Colorado 300/400 manual is now out.

jotne

Thanks Jotne.......

I've already downloaded and read all 41 pages.....I know,I know.you're saying...Get a life!......naw, that's just a habit I have when I'm trying to make an informed decision.....and I don't even own a Colorado. ....yet

Something interesting I noticed on pg 37....The warning about NOT DELETING pre programed map data on the card....it is not recoverable.

If you buy a pre-programmed "map data card", then one of the "first orders of business" probably should be backing that card up....right?

Next idea...If that file is THAT easily accessible and can be modified/deleted, whether intentionally or otherwise, it seems like that if that map file is not readable in Mapsource or ??? now, then some data manipulation or file conversion program could make it so.

If you buy the pp card you have already paid for the use of the maps and , IMHO, the owner should be able to also use them on their computer.

Something interesting I noticed on pg 37....The warning about NOT DELETING pre programed map data on the card....it is not recoverable.

If you buy a pre-programmed "map data card", then one of the "first orders of business" probably should be backing that card up....right?

That file is 2.7GB but that's what I did knowing that I was going to be messing with it a lot. It took about an hour to backup on my PC.

Next idea...If that file is THAT easily accessible and can be modified/deleted, whether intentionally or otherwise, it seems like that if that map file is not readable in Mapsource or ??? now, then some data manipulation or file conversion program could make it so.

If you buy the pp card you have already paid for the use of the maps and , IMHO, the owner should be able to also use them on their computer.

Call Garmin and tell them. That's what I did. I think for the purposes of trip planning and reducing the startup time you should be able to use these maps in Mapsource - or you should get a steeply discounted DVD. This is another area where Garmin claims that "it works like the car units so that's why we are doing here". I don't buy it. I think trip planning for long hikes is an entirely different deal than driving some place. I'll spend hours researching topos on my PC for a hike, when was the last time you researched a driving route before jumping in the car to go some place? Maybe a really long trip, but for the most part the in car GPS does a good job.

GO$Rs

Notice the blue stick pin on the geocaching page. I wonder if that is what they plan to leave in place or will they go back to the closed box.

....and you only get to see the ONE blue stick pin for the cache to which you are navigating. You may have driven 10 miles to go 1.5 miles as the crow flies and you may have driven straight past 5 other caches along the way. Unfortunatley, you will not know that because all of the other geocaches won't show on the map overlay. After finding this cache, you can pull up the menu of closest caches to your current location. You select a cache and a blue pin will show up on the overlay for that cache. Back and forth you will go, unless you have already pre-routed your caching adventure and know the proper order in which to select the caches. Once again, no other icons for any other caches will show up unless you have loaded your caches as custon POI's and/or unless you manually input waypoints with the treasure chest icon. There is a POI limit of 1,000 and you are essentially bypassing the intended use of the geocaching mode features. You have to still load in the GPX file to view the cache descriptions, hints, and logs but you have to do a second download to create and load the custon POI's. You actually end up loading the same coords twice just to work around the limitations. The manually entered waypoints are just coords and a name with a selected icon, just like the old eTrex Legend.

I'm sure the Magellan folks are loving this since the Triton release was described as a "train wreck."

I'm sure the Magellan folks are loving this since the Triton release was described as a "train wreck."

Garmin's is put together ok, retainers set and all, just goin' a little fast, plenty of air left to slow down.

Magellan on the other hand, put all the loads at the back, used up all their air, and the hind end is cresting

that hill a mile back! Hang on, or jump off, either way it's gonna hurt. $$$

WASSless near Seattle

Norm

I'm seeing the treasure chest fine on my 300 (see below). I ran a PQ and transferred the .gpx file to the GPX folder. I haven't changed any zoom or detail settings either. I'm using firmware version 2.30. Perhaps I'm misinterpreting the problem.

Are those waypoints or geocaches?

They show up under both geocaches and waypoints. When I view them as geocaches I can see the description, logs, etc.

Garmin's is put together ok, retainers set and all, just goin' a little fast, plenty of air left to slow down.

Magellan on the other hand, put all the loads at the back, used up all their air, and the hind end is cresting

that hill a mile back! Hang on, or jump off, either way it's gonna hurt. $$$

WASSless near Seattle

Norm

Now if my brother, a Conductor, was only here. He'd have a great comeback. All I can think of is I hope Garmin doesn't bust a knuckle or throw a pin.

I'm seeing the treasure chest fine on my 300 (see below). I ran a PQ and transferred the .gpx file to the GPX folder. I haven't changed any zoom or detail settings either. I'm using firmware version 2.30. Perhaps I'm misinterpreting the problem.

