Garmin Colorado FAQ and Issues List

Was caching at the MWGB this weekend with my 400t with the 2.6 software along with some friends that have a 300 with the 2.6 software. Trying to open the description page for four of caches caused our units to crash. We could use the units to find the cache and were able to log the cache as found. All the caches were by the same hider, who uses lots of graphics on his pages. I am assuming that it is related to the graphics, but am not really sure. The weird thing is we found a good number of other caches by the same hider, and no problems with those pages.

The problem caches were:

Tigger's Quest

The Dalmation Cache

Life Cover Series Cache #3

Mr. Incredible's Rock Garden Party

How did you download them? Send to GPS or PQ?

GO$Rs

PQs for both of us, but different PQs.

I used GSAK and the Colorado Macro (newest version) to put them on the unit. My friends either used GSAK without the macro or loaded the file directly onto the unit without GSAK.

We're the friends--we had the PQ and copied it directly into the folder. Very strange--we looked at the cache pages and couldn't find anything special about those caches that were different from Mr. I's other pages.

Was caching at the MWGB this weekend with my 400t with the 2.6 software along with some friends that have a 300 with the 2.6 software. Trying to open the description page for four of caches caused our units to crash. We could use the units to find the cache and were able to log the cache as found. All the caches were by the same hider, who uses lots of graphics on his pages. I am assuming that it is related to the graphics, but am not really sure. The weird thing is we found a good number of other caches by the same hider, and no problems with those pages.

The problem caches were:

Tigger's Quest

The Dalmation Cache

I know I found all of these prior to the upgrade since I live here in the Fort. I haven't had any issues on any of his caches yet, I have the 400t. I'll keep an eye out. He does have a 300 now himself so I'll let him know.

Our first guess was the pictures--but all of his cache pages have pictures, and we found a BUNCH of his caches this weekend without any problems. Apparently Garmin didn't want us to know anything about these few to make life a little more difficult

The problem caches were:

Tigger's Quest

The Dalmation Cache

I know I found all of these prior to the upgrade since I live here in the Fort. I haven't had any issues on any of his caches yet, I have the 400t. I'll keep an eye out. He does have a 300 now himself so I'll let him know.

Our first guess was the pictures--but all of his cache pages have pictures, and we found a BUNCH of his caches this weekend without any problems. Apparently Garmin didn't want us to know anything about these few to make life a little more difficult

I have a 60CSx and have been looking at the Colorados (particularly the 400t). In particular, I really like the paperless caching all in one unit. I have an iPhone 3G but haven't seen any apps for geocaching yet.

In reading reviews, some people are not happy with the Colorado units. Does the good outweight the bad ... or should I wait to purchase/replace?

I have a 60CSx and have been looking at the Colorados (particularly the 400t). In particular, I really like the paperless caching all in one unit. I have an iPhone 3G but haven't seen any apps for geocaching yet.

In reading reviews, some people are not happy with the Colorado units. Does the good outweight the bad ... or should I wait to purchase/replace?

You will get answers of about 50/50. Some will say they are happy and deal with the issues, the other half will say they are unhappy and you should wait. I am happy with the unit, no major issues except the drift which I have never seen but a friend has when we were out one time. We recycled the power on the unit and eveything was back to normal. I have seen but there is a lot of room for improvement and I believe garmin will come through and add more features and fix things.

I went backpacking this past weekend just North of Yellowstone National Park in the Madison Range. I have to say I was rather dissapointed with my Colorado's track log. My Track in and Track out of the wilderness (same trail) were VERY different. I noticed major drifting, and innacuracies on a consistant basis. A power cycle took care of the problem, but I don't want to have to baby-sit my GPS when I'm out there. I want to turn it on and expect consistant operation.

Seems as though if conditions are not optimal for reception (i.e. valleys, heavy timber, lots of rocks/talus) the Colorado has a tough time with figuring out where it is. Too bad, it was just such conditions where the 60CSX shined. Garmin seems to be sadly slipping backwards and it's making me angry to have paid such a steep price for "slickness" while foregoing functionality.

