Garmin Colorado FAQ and Issues List

I have a question that may have been answered. If I take 3 GPX files and place them in the colorado does it read all of them at the same time? I live in a large city and have well over 500 caches in the area so I need to divide it up when receiving the files from Geocaching.com. Usually I will place them in GSAK and make 1 large GPX file, but if this is not needed then placing caches into it is easier than I am making it.

To g-o-cashers

Can you add this to your list:

It is good in option menu to have in the end something like help

Well this is not an issue but I think it is good to have it.

In pages where you can change settings you can see in the help what each entry is if you need to.

Of course this is not priority number one but still they should consider it.

That's what manuals are for. Granted, the Colorado manual is pretty poor but to expect the unit to use up storage for documentation that one will only need initially, while a new owner familiarizes themselves with a unit ... that just seems like a waste of storage.

It's better to ask Garmin to improve their user manual.

I don't think it will use a lot of memory it's just text info. And it will be useful for things you are not using very often. And after some software change there may be discrepancy between manual and actual menu.

I have this in my GSM why not have it in my GPS? And also not every thing is for every one there are people that won't need this feature but there are people that will appreciate it.

Have any body noticed what the clock shows at 00:05 o'clock?

I have Co 300 and it showed 12:05 am. And after switching to 24 hour format it showed 00:05. Returned to 12 hour format and it showed 12:05 am again.

Edited by vlado08

I run my unit for about an hour on fully charged batteries. The unit still says the batteries are full. If I power the unit off and back on, it says the batteries are only half full.

Is this normal or should I return the unit? I am running 2.4 firmware. I have not been able to figure out what chipset I have. I ran the updater and reloaded 2.4, but I did not see the pop-up screen people are talking about.

I have Co 300 and it showed 12:05 am. And after switching to 24 hour format it showed 00:05. Returned to 12 hour format and it showed 12:05 am again.

Er .. yes ... that is exactly what you would expect!

12-hour clock starts at 12:00 am (midnight) and goes to 12:01 am, 12:02 am ... 12:59 am, 1:00 am .... 11:58 am, 11:59 am, 12:00 pm (midday), 12:01 pm ... 12:59 pm, 1:00 pm, 1:01 pm ... 11:58 pm, 11:59 pm, 12:00 am (midnight).

24 hour clock starts at 00:00 (midnight at start of day), and then goes to 00:01, 00:02 ... sand so on in an ever-increasing sequence until 23:58, 23:59, pausing instantaneously at 24:00 (midnight at end of day), which is equivalent to 00:00.

Hope this helps!

12-hour clock starts at 12:00 am (midnight) and goes to 12:01 am, 12:02 am ... 12:59 am, 1:00 am .... 11:58 am, 11:59 am, 12:00 pm (midday), 12:01 pm ... 12:59 pm, 1:00 pm, 1:01 pm ... 11:58 pm, 11:59 pm, 12:00 am (midnight).

24 hour clock starts at 00:00 (midnight at start of day), and then goes to 00:01, 00:02 ... sand so on in an ever-increasing sequence until 23:58, 23:59, pausing instantaneously at 24:00 (midnight at end of day), which is equivalent to 00:00.

Hope this helps!

Whoah ... I guess that he needs that "Help" button, ;)

Hope this helps!

Thanks Julianh. I feel so stupid.

I don't know where you live, but if it's somewhere where the 24 hour system is used, it's easy to get confused by the illogical 12 hour system.

As a note, there is no 24:00 really. Maybe it will show that, but that's then just some erroneous state, before it switches to the correct 0:00.

I noticed something in the auto naming of new waypoints.

When doing multiple Multi caches on one day I start the first cache with WP1 by marking my current position this will automatically get the name 001.

The next will be 002 etc.

When starting the second multi cache the first WP I rename to 101, the when marking new WP the automatically get the names 102, 103 etc.

At least that is how it is working on my 60CSx, not on the CO

The CO will look for the first WP name available for example if the last one used was 009 it will name every new marked WP 010.

I then have to rename it 102, and the next time I mark a new WP it will get the name 010 again so that a have rename that WP to 103 my self

I find this most annoying since the way you in put text on the CO is the worst ever.

