Garmin Colorado FAQ and Issues List

Hi there. Many thanks to all you people that interested and answer all these questions to us.

I have also one .... :D

How can i have in my Colorado 300 more than 2 maps in my memory? :anicute:

Thank you in advance.

Mapsource gives you the ability to embed multiple map sets in a single map file. If you have multiple map sets installed on your computer you can do this:

- Open Mapsource

- In the upper left corner select the 1st map set from the drop down menu

- Select the map segments from that 1st map set you want to load

- Select a 2nd map set from the drop down menu

- Select the map segments from the 2nd map set you want to load

- Repeat for as many map sets you want to use.

- Download the maps to the Colorado.

GO$Rs

Hi there. Many thanks to all you people that interested and answer all these questions to us.

I have also one .... :D

How can i have in my Colorado 300 more than 2 maps in my memory? :anicute:

Thank you in advance.

Mapsource gives you the ability to embed multiple map sets in a single map file. If you have multiple map sets installed on your computer you can do this:

- Open Mapsource

- In the upper left corner select the 1st map set from the drop down menu

- Select the map segments from that 1st map set you want to load

- Select a 2nd map set from the drop down menu

- Select the map segments from the 2nd map set you want to load

- Repeat for as many map sets you want to use.

- Download the maps to the Colorado.

GO$Rs

Thanks Friend for the reply. I meant when i have img's how i 'll place more than one .... for example gmapprom.img + gmapsup2.img + gmapsupp.img together?

Can i place all these like in the PDA ?

Thank you in advance.

GO$Rs

You are missing some at your page.

GMAPOEM.IMG

Used by dealers to add custom shops etc to the GPS.

You can rename GMAPSUPP.IMG to oem and GPS still works.

GMAPPROM2.IMG used for secondary preinstalled maps, like Nüvi with CN US and EU.

Not sure if it works on Colorado.

GO$Rs

You are missing some at your page.

GMAPOEM.IMG

Used by dealers to add custom shops etc to the GPS.

You can rename GMAPSUPP.IMG to oem and GPS still works.

GMAPPROM2.IMG used for secondary preinstalled maps, like Nüvi with CN US and EU.

Not sure if it works on Colorado.

Anders,

I'm pretty sure I tested these a while ago but I just tried them again, both in internal memory and on the SD card, and I can't get any maps to load with these filenames.

Have you tried GMAPOEM.IMG on the Colorado to see that it works?

BTW, GarminDevice.xml only defines the ones which I reference which makes me think that this is the list supported by the Colorado:

- <DataType>
 <Name>BaseMaps</Name> 
- <File>
- <Specification>
 <Identifier>IMG</Identifier> 
 </Specification>
- <Location>
 <Path>Garmin</Path> 
 <BaseName>gmapbmap</BaseName>
 <FileExtension>img</FileExtension> 
 </Location>
 <TransferDirection>InputOutput</TransferDirection> 
 </File>
 </DataType>
- <DataType>
 <Name>PreProgrammedMaps</Name> 
- <File>
- <Specification>
 </Specification>
- <Location>
 <Path>Garmin</Path>
<BaseName>gmapprom</BaseName>
 </Location>
 </File>
 </DataType>
- <DataType>
 <Name>SupplementalMaps</Name> 
- <File>
- <Specification>
 </Specification>
- <Location>
 <Path>Garmin</Path> 
 <BaseName>gmapsupp</BaseName>
 </Location>
 </File>
 </DataType>

GO$Rs

I have also one .... :laughing:

How can i have in my Colorado 300 more than 2 maps in my memory? :laughing:

Thank you in advance.

Maps on Colorado 300.

The base map is something like gmapbamp.img Gotta have that.

Using MapSource I created a file from the Ibycus Canada source which was named (the default) gmapsupp.img and renamed it gmapprom.img (a Colorado supported filename).

Then I loaded the Ibycus USA maps and wrote a new file of gmapsupp.img.

So now I have US & CA street maps of the areas I want.

You can have many maps in one gmapsupp.img file in internal memory, next set on gmapsupp.img on SD card, next set in gmapprom.img. If you don't need base map, you can use gmapbmap.img.

