Peanut Allergies

FireRef

A person on another forum, not related to this one, commented on how difficult it is for cachers with peanut or nut allergies to cache when they find containers which originally contained nuts as the cache container. They asked that people not use them.

Not to be insensitive, but people with Nut and Latex allergies have a serious problem. They need to be aware of where they are and what they are coming into contact with. The rest of us should be sensitive to these issues when told about them for a specific person - but I have always felt that people with these allergies need to protect themselves, not have everyone else change everything that they do in order to protect them. If they come across a container which used to hold peanuts, they should stay away from it. It doesn't seem reasonable to me to expect everyone else to stop using the containers.

I have a large number of allergies. I don't go places that things, such as animals I am alergic to, reside. I don't eat foods that contain substances to which I am allergic, or have been exposed to. I don't expect the food establishment to throw out their entire supply of mustard because I am violently allergic to it.

Again - I'm not trying to be insensitive. I just feel we need to protect ourselves.

And don't address the "former-food" container issue... we all know they're not a great idea, but my issue is with the idea that we need to change what we do for a select group of people, rather than them watching out for themselves.

Opinions?

A good many opinions were expressed on this topic recently here. If you'd care to read opinions.

Obviously I type slowly.....

Heh - whoops - hence the reason to search first and post new topic later... time to duck and cover :D

No need to duck and cover, but it was pretty memorable, and relatively recent. I'd say your opinion would have fallen in the the majority last time.

Peanut allergies are to the protiens, not the oils. A spin through the old dishwasher will remove any remaining peanut protiens rendering the container safe for those with peanut allergies. The issue of munching by critters can be largely resolved via a bleachy soak.

SQUAWK!

Edited by sbell111

If you are that allergic, get the shots to get over the allergy. I was really allergic to ragweed, but grew out of it. The symptoms were controlled by OTC and perscription drugs, but if it wasn't I would have gotten shots to control it.

The concern is that exposure to peanuts can cause anaphylactic shock which can lead to death. It is not simply a matter of getting the sniffles or breaking out in hives. Exposure can kill within minutes. It is uncommon to outgrow a peanut allergy and there is no medication you can take over the counter to control it. You carry a syringe and take a shot which hopefully gives you enough time for paramedics to get to you and take you to the hospital before you stop breathing.

A proper run through a dishwasher should clean the container enough to make it safe, but I expect there are better containers to use anyway.

Most of the peanut jars that The Team has encountered are wrapped in either straight duct tape or camo duct tape and seem to hold up quite well. Since we do not have any such allergies of note, we actually like them as a container. As a matter of fact, we have one in the garage right now waiting for springtime deployment. It has been thoroughly washed at least twice and we think that it ought to not pose any danger.

A good many opinions were expressed on this topic recently here. If you'd care to read opinions.

Obviously I type slowly.....

Heh - whoops - hence the reason to search first and post new topic later... time to duck and cover :P
No need to duck and cover, but it was pretty memorable, and relatively recent. I'd say your opinion would have fallen in the the majority last time.
Umm...

He was part of the majority...

Sorry to interrupt the petty bickering and bring this thread back to the original point...

I agree with the posters that express sympathy, but not to the point of interfering with everyone's freedom to do their own thing.

The school I teach in stopped selling latex balloons when we had a student with a latex allergy in the school - they also told us to stop doing a lab that involves latex rubber. So for four years, we adjusted several things in our school. I understand the balloons. I also understand the latex restriction on chemistry labs, but only during the year when the student was in that class or those rooms.

I believe we need to make allowances for people with medical conditions. I do not believe we need to adjust the entire world for one person's specific issues or problems. As some posters stated, people have to be responsible for their own lives, health, and safety. As much as I disagree with smoking, stopping everyone from smoking interferes with their rights. However, allowing them to smoke in places where I am required to go is interfering with my rights to breathe clean air. I don't know if there is one good answer... but I think that stopping people from using peanut butter jars simply because some people have a peanut allergy is silly. As some posters said, some people are allergic to almost anything - so we'd better stop the hobby to protect them from injuries - only use hypoallergenic containers which repel snakes, spiders, and all forms of possibly dangerous life, and are padded on all edges, and are only in flat, completely obstacle free areas, etc... see where this is going?

