Garmin Colorado FAQ and Issues List

With 2.4 there are several issues that have been resolved...

My boot time is now only 19 seconds with 800+ caches loaded.

I don't have to run my GPX file through Spinner and load it into Mapsource and then send the waypoints to the GPSr...the caches show up on the map from the GPX file itself.

When you turn the unit off in one location and turn it on somewhere else, it doesn't connect your last track point to the new location. This way there aren't annoying long straight lines on your map; each session has a new track log.

Street names and elevations show up on the map!

I can mark caches as found! Of course, marking a cache as unfound displays a found icon instead of leaving it untouched.

Caches and their descriptions load immediately rather than after 3-5 seconds.

I haven't tried using the electronic compass yet so I don't know if they fixed it or not.

Overall with 2.40 this GPSr is finally what I was expecting when I bought it over a month ago. I'm sure there are other things they can improve on, but it's finally good to go for me. :lol:

When you turn the unit off in one location and turn it on somewhere else, it doesn't connect your last track point to the new location. This way there aren't annoying long straight lines on your map; each session has a new track log.

Ahhh, so THAT'S what it was doing, I never realized that. Oh well, on 2.4 now anyway but thanks for clearing up that mystery.

When Street routing, if I scroll to a cache, and read the description, it kills the driving route

common problem?

Yes. I'm seeing the same behavior. I'd noticed similar results in 2.3, but there was a LOT of screwy stuff going on with routing, and I didn't pay these 'occasional glitches' much mind. Now that things are settling down, and starting to work more as expected /desired - these smaller issues are able to rise up from the noise floor.

I've had to go re-select the cache I was navigating to, and "Go To" again, the restore the auto-routing.

I agree that v2.40 is a big improvement both in speed of operation and usability having initially been very disappointed with the Colorado.

But I have found one quirk which I do not think was in V2.30. I am finding that only geocaches in a gpx file on the sd card are recognised even though an identical file was in the internal memory. If I remove the sd card (gpx file still in internal memory) - no caches and the button for geocaches disappears from the where to menu. In most respects this is fine as I had planned to keep my caches on the sd card but had also thought to keep my core caches internally and add out of town caches to the card as and when needed.

I am finding that Garmin have not yet added the Colorado to their notification of updates facility as any request to be added to the list is bounced back.

BTW this is a most helpful topic for a not very techie getting to grips with a new tool - but it is getting very long and may it be time to split it up to separate requests for help from suggestions for improvements?

But I have found one quirk which I do not think was in V2.30. I am finding that only geocaches in a gpx file on the sd card are recognised even though an identical file was in the internal memory. If I remove the sd card (gpx file still in internal memory) - no caches and the button for geocaches disappears from the where to menu. In most respects this is fine as I had planned to keep my caches on the sd card but had also thought to keep my core caches internally and add out of town caches to the card as and when needed.

Hi John-

That's very interesting: That's not how my unit behaves, at all. What I find really strange is that in my experience (which, granted, has been almost exclusively with the internal memory on my 400t - with still over 800MB free, I haven't even needed to install the 2GB SD card yet), the GPX file you export to the Colorado is only parsed once (unless it changes) - and loaded into the "Current.GPX" file on the internal memory (e.g. F:\garmin\GPX\Current\Current.GPX.

I just tried this, as an experiment:

Pushed a GPX file to the units internal memory:

F:\garmin\GPX\caches.GPX

Rebooted the unit - confirmed that the < 2000 caches loaded as anticipated.

Reconnected via USB, and removed the caches.GPX file.

Rebooted again: Caches are... gone.

So, apparently, removal of the 'source' GPX file, even if it's not being parsed on each startup - is enough to trigger the removal of the caches from Current.GPX.

I assume something similar is happening when you remove the SD card containing your caches.

But - what process are you attempting, that results in a GPX file pushed to the Internal memory, but no caches showing up? I'm sure we can resolve that problem.

Hi John-

That's very interesting:

<SNNIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP>

But - what process are you attempting, that results in a GPX file pushed to the Internal memory, but no caches showing up? I'm sure we can resolve that problem.

I'm having the same fun and games. If I copy the GPX file to local memory, (don't forget, we don't have the same amount on the 300c) it doesn't recognise it. Note: I'm putting it in F:\Garmin\GPX

If I put it on the root of the SD card (either through the GPSr or simply by plugging the SD card into my laptop and then taking it out and putting it back) then it works fine.

