Garmin Colorado FAQ and Issues List

I've always had 2.78GB of memory on mine, 144MB available for Wherigo files, .gpx files, etc. Even after upgrading to 2.40 (I just checked it 60 seconds ago). But I have a 2GB SD card too, so space is no object. Mine has been pretty much glitch free so I wouldn't want to trade for a 3.72GB unit.

Edited by victorymike

Ok, I have loaded one just to try it out using the GPX loader with send to Garmin. I still can't the caches to load from GSAK. I am totally computer stupid. But thanks for the info.

Vegas Gamblers-

No need to feel stupid: The Colorado introduced a new level of complexity, where it's no longer just "plug and play" (e.g. plug in a USB GPS receiver, and click "Send to GPS" from GSAK ;-). You are not alone, and I've received several emails from folks having trouble getting caches loaded into the Colorado.

Again, at the risk of flame, I'll dare cross-post: I've developed a GSAK macro which eliminates this complexity from the user, "auto-detecting" the Colorado, and generating the GPX export file in the correct location on the unit. A front-end form allows the user to control which caches get exported (by database, location, and filter) - or can just rely on the current GSAK filtering.

You'll find the macro explained and available for download in this thread, with a corresponding discussion thread located here. I'm confident it will help with your troubles - and would be interested in the feedback of both novice and 'power' users.

Hope this helps,

Billy

Dutch language selected:

Geocache Options: not translated

Found geocache, "Find Next Closest" not translated

Calendar: "S M T W T F S" is translated in Dutch as "Z M D W D F Z" should be "Z M D W D V Z"

(selectable would be even better, I like Saturday and Sunday as the last two)

-----------------

In Setup, you can return to Setup menu, In Options you can only return to Shortcuts

We had a chance to take our two 400Ts out yesterday for a full day of caching. We both use them everyday but this was the chance to see how they are doing and identify any consistent problems. I know some of these have been reported but I still wanted to add my results.

1. Map still changes to North up from track constantly. Happens after choosing a Geocache. Constant problem in having to change it back all day long.

2. Unit suddenly lost ability to route. It just stopped working for about an hour. Pulling batteries did not reset the problem. Happened to one unit in the morning for about an hour and the other in the afternoon for about 20 minutes. When you choose go to location, nothing happens.

3. Random shut down. This happens to one unit more than the other

4. Compass stops working where there is no arrow. Has happened to both.

5. Found geocaches remain on the map regardless of changing gpx files etc. The ability to delete them manually does not exist that I can find.

6. Not yesterday but took both units to play Wherigo at gas works park. Both units locked up during play and would lose all progress in the cartridge at different times where you had to start over. One unit locked up so bad that it would not start at all. Once we were home that unit started working again.

7. I read that showing caches in recent finds had been fixed but no caches show up in recent finds, only waypoints.

Both of these are “G” models as “M” did not show up when updating to 2.40 last time.

The one observation I would make about functionality is that when you are trying to get to a cache you have to work through too many screens to get the information. I would have "show logs" and "show hint" both on the first option screen after selecting the cache rather than having to navigate an additional screen. I would also like to have the GC# and coordinates on the initial transparency overlay on the map after you choose a cache.

If I have missed a setting or something to correct any of these please let me know. Waiting for the next update :laughing:

5. Found geocaches remain on the map regardless of changing gpx files etc. The ability to delete them manually does not exist that I can find.

When you mark a cache as found (or not found) it creates a waypoint with an open geocache icon. Replacing the GPX file with a new one does not affect the waypoints. If you delete all waypoints (or at least the ones you don't want), all of your found icons will go away.

When you mark a cache as found (or not found) it creates a waypoint with an open geocache icon. Replacing the GPX file with a new one does not affect the waypoints. If you delete all waypoints (or at least the ones you don't want), all of your found icons will go away.

Thank you :laughing:

That isn't the way it works for me. Marking a geocache found changes the icon to a found symbol but the point is still a geocache, there is no conversion to a waypoint. I checked four caches I marked this way yesterday and there is no waypoint with the same name. Similarly if you download current.gpx you don't see a waypoint in the file.

Geocaches stay in the gpx file and can never be deleted or modified other than marking them found, needs maintenance or didn't find. All the later seems to do is change the icon for display.

The only way to remove the geocache is delete or overwrite the gpx file(s) which contain that cache on the CO and restart. The CO should remove all of the caches associated with the removed/changed file.