Life is dangerous... I just hunted several caches in the last week that required walking or nearly crawling through storm sewers. I chose to do it, and as a responsible citizen, would have chosen to accept any injuries I acquired as a result of my choices. Other people need to start doing the same and become responsible for their choices - that is what is lacking in this world - too much victim mentality, too little self-responsibility.

I'm glad to see that while he may have forgotten the thread, he hasn't forgotten his position like some...

:blink:

OK... everyone put the pin back in the grenade, set it down and take a few steps back...

There ya go!

:P

DCC

Sheesh, everyone is so used to the flaming, yelling and screaming around here that a simple attempt to clarify and educate is taken as a verbal hand grenade?

No wonder most cachers I know don't bother to read these forums.

You may now all resume your name calling and vitriol.

I've never been impressed with peanut butter containers as cache containers. Though they are a step up from GladWare and Chinese food containers. :blink: I guess I must be considered wealthy! I can afford to buy Lock and Lock containers, or ammo cans, when I want to hide a cache!

Most peanut butter containers that I've found have been listed as such on the cache page. With a little common sense, and given the nature of this allergy, all cachers who hide peanut butter containers should list them as such on the cache page. Unfortunately, most cachers do not read the fora, and are unaware of this.

Of course, we should also add an icon attribute for peanut butter containers for those who suffer from the allergy, but insist on going paperless.

OK... everyone put the pin back in the grenade, set it down and take a few steps back...

There ya go!

DCC

Sheesh, everyone is so used to the flaming, yelling and screaming around here that a simple attempt to clarify and educate is taken as a verbal hand grenade?

Yup, I agree with you. I started a thread about not putting Play Dough in caches since it's FOOD and raccoons will even open an ammo box to get it ... and just happened to mention that I have celiac disease which makes me deathly allergic to wheat hence Play Dough. I was soundly flamed for using "scare tactics" and the whole thread went off to nowhere in particular and the original intent of the thread was completely lost....

unbelievable how these things take on a life of their own. I think some folks have an allergic reaction to words.

Opinions?

I'll continue to use PB jars where I deem it appropriate. I feel it's the person who has the allergy to stop if they are uncomfortable proceeding with any hunt beyond their capabilities, in this case possible allergens. I'll walk away from hunts for reasons a less serious than health issues.

Besides, if they are so allergic to a jar that I'll cleaned of foodstuffs well enough to use as a cache then I may be too much of an allergen to be around considering peanuts are a favorite snack of mine.

Although I agree it is the responsibility of those who are allergic to peanuts to protect themselves, I certainly don't feel the need to make my point by intentionally placing peanut butter jar caches. If it helps other cachers, I will not use peanut butter jars. Considering all the other containers out there, this request is pretty easy to accommodate.

Now hopefully there aren't too many people allergic to sauerkraut :P

Although I agree it is the responsibility of those who are allergic to peanuts to protect themselves, I certainly don't feel the need to make my point by intentionally placing peanut butter jar caches. If it helps other cachers, I will not use peanut butter jars. Considering all the other containers out there, this request is pretty easy to accommodate.

I'm not looking for people to intentionally go out and try to put more peanut butter jars, any more than they already do. I like the containers.

I don't know about sauerkraut...

Someone on another forum said there was a child going to their child's school that wasn't able to be around people who have eaten peanuts for 3 hours after they ate. Anyone ever hear of this? Sounds like a little farfetched to me that there could be any reaction by .. what, breathing peanut breath?

