Garmin Colorado FAQ and Issues List

My compass won't stay calibrated. :D When the batteries drop to one green bar, the compass goes wacky. After putting new batteries in and calibrating it, I usually need to calibrate it again before trusting it for directions.

You shouldn't have to calibrate at low battery but I'm guessing that is just part of the overall power management problems of the Colorado. As for recal between battery switches, that's how it works. Any time you change batteries, move a long distance or let the unit sit for a long time you have recalibrate per the Garmin manual. This is similar to how the 60cs works.

GO$Rs

No, I can calibrate it before hiking, but then if I stop hiking and drive a couple of miles, I have to calibrate again if I get out to hike.

No, I can calibrate it before hiking, but then if I stop hiking and drive a couple of miles, I have to calibrate again if I get out to hike.

I would concur - that's how it behaves for me, as well. But then again - that's exactly how my Cx and CSx operated, as well. Calibrating the compass was pretty much an 'every time you get out of the car' activity - which means, I didn't do it very often. Typically only if I got to the cache site (or a particular trail interesection, or ...) and decided I needed the compass to point me those last few feet, or towards the right trail, etc.

I haven't specifically noticed the compass going wacky at low power levels - though, I wouldn't be surprised, given the other power management uses. Maybe Garmin decided to cycle the compass on and off with a 50% duty cycle, in an effort to conserve power (similar to the backlight, or "battery saver mode" in the 60-series). :D

Do you guys find that using the electronic compass is worth the trouble? I much prefer just turning the compass off and leaving it off. I never find myself wishing it was on.

Yes, a properly functioning electronic compass is quite useful and it is not any trouble when the platform properly supports the feature. Having to recalibrate every time you get out of the car is insane. Once again, functionality seems to have been sacrificed for form.

Edited by 3 Hawks

Nitpick...

If you turn off the sounds on the Colorado, and then set the alarm to wake you, the alarm will wake the unit but you will hear no sound hence not waking you up. I found out the hard way this morning. Could they give you the choice of which sound to turn off. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, LIKE THE OLDER UNITS?

Wouldn't it be just as easy (since this really needs to be part of the solution) to have sounds immediately on upon alarm/unit wake up? Having sounds off is a power saving move. If the alarm is set, most of the time the sounds are off OR you're not touching the unit (and thus not creating the sounds), so having them off makes no sense while an alarm is set. Forcing the sounds on at unit wake up seems to be the best solution.

Unfortunately I managed to corrupt my 400t as I was running this experiment so I didn't get all the way through. Here are some images I did get before things died.

Notice that when both Topo and your custom maps are displayed the DEM shading shows but I also see the contour lines from Topo2008 and your topo which seems to be different what IndyJpr has seen.

I have a somewhat modified version of the maps on my 400t so that might have been causing this behavior. That was what I was trying to determine when my GPS died.

I did check the area of the spring it just seems to show up as a dot. I didn't capture a screen shot before it died.

GO$Rs

Thanks. Did it crash because of the maps? I hope not.

One thing that surprised me was how detailed the topo 2008 maps are. I have the early version of TopoUSA and they have a much larger contour interval. They were basically useless in the East. So the need for custom topos are not as great anymore. But they are certainly better than the built in maps. The only problem is they do not show the shading. Here is a feature request: Be able to turn off all the vectors in the topo maps so only the shading remains. Then you could have custom maps with the shading and not have the duplicate topo lines.

I was interested in seeing how they worked with City Navigator, but what you showed me indicates it will work OK.

Another feature request would be that it displays all the symbols like springs instead of just a dot.

Heh, here in California, when I'm out caching it's almost always in bright sunlight so I've been able to go without the backlighting on all my daytime caching experiences so far. Since my GPS doesn't suffer from poor NiMH performance that affects some units, I'm not afraid to use full backlighting if I need it. :D

--Marky

Marky, what brand and model of NiMH batteries are you using?It is my thought that most of the battery issues following the 2.3 upgrade comes from either high expectations (why would you expect to need backlighting on 100% for 12+ hours at a time) OR poor batteries. Here "poor" would include old batteries or brand new batteries, but mostly a lower capacity model.

