BADA BING! Cointest ~ Welcome to Dirty Joisey

avroair

1.) "I'm From New Jersey" is the only state song that is adaptable to any municipality with a two or three syllable name.

2.) Parsippany has been named Tree City USA for 24 consecutive years

3.) The state seashell is the knobbed whelk, busycon carica gmelin, it is found on all beaches and bays of New Jersey.

4.)Modern paleontology, the science of studying dinosaur fossils, began in 1858 with the discovery of the first nearly complete skeleton of a dinosaur in Haddonfield, New Jersey. The Hadrosaurus is the official New Jersey state dinosaur.

5.)New Jersey has the tallest water tower in the world

I think there will be 68 people attending.

Facts:

New Jersey has more Cubans in Union City (1 sq. mi.) than Havana, Cuba.

North Jersey is the car theft capital of the world, with more cars stolen in Newark then any other city, even the 2 largest cities, NYC and LA, put together.

In New Jersey, cabbage can't be sold on Sunday.

David Copperfield is from New Jersey.

And, some things you probably know, but are funny anyway - You know you're from Jersey if:

-You know what a "jug handle" is.

-You know that Wawa is a convenience store.

-You know that there are no "beaches" in New Jersey--there's the shore--and you don't go "to the shore," you go "down the shore." And when you are there, you're not "at the shore"; you are "down the shore."

-You know how to properly negotiate a circle.

-You knew that the last sentence had to do with driving.

-You know that this is the only "New" state that doesn't require "New" to identify it (try . . . Mexico . . .York ... Hampshire-- doesn't work, does it?).

-You know that a "White Castle" is the name of BOTH a fast food chain AND a fast food sandwich.

74 1/2 attendees (the 1/2 would be the mini-avroair in the oven :blink: )

Joisey has some interesting laws:

It is against the law to pump your own gas.

You can not frown at a police officer.

If you are caught driving drunk, you may never get a license that is personalized.

You can not detain a homing pigeon.

You are not allowed to slurp your soup.

It is against the law for a man to knit during the fishing season.

All cats must wear three bells to warn birds of their whereabouts. (in Cresskill)

You may not dance or wear shorts on the main avenue. (in Caldwell)

It is illegal to sell ice cream after 6pm, unless the customer has a note from his doctor. (in Newark)

Pickles are not to be consumed on Sundays & you may not throw a bad pickle in the street. (in Trenton)

58 attendees

I'm sure you know that Thomas Edison had his home and laboratory in NJ. But did you know?

Thomas Edison passed away in 1931 and his wife Mina passed in 1947. They were buried at Rosedale Cemetery. In 1963, the family had Thomas and Mina re-buried at the home they loved and where they spent their 44 years together - Glenmont.

And you probably didn't know this is my favorite Edison quote.

"There is no expedient to which a man will not go to avoid the labor of thinking."

Thomas A. Edison

58 attendees

I'm sure you know that Thomas Edison had his home and laboratory in NJ. But did you know?

Thomas Edison passed away in 1931 and his wife Mina passed in 1947. They were buried at Rosedale Cemetery. In 1963, the family had Thomas and Mina re-buried at the home they loved and where they spent their 44 years together - Glenmont.

And you probably didn't know this is my favorite Edison quote.

"There is no expedient to which a man will not go to avoid the labor of thinking."

Thomas A. Edison

Cool I live 3 miles from his laboratory... maybe I could stuff a micro somewhere close by. :blink: There are actually alot of things in NJ named after Edison including a town and a large wilderness management area which has tons of caches to hike out to. :P

(5) No wise cracks! I have been to every state and you got places that smell too! :blink:

Hmmmm, you notice a common theme here?

Every state + avroair in the vicinity = smells

Haha. You gots me. Still thinking of a clever come back...

(won't be going to Bozo no more, sister got transferred this April to SF).

43 attendees

My late Aunt Lil, was a native of "Joisey". According to her, she was pretty much an average/typical Joisey Girl.

This evidently included the belief that everyone that lived West of NYC wore cowboy hats and boots, rode horses, herded cattle, and ran around with six-shooters and Winchesters at all times. Presumably, people out West also either lived in sod huts, or teepees, depending on who they were.

I mention this, because I grew up in the Midwest. Kansas to be exact.

When I was 15, she came out with my Uncle Jack to meet the family. In the 37 years since, I have never seen such a look of crestfallen disappointment as she had when she got off the airplane in Wichita.

Now, maybe I'm being silly, but the fact that we had a fairly large airport should have tipped her off. But nooooo. She was crushed that we had cars and trucks, and didn't run around shooting each other. She was a bit put off that most of us didn't wear any sort of hat. Lil was thouroughly stunned that we even had electricity, running water, and INDOOR TOILETS!!