An other thing, just created waypoint on my 60CSx are found first on the list of recently found waypoints.

Easily accessible by pressing the Find button twice.

On the CO they do not, they appear under waypoints.

With the waypoints closest by the new created waypoint could end up at the bottom of the list.

43.gif

When using the option Edit Waypoint you can choose what to edit Name, Symbol, etc.

It would be nice for example to show the symbol so I can decide if I want to cache it or not.

Now I was to choose the option edit symbol to see what symbol is used and to deicide, I do not want to cache it.

I don't know where you live, but if it's somewhere where the 24 hour system is used, it's easy to get confused by the illogical 12 hour system.

As a note, there is no 24:00 really. Maybe it will show that, but that's then just some erroneous state, before it switches to the correct 0:00.

Which is why I said "pausing instantaneously at 24:00 (midnight at end of day), which is equivalent to 00:00". The instant of midnight is 24:00 at the end of the day, but it is also 00:00 at the start of the next day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/24-hour_clock

Any 24 hour clock MIGHT show a time of 24:00:00 for an instant, but then it will (should) change immediately to show 00:00:01 (for 1 second after midnight). By convention, most 24-hour clocks will roll over from 23:59:59 to 00:00:00 at the stroke of midnight, but 24:00:00 is equally valid. There is generally no 24:01 (or even 24:00:01) in the 24-hour clock system.

Edited by julianh
The last selected item in a list (Setup or Others etc) could move to the top of the list. That way, your most selected items are always near the top. The 60CS had an option for this feature.

Of course you can setup the order and type of shortcuts with these units in any way you please, plus you can have different setups with each profile. None of this was available with the 60 series. Personally, I find this new setup much more flexible. Put the shortcuts in that you want in the order you want and they will be there in the future.
I find that its the Others menu that I would like to see this feature implemented on. These are things that aren't in my Shortcuts menu because I don't use them as much. However, when I do it would be nice to have them sort in order of most frequent use.
As long as it is an option, I'm fine with this change. I personally like it just the way it is, going back to the thing I last used. Since the order of the items never changes, I know just how far to scroll and in what direction to get to where I want to go in the options list. If it was constantly reordering, I'd always have to be searching for the one I was interested in.

Searching these threads is like looking for the needle in a hay stack. I was wanting to place mapsets from Topo USA and City Navigator on the same SD card. When I place the City Nav. on the card it overwrote my Topo USA. Am I missing a way to make this happen? I tried renaming the City Navigator file, but then it does not show up on my Colorado. There must be a way to do this. Any thoughts are appreciated. I am sure I am missing something obvious....

Searching these threads is like looking for the needle in a hay stack. I was wanting to place mapsets from Topo USA and City Navigator on the same SD card. When I place the City Nav. on the card it overwrote my Topo USA. Am I missing a way to make this happen? I tried renaming the City Navigator file, but then it does not show up on my Colorado. There must be a way to do this. Any thoughts are appreciated. I am sure I am missing something obvious....

You need to choose both map sets at the same time and send them together.

I'm sure this is Garmin FAQ #1.... :laughing:

You need to choose both map sets at the same time and send them together.

I'm sure this is Garmin FAQ #1.... :laughing:

Like I said...obvious. Thanks!

It wasn't clear if the maps were loaded as part of the same img file (I assumed that they were). The name is unique to the img file. I know different names from different img files works on the CO. I used this last week as part of some max segment testing I was doing.

GO$Rs

On opening the Colorado box I found that the Rock'n Roller was turning around without doing anything.

On reading your details here:-

http://garmincolorado.wikispaces.com/Hardw...s%2C+Power#toc6

I removed the Rock'n Roller and found that the small magnet had detached from the Rock'n Roller and was lying on top of the plastic!

I'm guessing Garmin can send you a new RnR. Looks like it was designed to be easily replaced and maintained.

I was actually seeing if I could buy an extra -- seems like it would be nice to have a spare, just in case!