This thread (and the other two) is much ado about nothing. The act of cleaning the jar to use it as a cache renders it safe to those with an allergy. If a person with an allergy is still concerned they are free to abort the hunt at any time. It's not like they can't identify a peanut butter jar on sight.

Whether these jars make good containers or not largely depends on the specific jar and location.

A while back, i was tested for allergies and the positives came back as a list as long as my arm. Dust, hair, pollen, plants...

Admittedly peanut allergy is one of the deadliest but it seems to me that if we accommodated every possible physical problem in our cache placement practices we would not place any caches at all.

I recall a story of "The Boy in the Plastic Bubble" or something like that where a child had no immune system and had to be isolated from everything. I understand that this actually happens (or is it urban myth?) but inevitably the person does not survive. Why? Because we live in a fallen and dangerous world that terminates in the death of every living thing. That is how life works.

In the famous words of "Dirty Harry," "A man has got to know his limitations."

This world is fraught with danger and inexorably holds our ultimate demise. Corporately we need to be sensitive to the limits of others, but not to the extent of limiting those who are not limited by those limits.

One's personal limits are one's personal responsibility.

There ya go!

DCC

:mad:

Yup, I agree with you. I started a thread about not putting Play Dough in caches since it's FOOD and raccoons will even open an ammo box to get it ... and just happened to mention that I have celiac disease which makes me deathly allergic to wheat hence Play Dough. I was soundly flamed for using "scare tactics" and the whole thread went off to nowhere in particular and the original intent of the thread was completely lost....

unbelievable how these things take on a life of their own. I think some folks have an allergic reaction to words.

I was merely referring to the fact that we'd been over this topic (thoroughly) in a previous post (11 pages worth, referenced above) and that it got a bit contentious. Bringing it up (yet again) is much like dropping a grenade in the middle of a room and dashing out.

And just for re-enforcement... the world is a dangerous place. If you're extra-sensitive to certain things (like peanuts) it's up to you, not the rest of us, to take extra steps to protect yourself.

You'll notice I did not resort to name-calling or vitriol. :P

Cache on!

DCC

Drooling_Mongoloid that suit is SO last year and the protection it gives is questionable at best. This is the new suit we are wearing this year.

smartsuit-full.jpg

As you can see the suit has an integrated GPS (note the GPS antenna stub extending from the back between the shoulder blades). The suit interfaces directly with our nervous system. The suit uses mapping software, bump and cliff sensors, and an electrical interface that sends "signals" (a.k.a small electric shocks) to our nervous system that cause our muscles to move and safely navigate us to the cache. All we have to do is let the suit do the walking and enjoy the scenery.

This is a photo of our team with both the inner layer pictured above and the outer of the suit donned. We are in full geocaching mode here.

Gastightsuits.png

This is an urban caching training session with two of our newest team members (the ones in the yellow suits). At first we thought that caching like this would attract a lot of attention and expose hidden caches to non-geocachers. However it has exactly the opposite effect. We are free to move around the city as we please and people seen for the most part to ignore our actions. As you can clearly see in the photo the people in the background are barely taking notice that we are standing in the middle of a busy city street.

I have a large number of allergies. I don't go places that things, such as animals I am alergic to, reside. I don't eat foods that contain substances to which I am allergic, or have been exposed to. I don't expect the food establishment to throw out their entire supply of mustard because I am violently allergic to it.

Opinions?

So which of your many allergies will kill you at even the smallest amount?

If the answer is none, then my opinion is that your example proves that you don't remotely comprehend the situation. I don't have any allergies myself, so I can't say... but you asked for people's opinions. :P

On one of the other threads about this subject, there was a cacher who has a child with a nut allergy who even said that they keep peanut butter in the house but make sure it is separated from their child. Now, I'm sure that there are varying degrees to the allergy, but given that nut allergies only affect about 1.3 % of the population, it's a small concern to cachers in general. Proper washing of containers, and just good common sense on the allergic individual's part will virtually eliminate any issue this could cause. I'm sure that the majority of cache owners would accept a picture of the found container in lieu of writing your name in a log book if you're allergic to nuts. You can tell which containers are likely to have once held peanut or other nut butter. Most of us carry around a camera with us every day on our cell phones, so this is truly not an inconvenience to either party.

