Garmin Colorado FAQ and Issues List

I think this is a really bad idea. Why would you remove the safeguard that keeps you from accidentally deleting files? It's too easy to hit cmd-shift-delete and then return to completely empty the trash while in the finder. It can't be nearly as great a burden as it would when you accidentally delete files without any confirmation dialog. <_<

I agree, we shouldn't need to try to bypass the OS's normal operation regarding the trash. If it hasn't made it to the issues list, there should be an issue: Ignore (GPX, etc.) files placed in the Macintosh OSX Trash.

If it hasn't made it to the issues list, there should be an issue: Ignore (GPX, etc.) files placed in the Macintosh OSX Trash.

There is. I guess my incorrect assumption was, as was the author's of the original suggestion, that anything you put on the SD card or the Colorado's internal memory was backed up or it was easy to recreate (ie. from GSAK or mapsource).

BTW, I don't have Mac to test this but I think you'll still get prompted before you delete.

GO$Rs

I was trying to view a waypoint in the waypoint manager to see what the coordinates were. It's not possible to do this. You have to go to the map, slew the map over to the waypoint icon, then click on the waypoint to see the coordinates. The coordinates should be viewable (not just editable) in the waypoint manager.

I was trying to view a waypoint in the waypoint manager to see what the coordinates were. It's not possible to do this. You have to go to the map, slew the map over to the waypoint icon, then click on the waypoint to see the coordinates. The coordinates should be viewable (not just editable) in the waypoint manager.

Just select a waypoint in the list (middle RnR button) and select Change Location, you'll see the coordinates. The other option is to goto WhereTo?->Waypoints and select the waypoint from there. You'll see the coordinates immediately. Other than to delete all waypoints I hardly ever use the Waypoint Manager.

GO$Rs

Testing the Batteries on The Colorado 300

2 x Energizer AA - rechargeable 2500mAh

Test 1-With WAAS activated...........8:50 hours

Test 2-With WAAS activated...........9:45 hours

Test 3-Without WAAS activated....11:45 hours

Are you actually using it, or just letting it sit there? Does it have a decent view of the satellites or not? Are these batteries new?

I'm getting consistently 13-14 hours on 2650 mA-h batteries with normal use while Geocaching.

Are you actually using it, or just letting it sit there? Does it have a decent view of the satellites or not? Are these batteries new?

I'm getting consistently 13-14 hours on 2650 mA-h batteries with normal use while Geocaching.

When I put the batteries in at 7 am this morning [fully charged] I drove for some hours and then left the unit live in my home office [no access to direct light/satellites] and it went to 'red' at 18:45 tonight.

The backlight is on 'full' all the time.

New batteries, only charged twice so far.

Accuracy 16feet in the office!

I'm using the same batteries in both the 60CSX [7:55 hours] and the Colorado [11:45] and they are used side by side.

I use the Colorado 'trip computer' to record the battery usage and started using screenshot to keep a record.

I am in another test now - 4 hours into it - travelled 23 feet while it is lying on my desk - 3 bars of battery showing.

Edited by strumble

The Garmin colorado is advertised as:

Equipped with all features of the successful and popular GPSMap 60CSX

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=188092

Therefore it's ok that people are looking for the same features.

Then people should go to Globetrotter.de and demand that THEY sell them such a unit. I don't believe that Garmin is making that claim.

Edited by nicolo

Those Energizer's are at best dogs, according to the digital camera forums. If you want to see what a good AA can do get some Maha Powerex's and charge them with a Maha charger.

I took a 4-day backpack in Sept., had but one pair of Powerex 2700's in my Venture Cx, they lasted the entire trip and the GPS was on whenever I was hiking, plus lots of backlit map reading.

Try this:

1) Run the gps for 4 hours.

2) Take notee of battery meter.

3) Turn it off.

4) Turn it on.

5) Take not of battery meter.