If you are having problems with this procedure make sure you don't have two gpx files loaded with the same cache. Some people have also found that deleting all of the gpx files and restarting clean seems to get them back on their feet. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a bug in the cleanup logic.

GO$Rs

Edited by g-o-cashers

That isn't the way it works for me. Marking a geocache found changes the icon to a found symbol but the point is still a geocache, there is no conversion to a waypoint.

Same here.

Thank you :D

That isn't the way it works for me. Marking a geocache found changes the icon to a found symbol but the point is still a geocache, there is no conversion to a waypoint. I checked four caches I marked this way yesterday and there is no waypoint with the same name. Similarly if you download current.gpx you don't see a waypoint in the file.

Geocaches stay in the gpx file and can never be deleted or modified other than marking them found, needs maintenance or didn't find. All the later seems to do is change the icon for display.

The only way to remove the geocache is delete or overwrite the gpx file(s) which contain that cache on the CO and restart. The CO should remove all of the caches associated with the removed/changed file.

If you are having problems with this procedure make sure you don't have two gpx files loaded with the same cache. Some people have also found that deleting all of the gpx files and restarting clean seems to get them back on their feet. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a bug in the cleanup logic.

GO$Rs

Ah, so the found caches are saved in the GPX file, just marked as found. That would make sense, since you can lookup your found caches on the unit. By replacing the GPX file with a new one that doesn't have the cache you found, you're effectively deleting them from the unit. Much better than having to delete all waypoints, especially if some of your waypoints aren't geocaching-related. Thanks for the better description, I stand corrected. :laughing:

Is there a way to Map a POI? I think the 60CSx had that feature but cannot seem to do it on the CO.

Say for example that I want use my CO to search and pan around the area surrounding Guadalupe Peak. I can use Where To?>All POI>Option> Spell... and then find Guadalupe Peak. I come up with the POI information box at the top of the screen and the green Go at the bottom right. However with that you can only zoom in and out. I want to pan around that area.

Is there a way to do this rather than pan all the way from you current location to that location of interest?

One other thing to keep in mind when marking caches as found / not found etc... is that every time you do it the CO makes an entry in the field notes file.

My wife accidentally marked a cache as found because the CO truncates the cache name in the list and both caches started with the same phrase. She marked the first one as found, went back to see the next one on the list, and saw the cache still on the list. She assumed she hadn't marked it as found, so she did it again. I noticed her error and remarked it as not found, then we found it, and marked it as found. When I uploaded the field notes it was in there three times. Of course if we had been displaying the GCxxxx instead of the name, she probably wouldn't have mismarked it.

Ah, so the found caches are saved in the GPX file, just marked as found. That would make sense, since you can lookup your found caches on the unit. By replacing the GPX file with a new one that doesn't have the cache you found, you're effectively deleting them from the unit. Much better than having to delete all waypoints, especially if some of your waypoints aren't geocaching-related. Thanks for the better description, I stand corrected. <_<
Actually no, I don't think the GPX file is modified at all. The field note DB on the GPS is modified, and the mapping software uses the field data DB to override things, such as whether the icon shows as the geocache type icon, or the open chest icon, and whether the geocache shows up in the nearest list, or the found list.

This is only speculation from the viewpoint of a programmer, as that's how I might have done it.

--Marky

1) Your map is in marine mode. You can change in on the setup page or you may be in the marine profile.

2) Plug it into a computer with the USB cable and check the properties of the new disk drive it creates.

3) When you run the updater to check for new firmware it should tell you.

One other thing to keep in mind when marking caches as found / not found etc... is that every time you do it the CO makes an entry in the field notes file.

My wife accidentally marked a cache as found because the CO truncates the cache name in the list and both caches started with the same phrase. She marked the first one as found, went back to see the next one on the list, and saw the cache still on the list. She assumed she hadn't marked it as found, so she did it again. I noticed her error and remarked it as not found, then we found it, and marked it as found. When I uploaded the field notes it was in there three times. Of course if we had been displaying the GCxxxx instead of the name, she probably wouldn't have mismarked it.

This very "problem" (multiple records for a single cache) poses an interesting challenge. Clearly, with the application of some logic, you can "condense" all the actions down to a bare minimum of one "action" (either Found, or Did Not Find), with one optional 'status' (Needs Maintenance), which could apply to either type of log.

This is exactly what I wanted to achieve, to supersede (and even enhance) what I used to do with CacheMate, HotSync, CM2GPX and GSAK's CacheMate import function. No coincidence, then, that this is part of the core functionality of the Garmin Colorado Field Notes Import Macro accomplishes. Well, that and a little bit more, with correcting the Zulu timestamp for the local timezone, and putting various values in Notes or Log sections, etc.