Creating gmapsupp.img from many maps through Mapsouce takes time.

Best way is to create (using MapSource) single gmapsupp.img file from each single map, rename it ( CNE, Euro 2, Greece, My neighbourhood, my lake ..) with .img of course.

Next - using gmaptool it is possible to join all .img files in one gmapsupp.img file in seconds. It works from command line.

Similar procedure offers Mapwel - where you can use "File > merge IMG files" command. It works from Windows level.

So it is possible to keep different maps, each in separate .img file, and join them according to your needs.

If you keep frequently used maps in internal memory (gmapsupp.img, gmapprom.img), you can create another composition in seconds on SD card ( in next gmapsupp.img file).

gmaptool : http://www.anpo.republika.pl/download.html#gmaptool

Mapwell : http://www.mapwel.biz/down.htm

Christopher

Edited by sokolo0

I'm not sure if this is typical of the Garmin line, so perhaps it's the same as the 60 series and not a bug. I uploaded a track, set it to display on the unit, and when I power cycled, it was turned off again. I would've expected it to remain displayed until I chose to turn it off.

On the same topic, while it is mentioned in the issues list, why in the world is the show track option under 'where to?' ?!?

I didn't notice this thread until after I started a new one about a specific issue with the Colorado. (So apologies for duplication).

There doesn't appear to be a way to change the data fields when navigating to a geocache. If I select "full screen map" it stops navigation. If I select the geocache and then press DOWN twice (to go fullscreen), the data fields are "distance to dest" and "time to dest" but there doesn't appear to be any way to change them.

I'm on 2.50 at the moment (that's what it came with). Does 2.51 resolve either of the above issues so that I can pick the data fields? (I typically like to see distance and accuracy).

I'm not sure if this is typical of the Garmin line, so perhaps it's the same as the 60 series and not a bug. I uploaded a track, set it to display on the unit, and when I power cycled, it was turned off again. I would've expected it to remain displayed until I chose to turn it off.

I've noticed this on the CO as well. The 60csx does seem to remember.

On the same topic, while it is mentioned in the issues list, why in the world is the show track option under 'where to?' ?!?

Yeah, pretty poor design especially when you compare to the Track application in the 60csx.

GO$Rs

There doesn't appear to be a way to change the data fields when navigating to a geocache. If I select "full screen map" it stops navigation. If I select the geocache and then press DOWN twice (to go fullscreen), the data fields are "distance to dest" and "time to dest" but there doesn't appear to be any way to change them.

I've never experimented with this, but one thing you might try is changing the map data fields in the geocaching profile. The unit seems to switch back and forth between profiles when you choose to navigate to a geocache (no matter what profile you were in when you chose to do that). While it's possible that the fields on the geocaching screens and their variations are fixed in the code, it's also possible that at least some of them are coming from the geocaching profile. Just a thought.

I've never experimented with this, but one thing you might try is changing the map data fields in the geocaching profile. The unit seems to switch back and forth between profiles when you choose to navigate to a geocache (no matter what profile you were in when you chose to do that). While it's possible that the fields on the geocaching screens and their variations are fixed in the code, it's also possible that at least some of them are coming from the geocaching profile. Just a thought.

I was already using the geocaching profile, which I had set to Accuracy and Distance To Next.

2.51 has fixed the issue for me. I can now select "Full Screen Map" and it doesn't stop navigating. It now also shows a route to a geocache via roads (using City Navigator maps), which it refused to do before.

Just got my Colorado a couple of days ago, and have noticed an issue with it, that I haven't read about here yet. The rock n roller wheel doesn't seem to want to work correctly at times. It will randomly scroll (up and/or down) several "clicks" when I turn the wheel one "click." Sometimes I'm not even touching the wheel and it pulls a Linda Blair on me and scrolls up and down on its own.

This doesn't happen when I pop the wheel out, but when I put it back, it takes off again. Would this be a problem with the magnet in the wheel itself, or something in the unit?

~PhilAun

Just got my Colorado a couple of days ago, and have noticed an issue with it, that I haven't read about here yet. The rock n roller wheel doesn't seem to want to work correctly at times. It will randomly scroll (up and/or down) several "clicks" when I turn the wheel one "click." Sometimes I'm not even touching the wheel and it pulls a Linda Blair on me and scrolls up and down on its own.