I am using Duracell 2650 mAh rechargeables with great performance. I have a set of the 2000 mAh pre-charged batteries that I recently bought. These I have in my truck for emergency back-up batteries when I don't have a freshly charged pair of the 2650.

I think we need a technical thread started with battery voltage levels measured from various cachers, software versions, and other data.

When I test my unit, running it on full backlight, I have WAAS and the electronic compass, as well as sounds and the barameter actively taking periodic readings. When actually using the unit, I don't think it lasts the full 16 hours, but ... the real question is: Why would I care if it didn't? When I cache for long days, I always start out the day with freshly recharged batteries AND the previous pair charging in the truck. The batteries I have charging only take a couple hours to recharge; well before the ones in my GPS unit have a chance to discharge completely. Not that I don't want the batteries to last, but as long as I'm not replacing batteries too frequently, why does it really matter if they last 16 hours or 12 hours? I will most likely be replacing the batteries about 2/3 thru my day either way or as I need new batteries. In addition, I always have a backup pair of batteries with me in case they are needed.

I do have to agree. After the 2.3 update, the battery meter is considerably better, but it doesn't really indicate 100%, 75%, 50%, 25% usable battery remaining. I would be happier if the meter reflected the remaining charge in the batteries, but that may be difficult to do considering the flatness of the performance curve for NiMH AA batteries. Those levels are bound to vary by brand and model, so what looks good for me may look horrible to others, and visa versa.

Pat

I do have to agree. After the 2.3 update, the battery meter is considerably better, but it doesn't really indicate 100%, 75%, 50%, 25% usable battery remaining. I would be happier if the meter reflected the remaining charge in the batteries, but that may be difficult to do considering the flatness of the performance curve for NiMH AA batteries. Those levels are bound to vary by brand and model, so what looks good for me may look horrible to others, and visa versa.

Pat

Garmin seems to have been able to get it right (at least in the ballpark) on their other products. Why would the Colorado be any different?

Edited by yogazoo

A question of CHIPSETS... is Garmin sending new units with Type "M" instead of type "G"?

I received a new Garmin replacement for a defective unit on Wednesday. It was a newer unit from the assembly line (Serial # in the thousands) and I noticed that when I connected to web updater it gave me the Firmware update ver. 2.3 for "CHIPSET TYPE M". I didn't notice this before when I updated my previous Colorado's (have had 2 that were defective.). I thought I remembered the dialougue being something like "CHIPSET FIRMWARE VER2.3".

I thought the new Colorado line was supposed to carry the "G" chipset which is Garmin's own engineered. Has anyone else noticed this or am I on crack?

I have noticed that the new unit behaves differently too, it does not log Barometer data when off even when the SAVE ALWAYS option is chosen. Strange.

Its also strange that the new 400t's only have 2.7GB of storage instead of the earlier 3.7GB. Is Garmin trying to cover something up by introducing new specs and strange hardware configuration changes?

Edited by yogazoo

A question of CHIPSETS... in Garmin sending new units with Type "M" instead of type "G"?

I received a new Garmin replacement for a defective unit on Wednesday. It was a newer unit from the assembly line (Serial # in the thousands) and I noticed that when I connected to web updater it gave me the Firmware update ver. 2.3 for "CHIPSET TYPE M". I didn't notice this before when I updated my previous Colorado's (have had 2 that were defective.). I thought I remembered the dialougue being something like "CHIPSET FIRMWARE VER2.3".

I thought the new Colorado line was supposed to carry the "G" chipset which is Garmin's own engineered. Has anyone else noticed this or am I on crack?

I have noticed that the new unit behaves differently, it does not log Barometer data when off even when the SAVE ALWAYS option is chosen. Strange.

