Garmin Colorado FAQ and Issues List

I've moved the FAQ and Issues List to a space on wikispaces.com

The URL is http://garmincolorado.wikispaces.com .

To reach the FAQ directly: http://garmincolorado.wikispaces.com/FAQ .

To reach the Issues list directly: http://garmincolorado.wikispaces.com/Issues+List

I've updated my signature and put forward links in google docs which I won't be maintaining after today.

Let me know if you see any problems.

GO$Rs

Some other items to add:

1. When going to a waypoint or geocache, how about a prompt to go "On Road" vs. "Off Road". The only way I see how to switch between the two is going into setup>rounting>guidance method.

2. Screen listing "Turn by Turns"

Now i know what Garmin is thinking about the Bugs and the new Colorado: :unsure:

(mail sent to techsupp.europe (X) garmin.com)

MAIL TO GARMIN:

I am interested to buy a Colorado BUT there is NO DAILY AUTOMATIC GPX-Logging like on the gpsmap60csx

Now i hesitate to buy a colorado because it is a very important function for me.

Do you know if Garmin will implement a function that allows to create automatic gpx-track-loggin like on a gpsmap60CSX or vistaHCX (e.g. 20080101.gpx)

Which email-adress do i need to report this function

There exists also a list of bugs http://docs.google.com/View?docid=dgs8g624_27dj2b9php

i am not shure if GARMIN knows about it.

REPLY:

Thank you for contacting Garmin(Europe)Ltd.

I am not aware of any plans to change the software to allow the tracklog recording to card, like with the GPSMAP 60CSx.

I have looked at the link below which include many 'reported' issues to the forum, a have tried to replicate a few but was not able to and others are more suggestions than software changes.

The Colorado is not yet released anyway, by the time it is available if you have any issues please let us know.

Kind regards

:D did i choose a false email address?

I do not know why they could not replicate the problems

I had chosen to return my 300 to Garmin due to some manufacturing residue or material inside on the LCD screen. It actually made it look like a bad pixel. Anyhow, when I called Garmin about a replacement they told me that, and I quote "The Colorado 300 has not yet been released and will not be available to send you a replacement unit for another three weeks." Huh? I'm perplexed and hopefull at the same time. Hopeful that this is indeed considered a pre-release phase as far as the software/firmware is concerned. That would explain alot to me and puts me slightly at ease. "Everything's gonna be alright yeah!" :unsure:

I've been watching this and trying to find a pattern to why it happens but have been unable to identify anything.

Others I've seen are saying their able to put 1000's of geocaches on their Colorado's and see them all fine in the list. On mine I can load all that I have in GSAK which is about a 1000 geocaches yet in the list on the Colorado am unable to see anything beyond 65-140 caches, this varies from day to day which is also odd.

I've used the zip files that contain the downloads from Geocaching.com as well as from filtered data from GSAK and still have this issue.

Am open to ideas on what I may be doing wrong but am suspecting a problem with the Colorado.

I've been watching this and trying to find a pattern to why it happens but have been unable to identify anything.

Others I've seen are saying their able to put 1000's of geocaches on their Colorado's and see them all fine in the list. On mine I can load all that I have in GSAK which is about a 1000 geocaches yet in the list on the Colorado am unable to see anything beyond 65-140 caches, this varies from day to day which is also odd.

I've used the zip files that contain the downloads from Geocaching.com as well as from filtered data from GSAK and still have this issue.

Am open to ideas on what I may be doing wrong but am suspecting a problem with the Colorado.

I'm having similar (but not quite as dramatic) issues. I have a sneaking suspicion that it is because the GPS is encountering a cache description that it can't deal with, so gives up processing completely.

--Marky

In the default list view for geocaches/waypoints you can only see caches/waypoint that are within 20 miles from your current location. In order to see all geocaches/waypoints you need to go to Options->Spell. Unfortunately you'll need to know at least one character in the cache name, on the 60cs you can get an entire list of waypoints sorted by name (I'm going to add this to the Issues as a minor defect).

GO$Rs

And here's a huge request so don't laugh please, can they allow many (or a hundred?) saved tracks to be present in the vast memory of our Colorado's?

How long?

Are you talking about them just being stored there, or available for conversion to routes, display on screen and so on?

With my work in GIS and GPS surveying, as well as hiking in the Adirondacks, I have been using saved tracks (in my Garmins; Legend, 60C, 60Cx) to see on the map screen. I can create tracks, export CAD layers, or GIS polylines, assign different colors in Mapsource, name them, and otherwise edit them before uploading to my units. We are currently allowed 20 such tracks of 250 track points each. Holding to this 250 track point length is fine, having a greater number would be awesome. My first hope is that they can get saved tracks to display, then if possible to increase the number of saved tracks to be loaded/saved.