This doesn't happen when I pop the wheel out, but when I put it back, it takes off again. Would this be a problem with the magnet in the wheel itself, or something in the unit?

~PhilAun

Maybe a defective unit. I just got mine two weeks ago and mine doesn't do that.

Storm180

I've heard of similar problems with the RnR but usually popping it out and back in resolves the issue. Can you see any obvious damage to the RnR or the little magnet on the end of it? I would inspect/clean the area out but if you don't seen any improvement I would talk to Garmin about a replacement. At one point they were promising to make the roller into a separate part number, it might be worth seeing if you can get a new roller before you return the entire thing.

GO$Rs

I've heard of similar problems with the RnR but usually popping it out and back in resolves the issue. Can you see any obvious damage to the RnR or the little magnet on the end of it? I would inspect/clean the area out but if you don't seen any improvement I would talk to Garmin about a replacement. At one point they were promising to make the roller into a separate part number, it might be worth seeing if you can get a new roller before you return the entire thing.

GO$Rs

I had a problem with the magnet!

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...rado&st=550

Post #579

img0900aer7.jpg

Issue: Deleting Waypoints associated with a Route.

Is there a simple way of deleting a Route and the Waypoints associated with that Route at the same time. I had assumed when I deleted the Route the Waypoints would have also been deleted. Unfortunately, I had to go in and manual delete each and every Waypoint along that Route (and the wheel wouldn't let me go backwards in the Waypoint list from the start - which would have simplified things at least a little). I can understand why they would not automatically delete them, but it'd been a lot nicer if when I deleted the Route it had given me the option of 'delete Waypoints along Route' (or it could have simply asked the question "Do you want the Waypoints deleted ?").

I am new to Geocaching and recently got the Colorado 400t. After some investigating, I've updated to the latest software (2.51) but even after doing so I notice that this unit shows my location being 370 feet off of my actual location on the map! Is this what I can expect from this unit?

I am new to Geocaching and recently got the Colorado 400t. After some investigating, I've updated to the latest software (2.51) but even after doing so I notice that this unit shows my location being 370 feet off of my actual location on the map! Is this what I can expect from this unit?

You'll find that the location that the unit is giving you is probably very accurate -- the issue is the with the accuracy of the roads on the Topo maps that are included on the 400t. It is a well documented issue which many people have complained to Garmin about and the standard response is that Topo maps are for hiking and outdoor use, roads are only there for a reference, if you want accurate road maps buy City Navigator.

Note that other data (i.e. locations of water bodies and physical features) in the Topo maps does tend to be more accurate.

GO$Rs

I'm not sure if this problem has been mentioned already. On certain caches I'm having the Colorado do this to me:

GCJH5K.jpg

Most caches display fine. It only seems to affect the first page of the description, but it's really annoying to be confronted by that out in the field.

Other examples (other than GCJH5K shown above) include GC12VQV, GC12VRA, GC12VT3 and GC12VRY. Those last 4 are all by the same person, so perhaps it's something to do with the HTML they've used in the cache description.

2.51 beta.

Edited by Crid

While we're on the subject of issues (time for a whinge - sorry), who on earth came up with the colour scheme for the satellite page and also decided not to let the user change the colours? Dark bars on a darker background really isn't terribly useful without using up battery power on the backlight. I can see the white "acquiring" bars just fine against the dark background, but I'd rather be able to see what satellites are currently acquired.

</rant>

I'm not sure if this problem has been mentioned already.

MANY times.

On certain caches I'm having the Colorado do this to me:

GCJH5K.jpg

Most caches display fine. It only seems to affect the first page of the description, but it's really annoying to be confronted by that out in the field.

Other examples (other than GCJH5K shown above) include GC12VQV, GC12VRA, GC12VT3 and GC12VRY. Those last 4 are all by the same person, so perhaps it's something to do with the HTML they've used in the cache description.

2.51 beta.

See the Garmin Colorado GPS Wiki. and search for "A gpx file from for geocache GCTXEX" in the "Issues List"

I know how to project a waypoint with my 400t. My prior GPS would let me take 2 waypoints and project them and navigate to the intersecting point of the to paths. Is this a possibility with the Colorado?