Its also strange that the new 400t's only have 2.7GB of storage instead of the earlier 3.7GB. Is Garmin trying to cover something up by introducing new specs and strange hardware configuration changes?

Do you mean M or M2 ? - M2 would mean they have changed to Mediatek

If it has no Barometer in off-modus - Is there still a Alarm-clock ?

The Vista HCX has a GPS Chipset Type M2

Why did you have to return Coloroado nr.1 and nr.2 ?

Edited by freeday

I mean "M". It stated "Chipset Type M". Its funny, in the off-modus, my alarm clock works but the barometer log doesn't. Hmmm. ALSO, about 15 minutes after I turn my unit off the backlight flashes on for two seconds?? Yeah, I noticed it while lying in bed and thought I was seeing things. I turned it on and back off again and observed the same thing. WTF?

My older (by a couple weeks) Colorado units and their defects:

Unit 1) clock not keeping time when off

Unit 2) Dirt could be seen behind the LCD but in front of the backlight panel (looked like a bunch of dead pixels)

I'm starting to become very anxious about my descision to buy one of these things. Why would they switch hardware (storage on the 400t, chipsets on 300's) so early in the production runs if there wasn't some unsurmountable issues with the early units? Hmmmm. Garmin? Whats going on here?!

Edited by yogazoo

A question of CHIPSETS... in Garmin sending new units with Type "M" instead of type "G"?

I have noticed that the new unit behaves differently, it does not log Barometer data when off even when the SAVE ALWAYS option is chosen. Strange.

Now we know why the Colorado manual is so vague, does not state specs, and does not fully list or explain features. Just wait until the units hit general release. Up to know, mostly tech junkies have shelled out the high asking price to REI to obtain their Colorado. Hopes and expectations have been high, people have been overlooking and understating issues under the assumption they will be corrected in firmware updates. Now it looks like we have a "new" chipset with differing specs and the potential for a whole new bag of issues. Things will get very interesting in the next month as the average user gets their hands on the Colorado.

alarm clock works, barometer not :lol: sorry, no idea

"Chipset Type M" :D do you see any copyright information by turning on the unit (maybe a chipset information?

Don't forget the backlight flashing 15 minutes after unit shutdown. WTF? ;)

I don't see any copyright info on startup.

I called Garmin about these problems and got one of the younger techs. The feeling I got through inflection and word choice was, OH F%#@!!!!

Note: The techie also eluded to a "beta" software update to be released soon. I don't know wether to laugh :D or cry :D .

Edited by yogazoo

A flickering backlight every 15 minutes could be the unit waking up for a brief moment, to record the air pressure. But as you say it doesn't, this either has nothing to do with that, or it does indeed wake up to do that, but something doesn't work with the recording itself.

It could be sending the juice to the backlight circuit instead of the barometer circuit. Either way, I wish I had my "Type G" chips back! I feel like I'm all alone here. :rolleyes:

Had an issue with my 400t yesterday where driving down the road the unit froze up, was in Map mode. Could not change screens, power unit off or anything else. Only way I was able to get out of this freeze up was to remove the batteries and let unit discharge.

I will keep watching to see if this re-occurs.

First post on the Colorado thread :-)

Got the Colorado 400t on Sunday and have been playing with it during the week. The unit locked up twice today, once yesterday, and twice the day before. It's quite annoying. As snowd mentioned, the only way to get it back is to take out the batteries for a couple of minutes. All lockups have been while driving. Today's were following a route to and from work but yesterdays was just driving. I haven't found any commonality as to why it hangs. Today, both times, it was right after I changed directions and went a different way causing what should have been a recalculate so I chose a random point away from home and kept going. It kept recalculating fine. And yesterday, no locks at all.

I haven't seen this anywhere else on the FAQ or this thread other than snowd. Any suggestions?

Got a 400t 3.72GB, CN 2008 loaded for all of the northeast and Canada.

I haven't seen this anywhere else on the FAQ or this thread other than snowd. Any suggestions?