My unit would either not turn back on (after only 2 hours) or if it did turn back on, the battery meter would be low and I would lose backlight functionality even if I turned off backlight limiting (on version 2.4).

Either my unit was bad or the Colorado does a poor job of interpreting the health of partially charged batteries when turning on.

Edited by fourbeer

Those Energizer's are at best dogs, according to the digital camera forums. If you want to see what a good AA can do get some Maha Powerex's and charge them with a Maha charger.

I took a 4-day backpack in Sept., had but one pair of Powerex 2700's in my Venture Cx, they lasted the entire trip and the GPS was on whenever I was hiking, plus lots of backlit map reading.

Dang! I was just checking out the website for the Maha stuff. The only problem is the variety of different chargers - I don't know what to choose.......

Just a followup to my Garmin 400t bought in mid Jan with serial #18Z000364 which was having time issues periodically losing time where alarm clock would not go off at right time... which Garmin said was indeed wrong. And after a few hours of being off, after being turned on, time would show the previous time turned off before it got a sat lock. This behavior was said by Garmin to be "normal"

Well in working with Garmin tech support a few weeks with the time/alarm issue, after a hard reset which they told me to do, the original topo 2008 map in internal memory would not show... Garmin even checked all the files in an online live connect session. So, they sent me a new unit which I have been using for the last 4 days.

The unit is in the 18Z005xxx numbers, and has 4GB internal memory. Low and behold, the clock is working flawlessly... in fact, even after being turned off for a day and turnedon the next, the time is immediately "correct" even before sat lock... which would make the previous statement of Garmin about "normal" behavior not accurate... at least in the case of my current unit.

Both units needed are were upgraded to the new 2.4 firmware/software. The old unit had to be upgraded to the newer GPS 2.6 software, but the new unit came with the GPS 2.6 software.

Just passing this along for any of those with the early units that are still experiencing any "clock" issues.

Edited by pasayten_pete

Just a followup to my Garmin 400t bought in mid Jan with serial #18Z000364 which was having time issues periodically losing time where alarm clock would not go off at right time... which Garmin said was indeed wrong. And after a few hours of being off, after being turned on, time would show the previous time turned off before it got a sat lock. This behavior was said by Garmin to be "normal"

Well in working with Garmin tech support a few weeks with the time/alarm issue, after a hard reset which they told me to do, the original topo 2008 map in internal memory would not show... Garmin even checked all the files in an online live connect session. So, they sent me a new unit which I have been using for the last 4 days.

The unit is in the 18Z005xxx numbers, and has 4GB internal memory. Low and behold, the clock is working flawlessly... in fact, even after being turned off for a day and turnedon the next, the time is immediately "correct" even before sat lock... which would make the previous statement of Garmin about "normal" behavior not accurate... at least in the case of my current unit.

Both units needed are were upgraded to the new 2.4 firmware/software. The old unit had to be upgraded to the newer GPS 2.6 software, but the new unit came with the GPS 2.6 software.

Just passing this along for any of those with the early units that are still experiencing any "clock" issues.

What? They gave you a new unit? They have been telling me for a week now that there are no units available. Hmmm. I don't think they are telling me the truth.....

Edited by fourbeer

Hello all.

I am pretty much new to this forum. I am using the Colorado 300 unit with latest 2.40 FW. I just realized that when I use the "SEND TO GPS" option from geocaching.com, the details option for particular geocache displays the text including html tags visible. When I check the hint details or last 5 logs, the text is formatted correctly and tags are not visible. Can someone duplicate this, please?

Thanks a lot.

Cheers,

Filip

Certain caches which have a lot of html formatting seem to come across this way when using Send To GPS. Communicator does something to these caches to make them display as raw html on the Colorado. If you download caches with less html formatting you won't see the tags.

Currently this is better than not having the description available at all or having the Colorado choke on the description which it seems to do with many caches that have embedded html tables.