John: is that the way you see it?

<OT>

I'm still having fun and games trying to get it to recognise a file bigger than 10mb. Interestingly, I'm off oop norf (as we say in the UK) so I've added a second 500 record "Manchester" GPX file on top of my 1200 record "local" file. The total size of the 2 files is about 14mb. The unit recognises all of the caches (total 1700). If I put them in a single file, it doesn't recognise it.

</OT>

Edited by The Other Stu

It seems reasonable that the caches disappear if you remove the GPX file. Otherwise we would need a separate "Delete caches" command, when they've been pre-processed and stored in some internal database.

When first making a route, then looking up a cache, does it not then provide a route (straight line, but still a route) to that cache on the overview map? Which then explains why the original route disappeared. You replaced it with a new one, even if that wasn't your intention, just something that happens then.

My only guess at what is going on here, has to do with the timestamp on the GPX file. The way the GPS decided to process the file or not, depends on if it thinks it already has processed it before. If it thinks it already processed it, then it's not going to re-load it. I've proven this in a couple of experiments. You could try 'touch'ing the file on F:/Garmin/GPX and then power on the GPS and see if it gets recognized.

Nice job, Garmin! The update is a vast improvement.

Now please also add Map Setup to the map options so we can not only choose maps from the map page but also select the options. As it is, we have to go back into Setup Maps and then back to the map itself.

It would also be nice to have map choices stored in a profile so that, for example, topo maps are automatically selected for one profile (geocaching) but City Select maps for another (automotive).

Edited by geohound100

I loaded my Colorado 300 with a set of fresh alkaline Duracell Ultra m3 batteries, firmware 2.4.

kl 15.00 I turned the gps on using no backlight.

kl 19.00 the gps turned off, batteries low.

Is this 15 houres?

That's strange... I did some battery testing this weekend as well (300 w. 2.4). Rechargeable 1950mAH and 2300mAH, backlight on one minute auto off, playing around a couple of times during the day etc... In both trials I got more than 10 hours... With backlight on full it was around 5-6 hours (90% sure on the 5-6 hours as I didn't pay too much attention about this first test).

I loaded my Colorado 300 with a set of fresh alkaline Duracell Ultra m3 batteries, firmware 2.4.

kl 15.00 I turned the gps on using no backlight.

kl 19.00 the gps turned off, batteries low.

Is this 15 houres?

That's strange... I did some battery testing this weekend as well (300 w. 2.4). Rechargeable 1950mAH and 2300mAH, backlight on one minute auto off, playing around a couple of times during the day etc... In both trials I got more than 10 hours... With backlight on full it was around 5-6 hours (90% sure on the 5-6 hours as I didn't pay too much attention about this first test).

My results (Colorado 300 w. 2.4, stationary, good GPS conditions)

The time is measured until the auto off of the receiver.

Fresh Alkaline Batteries (100% Backlight on, no auto shutdown of backlight)):

4.5 hours

Fresh eneloop Batteries (100% Backlight on, no auto shutdown backlight)

10 hours

The value for alkalines is pretty bad and not different from Firmware 2.3.

The value for eneloop-batteries is improved and overall not bad !

My results (Colorado 300 w. 2.4, stationary, good GPS conditions)

The time is measured until the auto off of the receiver.

Fresh eneloop Batteries (100% Backlight on, no auto shutdown backlight)

10 hours

My results (Colorado 300 w. 2.4, stationary, good GPS conditions) with Eneloops matches yours. I was out caching on snowshoes all day yesterday, air temps around 20°F. I had the normal bars dropping progressively as they drained over the 5 hrs. My Sony Eneloop 2000 mah batts lasted 5 hrs per pair with WAAS on, compass off, backlighting timeout set to 30 sec.

I'm still playing catchup with the 2.4 update but I've been through a lot of the threads and played with it myself.

I've updated the Issues list and moved stuff into a "Resolved in 2.4" section that seems to be fixed. There are still a few I need to verify and a couple of new ones that I haven't added.

I'll make a pass at the FAQ in the next few days as well.

GO$Rs

With the latest firmware updates, I went out and purchased our very own 400t. Ok, I have been trying to keep up with all the Colorado threads and now I have one question, how do I delete the geocaches from the Colorado. I found out how to delete waypoints but not geocaches. If this has been addressed I am sorry, but with so many different threads I could not find it.