It's been almost 9 months now since it's release and for all the geocaching bugs and other problems that have been addressed with firmware updates, perhaps the most important aspect of a GPS, it's accuracy/consistancy, is still sub-par.

Edited by yogazoo
perhaps the most important aspect of a GPS, it's accuracy/consistancy, is still sub-par.

I've seen the 'drift' 3 times - once nearly 500' in error. However, I haven't seen it in quite some time - probably two months now.

But it's frustrating to know it's a possibility, as whenever I'm out geocaching, and don't immediately find the cache, that's the big question that pops up - what's my accuracy here?

So, while I would heartily recommend the Colorado for geocaching in most cases - I don't think I'd want to be on the hook for sending someone out where accuracy of position is potentially a matter of life and death using this unit.

Just one quick question... Does the Colorado really make Geocaching paperless???

It does a very good job at most aspects except recording data. If you frequently need to write things down (or record them in a PDA) it doesn't do a very good job at that. There is some rudimentary support to record simple notes as part of logging your finds, but from the perspective of eliminating cache page printouts it absolutely does live up to the paperless claim.

GO$Rs

Just one quick question... Does the Colorado really make Geocaching paperless???

It does a very good job at most aspects except recording data. If you frequently need to write things down (or record them in a PDA) it doesn't do a very good job at that. There is some rudimentary support to record simple notes as part of logging your finds, but from the perspective of eliminating cache page printouts it absolutely does live up to the paperless claim.

GO$Rs

I agree with g-o-cashers. However, you do need to watch out for caches that have important clues in images instead of text. It takes some handsprings (and pre-planning) to get the relevant images onto the Colorado. You don't automatically get them when downloading the .gpx file. And even if you transfer them manually, they may or may not be useful on the tiny Colorado screen. For example, we recently attempted a cache for which all the text was in an image which looked like an old-style typewritten page. Couldn't actually read it on the Colorado, so we ended up printing it out and carrying it along.

I just downloaded the POI Loader and when I try to use it with my Colorado 300 I get these errors:

There was an error communicating with device.....

followed by:

Some devices were found; however, none have the necessary capabilities........

I believe I have the latest firmware and software.

Anyone have a clue to the problem and a solution?

Use the advanced mode and choose the POI folder on the Colorado as the destination. It is a problem with the current POI Loader.

I just downloaded the POI Loader and when I try to use it with my Colorado 300 I get these errors:

There was an error communicating with device.....

followed by:

Some devices were found; however, none have the necessary capabilities........

I believe I have the latest firmware and software.

Anyone have a clue to the problem and a solution?

Use the advanced mode and choose the POI folder on the Colorado as the destination. It is a problem with the current POI Loader.

Thanks, that works as you say..

<rant on>

Twolpert,

Can you get that image on a 60csx?

Not to pick on you, but some of the complaints on the Colorado/Oregon series are really borderline trivial. No wonder people are scared off from them. My 400T is working just dandy, I've not run into an issue w/ reading information (paperless) and don't find the writing (paperless) any less onerous than on other gps devices. But come on people, aside from feature requests, or major technical glitches, the Colorado/Oregon series are pretty damned good and cutting edge devices that so far no other manufacturer has come close to duplicating.

If you've got a 60csx (the reference gps) and don't mind not having the notes embedded in the device, then by all means hold on for a while, the 500 or 600 Turbo will be out shortly no doubt. If you've got an older device and/or hate paper caching, search for the best price and grab yourself a Colorado/Oregon unit, check it out, return/replace if necessary, or use it and I think you'll enjoy it. I know I am.

There are very few things in life that are perfect. The first PCs sucked, the first cell phones were bricks, the first cars were slower than horses and most of today's cars don't support mp3 players - but they are/were all good solid performing solutions or they were repaired/replaced/returned and people moved on.

Time to move on people. Or go back to horse and buggy, and bring a compass along with you next time you go out for a cache.