Playdoh is a poor choice for a swag item because of it's "smell-factor", but will cause little harm to anyone with Celiac Disease. Gluten is not asorbed through the skin, so as long as you wash your hands before cross-contaminating anything that you might eat, you will not be affected by the Gluten in Playdoh. Celiac Disease is also not normally a fatal intolerance as explained by this quote from the Merck Manual:

"Although most people do well if they avoid gluten, long-standing celiac disease can be fatal in a small percentage of people who develop intestinal lymphoma. Whether strictly adhering to a gluten-free diet decreases the risk of long-term complications such as intestinal cancers or lymphoma is not known."

I have Celiac Disease, as well as an extreme allergy to bees. I cache, I hike, I live. I use my common sense, and everything is fine. I don't expect my health issues to dictate how others live their lives. I make sure I read the cache descriptions and I stop looking for anything that makes me feel uncomfortable (due to allergies or otherwise).

Playdoh is a poor choice for a swag item because of it's "smell-factor", but will cause little harm to anyone with Celiac Disease. Gluten is not absorbed through the skin, so as long as you wash your hands before cross-contaminating anything that you might eat, you will not be affected by the Gluten in Playdoh.

I have Celiac Disease, as well as an extreme allergy to bees. I cache, I hike, I live.

My point Play Dough in that thread I mentioned (it's FOOD). I just mentioned in passing that I'm allergic to wheat (of which Play Dough is made) and the fangs & claws came out. I couldn't believe the posts about it. Only thing I can think is that it was shortly after a "peanut" thread and tempers were hot.

One of our local cachers has Celiac too and we share dishes at the local Meet & Greets! :P I don't need a primer on Celiac though your info may be useful for others. I've "educated" a local gastroenterologist (and paid handsomely for the privilege), my surgeon (ditto), the "nutritionist" at our local hospital (though she was so pleased by the education I gave her, she didn't bill me) and more.

Praise be for the Internet, for without it, living in this backward community, I would not be typing right now.

I wish you well. I just successfully tried something new a few days ago. An Arby's Beef & Cheddar with no bun. First time in two years I was able to enjoy one of my old guilty pleasures.

I don't expect my health issues to dictate how others live their lives.

Exactly! Well said and I think most people with "unusual" personal limitations will agree.

I would only add, "with the possible exception, to some extent, of my immediate family" because the immediate family of a person with special needs usually changes their habits somewhat just so the affected person "fits in" and to not necessitate extra work. E.G. when i was diagnosed with diabetes, the whole family got healthier meals. They don't have to watch their carbs as closely as I do, but it doesn't hurt and preparing separate meals is nonsense.

If I had a very young child with a food allergy, you can rest assured that food would not be in the house. But after the child came to sufficient intelligence to recognise the hazard and showed sense enough to leave it alone, that food would be available to the rest of the family if they wanted it. At that point, it is the individual (child's) responsibility to avoid the problem substance.

So which of your many allergies will kill you at even the smallest amount?

If the answer is none, then my opinion is that your example proves that you don't remotely comprehend the situation. I don't have any allergies myself, so I can't say... but you asked for people's opinions.

Electricity can kill at the slightest touch (or in some cases just by close proximity). Because one has not been electrocuted are they therefore incapable of understanding the hazard?

I don't expect society to give up electricity because it is hazardous.

Electricity can kill at the slightest touch (or in some cases just by close proximity). Because one has not been electrocuted are they therefore incapable of understanding the hazard?

I don't expect society to give up electricity because it is hazardous.

I thought gc.com did have a guideline about electricity and caches.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I don't need a primer on Celiac though your info may be useful for others.