Why do I feel "dirty" every time I mention this? I'm not here 'plugging', really: I developed these macros for my own personal benefit, but then tried to make them "generic" and friendly enough to be of general use to the community. Your Mileage May Vary.

Peace,

Billy

This very "problem" (multiple records for a single cache) poses an interesting challenge. Clearly, with the application of some logic, you can "condense" all the actions down to a bare minimum of one "action" (either Found, or Did Not Find), with one optional 'status' (Needs Maintenance), which could apply to either type of log.

This is exactly what I wanted to achieve, to supersede (and even enhance) what I used to do with CacheMate, HotSync, CM2GPX and GSAK's CacheMate import function. No coincidence, then, that this is part of the core functionality of the Garmin Colorado Field Notes Import Macro accomplishes. Well, that and a little bit more, with correcting the Zulu timestamp for the local timezone, and putting various values in Notes or Log sections, etc.

Why do I feel "dirty" every time I mention this? I'm not here 'plugging', really: I developed these macros for my own personal benefit, but then tried to make them "generic" and friendly enough to be of general use to the community. Your Mileage May Vary.

Peace,

Billy

Sounds good. I'll have to look at your stuff. I've only got a Windows PC for some police scanners, games and the GPS. Haven't messed with anything else Windows-related in a long time.

1) Your map is in marine mode. You can change in on the setup page or you may be in the marine profile.

2) Plug it into a computer with the USB cable and check the properties of the new disk drive it creates.

3) When you run the updater to check for new firmware it should tell you.

Duh, number one fixed, thanks TheNash's.

Number 2 & 3 will be checked later.

Due to a cross country move, I've lost track of the Colorado threads, but a search here and of the FAQ/issues didn't turn this one up.

Is there no "reposition here" option for waypoints? I use this extensively for biking, hiking, etc. I'll plan a route, creating waypoints for trail junctions, etc., as accurately as possible using mapping software. Then, in the field, if one is off, I'll use "reposition here" on my 60CSx. Come home, download track and waypoints and I've got an accurate map for future reference or for sharing.

Did they really leave this out? I sure can't find it.

It is currently not an option. I miss that too, and have emailed Garmin techsupp with the request to add it, among many other features I miss that my 60Cx has. Saved track functions is another biggie for me the way I use my GPSr for backcountry hikes.

It is currently not an option. I miss that too, and have emailed Garmin techsupp with the request to add it, among many other features I miss that my 60Cx has. Saved track functions is another biggie for me the way I use my GPSr for backcountry hikes.

Thanks for verifying. I agree re: tracks. Not being able to load multiple tracks is hampering my backcountry use of it too.

Regarding the missing translations (Dutch) above:

The translations are in a specific file for each language. When Garmin issues updates, where new text strings are needed, these strings have to be added to the translation file to work. If they are missing there, it will use English instead. That's why there are some translations missing, as the translations files haven't been updated yet. They can be updated separately from the firmware. This is done automatically by Webupdater.

Monday as the first day of the week has been an international standard since the early 1970's, but it hasn't made it into the American's minds yet.

A couple of items that I haven't seen mentioned:

The last selected item in a list (Setup or Others etc) could move to the top of the list. That way, your most selected items are always near the top. The 60CS had an option for this feature.

Have the Track page as one of the items you can add to the shortcut list.

And as mentioned earlier, I would like to see the Reposition Here feature added for waypoints.

A couple of items that I haven't seen mentioned:

The last selected item in a list (Setup or Others etc) could move to the top of the list. That way, your most selected items are always near the top. The 60CS had an option for this feature.

Have the Track page as one of the items you can add to the shortcut list.

And as mentioned earlier, I would like to see the Reposition Here feature added for waypoints.

Added.

Of course you can setup the order and type of shortcuts with these units in any way you please, plus you can have different setups with each profile. None of this was available with the 60 series. Personally, I find this new setup much more flexible. Put the shortcuts in that you want in the order you want and they will be there in the future.

Of course you can setup the order and type of shortcuts with these units in any way you please, plus you can have different setups with each profile. None of this was available with the 60 series. Personally, I find this new setup much more flexible. Put the shortcuts in that you want in the order you want and they will be there in the future.

I find that its the Others menu that I would like to see this feature implemented on. These are things that aren't in my Shortcuts menu because I don't use them as much. However, when I do it would be nice to have them sort in order of most frequent use.