<rant off>

I agree with g-o-cashers. However, you do need to watch out for caches that have important clues in images instead of text. It takes some handsprings (and pre-planning) to get the relevant images onto the Colorado. You don't automatically get them when downloading the .gpx file. And even if you transfer them manually, they may or may not be useful on the tiny Colorado screen. For example, we recently attempted a cache for which all the text was in an image which looked like an old-style typewritten page. Couldn't actually read it on the Colorado, so we ended up printing it out and carrying it along.

Sorry. I wasn't complaining. I was just pointing out a limitation by way of clarifying g-o-cashers response to the OP. Personally, I grew up on a III+ and am very happy with my Colorado. In fact, mine does not exhibit any of the major problems such as drift. (Don't know and don't care about the barometer.)

<rant on>

Twolpert,

Can you get that image on a 60csx?

Not to pick on you, but some of the complaints on the Colorado/Oregon series are really borderline trivial. No wonder people are scared off from them. My 400T is working just dandy, I've not run into an issue w/ reading information (paperless) and don't find the writing (paperless) any less onerous than on other gps devices. But come on people, aside from feature requests, or major technical glitches, the Colorado/Oregon series are pretty damned good and cutting edge devices that so far no other manufacturer has come close to duplicating.

If you've got a 60csx (the reference gps) and don't mind not having the notes embedded in the device, then by all means hold on for a while, the 500 or 600 Turbo will be out shortly no doubt. If you've got an older device and/or hate paper caching, search for the best price and grab yourself a Colorado/Oregon unit, check it out, return/replace if necessary, or use it and I think you'll enjoy it. I know I am.

There are very few things in life that are perfect. The first PCs sucked, the first cell phones were bricks, the first cars were slower than horses and most of today's cars don't support mp3 players - but they are/were all good solid performing solutions or they were repaired/replaced/returned and people moved on.

Time to move on people. Or go back to horse and buggy, and bring a compass along with you next time you go out for a cache.

<rant off>

My '94 Ford didn't advertise MP3 support, so I didn't complain when a CD loaded with MP3s wouldn't fit in my cassette tape drive. My '07 Wrangler made promises, however, and I will complain (and rightly so) if it ceases to function as advertised!

But come on people, aside from feature requests, or major technical glitches, the Colorado/Oregon series are pretty damned good and cutting edge devices that so far no other manufacturer has come close to duplicating.

I think you're forgetting that alot of people don't geocache all that often and use the exact features that don't work correctly or the features that have been dropped since the older units. Track management is one HUGE problem with the Colorado. Another is no waypoint averaging. Yet another is the barometer malfunctions and position drift, and on and on.

If you geocache sure, the paperless is slick and the Colorado would excel. If not, you've got a nice geocache unit but not much else. Since the Colorado unit was advertised as an "outdoors" unit, most people would think that Geocaching wouldn't be it's only strong point. As for hunters and hikers, well, I will steer people away from the Colorado and into a 76 or 60. (I work at a Sporting goods store.) Truth be told, we haven't sold many Colorado's or Oregons at all. But, then again, we're a Hunting/Outdoors store.

Edited by yogazoo

I actually think it's a great outdoor unit. I don't cache very much. The drift issue gets blown way out of proportion, I've only seen it once. The barometer works pretty darn well while the unit is turned on. Not letting Garmin off the hook, these DO need to be fixed, but it doesn't make it any less of an outdoor unit. Mine has been wet, no problem, dropped, no damage. And for all those people that don't geocache that often, what the hell do they need waypoint averaging for, anyways? Maybe that's why Garmin left it out, because it is a waste of their time since all of 20 customers want this feature? If you're using a consumer grade outdoor recreation GPS unit for data collection, that's your problem, buy a Trimble. "And on and on" what? What else can you come up with? These seem to be the only problems that apparently make the Colorado worthless to you, which is your opinion, and in mine, it's great.