Probably an issue with CN on the Colorado, especially given your description. I would report it to Garmin. Definitely the first I've heard of it but not many people are using the CO with CN. Let us know if you see any more or can characterize it further and I'll add it to the list especially if others report similar freezes.

GO$Rs

After one work week of use, there are several things:

When using the Automotive view and coming to a stop waiting for traffic or a light, the unit frequently flips to N instead of the track direction. On occasion, the next turn is now out of view off the screen. Is there a setting to control this? When in track mode up with the Colorado or with my 76Csx, it doesn't change orientation at the stop.

When using the Automotive view, there's no map scale at the top between the softkey labels like in other modes. Is there a setting for this?

When I'm out geocaching with my 76Csx I usually start the route with Follow Road. When I get close or out of the car, I change navigation to be off-road. For the Colorado, I think this means using the Automotive profile then changing to geocaching. The Profile Change can be added to the profile shortcuts but it would be nice to be able to put a specific profile on the shortcuts. For example, when using the Automotive profile, I'd add a shortcut to the Geocaching profile and vice versa. That'll save a bunch of time each time I'm getting out of the car. If there's another way to do this, please point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

What software are your running? There was a North up/Track up issue fixed in 2.3 that might fix the issue you are seeing.

I haven't seen a map scale in automotive view or a setting for one.

There's a discussion about the on/off road navigation issue on one of the threads today. I think putting the profile changer on the shortcut menu is the best you can do at this point. I'm hoping they add a manual option in at some point.

GO$Rs

Had an issue with my 400t yesterday where driving down the road the unit froze up, was in Map mode. Could not change screens, power unit off or anything else. Only way I was able to get out of this freeze up was to remove the batteries and let unit discharge.

I will keep watching to see if this re-occurs.

First post on the Colorado thread :-)

Got the Colorado 400t on Sunday and have been playing with it during the week. The unit locked up twice today, once yesterday, and twice the day before. It's quite annoying. As snowd mentioned, the only way to get it back is to take out the batteries for a couple of minutes. All lockups have been while driving. Today's were following a route to and from work but yesterdays was just driving. I haven't found any commonality as to why it hangs. Today, both times, it was right after I changed directions and went a different way causing what should have been a recalculate so I chose a random point away from home and kept going. It kept recalculating fine. And yesterday, no locks at all.

Hey there Kayaker! I have experienced the problems you are talking about.

I have city navigator 2008 loaded on my 300 and when I first got the unit I had the darn thing lock up three seperate times that I can remember. I was in map mode and I was laying track at once per second. The screen just froze and didn't snap out of it until I took the batteries out.

That hasn't happened since. My thought was that the unit had some break in time to perhaps create the "current" gpx files and other file structuring upon first use. I believe this because after that initial first evening of freezes it hasn't flinched.

The freezes occurred while I was walking the dog a few days ago. I haven't taken it on my walks since. I'll go on a walk tonight, set the track for one per second and report the results.

Can anybody figure out how to delete custom profiles? After creating one the only options I have are to edit the name, or to move it up or down in the profile list. The option is there to delete any of the six profles that came standard on my Colorado, what gives? :D

Edited by ryan3295

Kayaker,

I went for a walk this evening with tracklog running at 1 per second. No hangups or freezes to report.

I did however make a pretty big discovery this evening. Tonight was the first time I was able to test the Battery life with the verified TYPE M chipset. After struggling to squeeze 2 hours from my two previous units with TYPE G chipsets, I got just OVER 5 HOURS WITH BACKLIGHT SET TO 100% CONSTANTLY ON!!!!! :D I used the same NIMH enelops as before. WOW! :D I feel bad for those stuck with the older chipsets. I just hope Garmin releases a firmware update to help with the G's.

Marky, I doubted you man, I thought there was no way anyone got over 2 hours. It confirms what I had suspected as the cause for the dichotomy, two different chipsets!! I can't log barometer data when the unit is off but I'll take battery life over baro data any day! :D

PS: I am running the same software/firmware 2.3/2.6 as before.