They show up under both geocaches and waypoints. When I view them as geocaches I can see the description, logs, etc.

So you did not use GSAK?? Was your PQ zipped or unzipped?

I see the names above the icons are the GC numbers. I wonder if there would be any way to show the cache name instead of the GC number on the map. Could GSAK be used to reconfigure the GPX file to show the name and then the file could be recompiled back into a GPX file for export to the unit.

Can you zoom out a little further to show more caches and post the shot??

You may have just stumbled across something here. We are so use to using GSAK or other loading software that we may have simply overlooked the obvious.

How many caches did you load? How long does it take you to load up a description page? How long does it take you to pull up the next page?

Right. Somehow they got loaded as waypoints and geocaches. Geocaches don't show up on the map page but waypoints do, so I'm guessing what you are seeing is the waypoints on the screen. If you delete all of the waypoints from the waypoint manager I'm guessing they'll not show up on the map.

GO$Rs

I see the names above the icons are the GC numbers. I wonder if there would be any way to show the cache name instead of the GC number on the map. Could GSAK be used to reconfigure the GPX file to show the name and then the file could be recompiled back into a GPX file for export to the unit.

You may have just stumbled across something here. We are so use to using GSAK or other loading software that we may have simply overlooked the obvious.

How many caches did you load? How long does it take you to load up a description page? How long does it take you to pull up the next page?

This is all very interesting! I am feeling better about purchasing one of these. I rarely use GSAK to transfer caches to GPS. I usually use Easy GPS, and am dying to know how the treasure chests showed up on the map.

I did not use GSAK. The PQ was unzipped. Yeah, I'd love to show the cache name instead of the GC number. I loaded 100 caches. Loading a cache description takes about 2 seconds. The next screen (logs, etc.) comes up with virtually no delay (less than one second).

Zoomed out screen shot...

Colorado-icons-2.jpg

Right. Somehow they got loaded as waypoints and geocaches. Geocaches don't show up on the map page but waypoints do, so I'm guessing what you are seeing is the waypoints on the screen. If you delete all of the waypoints from the waypoint manager I'm guessing they'll not show up on the map.

GO$Rs

Killjoy!! :blink::P

GO$Rs

Yep. Deleted the nearest waypoint and it's gone from the map, but it still shows in the geocache list.

Can you check that there are waypoints in the unit? I suspect Garmin added code to automatically copy Geocaches to the waypoint DB. It is the easiest way for them to deal with the display and logging issues.

You guys that are seeing slow access to the GPX files...what option are you using in the export? Try exsporting WITHOUT GSAK extra fields. I suspect the "default: GSAK GPX export send more information than the Colorado needs. Try to keep thing close to a default PQ.

Edited by Red90

Sorry! I just tried downloading a raw PQ thinking that there might be something to this but they seem to work just like the GSAK generated ones for me. Here's how it works (I think):

1) Any gpx file in the Garmin\GPX directory is parsed by the Colorado at startup.

2) Non-geocache waypoints are added to the Waypoint list.

3) Geocaches in the gpx file are added to the Geocache list.

For non-geocache waypoints this actually provides a means for getting waypoints onto the Colorado without Mapsource. However, it still means if you want to get geocaches onto the Colorado as waypoints (to work around the mapping bugs for geocaches) you need to do it through Mapsource.

Man, that hurts.

GO$Rs

Can you check that there are waypoints in the unit?

You guys that are seeing slow access to the GPX files...what option are you using in the export? Try exsporting WITHOUT GSAK extra fields. I suspect the "default: GSAK GPX export send more information than the Colorado needs. Try to keep thing close to a default PQ.

The biggest thing I found that helped here is limiting the number of exported logs to 4-5 per cache. If others find optimizations let us know!

GO$Rs

Sorry! I just tried downloading a raw PQ thinking that there might be something to this but they seem to work just like the GSAK generated ones for me. Here's how it works (I think):

1) Any gpx file in the Garmin\GPX directory is parsed by the Colorado at startup.

For non-geocache waypoints this actually provides a means for getting waypoints onto the Colorado without Mapsource. However, it still means if you want to get geocaches onto the Colorado as waypoints (to work around the mapping bugs for geocaches) you need to do it through Mapsource.

Man, that hurts.

GO$Rs

Mmm, maybe I'm just not following you, but I did not go through MapSource. I simply copied the PQ .gpx file to the GPX directory on the 300.

Can you check that there are waypoints in the unit? I suspect Garmin added code to automatically copy Geocaches to the waypoint DB. It is the easiest way for them to deal with the display and logging issues.