Sorry if it came across as if I was trying to educate you. I wasn't. I was merely putting the info out for others out there who may not understand the condition. People with Celiac certainly have to eliminate that of which affects their health, however, it's not as severe/urgent of a situation as those with a nut allergy. I don't know that I would classify Playdoh as a "food item", but it is edible, and it does smell, especially to animals with a keener sense of smell than humans. Either way, a terrible choice for swag.

I would only add, "with the possible exception, to some extent, of my immediate family" because the immediate family of a person with special needs usually changes their habits somewhat just so the affected person "fits in" and to not necessitate extra work. E.G. when i was diagnosed with diabetes, the whole family got healthier meals. They don't have to watch their carbs as closely as I do, but it doesn't hurt and preparing separate meals is nonsense.

If I had a very young child with a food allergy, you can rest assured that food would not be in the house. But after the child came to sufficient intelligence to recognise the hazard and showed sense enough to leave it alone, that food would be available to the rest of the family if they wanted it. At that point, it is the individual (child's) responsibility to avoid the problem substance.

I agree, and certainly people living around an individual with health concerns should work with them and help them in any way they can. And likewise, it is good for us, as individuals, to become more educated about the hardships that others encounter. Being sympathatic to their situations will never hurt anyone, however an ounce of prevention on the affected person's part, will usually be enough to keep them safe while allowing others to continue with life as usual. And really, most people I have met with serious health condition, or physical impairment, want just that.......life as normal as possible.

And really, most people I have met with serious health condition, or physical impairment, want just that.......life as normal as possible.

Absolutely.

Because of this, a lot of people choose to keep their "disabilities" to themselves. All the well meaning do-gooders in the world trying to change the way everything works to accommodate every special need in the world gets pretty annoying, even (perhaps especially?) to the people with the special needs.

In actuality it is an insult to a person with a health condition or disability for others to go seriously out of their way, in an unnecessary manner, to "accommodate" them. It is kinda like saying "you poor baby! Here let me help you because I know you are not capable of taking care of yourself."

This is OK for a baby, but not for a fully functional person who just has a special need. People who have special needs are not usually immature or incapable of taking care of themselves (except of course when this IS the nature of their disability such as mental deficiency or substantial paralysis).

For example "it is not polite to stare at the man in the wheelchair" so often inadvertently turns into "no one will look me in the eye or talk to me because i am in a wheelchair." The person in the wheelchair most likely would just like to associate with you the same as any of your friends that doesn't happen to need a wheelchair.

This should not be read to indicate I think accommodating people with disabilities is a bad thing. Au Contraire, I am a great fan of "the Americans With Disabilities Act" to the extent that it doesn't put unbearable financial burdens on businesses and such. As a society we should do what we can to help those who need it, but we need to identify clearly who those people are.

When one's disability only involves avoiding a particular substance, i don't believe the substance should be banned.

Most of us carry around a camera with us every day on our cell phones, so this is truly not an inconvenience to either party.

Cell phone?!? Now I got to get a cell phone?!?

Reminds me of the lady who said she'd leave a message on my answering machine. Excuse me! I'm supposed to get an answering machine for YOUR convenience?!?

Most of us carry around a camera with us every day on our cell phones, so this is truly not an inconvenience to either party.

Reminds me of the lady who said she'd leave a message on my answering machine. Excuse me! I'm supposed to get an answering machine for YOUR convenience?!?

Oh for crying out loud! :smile:

Oh for crying out loud! :(

Well to be honest, I have an I-530 Nextel phone, no camera. No answering machine. No voice mail (ok, it does have that but I've never figured out how to check it and don't really want it).

:D

And really, most people I have met with serious health condition, or physical impairment, want just that.......life as normal as possible.

Absolutely.

Because of this, a lot of people choose to keep their "disabilities" to themselves.

You got that right. When I got diabeties I considered not even telling my family because I didn't want them worrying about me or fussing over me. Until your thread no one outside work and home knew about it.