GO$Rs

My Rockn'Roller dropped off and was lost in the field - take care not to snag it on a passing branch. Garmin Europe were unable to send me a spare as it was too new for them to have built up stocks so they replaced the whole unit in their usual prompt way. :) Unfortunately they gave me the wrong unlock code for my Topo maps but all is well now. :)

09.03.2008_13:13:36_statusbar.jpg

Are there other persons who are missing a status bar.

Switching always to the page where you can change the backlight is not funny to see the

Batt-status, Sat-status, compass-status, light-status,...

or is there any trick to check it out easily :)

@g-o-cashers could you add this to your list please - thank you. :)

09.03.2008_13:13:36_statusbar.jpg

Are there other persons who are missing a status bar.

Switching always to the page where you can change the backlight is not funny to see the

Batt-status, Sat-status, compass-status, light-status,...

or is there any trick to check it out easily :)

@g-o-cashers could you add this to your list please - thank you. :)

I'd rather have the extra screen real estate used for maps. It's not that much effort to quickly press the on/off key in order to see the battery, satellite, and back light status.

Edited by nicolo

I'd rather have the extra screen real estate used for maps. It's not that much effort to quickly press the on/off key in order to see the battery, satellite, and back light status.

and how do you know if the compass is turned on? :)

The best way would be a status bar which can be enabled/disabled by user - so everybody would be happy :)

and how do you know if the compass is turned on? :)

The best way would be a status bar which can be enabled/disabled by user - so everybody would be happy :)

Shortcut -> Compass -> look at screen ( if the compass moves, it's on. If if doesn't move, it's off )

I'd prefer that Garmin spending their coding energies on features that do not exist.

Edited by nicolo

Now when I do know where it does come from, I do agree Anders.

You can find it after you have selected some maps in MapSource and then go to Maps tab.

There you will see at the bottom "Map Set Name:"

Select it and remove "Autoname the map set"

and you can type anything you like the map set to be named.

This is then displayed for all the different maps you have in the

same gmapsupp.img file

Can proximity alerts work.

Is turned of by Garmin. I du suggest that you send an email to Garmin and complain.

Why remove something that did work nice on the 60 series??

Actually, I have received proximity alerts ("arriving at waypoint") messages while using a 400t in the field (2.40/2.60 slushware). Never bothered to find out how to turn it on or off.

Tom

Is turned of by Garmin. I du suggest that you send an email to Garmin and complain.

Thank you, There are 13500 Speed cameras [POI] in the UK. The 60CSX worked so well with them, and so far the Colorado does not!!!!

Can the Colarado increase the size if the POI icons?

A quick search on Goole seems to sa that you can use 16x16 or 24x24 pixel size icons.

http://www.malsingmaps.com/wiki/index.php/Custom_POI_Icon

I have the 24 x 24 POI Icons on the unit but for the Speed Cameras they are too small, as we do not get the 'proximity alert'!

I cannot get the icon with text.

115ra1.png

Edited by strumble

Thank you, There are 13500 Speed cameras [POI] in the UK. The 60CSX worked so well with them, and so far the Colorado does not!!!!

Can the Colarado increase the size if the POI icons?

A quick search on Goole seems to sa that you can use 16x16 or 24x24 pixel size icons.

http://www.malsingmaps.com/wiki/index.php/Custom_POI_Icon

I have the 24 x 24 POI Icons on the unit but for the Speed Cameras they are too small, as we do not get the 'proximity alert'!

I cannot get the icon with text.

115ra1.png

After doing a little homework (I'm just studying up for the future) reading about 'POI loader' I get the

impression setting "proximity alarms" for POIs is a function on the front end; in POI loader before moving

to the handheld.

Right?

Or wrong?

Norm

In the UK we download the Speed Camera database to a folder, and using the POI loader default settings, the 13500 camera locations with icons and proximity alarms are loaded by default to the units!

The Colorado is sadly lacking in the technique of operating the database:-

No proximity Alarm

No Text with the Icons

After doing a little homework (I'm just studying up for the future) reading about 'POI loader', I get the

impression setting "proximity alarms" for POIs is a function on the front end; in POI loader before moving

to the handheld.

Right?

Or wrong?

Norm

Soooo?! . . . The answer is . . . ?

Norm