Thanks for your help in advance.

With the latest firmware updates, I went out and purchased our very own 400t. Ok, I have been trying to keep up with all the Colorado threads and now I have one question, how do I delete the geocaches from the Colorado. I found out how to delete waypoints but not geocaches. If this has been addressed I am sorry, but with so many different threads I could not find it.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Only by re-running your pocket query or re-exporting from a waypoint manager such as GSAK ( after removing the found caches ).

You can also mark the cache as found and it then appears as an open chest so you can tell that you've visited that particular cache.

You get parts of it from Setup -> Tracks, parts from Where to? -> Tracks.

You don't get it all, though.

Tracks are already archived automatically on the Colorado, but in internal memory. Works even if you don't have any card. Logging is done in a way which reduces the amount of files, instead of spending one single file for each and every day.

The Colorado method is more based on location than date. Seems logical for a navigation device.

Tracks are already archived automatically on the Colorado, but in internal memory. Works even if you don't have any card. Logging is done in a way which reduces the amount of files, instead of spending one single file for each and every day.

The Colorado method is more based on location than date. Seems logical for a navigation device.

Many thanks Anders - I had not realized that each track was automatically archived as you started a new one and had been manually archiving and then deleting the current track as I moved to a new cache.

Well, that I don't know if it does. What I know it does is that when the current log overflows, or rather soon will, then the oldest part is removed and archived automatically.

But if you clear the active log, then it will not overflow, so then perhaps you don't get it archived either.

I haven't checked this, as I normally never clear the active log. If I do, I can't see where I've been.

The only reason I can see to clear the current log, is if you want to archive a specific activity by itself. As selecting a part from a full active log doesn't work properly, that requires either that you do it on a computer or that you clear the current log before you start the activity you want to archive.

I find the first alternative to be better. It's more flexible.

As usual, let me know of additions, errors or omissions.

GO$Rs

Some of my geocaches do not show the data or the arrow when I click on them. I have tried reloading them but to no avail. All of them have shown this data before, but not now. When I go to full screeen compass view, I get no arrow or data. I am completely updated, and these are files that were entered by clicking on the Send to GPS button. Thanks.

GO$Rs

Some of my geocaches do not show the data or the arrow when I click on them. I have tried reloading them but to no avail. All of them have shown this data before, but not now. When I go to full screeen compass view, I get no arrow or data. I am completely updated, and these are files that were entered by clicking on the Send to GPS button. Thanks.

Possibly are those child waypoints of the cache? Check to see if the cache you downloaded had child waypoints.

Edited by Marky

From a different thread.

Now, if we could get some "eXplorist-like" functionality, but with datasets of 2000 caches - and have 2GB worth on the SD card, and just toggle between data sets... that would be pretty slick.

I looked at the issues list and didn't see this mentioned:

Feature request:

We definitely would like to be able to put on multiple GPX files on the unit, and be able to select which ones are active.

Bug: (in the must fix category, I'd say, since it is the source of confusion)

If the GPS reaches it's geocache limit and starts ignoring caches in GPX files, it should warn the user.

--Marky

GO$Rs

Saw this when I had used GSAK to export the .gpx file this weekend--several times I could not navigate to a cache. Reloaded with the file direct from the Pocket Query, and lo and behold I could navigate fine to those same ones. Something about the way GSAK is formatting the file versus the Pocket Query file? I don't know.

Many thanks Anders - I had not realized that each track was automatically archived as you started a new one and had been manually archiving and then deleting the current track as I moved to a new cache.

I had used the Colo 400t on a trip from Los Angeles to Santa Fe NM 2 weeks ago using v 2.3. I had unit log trip in car to airport then off... once in air, unit on from LA to Albaqurque off befor landing. then on again in car from Albq to Santa Fe. I saved a track log next AM and did same each of 3 days I was out sight seeing. then same routine on trip home. Once home, I downloaded the tracks to Mapsource to view them there as well as on Google earth. But the catch is non of the flight was saved in any of the logs. Yet when I look on the zoomed out map screen of the Colo 400t I can see a track of the filights to and from.

Any ideas as to how to export the flight tracks, I cant find them in any files though they are displayed on screen.????

I have ugraded my unit to 2.4 right after I got home, maybe this is the hitch...