I'm the same person today I was before, treat me the same. :(

Absolutely.

Because of this, a lot of people choose to keep their "disabilities" to themselves.

You got that right. When I got diabeties I considered not even telling my family because I didn't want them worrying about me or fussing over me. Until your thread no one outside work and home knew about it.

I can't treat you the same if I know you have a medical issue.

I cache with a diabetic fairly regularly. At first we would get wrapped up in a cache run and occasionally she'd start acting a bit erratic. I was not particularly paying attention to her, she was not aware it was happening, her sugar gets out of whack and pretty quickly I have a very sick girl on my hands. Knowing that she's diabetic I now pay more attention. Sure, her disease maintenance is her responsibility, but with diabetes folks sometimes don't know until too late that it's getting out of hand. Since I now know of the problem and know what to do about it I feel safer taking her along.

One of my caching buddies is deathly allergic to mushrooms. We have a lot of meet-and-greets where folks bring foods, and I host several a year where I do the cooking. I use mushrooms in many of the things that I cook. Once we rented a dining hall and he was cooking his own food since I was using mushrooms. He used a serving spoon I had used to stir my dish and it was enough to make him sick. Now if I know he'll be there I change my menu.

One of my regular caching buddies is a liver transplant recipient. She has to be careful where she eats due to the risk of infection... buffets, for example, where many people handle the food and serving table instruments, are too risky and must be avoided. When she's with us we've learned to consider her needs when selecting a place to eat.

I took a paraplegic hunting yesterday. By afternoon he smelled of urine. At first I ignored it, not wanting to embarrass him. Finally I asked, it turns out his catheter bag had overflowed and he was reluctant to ask for help. I would have been more than happy to help with whatever he needed, but he chose to keep it to himself.

Sometimes people do treat you funny - being raised to be a southern gentleman it's odd to have certain roles reversed, like old ladies holding the door for me because I am in a wheelchair. I love the ones that treat me like being in a wheelchair means I lost my mind as well... they bend over to look you in the eye and speak real slowly. Funny stuff.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Absolutely.

I cache with a diabetic fairly regularly. At first we would get wrapped up in a cache run and occasionally she'd start acting a bit erratic. I was not particularly paying attention to her, she was not aware it was happening, her sugar gets out of whack and pretty quickly I have a very sick girl on my hands. Knowing that she's diabetic I now pay more attention. Sure, her disease maintenance is her responsibility, but with diabetes folks sometimes don't know until too late that it's getting out of hand. Since I now know of the problem and know what to do about it I feel safer taking her along.

One of my regular caching buddies is a liver transplant recipient. She has to be careful where she eats due to the risk of infection... buffets, for example, where many people handle the food and serving table instruments, are too risky and must be avoided. When she's with us we've learned to consider her needs when selecting a place to eat.

I took a paraplegic hunting yesterday. By afternoon he smelled of urine. At first I ignored it, not wanting to embarrass him. Finally I asked, it turns out his catheter bag had overflowed and he was reluctant to ask for help. I would have been more than happy to help with whatever he needed, but he chose to keep it to himself.

Sometimes people do treat you funny - being raised to be a southern gentleman it's odd to have certain roles reversed, like old ladies holding the door for me because I am in a wheelchair. I love the ones that treat me like being in a wheelchair means I lost my mind as well... they bend over to look you in the eye and speak real slowly. Funny stuff.

That's fine Rambler, I'm refering more to the mother henning. In my younger days I used to call myself a "Tough old goat", able to take anything anybody or situation could dish out. Inside I'm still young, so don't treat me like I'm fragile now.

Absolutely.

That is one reason I am reluctant to see a doctor or dentist. Specifically, the Wifemate just worries too much. The "momma's baby" syndrome kicks in. FGS that's annoying!

The first time I was diagnosed diabetic, she went into full scale "sugar police" mode.

Thank God this time she better understands. She is now very helpful in planning meals and cooking healthy and she understands that diabetics HAVE TO HAVE SUGAR, just not TOO MUCH of it.