Standing @ a point, then projecting two separate points, you are AT the intersection of the two paths!?!?

I think you're meaning is 'show the route to the closest point on a route between those two projected

points'?

Can't answer definitively, but at this stage in the COs life I'm guessing not.

Norm

Standing @ a point, then projecting two separate points, you are AT the intersection of the two paths!?!?

I think you're meaning is 'show the route to the closest point on a route between those two projected

points'?

Norm

I'm guessing he means doing 2 Sight'n'Go readings from different places on the same target and then plotting where the target is from that.

points'?

Norm

I'm guessing he means doing 2 Sight'n'Go readings from different places on the same target and then plotting where the target is from that.

Basically yes. You have two starting waypoints and you are trying to find a final location. One example of a cache I did previously is GCTEVK. Was wanting to set something up similiar to this but, didn't want to have to dust off the Magellan :angry: .

Issue: Deleting Waypoints associated with a Route.

Is there a simple way of deleting a Route and the Waypoints associated with that Route at the same time. I had assumed when I deleted the Route the Waypoints would have also been deleted. Unfortunately, I had to go in and manual delete each and every Waypoint along that Route (and the wheel wouldn't let me go backwards in the Waypoint list from the start - which would have simplified things at least a little). I can understand why they would not automatically delete them, but it'd been a lot nicer if when I deleted the Route it had given me the option of 'delete Waypoints along Route' (or it could have simply asked the question "Do you want the Waypoints deleted ?").

f.w.i.w. Apparently the Colorado will let you do this, since I stumbled upon it after manually deleting about 40 waypoints one-by-one. For anyone else who may need to do it; go to Others/Route Planner and select the route, then Options and Remove All.

Somewhere in this thread I have read about problems with the 400t locking up or just generaly acting stupid once you get near a cache. Kind of like it was trying to process too much information.

Mine was also doing this right out of the box running 2.50 and set to geocaching mode.

I upgraded to Beta 2.51 and it didn't help at all. Yesterday it was driving me crazy. I would have to shut it off before hunting each cache.

I finaly did a hard (?) reset by holding down both of the side buttons and powering it up.

By doing this it returns to the recreational profile. Today I just left it there and accessed the caches by going shortcuts>other>geocaches.

It behaved much better today.

I'm wondering if when in the geocaching mode there is something different in what or how it processes everthing that makes it lock up.

xshooter

This statement probably won't make me too popular with those of you who are having difficulties, but I wanted to thank all of you for clearing up the issue with respects to the maps being off due to the difference of map types. I recieved my 400t as a father's day gift. I'm extremely happy to report that the 400t has been performing better than I expected.

I do however, really appreciate all the comments and discussion here as I find it very helpful.

Thanks again! :angry:

Was there any official update to the backlight setting not saving when you power down? The wiki claims the backlight will go back to where you set it if you push the power button twice, but all that does is takes you to the setting page and then back to your current app.

It's really annoying, every time I power up I have to increase it, because the default setting is a joke.

There has been no fix as of 2.51 that remembers the backlight settings across a power cycle. Hitting the power button will bring you to the page where you can adjust the backlight setting. While you are powered on the Colorado does remember your previous setting, but as soon as you power off this information is lost.

GO$Rs

Somewhere in this thread I have read about problems with the 400t locking up or just generaly acting stupid once you get near a cache. Kind of like it was trying to process too much information.

Mine was also doing this right out of the box running 2.50 and set to geocaching mode.

I upgraded to Beta 2.51 and it didn't help at all. Yesterday it was driving me crazy. I would have to shut it off before hunting each cache.

I finaly did a hard (?) reset by holding down both of the side buttons and powering it up.

By doing this it returns to the recreational profile. Today I just left it there and accessed the caches by going shortcuts>other>geocaches.

I'm wondering if when in the geocaching mode there is something different in what or how it processes everthing that makes it lock up.

xshooter

Check you compass settings. Having the compass enabled and not holding the unit horizontal on not having the compass calibrated is the most common source of this type of problem. Check out C7 here.