Edited by yogazoo

Can anybody figure out how to delete custom profiles? After creating one the only options I have are to edit the name, or to move it up or down in the profile list. The option is there to delete any of the six profles that came standard on my Colorado, what gives? :D

Shortcuts->Others->Profile Change->Options->Setup Profiles->[select profile to delete]->Delete. Note you cannot delete the profile that you currently have set.

I thought I added this to the FAQ based on a previous thread but it seems like I didn't. I'll throw it in.

GO$Rs

Another lockup today. After about 4 hours on (lithium batteries, rechargeables don't last), tracking about here and there, I wondered if the guidance text would be closer to the top of the screen if I hid the shortcut keys. Hit Options, rotated the wheel, bam. Batteries out - again. This is now beyond annoying.

My wife's 400t locked up today while she was navigating around inside the geocaching mode. She said she might have pressed the enter button twice in succession once. Didn't notice it was hung until we noticed her's wasn't getting closer to the cache anymore. I couldn't get it to unfreeze, so had to pull the batteries. I've never had any lock ups on mine.

There is no scale when using the perspecitve mode, which is often used for driving. That's because as it is a perspective mode, the scale is different at different parts of the screen.

Turn off the magnetic compass in the automotive profile. That's possible with the latest firmware. Then it doesn't flip around when you stop.

Another lockup report...

CO 400t, City Navigator 2008 DVD loaded to internal memory, 2.6/2.3

After yesterday's lockup I tried a couple of things:

Changed the batteries to alkaline, changed the battery type to alkaline, deleted the gpx file, left it in automotive mode on the windowsill, locked after two hours.

Took the batteries out, resetting the GPSr, changed to recreation mode, left on windowsill, locked after two hours.

Hooked up the unit to the laptop, tried to backup the files from the Colorado to the PC. On the gmapprom.img 2.7GB file (the base maps and topo), the file failed after a while with an I/O error. Happened again on the second copy attempt, didn't on the third so I now have a successful backup. Deleted the supplemental map file (550k) I had downloaded from City Navigator 2008 DVD.

Put the unit on the windowsill in automotive mode. Unit ran out of juice in about 3 hours, changed back to lithium batteries, has run another 3 hours without locking up.

I'll run it a couple more days without CN and see how it behaves.

Can anybody figure out how to delete custom profiles?

Shortcuts->Others->Profile Change->Options->Setup Profiles->[select profile to delete]->Delete. Note you cannot delete the profile that you currently have set.

GO$Rs

Hmm, strange but my 300 (2.30/2.60) doesn't have the same choices.

Setup->Shortcuts->Others->move up, move down, insert.

I would also like to delete a custom profile and I can't figure out how to do it.

Another problem that I discovered with my 300, is with the map detail set to most zooming the map out at over 20 miles on the scale, some of my map "chunks" from topo would not load. I can confirm that that are working as there are there when I zoom back in. I don't know if it will make any difference but I was panning on the map at the time. Anybody else able to replicate this?

--Ryan3295

Another lockup report...

CO 400t, City Navigator 2008 DVD loaded to internal memory, 2.6/2.3

CO 400t, 2.3/2.6 (no additional maps loaded)

Joani's locked up twice today. The second time she tried to reset it herself. She wasn't strong enough to remove the clip or open the battery door.

Both crashes happened in Geocaching mode, usually when trying to back out to the list from a selected cache.

--Marky

Another problem that I discovered with my 300, is with the map detail set to most zooming the map out at over 20 miles on the scale, some of my map "chunks" from topo would not load. I can confirm that that are working as there are there when I zoom back in. I don't know if it will make any difference but I was panning on the map at the time. Anybody else able to replicate this?

--Ryan3295

Which topo are you using? I saw something similar with Topo 3.0 loaded (not the built Topo 2008 I have on my 400t). Someone had indicated that there is a limit to the number of map segments a unit can display and that this was an issue on other Garmin handhelds as well. Setting the detail to most makes it more obvious because the basemap doesn't "take over" until you zoom out further so you can have more segments in your display than at the lower detail settings.