This is a great aid when in the field to be able to view them on the map screen. For hiking it shows the track to visually follow on the map, not so much to "navigate" to, although it can be. For my survey work I can have a property parcel boundary polyline as a saved track to see on the map screen. By zooming in close I can put myself "on-line" in the field or woods to get close enough (generally) to discover property monuments or old evidence of old property corners. I hope this explains my request more clearly.

Timpat....Isn't it 20 tracks of 500 TP each that are "saveable" in the 60/76 series? The 250 limit pertains to points on a Route.

Holy mackerel, what is this? Someone that uses a GPS for something other than a game! Me too..... I map snowmobile ,ATV, and hiking trails and locate missing irrigation structures plotted from their "legal descriptions".

Since I don't have a Colorado .....yet.....I can only read these forums and ask questions of Anders and other knowlegable actual users. However , I believe that the new "track logging " system on the Colorado will work fantastically.

If I understand correctly, a manually archived file "saves" ALL the data (including time,speed,elevation), similar to what was previously saved on the card. This includes NOT being limited to 500 TP.

If you "clear the tracklog" or, on the Colorado, "clear current track" before starting to log something, that action will erase all the trackpoints in the unit (EXCEPT Manually archived tracks and any trackpoints already Auto archived in GPX files. It clears or restarts the "counter" back to 0 that is counting toward the approx 9800TP "trigger point" that creates an "auto archive" GPX file.

If my understanding is correct, that means you could have 20 "Saved" track with up to 9800+ TP.... EACH with all the data and then have 20 "Auto Archived" files also. Under normal circumstances, the 20 Auto A tracks would take months or years to generate.

Not as accessible as a saved track but but all the data would be there if you needed to "break out" a section separately on your PC.

I agree that being able to display multiple saved tracks at the same time is VERY important.

Hopefully Anders or ?? can jump in and verify or dispute whether my above ramblings are correct.

If I understand correctly, a manually archived file "saves" ALL the data (including time,speed,elevation), similar to what was previously saved on the card. This includes NOT being limited to 500 TP.

Anders mentioned at one point that there might be some "compression" of trackpoints if they are all clustered together. I haven't seen this when archiving my tracklog but I also haven't had it long enough to have enough points to be a meaningful test. I'm using it all the time to see if I can fill things up and test the archiving features (both automatic and manual). I have verified that the timestamp and elevation are saved. I don't believe that speed is.

If you "clear the tracklog" or, on the Colorado, "clear current track" before starting to log something, that action will erase all the trackpoints in the unit (EXCEPT Manually archived tracks and any trackpoints already Auto archived in GPX files. It clears or restarts the "counter" back to 0 that is counting toward the approx 9800TP "trigger point" that creates an "auto archive" GPX file.

Right.

If my understanding is correct, that means you could have 20 "Saved" track with up to 9800+ TP.... EACH with all the data and then have 20 "Auto Archived" files also. Under normal circumstances, the 20 Auto A tracks would take months or years to generate.

Not as accessible as a saved track but but all the data would be there if you needed to "break out" a section separately on your PC.

I'm not sure if there is any limit on the manually saved gpx files, Anders and others have speculated that there is a 20 file limit on the automatically saved files and Garmin's specs seem to confirm that. The manual archives just get dumped in the Garmin/Current directory with a name that includes a timestamp. It includes whatever happens to be in the tracklog at that instant.

It'll take some more experimentation over time to figure out exactly what is happening I think!

GO$Rs

In the default list view for geocaches/waypoints you can only see caches/waypoint that are within 20 miles from your current location. In order to see all geocaches/waypoints you need to go to Options->Spell. Unfortunately you'll need to know at least one character in the cache name, on the 60cs you can get an entire list of waypoints sorted by name (I'm going to add this to the Issues as a minor defect).

GO$Rs

If it were showing me the caches out to 20 miles I could live with that but when this occurs I can only see caches that are anywhere from 1.2 miles to 3.4 miles away whether by name or cache id.

If it were showing me the caches out to 20 miles I could live with that but when this occurs I can only see caches that are anywhere from 1.2 miles to 3.4 miles away whether by name or cache id.

Are you looking on the map or the Geocache list page?

Geocache list page.

I noticed this today while out caching. When you have the CO with "Track Up" and you are navigating to a waypoint, POI, or just tracking along then if you go to pan to a different waypoint or POI the maps switch to North Up. It is a little disorientating. Would be nice it stayed in "Track Up" mode.

The CO freezes on start up when you get the "Batteries Low: To conserve power tones have been disabled and backlight has been limited." (Happened three times in a row)

The CO also froze on "Show Hint" (Happened twice)

I also miss the Power On or Power Up chime.

Edited by BiT

Personally, I think panning in track up is bewildering. One moment you pan the map in this direction, the other in another direction. The 60 CSx does that, but I often zoom out until I reach the north up limit, then back in again, to get my bearings properly referenced. I often have the magnetic compass enabled, which means that as soon as I tilt the unit to press the wheel to pan, what's up usually spin around.