GO$Rs

Certain caches which have a lot of html formatting seem to come across this way when using Send To GPS. Communicator does something to these caches to make them display as raw html on the Colorado. If you download caches with less html formatting you won't see the tags.

Currently this is better than not having the description available at all or having the Colorado choke on the description which it seems to do with many caches that have embedded html tables.

GO$Rs

Thanks g-o-cashers.

When I manually download the GPX eXchange file to the GPX folder on Colorado (not using the Send To GPS button), the html tags are hidden and everything is ok. So somehow Communicator is the tool to blame... :-(

Thanks anyway,

Filip

A observation from my cache run today: I had 4 caches that the Colorado would not let me navigate to (description was fine but the arrow would not come up). So I manually create waypoints with the same coordinates as a workaround... When I got home I played around a bit and found a solution that might be of interest for anyone else that had the same issue:

When exporting from GSAK to the Colorado make sure 'Include GSAK extra fields in export' is not checked.

I've also seen this problem and I'm sure that the "Include GSAK extra fields" checkbox wasn't checked when I did the export...

The problem seems to appear after a while. First I was able to navigate to a cache but after a few hours I couldn't see the arrow when trying to navigare to the very same cache.

Also the problem seems so become worse the longer you use the GPS. At first there were only a few caches that was "broken" but some hours later I was unable to navigare to almost every cache...

The quick'n'dirty solutions seems to be to connect the GPS to a computer and delete the temporary files...

I deleted "Temp", "Current" and "Archive" in \Garmin\GPX and renamed the GPX file that came from GSAK. Then all caches worked again...

Regards

B1N4RY

A observation from my cache run today: I had 4 caches that the Colorado would not let me navigate to (description was fine but the arrow would not come up). So I manually create waypoints with the same coordinates as a workaround... When I got home I played around a bit and found a solution that might be of interest for anyone else that had the same issue:

When exporting from GSAK to the Colorado make sure 'Include GSAK extra fields in export' is not checked.

I've also seen this problem and I'm sure that the "Include GSAK extra fields" checkbox wasn't checked when I did the export...

The problem seems to appear after a while. First I was able to navigate to a cache but after a few hours I couldn't see the arrow when trying to navigare to the very same cache.

Also the problem seems so become worse the longer you use the GPS. At first there were only a few caches that was "broken" but some hours later I was unable to navigare to almost every cache...

The quick'n'dirty solutions seems to be to connect the GPS to a computer and delete the temporary files...

I deleted "Temp", "Current" and "Archive" in \Garmin\GPX and renamed the GPX file that came from GSAK. Then all caches worked again...

Regards

B1N4RY

I had exactly the same issues when trying to route to caches over the weekend. When I deleted the PQ on the 400t and sent it again, it worked perfectly, at least for the time being.

Anniebananie

Regards

B1N4RY

What works for me is to reset the unit turning it off and then holding the two soft buttons on the front of the unit while turning it back on again. Then choose "yes" when asked if you want to delete all user data. This will reset the unit and the problem seems to go away. You need to choose language and time zone again, and I usually need to change the profile back to Geocaching. But the gpx files are not affected except that the Colorado will now route to the caches...

Some POI issues for the issue-list:

- POI category names should be able to contain more than the current 14 characters. A 60CSx supports more than 17 characters for example.

- It is possible to have multiple categories that contain sub categories itself.

----> In the search dialog it is only possible to search in a category but not in a sub category. This is common behaviour on most units, but should be enhanced, if possible. For example: In the category "Fast food", it would be nice to search for only the sub category "McDonalds" instead of having all the other Restaurants on the search dialog.

-The POI-description is not visible (already in the issue-list, I guess).

Stefan

My compass stoped working. anyone know what i need to do? what steps do I need to take to reset my unit?

First of all, check the settings:

Setup/Heading/Compass

If the compass is set to "OFF", select "AUTO" and the compass will start working.

After this, you have to calibrate the compass.