GO$Rs

Added.

Thank you!!!

You're welcome, but please keep in mind that just because I add them to the Issues List doesn't mean that they are going to to get fixed.

Please, please, if you have problems report them to Garmin and feel free to reference the Issues list in part or whole.

I've been told they look at the list and I've personally sent the list to support at least 5-6 times as it has evolved. Support indicates that they have shared it with engineering but I never get anything back about when certain issues might be fixed (or not).

GO$Rs

Edited by g-o-cashers

Ok, I have a question, is there a way to show the location of the cache (ie. Lat/Lon) on the geocache listing on the screen. If not can this be an added issue to the list if others agree with me. I have the location (Lat/Lon) on the map screen and would like to compare it to where I am in conjuction to the cache location. I have not used the arrow to find caches, I usually go with the cords to get me close and start searching.

Ok, I have a question, is there a way to show the location of the cache (ie. Lat/Lon) on the geocache listing on the screen. If not can this be an added issue to the list if others agree with me. I have the location (Lat/Lon) on the map screen and would like to compare it to where I am in conjuction to the cache location. I have not used the arrow to find caches, I usually go with the cords to get me close and start searching.

What I thought you could do is while on the compass page go in and change one of the data fields to location (selected) and another to location (lat/lon). However, both those data fields then only displayed location (lat/lon). I tried a geocache, POI, and waypoint.

This may be another one for GO$Rs list - the location (selected) only displays the current location.

What I thought you could do is while on the compass page go in and change one of the data fields to location (selected) and another to location (lat/lon). However, both those data fields then only displayed location (lat/lon). I tried a geocache, POI, and waypoint.

This may be another one for GO$Rs list - the location (selected) only displays the current location.

Location (lat/long) shows the coordinates of your current location in dotted decimal minutes.

Location (selected) shows the coordinates of your current location in the coordinate format you have selected (decimal, dotted decimal minutes, UTM, etc).

GO$Rs

I have not used the arrow to find caches, I usually go with the cords to get me close and start searching.

Why?? It seems like a complicated way to do something simple.

Don't know it was just something that I got used to. We were able to go out and find two caches in the city snow yesterday and I used the arrow and it worked.

Edited by Vegas Gamblers

Location (lat/long) shows the coordinates of your current location in dotted decimal minutes.

Location (selected) shows the coordinates of your current location in the coordinate format you have selected (decimal, dotted decimal minutes, UTM, etc).

GO$Rs

I wondered what the difference was. I can see where this would be a neat deal for those caches were they give the coordinates in oddball formats. But its a shame you can't display the coordinates of your waypoint / cache etc... That would be a cool tool, since sometimes this is the best method to zero in on a cache.

Question for any / all Colorado owners, but particularly 300 series:

Where are you installing your GPX files containing the geocaches you want to install on the unit? Are you putting it on the internal memory, or SD card? Does it depend on which / how many maps you have loaded at any particular moment?

In my 400t, I've yet to come close to filling the internal memory - so as a result, I've yet to install anything on the SD card. Just wondering if 300 owners (especially) find that they fill the internal memory with maps, and end up with GPX files saved to the SD card?

Just trying to understand how people with different models are exporting their caches -- thanks for any feedback!

Have a great week,

Billy

What to do to get more free internal memory on you 3GB 400T

1. Buy a 8GB SD card.

2. Move gmapprom.img to SD card.

3. Rename file from gmapprom.img to gmapsupp.img

NB

If you install new maps to your GPS, be carefully not to store them on SD card.

If you do so, you will overwrite your Topo map.

This way you have nearly 3GB free internaly on your 400T.

ALWAYS take backup of your img files.

Question for any / all Colorado owners, but particularly 300 series:

Where are you installing your GPX files containing the geocaches you want to install on the unit? Are you putting it on the internal memory, or SD card? Does it depend on which / how many maps you have loaded at any particular moment?

On my 300 I load all my mapping (City Select, Topo 2008, Nat Parks 24K, US Topo) on a 2GB SD card, of which I currently have about 1.2 GB. This covers most of New England. I have created a GPX folder on the card where I can put my cache .gpx files, but did that as a test. I works. I have my 70K custom POIs, geocache .gpx files, and various waypoints in the internal memory, and have virtually all of that memory left.

I have a second SD card loaded with mapping and geocaches because I'm planning a trip. I can switch cards when I get to my destination.