Just have fun with your PN-40, I'm sure it's going to rock. I'm sure nobody, including yourself, will be on these forums complaining about any issues, because it's easy to launch a brand new product without any problems.

stumbled on a nice popup feature that the colorado veterans may be aware of already: mini compass.

choose a cache from the closest list and you get the basic description, difficulty cache size, etc, overlayed on a map. mine shows distance to, a red arrow, and time to. Now here's the part I didn't know about. push the rocker down (6am) once and a mini compass pops up w/ distance and time to destination. Kinda slick. Push rocker up (noon) and it goes back to the description, etc.

It doesn't appear to work with waypoints, just caches.

I actually think it's a great outdoor unit. I don't cache very much. The drift issue gets blown way out of proportion, I've only seen it once. The barometer works pretty darn well while the unit is turned on. Not letting Garmin off the hook, these DO need to be fixed, but it doesn't make it any less of an outdoor unit. Mine has been wet, no problem, dropped, no damage. And for all those people that don't geocache that often, what the hell do they need waypoint averaging for, anyways? Maybe that's why Garmin left it out, because it is a waste of their time since all of 20 customers want this feature? If you're using a consumer grade outdoor recreation GPS unit for data collection, that's your problem, buy a Trimble. "And on and on" what? What else can you come up with? These seem to be the only problems that apparently make the Colorado worthless to you, which is your opinion, and in mine, it's great.

Just have fun with your PN-40, I'm sure it's going to rock. I'm sure nobody, including yourself, will be on these forums complaining about any issues, because it's easy to launch a brand new product without any problems.

When a customer starts inquiring about the Colorado/Oregon/60/76 The first thing I do is hand them a printed copy of the comparison chart from g-o-cachers wiki. Reading the feature comparisons turns 99% of customers off to the Colorado/Oregons. But hey, it's not just our store, REI and Walmart recently slashed prices to reduce inventory since these units haven't been selling very well. Apparently there is something to this. People aren't finding these units very attractive for a reason. Maybe ALL of these people read the forums and believe what all of us "pessimists" have to say. Or maybe they are seeing for themselves what they will be sacraficing for that bigger screen and super-kewl rock-n-roller and basing their descision on that.

Buy a Trimble? I'm sure you're aware, that with a decent array in the sky, marking a waypoint AND averaging (for several minutes to hours depending on your needs) can get you close enough for GIS applications, about as close as a Trimble. Likewise I'm sure you're aware of the price difference and the fact that departments and projects have budgets.

The drifting IS a problem especially when you compare to the 60x series. Hiking in the mountains you just cant trust the Colorado's to lay a reliable track. Unless you live in Kansas and have a clear view of the sky 100% of the time. Challenge these units a little bit with some tree canopy and some deflection and you start drifting. Great in Kansas, terrible in Montana. 60CSX is rock solid in both. Not perfect, but solid.

About the Barometer. I had "auto calibrate" selected in the settings and my Colorado failed to auto calibrate all day. I eventually had to calibrate it myself. It should auto-calibrate to read the correct elevation every 15 minutes or so and it was 1000 feet off all day. Tell me the barometer functions work well.

I'm sure waypoint averaging was a total waste of time like you said. And your right, what reason would anyone have to average coordinates if they aren't out hiding geocaches? Actually you'll probably see waypoint averaging dissapear from all the newer units coming out from all the companies. Oh wait, no, it's just Garmin. :lol:

And on, and on

Edited by yogazoo

The drifting IS a problem especially when you compare to the 60x series. Hiking in the mountains you just cant trust the Colorado's to lay a reliable track. Unless you live in Kansas and have a clear view of the sky 100% of the time. Challenge these units a little bit with some tree canopy and some deflection and you start drifting. Great in Kansas, terrible in Montana. 60CSX is rock solid in both. Not perfect, but solid.

I'm sure waypoint averaging was a total waste of time like you said. And your right, what reason would anyone have to average coordinates if they arent out hiding geocaches? :lol:

I live in Kansas, right down the street from Garmin, and there are plenty of places that I cache that doesn't have a clear view of the sky :(

I live in Kansas, right down the street from Garmin, and there are plenty of places that I cache that doesn't have a clear view of the sky :lol:

I didn't know corn grew that tall, oh wait, that's Nebraska. :( And I'm sure you're aware that I was just making a point.