Stefan

According to what I have read, the magnetic compass only comes on when your speed is less than 1.5 MPH. The unit gets its direction from the GPS signal at higher speeds.

You have to calibrate the compass in the environment you will use it in. If you calibrate with ferrous metals around then use it elsewhere, it will be off. Even jewelery, steel in a concrete path, etc... will throw it off if its calibrated with these items present and then used in another location.

I just keep mine turned off because for caching it seems to get confused easily.

Regards

B1N4RY

I had exactly the same issues when trying to route to caches over the weekend. When I deleted the PQ on the 400t and sent it again, it worked perfectly, at least for the time being.

Anniebananie

The same thing happens with GPX files sent in response to a pocket query. Maddening!

There is no red Arrow on compass. even at less than 1.5 miles an hour

What are you navigating to? Geocache, waypoint, POI, track? Are any of the data fields (ETA, distance to next, etc) on the compass page or map page displaying valid numbers? Do you have a goto line (pink) on the map page?

GO$Rs

I don't know if this has been brought up previously. It is a very long thread.

When I select a geocache in the geocache mode it brings up the map. There is a magenta colored line that goes from where I am to the cache location. If you leave it on this screen and make your way to the cache location the magenta line stays there connecting the point that you were at when you selected the geocache to the cache itself. As you move there is a smaller line that connects you so the GPS is updating as you move along, but the original magenta line is not erased.

I was out caching yesterday. Two caches (close to each other) showed up OK. The only problem is when I would try to go to them, I could not get the GPS to point to them. No matter what screen I used, it would not point or draw a line. Anyone else have this problem?

I've noticed that sometimes when I goto a waypoint the next screen I see is the compass and at other times it is the map screen. It seems like the Colorado bases this on the waypoint symbol. If you goto a geocache/geocache found you'll end up on the compass screen after a goto. All other waypoint symbols (well at least the 6-8 I tried) seem to land you back on the map screen.

Yet another feature I wish Garmin would provide a switch to disable. I always want to be on the map screen after a goto.

GO$Rs

I notice Garmin are advertising in the UK

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=1350

Vehicle power cable

Part Number: 010-10723-06

Suggested Retail Price: £ 15.31 excl. VAT

Compatible products i3 - so I borrowed one!

It does the same as when you connect to the PC it becomes a 'drive'!!!!!

Do you have a different version in the USA?

Same part # here. I ordered one from Amazon and it works fine on my Colorado 300 when I plug it into the car.

Vehicle power cable

Same part # here. I ordered one from Amazon and it works fine on my Colorado 300 when I plug it into the car.

I think that Garmin is saying that this cable will also work with the i3, not that the i3's cable will work with the Colorado.

Vehicle power cable

It did the same thing (tried to become a drive) when I connected it to my 12v adapter for one of those Lt. Ohura Bluetooth thingies that you cram into your ear to talk on your cellphone...

Edited by FlagMan

I went to the actual Garmin website, looked up the Colorado 300, clicked the accessories tab, and got the part # for the DC power cord. Went to Amazon and searched for that part #. Got quite a few other Garmin hits without that part # for some reason. Found the right one and ordered it.

Try this:

1) Run the gps for 4 hours.

2) Take notee of battery meter.

3) Turn it off.

4) Turn it on.

5) Take not of battery meter.

My unit would either not turn back on (after only 2 hours) or if it did turn back on, the battery meter would be low and I would lose backlight functionality even if I turned off backlight limiting (on version 2.4).

Either my unit was bad or the Colorado does a poor job of interpreting the health of partially charged batteries when turning on.

Got the exact same issue here Colorado 300

I have run into an extremely minor problem, but a problem none-the-less. When I plug my 300 into my computer it turns on for a brief moment then turns off. If I turn the unit on before plugging it into my computer, it connects fine. As I said, minor inconvenience, but I would imagine that it isn't supposed to perform that way, since it used to turn itself on when I connected it to my computer.