I had used the Colo 400t on a trip from Los Angeles to Santa Fe NM 2 weeks ago using v 2.3. I had unit log trip in car to airport then off... once in air, unit on from LA to Albaqurque off befor landing. then on again in car from Albq to Santa Fe. I saved a track log next AM and did same each of 3 days I was out sight seeing. then same routine on trip home. Once home, I downloaded the tracks to Mapsource to view them there as well as on Google earth. But the catch is non of the flight was saved in any of the logs. Yet when I look on the zoomed out map screen of the Colo 400t I can see a track of the filights to and from.

Any ideas as to how to export the flight tracks, I cant find them in any files though they are displayed on screen.????

I have ugraded my unit to 2.4 right after I got home, maybe this is the hitch...

You can try opening the file called current.gpx in [drive]:\garmin\gpx . That should have the entire contents of the track log unless you've actually filled the log in which case you can look in garmin\gpx\archived and see if there is a file called 1.gpx (or some other number).

Note: I have run mine for several weeks and my CO finally archive the tracklog as Anders suggested it would. I don't see any obvious compression/reduction of the trackpoints although I don't have a good before an after comparison.

The behavior during archive was a bit suspect however. At one point I started the CO and I got a message saying memory was full twice. Once the CO started things seemed to be okay except my geocaches weren't loaded. I rebooted again, got the memory full message once and had similar problems. On the third reboot everything came up clean and the geocaches were loaded. This was while I was on vacation and I didn't have access to a PC. However when I arrived home I noticed the file called 1.gpx in the archived folder and the tracks in this folder were from prior to the time when I saw the memory full message so I'm assuming that's what it was doing.

GO$Rs

@g-o-cashers did you delete this issue?

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=3339601

I think I did but I added it back in a few hours ago.

GO$Rs

>>> 2/25/08: Add support for daily archive of track log similar to 60csx

Thank's a lot, GO$Rs - :( - This is really a feature i and other guys in austria and switzerland are missing. :D

(some people need it for reporting to their company/rescue teams)

@g-o-cashers did you delete this issue?

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=3339601

I think I did but I added it back in a few hours ago.

GO$Rs

>>> 2/25/08: Add support for daily archive of track log similar to 60csx

Thank's a lot, GO$Rs - :( - This is really a feature i and other guys in austria and switzerland are missing. :D

(some people need it for reporting to their company/rescue teams)

If you asked nicely, I bet someone could write you a macro that would create daily files from the Current.GPX. Sure, it's one extra step, but only one step so not that big a deal.

--Marky

Well my dividend notice for REI came today so I think I am ready to get the 400T with the firmware update.

I have been looking through the FAQs but I have not been able to find where memory cards are addressed. Am I missing it? What I am looking for is what size and kind will work. Will the HDSD (or whatever they are called) work?

Has anyone figured out for sure the issue of some have more internal memory than others and how to get one with the 4 gig internal?

Thanks to all

Well my dividend notice for REI came today so I think I am ready to get the 400T with the firmware update.

I have been looking through the FAQs but I have not been able to find where memory cards are addressed. Am I missing it? What I am looking for is what size and kind will work. Will the HDSD (or whatever they are called) work?

Has anyone figured out for sure the issue of some have more internal memory than others and how to get one with the 4 gig internal?

Thanks to all

The information on memory and SD card support is in the General Information section.

Garmin claims that the Colorado will support 4GB SD cards and I haven't seen anyone report issues with 4GB SDHC cards. There are some reports that 8GB SDHC cards work but it isn't clear to me whether the entire card works or not.

As for getting a 4GB 400t (vs a 3GB 400t) I think that will be difficult. It seems like most of the new ones are 3GB. There is some information about serial numbers in the FAQ that might help you locate one if you have the opportunity to select a low number number unit.

GO$Rs

Thanks to all

The information on memory and SD card support is in the General Information section.

Garmin claims that the Colorado will support 4GB SD cards and I haven't seen anyone report issues with 4GB SDHC cards. There are some reports that 8GB SDHC cards work but it isn't clear to me whether the entire card works or not.

As for getting a 4GB 400t (vs a 3GB 400t) I think that will be difficult. It seems like most of the new ones are 3GB. There is some information about serial numbers in the FAQ that might help you locate one if you have the opportunity to select a low number number unit.

GO$Rs

Dont know if this helps but this is a new 400T s/n 18xx its got 4gig base memory.