Hey, if you guys want to don the pom pom's and cheerlead for Garmin, have at it! Gimme a G!!

And hey, when Garmin addresses the problems with the Colorado's I'll be the first to give you a "G"

Edited by yogazoo

I live in Kansas, right down the street from Garmin, and there are plenty of places that I cache that doesn't have a clear view of the sky :lol:

I didn't know corn grew that tall, oh wait, that's Nebraska. :( And I'm sure you're aware that I was just making a point.

Hey, if you guys want to don the pom pom's and cheerlead for Garmin, have at it! Gimme a G!!

And hey, when Garmin addresses the problems with the Colorado's I'll be the first to give you a "G"

I was doing the same. I don't need hardcore off road navigation. I have a colorado, and a vista. My colorado has the same problems as everyone else. I will most likely be selling both and pick up a DeLorme PN-40 when it's out though.

Edited by BBH

100% in agreement. I'd add that the 76CSx is equally rock solid (since it's basically the same innards as the 60CSX, and also because I own one and love it).

And for all those people that don't geocache that often, what the hell do they need waypoint averaging for, anyways? Maybe that's why Garmin left it out, because it is a waste of their time since all of 20 customers want this feature?
I don't play Hide-n-Seek either and I find waypoint averaging to be very useful. Not for X & Y but for Z, altitude. You're probably aware that the altitude error is ~150% of the X-Y error. So averaging give even more bang for the buck than for position.

From my perspective, given that WA is only firmware, no extra hardware involved, it's silly for Garmin to have left it out. Let's face it, a GPS is as much toy as tool, you don't take features out of adult toys w/o a lot of flack. Perception IS reality.

At twice the price, the Oregon is by far a better investment than the Colorado.

There are more issues beside the "drift" problem. Waterproofing is a major issue.

The fact Garmin is offering a discount is a red flag.

Before you purchase a CO, read through ALL of the forums here. They are riddled with owners who had 3, 4 or 5 bad CO's before Garmin gave them an Oregon.

Save yourself some grief and go with the Oregon.

Thanks, but . . .

No eToy is ever an investment, however the 60CSx comes close. I have a Nuvi with the same resistive touchscreen as the OR and when I need to read a GPS in the field, I select my Venture Cx 99% of the time. I love the superior TS interface, just not that I can't see the display in the sun.

My current thinking is a $200 CO 300 this year and a $200 OR 300 next year or whatever.

Appreciate the comments. :unsure:

There are more issues beside the "drift" problem. Waterproofing is a major issue.

The fact Garmin is offering a discount is a red flag.

Before you purchase a CO, read through ALL of the forums here. They are riddled with owners who had 3, 4 or 5 bad CO's before Garmin gave them an Oregon.

Save yourself some grief and go with the Oregon.

I really don't see that an OR is that much better. I have a CO and it's rock solid. I wouldn't want the touch screen. It works great when it's clean, warm and calibrated. What do you do when it gets dirty? Cold? Every touch screen that I have been around acts real funky with dirt on it and when it's cold it's just a crap shoot as to wether it's going to work or not.

Some of the complaints about the CO are just for features that people want and Garmin hasn't put them on the CO.

No problems to report here as winter is setting in. I was using it last week when the temps were 12-15F. Heavy gloves and I didn't have any issues. I also used it in the pouring rain Monday and it worked fine. I too was skeptical about the touch screen but so far so good. The outer cover on the screen does scratch, I would recommend putting some sort of screen protector on it.

GO$Rs

If you can afford it, I'd go for the Oregon instead.
It's less about what I can afford and more about what I care to spend. The last five autos I've purchased, I've paid cash. While a GPS is a very useful tool it's also a toy in most senses.

In reading your CO and OR reviews and the supposed navigation deficiencies, one appears fixed and the other points to a fundamental difference in style, yours and mine.