That doesn't seem to be the case.

I deleted my custom POIs and GSAK gpx file and loaded 7 gc.com gpx files ( ~ 2mb each ). Rebooted my unit and went to the map. Nothing but waypoints. Same thing when I looked up waypoints in "Where to?".

I tried that but am not sure if it made a big difference. It may have but I was going from an 11mb GSAK gpx file to an 8mb one ( my initial export was for all my geocaches instead of a subset exported in the 8mb file ... a bit of a mistake on my part ... a mistake for what I need anyway ).

I did find though that loading a geocache from the Geocache menu selection wasn't bad, under 10 seconds. Loading the description about the same ( maybe a bit shorter ). This was the same with the single 8mb gpx file ( no extra GSAK fields ) vs the 7 - 2mb files from gc.com.

However, with my initial 11mb, ~1700 geocache file exported by GSAK ( GSAK fields included ) the load was pretty bad and actually hung my unit went I backed out of looking at a cache ... remove batteries, reboot.

p.s. all updated in f/w & s/w

Edited by nicolo

Man, that hurts.

GO$Rs

Mmm, maybe I'm just not following you, but I did not go through MapSource. I simply copied the PQ .gpx file to the GPX directory on the 300.

That almost sounds too easy......

So you just un-zipped the file and copy/paste or drag/drop it's contents directly to the directory on the receiver?

Norm

Edited by RRLover

So you just un-zipped the file and copy/paste or drag/drop it's contents directly to the directory on the receiver?

Norm

Exactly.

What I'm trying to understand and what I've never seen personally is the Colorado take geocaches from a gpx file and make them waypoints w/o using Mapsource. I still haven't seen anyone give exact instructions on how to do that.

If you delete all of the waypoints, load a gpx file of some sort onto the Colorado, start up and you have waypoints I'd like to know the procedure and the source of the gpx file.

There's also no evidence I've seen yet that would suggest geocaches are showing up on the map -- every time someone has claimed that they have waypoints loaded and when they delete the waypoints the maps don't show the treasure chests.

But I'd love to be proven wrong!

GO$Rs

Man, that hurts.

GO$Rs

I'd love to know exactly what you are doing because I've tried exactly the same thing with a PQ last night and I don't get waypoints, just geocaches.

Try this. Delete all of the waypoints on your unit using the waypoint manager, plug it in to your PC, remove all of the gpx files in Garmin\GPX and copy just the PQ gpx file that you used above into Garmin\GPX. When you restart do you have both Geocaches and Waypoints from the WhereToGo menu?

GO$Rs

I'd love to know exactly what you are doing because I've tried exactly the same thing with a PQ last night and I don't get waypoints, just geocaches.

Try this. Delete all of the waypoints on your unit using the waypoint manager, plug it in to your PC, remove all of the gpx files in Garmin\GPX and copy just the PQ gpx file that you used above into Garmin\GPX. When you restart do you have both Geocaches and Waypoints from the WhereToGo menu?

GO$Rs

You're right. I tried it again and wasn't able to reproduce it.

I suspect it's because of the way I tried to load the PQ. The first time I did it, I put it under GPX > Current. That didn't work so I removed it and put it in the GPX folder. Of course, when I tried to reproduce that this morning, I couldn't get it to work. I'm now seeing no waypoints on the screen when I load a PQ. :P

I may have another explanation, but I have no idea what is going on here. As a test, I went into waypoint manager and deleted all waypoints. Then I powered off the unit and connected to my computer. I removed every GPX file, including the current and saved, and then put for PQ GPX files in the GPX folder, disconnected the GPS and powered it up. Now here's the surprising thing. After powering it up, all my waypoints were back. I know these didn't come from the Pocket Query GPX files I loaded, because the waypoint names were GSAK modified to include TypeDiffTerrCont, so it was definitely the previous list. I have no idea how they came back. When I deleted them, it definitely said no waypoints on the Waypoint Manager screen. Sounds like some kind of weird bug.

--Marky

Before your story starts, you had your unit connected to the computer. As it went into USB drive mode, a current.gpx file was created.

You then exited the PC, started the unit and deleted all waypoints in the internal memory.

Then you powered it off, turned it on again (either manually or by applying external power), and then the still remaining current.gpx file was read as a backup and re-created your waypoints.

I'm not sure this is what you did, but I've done it in the beginning, when working with units that operate in a similar way (like the Zumo 550, for example). I was baffled too, before I understood what I was doing.

Delete the current.gpx file just before you exit from the PC, then delete the waypoints, to see if it makes any difference.