0cf9b665-bcb8-4999-91e1-608988cff825.jpg

I've noticed that with 2.4 my map orientation sometimes reverts to North Up mode. I always have the configuration set to Track Up but when this happens the Map setup shows the configuration has been changed to North Up. I can't figure out exactly when this happens -- anyone else notice something similar?

GO$Rs

Dont know if this helps but this is a new 400T s/n 18xx its got 4gig base memory.

So far I have these data points. My 400T is 12xx and it is 4GB. I've had two reports of 18xx 400T's which have 4GB and one 17xx that has 3GB. If people have other's S/N's to share it might help to narrow down which ranges have the smaller/larger memory config.

GO$Rs

So far I have these data points. My 400T is 12xx and it is 4GB. I've had two reports of 18xx 400T's which have 4GB and one 17xx that has 3GB. If people have other's S/N's to share it might help to narrow down which ranges have the smaller/larger memory config.

GO$Rs

My 400t has 4GB of internal memory. Serial #18Z002817.

J

I've noticed that with 2.4 my map orientation sometimes reverts to North Up mode. I always have the configuration set to Track Up but when this happens the Map setup shows the configuration has been changed to North Up. I can't figure out exactly when this happens -- anyone else notice something similar?

GO$Rs

I've seen it happen when I'm panning a map. I zoom out to 50 miles. The map display changes to North Up. Then I zoom back in and the map display stays in North Up (I do this as a workaround since I prefer North Up while panning). If I press select at this point to view details on a waypoint or cache or something then the North Up gets saved as you describe.

Greg

GO$Rs

I've seen it happen when I'm panning a map. I zoom out to 50 miles. The map display changes to North Up. Then I zoom back in and the map display stays in North Up (I do this as a workaround since I prefer North Up while panning). If I press select at this point to view details on a waypoint or cache or something then the North Up gets saved as you describe.

Greg

Thanks. I tried this and couldn't get it to behave the way you described. However, I eventually did get it to "break" but only when I selected a geocache. Selecting waypoints and POIs seemed to work like I expected. I'll put the geocache selection issue in the Issues list. Do waypoints and POIs cause the same problem for you or is it just geocaches?

GO$Rs

GO$Rs

Greg

Thanks. I tried this and couldn't get it to behave the way you described. However, I eventually did get it to "break" but only when I selected a geocache. Selecting waypoints and POIs seemed to work like I expected. I'll put the geocache selection issue in the Issues list. Do waypoints and POIs cause the same problem for you or is it just geocaches?

GO$Rs

I'm going from memory so maybe it was just selecting caches. I'll check tonight when I get home.

Greg

Just wondering if anyone has figured out the two CO 300 issues that I found last week -- no one responded with a verification or solution to the issues.

1) In Automotive profile, the zoom level is not displayed on the screen. If you use the cursor keys to pan, it pops up. When you press the 'Done' soft key it goes away.

2) Autozoom does not work on Topo 2008 or the base maps when selecting a cache or waypoint. On the old eMap, when you selected a waypoint it would zoom out to display your current location and the waypoint, and as you got closer it would zoom in, keeping both points on the screen. I assume the autozoom feature on the CO models should work the same way?

Anyone? Buhler?

Just wondering if anyone has figured out the two CO 300 issues that I found last week -- no one responded with a verification or solution to the issues.

1) In Automotive profile, the zoom level is not displayed on the screen. If you use the cursor keys to pan, it pops up. When you press the 'Done' soft key it goes away.

I'm not sure how you have your Automotive profile set but assuming that you are talking about the "automotive mode" map orientation this is not a bug. In an elevated perspective view there is no meaningful scale since the scale in the distance is not the same as the scale near your cursor. The reason you get a scale when you pan is because the map jumps back to the standard "bird's-eye" map view where a scale does make sense.

2) Autozoom does not work on Topo 2008 or the base maps when selecting a cache or waypoint. On the old eMap, when you selected a waypoint it would zoom out to display your current location and the waypoint, and as you got closer it would zoom in, keeping both points on the screen. I assume the autozoom feature on the CO models should work the same way?

Anyone? Buhler?

This one is a bug. I tried it this morning and had the same results. With off-road navigation I can't seem to get autozoom to do anything. BTW, I noticed in geocaching mode autozoom works nicely -- its just the standard waypoint/POI gotos that don't seem to work. I would give Garmin a call on this issue. I've added it to the issues list.

GO$Rs

GO$Rs

Greg

GO$Rs

Yup, you're right. It only happens when I select a geocache.

Greg