We wuz civilized, for cryin' out loud!!!

So, the first thing she did?

She went shopping at Harry Shepler's, and bought a hot-pink, hat to boot outfit. It was trimmed in white and rhinestones.

We nearly peed, we laughed so hard.

When she died, 30+ years later, she still had that gawd-awful outfit.

55 saves lives. That's my guess.

Interesting tidbit... Lou Costello (of Abbott & Costello) is from the hometown of Paterson, New Jersey. There is a statue of him nearby, on Cianci Street, at Costello Park, at Cianci and Ellison Sts., only a couple of blocks from the Great Falls. <Courtesy of Roadside America's website, Roadside America Lou Costello Statue) >

Rumor also has it that the Edison Museum is kinda spooky. :blink:

Oh, and here's the numbers picked so far.... 35, 39, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 74.5, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 82, 83, 84, 87, 88, 89, 93, 102.

I'll be optimistic and say 99 people.

Famous people from New Jersey:

Bud Abbott comedian, Asbury Park

Charles Addams cartoonist, Westfield

Edwin Aldrin astronaut, Montclair

William Count Basie band leader, Red Bank

Joan Bennett actress, Palisades

Judy Blume author, Elizabeth

Jon Bon Jovi musician, Sayreville

William J. Brennan jurist, Newark

Aaron Burr political leader, Newark

Lloyd H. Conover inventor, Orange

James Fenimore Cooper author, Burlington

David Copperfield magician, Metuchen

Lou Costello comedian, Paterson

Stephen Crane writer, Newark

Helen Gahagan Douglas representative, Boonton

Allen Ginsberg poet, Newark

Savron Glover choreographer, Newark

William Frederick Halsey, Jr. admiral, Elizabeth

Lauryn Hill rapper, South Orange

Donald Fletcher Holmes inventor, Woodbury

Whitney Houston entertainer, Newark

Ice-T rapper, Newark

Alfred Joyce Kilmer poet, New Brunswick

Alfred C. Kinsey zoologist, Hoboken

Ernie Kovacs comedian, Trenton

Dorothea Lange photographer, Hoboken

Jerry Lewis comedian, film director, Newark

Anne Morrow Lindbergh author, Englewood

Norman Mailer author, Long Branch

James W. Marshall discovered gold in California, Hunterdon

Patricia McBride ballerina, Teanick

Eger V. Murphree inventor, Bayonne

Jack Nicholson actor, Neptune City

Dorothy Parker author, West Bend

Zebulon Mongomery Pike explorer, soldier, Lamberton

Joe Piscopo comedian, actor, Passaic

Paul Robeson singer, actor, Princeton

Edward J. Rosinski inventor, Gloucester County

Philip Milton Roth author, Newark

Ruth St. Denis dancer, choreographer, Newark

Antonin Scalia jurist,Trenton

Norman Schwarzkopf army general, Trenton

Frank Sinatra singer, actor, Hoboken

Kevin Spacey actor, South Orange

Bruce Springsteen musician, Freehold

Amos Alonzo Stagg football coach, West Orange

Alfred Stieglitz photographer, Hoboken

Meryl Streep actress, Summit

Albert Payson Terhune journalist, author, Newark

Dave Thomas restaurateur, Atlantic City

William Henry Vanderbilt financier, New Brunswick

Sarah Vaughan singer, Newark

Dionne Warwick actress, singer, East Orange

William Carlos Williams physician, poet, Rutherford

Ray Liotta actor, Newark

Edmund Wilson literary critic, author, Red Bank

I'm guessing 59 people will show up (cuz they don't want a contract put out on them for holding out)

Geographic center: Located in Mercer County, 5 mi. SE of Trenton

In 1762 the first drive through window was established at Seven Stars Tavern in Salem County

Richard M. Hollingshead on June 6, 1933 opened the first drive in theatre on Crescent Boulevard, Pennsauken Township. Today, New Jersey is just one of 4 states that do not have at least 1 drive in theatre. Delaware, Alaska, & Rhode Island are the others.

images2.jpgimages3.jpgimages.jpg

Thanks for the cointest, and good luck with your event! Bawda bang ya'll (that's Southern for...oh well, you get the picture)! :P

Bada Bing! Had a blast at the event, we certainly packed the diner! And had 40 for the pre-event hike.

Well we had 89 people sign the log book, adding me that makes 90 (Mrs Avroair sadly did not attend). :D

Anyone pick that number or closest not going over. :)

Knew it would be a big turnout.... Dang close at 87 :) but no Bada Bing !!!!

Congrats to Geocachingdragon....... :)