GO$Rs

GO$Rs

I would also like to delete a custom profile and I can't figure out how to do it.

You aren't in the right menu. Don't go to Setup. I always start my sequences with Shortcuts (right softkey) which gets you to the wheel display, from there select Others and so on.

GO$Rs

I dont have the option to insert a profile. But here are my steps I to took to delete a profile:

shortcuts>others>profile change > options > setup profiles > highlight the one you want to delete> enter > then you should have the option to move the profile up, down, edit the name, and finally delete. Hope this helps. :P

--Ryan3295

Which topo are you using? I saw something similar with Topo 3.0 loaded (not the built Topo 2008 I have on my 400t). Someone had indicated that there is a limit to the number of map segments a unit can display and that this was an issue on other Garmin handhelds as well. Setting the detail to most makes it more obvious because the basemap doesn't "take over" until you zoom out further so you can have more segments in your display than at the lower detail settings.

GO$Rs

I am using topo 2008. I don't believe that it could be from the map segments not being there, otherwise I when not see the topo data that was missing when I zoom back in.

GO$Rs

You aren't in the right menu. Don't go to Setup. I always start my sequences with Shortcuts (right softkey) which gets you to the wheel display, from there select Others and so on.

GO$Rs

Thank you, I finally figured out how to do it.

Edited by Barrikady

I am using topo 2008. I don't believe that it could be from the map segments not being there, otherwise I when not see the topo data that was missing when I zoom back in.

Agreed. It isn't that the segments aren't there -- they wouldn't display at the lower zoom levels. What I'm saying is that when you zoom out there is some sort of limit on how many segments the Colorado can draw on the screen at one time (even if they are loaded).

GO$Rs

Here are some pics of what I am talking about:

This shows all map data working fine.

3689.jpg

Here is an example of what I am talking about:

3643.jpg

Finally an extreme example:

5766.jpg

I agree that this could be a problem with the map tile segment limit, but does appear to be to random tiles that are not drawing.

Thank goodness I took the time to read thru this before buying a new gps. We have to replace our Magellan Meridian Gold before this next weekend. This moring I was set to buy a 60cx and forget the Colorado, just too much money. Then started thinking about how nice it would be to not be carrying a PDA around also and decided that was worth the extra money. Came close to buying a 300 at Fry's this afternoon. Then across the street to Bass Pro Shop and looked at the 400C. Could not believe how much info was NOT in the owners manual and of course they had only had it for a couple of days so didn't know anything about it. No one in our area has bought a Colorado yet so I decided I'd better see what was going on here. What a wealth of information. You've all convinced me to go with a 60cx. Thanks for all the work everyone has gone to.

This can be replicated on virtually any mapping Garmin GPS. For performance sake, they limit the number of map tiles shown simultaneously on the screen to some fixed number, suitable to memory and CPU capacity on the particular model at hand.

If it didn't do that, it would probably become slow as melasses. If this characteristic is a problem to you, reduce the map detail setting. This will make it revert to the basemap sooner, so you still have a consistent map to look at.

Ah, now I noticed that g-o-cashers had already told you this.

Edited by apersson850

Given the length of some of the Colorado threads its difficult to find a lot of the information on issues, tips and tricks so I decided to compile a simple FAQ and Issues list.

Its crude but I'm keeping Colorado FAQ .

As posted elsewhere I'm keeping a Colorado Issues/Feature Request List .

As usual, let me know of additions, errors or omissions.

Once I get some more time I'll look at turning them into a wiki. If you have recommendations of good (free) wiki farms let me know. I'm looking at wikispaces.com right now and it seems like a reasonable choice but if you have first hand experience contact me through my profile.

GO$Rs

I sorely miss the countdown in yards or meters to the next turn in automotive mode as we had on the GPSMap 60CSx. With the map scale constantly changing, it's pretty hard to judge exactly when the next turn is coming up.