One of the major reason's I've embraced GPS over paper, is having an entire state at 24K resolution has allowed me to avoid major preplanning on a PC. I've taken perhaps a dozen 1-4 day backpacks since I've gotten the GPS and 24K Topos, not laid down a single preplanned route or waypoint for any of those trips. I love the flexibility of just wandering.

That said, the lack of track customization is a negative. Even my eTrex allowed multiple line and color choices.

Thanks for your reply.

I went backpacking this past weekend just North of Yellowstone National Park in the Madison Range. I have to say I was rather dissapointed with my Colorado's track log. My Track in and Track out of the wilderness (same trail) were VERY different. I noticed major drifting, and innacuracies on a consistant basis. A power cycle took care of the problem, but I don't want to have to baby-sit my GPS when I'm out there. I want to turn it on and expect consistant operation.

Seems as though if conditions are not optimal for reception (i.e. valleys, heavy timber, lots of rocks/talus) the Colorado has a tough time with figuring out where it is. Too bad, it was just such conditions where the 60CSX shined. Garmin seems to be sadly slipping backwards and it's making me angry to have paid such a steep price for "slickness" while foregoing functionality.

It's been almost 9 months now since it's release and for all the geocaching bugs and other problems that have been addressed with firmware updates, perhaps the most important aspect of a GPS, it's accuracy/consistancy, is still sub-par.

I did a small hike out to me Geocache today in Michigan. Trail in a nature preserve fully wooded with most leaves down. Some pines green of course. I use the same trail that starts in my backyard to get to a intersection and looped back around to the same trail back home. I my etrex legend in hand horizontal and my colorado in had vertical. Compass turned off on the colorado and latest software release. Below is the track log. It appears although similar the Colorado did a much tighter pattern on the the same trail.

Image-A360553EBCD111DD.jpg

That angry rant about the drift was before the 2.8 update. Now the Colorado series seems alot more stable.

I really liked my Colorado as well but my kids and wife can't remove that darned stupid battery cover to change batteries. It even takes me quite a tug to get it off. I've tried to lube it up with silicone grease but it just made it worse. I begrudgingly traded mine in for an Oregon for this reason alone.

Edited by yogazoo
It appears although similar the Colorado did a much tighter pattern on the the same trail.

Image-A360553EBCD111DD.jpg

My take is that the CO was taking track readings twice as often as the Legend. If so that could account for the "tighter pattern".

Bottom line, if I was in the wilderness, either would get me home. :laughing:

Right I was actually impressed with how well they matched. Especially after everyone replacing their junk colorados. I have had the same one since I purchased and every software version I was pleased with the unit.

I did set tracks to take "more often" on both units.

It's post like yours that have me ready to pop for a CO 300 this week. $200 AR is just too tempting.

One learns to filter forum comments, nothing is either so good or so bad as some posters would have you believe.

Right, I have had mine since later February. Everytime I use it I am impressed. Some people complain about some of the paperless cache features. Well before the colorado garmin really didn't have paperless cache so to me it us a huge plus of the unit. Mine has been great on all accounts since I have owned it. If you do decide to purchase one and it does have an issue that what Garmin support is for. They still come with warranty.

Hi Can anyone help me!!! I got the Colorado for Christmas and have gone geocaching about 15 times and it seems my compass always points in the opposite direction of where the cache is cuz I see the numbers of feet going down to the cache but pointer is saying it it directly behind me. this is so frustrating, any others with this problem? I had a cheap etrex before this and it always worked fine. Thanks for any help.

Hi Can anyone help me!!! I got the Colorado for Christmas and have gone geocaching about 15 times and it seems my compass always points in the opposite direction of where the cache is cuz I see the numbers of feet going down to the cache but pointer is saying it it directly behind me. this is so frustrating, any others with this problem? I had a cheap etrex before this and it always worked fine. Thanks for any help.

Turn the compass off in the setup menu.

For it to work, it must be calibrated and held still and flat. All Garmin compasses have been like this (mostly useless).