I cannot speak for anyone else and Heaven forbid that I would judge anyone's personal response to their personal problems but as for me, I am an independent adult. i am capable of taking care of myself (I Thank God for that because I know there are many who are not so blessed). It is really hard for me to let others do things for me even when i truly can't do them for myself. It gets my goat when someone turns on the "you poor baby" attitude.

I don't think I am wrong in believing that most people with disabilities share this view.

I think it is one of the hardest things a human being can do to admit they need help. it is therefore very aggravating when someone takes it upon themselves to help when none is needed or wanted.

On the other side of this coin, there are many who never get the help they really need because they are not willing to ask for it and the "do gooders" are either absent or afraid to step in for fear of offending.

It is a narrow tight-rope.

That's fine Rambler, I'm refering more to the mother henning. In my younger days I used to call myself a "Tough old goat", able to take anything anybody or situation could dish out. Inside I'm still young, so don't treat me like I'm fragile now.

Yes, I know what you mean. To some extent geocaching is my personal statement that I can still do what I want and take care of myself. I rarely need help.

Sometimes someone wants to help so badly that they make a nuisance of themselves - I pick up my wheelchair and throw it in the back of my truck multiple times daily, for example. Sometimes someone who doesn't know me will ask "Can I help you with that?". I think that's nice of them. I have, on the other hand, had people so insistent that I allow them to load my chair that they practically knock me out of the way trying to get to it! I'll say "Thank you, but I got it" and they'll still go to grabbing at it trying to help, throwing me off balance.

Sometimes it's hard not to say "What part of "I don't need your help" did you not understand?".

Absolutely.

I'm the same person today I was before, treat me the same. :D

One of my caching buddies is deathly allergic to mushrooms. We have a lot of meet-and-greets where folks bring foods, and I host several a year where I do the cooking. I use mushrooms in many of the things that I cook. Once we rented a dining hall and he was cooking his own food since I was using mushrooms. He used a serving spoon I had used to stir my dish and it was enough to make him sick. Now if I know he'll be there I change my menu.

It is always good that persons close to you know your limitations. I think it is GREAT that you CHOOSE (that's the operative word) to modify your lifestyle to compensate for other people's limitations. That is the right thing to do. Absolutely.

My problem with it comes in when the CHOICE is taken away and something that is perfectly acceptable to the majority of people is suggested to be eliminated because of a few people's limitations.

I am diabetic and cannot stand, let alone physically tolerate, regular Coke®. I drink only diet drinks because the sugar content in regular drinks is way too much, in the quantities i drink, to have even the remotest hope of BG control if I were to drink them. I will never say the regular soft drinks should be banned, not even in school cafeterias.

The premise of this thread that I disagree with is that geocachers as a whole should refrain from using peanut jars because a VERY few people have VERY DEADLY allergies.

If, as an individual cache placer, you want to consider this a serious issue and/or simply believe it is the right thing to do, then by all means change out your peanut butter jar for a sterilized ammo box. (since the ammo box is a much better container in the first place, this is nothing if not a win-win situation) :(

...You got that right. When I got diabeties I considered not even telling my family because I didn't want them worrying about me or fussing over me. Until your thread no one outside work and home knew about it.

If your diabetic it helps to know what to do when you zonk out. If you have a bee allergy it helps to know the kit is in your pack and where to jab the thing. When my son had pins in his ankle it was good to know that he had a limit of about a 2 mile hike. It's good to know that one person I cache with is phobic about birds. Another person I know doesn't like eating with people and she finally explained why when she had no choice. She wasn't a stuck up sosh after all.

People are what they are, working with their limitations be they physical or mental (everyone's got issues and buttons as well) is just what we do. If we can't hack it we go find someone more compatible. It's not like we don't all have something.

Oh and not wanting to tell your family is allowing for their fuss issues. All part of the same bigger picture.