are out there, we will call the LEOs. I wouldn't be surprised if it is a geocacher that eventually discovers the wreckage of Steve Fossett's plane.

Examples

Gee, I thought we had been through all this before.

If we couldn't even begin to resolve one of the issues your bring up in 8 pages of forum posts how long will this one go on before it gets locked down.

Deane

AKA: DeRock & the Psychic Cacher - Grattan MI

Gee, I thought we had been through all this before.

If we couldn't even begin to resolve one of the issues your bring up in 8 pages of forum posts how long will this one go on before it gets locked down.

Deane

AKA: DeRock & the Psychic Cacher - Grattan MI

That thread was a great example on how certain geocachers can "explain away" trespassing signs, in their pursuit of the "almighty smiley."

........it really is almost impossible for me to believe that someone would log onto this site, be hunting caches on a somewhat regular basis, and break the golden rule of placing a cache back where you found it so the next cacher can enjoy the game as well......

.......Trampling and destroying the nature around a cache, also breaks a golden rule of caching cause then the next cacher that comes along will see the evidence of activity when close to GZ. And once again, I doubt any of the geocachers who log onto this website, the forum portion especially, would do such a thing.

I've been around for a while and these things DO in fact happen. For whatever reason, be it laziness, be it "I'm in a hurry," be it a group of cachers together, confusion, etc..... can't say exactly why, but it does definitely occur.