Hey all! About to invest in a 300, and considering there are now 21 pages of convoluted replies in this thread that i don't understand :P , i thought i'd just ask a few questions here.

1. Have the issues i have been reading about in relation to the inaccuracy of the colorado been fixed? I heard it can wander up to 50m from your actual location?? how does that go if i'm trying to place a cache.

2. Are most of the issues such as backlight settings, inaccuracy, and other usability features likely to be ironed out in updates in the coming months?

3. All in all, is the 300 a good unit, or would i be better off going with previous garmins such as the 60?

Thanks very much in advance! Shucked :laughing:

Edited by shucked

There has been no fix as of 2.51 that remembers the backlight settings across a power cycle. Hitting the power button will bring you to the page where you can adjust the backlight setting. While you are powered on the Colorado does remember your previous setting, but as soon as you power off this information is lost.

GO$Rs

I have just been introduced recently to the wonderful world of geocaching and have been researching GPS units. I thought I had settled upon the Garmin 400t after reading about the Triton woes but after reading all the information contained in this thread I am really confused. :P

I have never had a GPS unit and the 400t was to be my first unit. I like to hike, fish, and geocache. I was also thinking of using the hand held for road trips if need be. Have the majority of problems I read about throughout this thread been addressed and fixed or should I be looking at another unit ? If you feel another unit is worth a look could you recommend one before I buy?

GO$Rs

I have just been introduced recently to the wonderful world of geocaching and have been researching GPS units. I thought I had settled upon the Garmin 400t after reading about the Triton woes but after reading all the information contained in this thread I am really confused. :P

I have never had a GPS unit and the 400t was to be my first unit. I like to hike, fish, and geocache. I was also thinking of using the hand held for road trips if need be. Have the majority of problems I read about throughout this thread been addressed and fixed or should I be looking at another unit ? If you feel another unit is worth a look could you recommend one before I buy?

Personally, for the 1st time GPSr buyer, I would recommend the Garmin 60CSx over the Colorado. The 60CSx has some features that the Colorado does not have, and vice versa, but the 60CSx is tried and true, and the Colorado is still not completely where it needs to be. I have one of each and I am hoping that the Colorado will eventually incorporate all the features of the 60CSx plus keep its unique features so that I don't feel like I need to have both...

1. Have the issues i have been reading about in relation to the inaccuracy of the colorado been fixed? I heard it can wander up to 50m from your actual location?? how does that go if i'm trying to place a cache.

As of Software 2.51, GPS Software 2.6 it has not been fixed. It has happened to me many times while out caching. Most of the time I notice it (GPS accuracy creeps above 30') so I can power cycle. It has also caused me 2 DNFs.

2. Are most of the issues such as backlight settings, inaccuracy, and other usability features likely to be ironed out in updates in the coming months?

Only Garmin knows that and they aren't very forthcoming about what will get fixed and when.

3. All in all, is the 300 a good unit, or would i be better off going with previous garmins such as the 60?

Take a look at the Wiki linked in my signature, there is a 60csx comparison page and you can decide what is important to you and what isn't. There is also a list of Colorado current issues in the Issue List.

GO$Rs

xshooter

Check you compass settings. Having the compass enabled and not holding the unit horizontal on not having the compass calibrated is the most common source of this type of problem. Check out C7 here.

Compass is calibrated, enabled, and held horizontal.

Just seems to work better in the rec mode.

I have read through all that you have put on wikispaces. GREAT WORK!!!! Garmin should have you write the manual, theirs is junk.

xshooter

I have been pretty much immune from the position error thing until today that is. Having done about 750 caches with the Colorado I had my first off position thing happen a week ago. Then today it happened four times in the span of 2 hours. It's too bad Garmin has not felt the need to communicate anything to the folks who have the units let alone those who have had them for months and put them through their paces.

There's a lot I like about the Colorado, but more and more you get the feeling that maybe just maybe all the problems will not be solved.

Here's hoping we get some word from Garmin or at least another upgrade to address some of the stuff that is going on.

I have both a 60CSx and a Colorado 300. If you don't care about being able to use the Wherigo player, I'd stick with the 60 Series. I haven't had many issues with the CO being inaccurate, but it does have enough bugs to make me a bit leery of telling someone to go buy one.