GO$Rs

I wondered what the difference was. I can see where this would be a neat deal for those caches were they give the coordinates in oddball formats. But its a shame you can't display the coordinates of your waypoint / cache etc... That would be a cool tool, since sometimes this is the best method to zero in on a cache.

Actually, you can make good use of this feature even if the cache coordinates are given in normal units. One of the problems with the Garmin units is that the arrow (and bearing to next) goes nuts when you get close to the cache. In most cases, this is not a problem because you can just search around until you find it. But if you get stuck, you can make good use of UTM coordinates to help you zero in. This is a lot easier than using lat/lon because the UTM coordinates are in meters. For some reason, the minor shifts in apparent position that confuse the pointer do not affect your current location as much. So you can compare your current location in UTM with the cache coordinates in UTM -- giving you a good idea of which direction and how far to go.

Of course this does require you to know the cache coordinates in UTM. This information is present on the cache page on the web. Can't remember if the Colorado displays it with the cache description or not. You can always convert it on the unit.

Disclaimer: I haven't actually tried this in the field on the Colorado. It worked well on my antique GPS III+ though.

I've been having issues with POIs on my 400T - nothing major, but reproducible.

First is that almost all of the time when uploading POIs, the POILoader reports that there was a problem with the transfer. The only time I have not had this happen is when the POI file has a very small number of POIs. So far, I have not seen any problem with the results, though - all POIs that I have checked have ended up loading successfully on the unit.

Secondly, the unit dies (screen fade, need to turn it back on) when selecting a POI from the "Recent Finds" listing of the "Where To?" page if that POI has been reloaded since it was last viewed. The 60CSx was quirky in this matter as well - it wouldn't crash, but the POI would be lacking all description data and custom POI, and would show up as thousands of miles away even though you could successfully route to the proper location using it.

One of the problems with the Garmin units is that the arrow (and bearing to next) goes nuts when you get close to the cache.

Turn the comapss off and you'll see the arrow never goes "nuts" and always takes you right there......

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to try that. I was actually disappointed that this behavior had not (apparently) improved in the Colorado. Since the III+ has no compass, it never occurred to me that the two were related.

First is that almost all of the time when uploading POIs, the POILoader reports that there was a problem with the transfer.

I've noticed this on my 300 as well. At first I went back and tried to run it again, then a third time. I found it loaded all my POIs three times. Then I checked my POI.gpi file on my 300 each time I ran Loader, and I noticed the file size grew each time. I had three copies of the same points. After that I've just ignored the nasty-gram and found it does work. I thought it was just me, glad to hear I'm going nuts here.

To g-o-cashers

Can you add this to your list:

It is good in option menu to have in the end something like help

Well this is not an issue but I think it is good to have it.

In pages where you can change settings you can see in the help what each entry is if you need to.

Of course this is not priority number one but still they should consider it.

Edited by vlado08

To g-o-cashers

Can you add this to your list:

It is good in option menu to have in the end something like help

Well this is not an issue but I think it is good to have it.

In pages where you can change settings you can see in the help what each entry is if you need to.

Of course this is not priority number one but still they should consider it.

That's what manuals are for. Granted, the Colorado manual is pretty poor but to expect the unit to use up storage for documentation that one will only need initially, while a new owner familiarizes themselves with a unit ... that just seems like a waste of storage.

It's better to ask Garmin to improve their user manual.

Edited by nicolo

First is that almost all of the time when uploading POIs, the POILoader reports that there was a problem with the transfer.

I've noticed this on my 300 as well. At first I went back and tried to run it again, then a third time. I found it loaded all my POIs three times. Then I checked my POI.gpi file on my 300 each time I ran Loader, and I noticed the file size grew each time. I had three copies of the same points. After that I've just ignored the nasty-gram and found it does work. I thought it was just me, glad to hear I'm going nuts here.

Yep, I discovered that, too! I learned early on when creating multiple POI files on the Colorado that I needed to exit POILoader and relaunch between loads or else each subsequent POI file contained all of the POIs from the previous loads.

Turn the comapss off and you'll see the arrow never goes "nuts" and always takes you right there......

How do you turn off the compass on a Colorado?

I wondered this last night when my batteries got to low and it turned off the backlight and froze the display. Today I searched the menu's and found it.

Shortcuts>Setup>Heading>Compass>options>off

I've not had any problems with the custom POIs on my 300. I have thousands of them on there without any problems.

The compasses on all Garmin GPSs have always been the next best thing to useless. With the quick location update of these newer units, there is little need for one.

Edited by Red90