The Colorado is perfect here, as I can rely on that when panning, north is up.

My descriptions of the track archiving functions are based upon how the Zumo works. The "speculative" nature is then if they have made changes, that I'm unaware of, in the Colorado.

The Zumo is limited to 20 automatic archive files, or a few megabytes of free memory. If there is less, you can't do an update, for example.

The data reduction is not within a track log. It's between logs. On the Zumo, if you drive somewhere, you get a log that's archived automatically, eventually. After that drive, you turn the unit off. Then you turn it on again, sit at the kitchen table and mess with it and finally turn it off again.

Next day, you turn it on and go somewhere again. This drive will also be logged in the archive, but not the erratic drift around the kitchen table, as it will not take you out of an imaginary box, so to speak. It's thus considered to be meaningless noise, so no valuable space is wasted storing it.

If the Colorado does the same in the arcives, I don't know. Also, saving a track manually probably does save everything between start and finish. There is no such save function on the Zumo.

Just returned from the Wherigo event here in San Jose. The units they used for the Wherigo demos had new firmware loaded (that hasn't been released yet), and the startup times were WAY faster. I think they had 1 GPX file with 500 geocaches in it, and the start up was under 20 seconds. Also, clicking on a geocache brought in up immediately, as did clicking on the Show Description. I can't wait to get this firmware update. Jake from Garmin seemed to think that the update was nearly ready.

Jeremy also said that they are working with Garmin to provide a "Log all the caches I found today" feature similar to the Trimble navigator. So, at the end of the day, you can connect your GPS and have geocaching.com walk you through logging all your caches rather than you needing to open all the cache pages manually. Sounds like a nice time saving feature. I'm looking forward to future updates. This platform has a lot of potential.

--Marky

Jeremy also said that they are working with Garmin to provide a "Log all the caches I found today" feature similar to the Trimble navigator. So, at the end of the day, you can connect your GPS and have geocaching.com walk you through logging all your caches rather than you needing to open all the cache pages manually. Sounds like a nice time saving feature. I'm looking forward to future updates. This platform has a lot of potential.

--Marky

That would be a VERY cool feature.

Just returned from the Wherigo event here in San Jose. The units they used for the Wherigo demos had new firmware loaded (that hasn't been released yet), and the startup times were WAY faster. I think they had 1 GPX file with 500 geocaches in it, and the start up was under 20 seconds. Also, clicking on a geocache brought in up immediately, as did clicking on the Show Description. I can't wait to get this firmware update. Jake from Garmin seemed to think that the update was nearly ready.

--Marky

Was there any comment about PQ/GPX geocaches showing up on the screen?

That's good news Marky, thanks for the update. You've got to figure if they are going to have a general release of the 400t around mid-month they would want a new firmware load with as many of these issues as possible fixed before the masses get them. I would assume mid-week this week or possibly the following week.

GO$Rs

Just returned from the Wherigo event here in San Jose.

Me, too. Jeremy also said that they were going to increase the amount of geocaches you could load from 1000 to 2000.

?????? I didn't think there was a finite limit on the number of geocaches one could load onto the Colorado. I thought the limit was that of your SD card.

Just returned from the Wherigo event here in San Jose.

Me, too. Jeremy also said that they were going to increase the amount of geocaches you could load from 1000 to 2000.

?????? I didn't think there was a finite limit on the number of geocaches one could load onto the Colorado. I thought the limit was that of your SD card.

I think this may be why I was missing geocaches when I put 2000 in mine. I guess I need to go back to just 1000 and maybe it will be happy again until the firmware upgrade that updates the limit.

--Marky

I haven't heard of any issues with shutoffs on the map screen.

My 400t has done that once. I figured it was a battery glitch or something and forgot about it. Unfortunately, I don't remember which firmware I had at the time, so I guess this isn't that helpful. :blink:

I think this may be why I was missing geocaches when I put 2000 in mine. I guess I need to go back to just 1000 and maybe it will be happy again until the firmware upgrade that updates the limit.

Nope, that wasn't the reason. Today, I filtered down to 941 caches and when I try to scroll through them, I only get around 120. There must be some cache that messing up their parser so that it just gives up and stops loading any further geocaches.

Nope, that wasn't the reason. Today, I filtered down to 941 caches and when I try to scroll through them, I only get around 120. There must be some cache that messing up their parser so that it just gives up and stops loading any further geocaches.

Not that it's a good thing, but glad to see I'm not the only one seeing this on the number of caches you are seeing or not seeing.

I loaded 500 caches both as Geocaches and as Waypoints. This was a GPX file from GC.com, and consisted of the 500 caches nearest to my home, which were as far away as 10.9 miles.

After turning the unit on and acquiring satellites, I counted only 244 in the Geocache list and the list of Geocaches under the "Where To" area (I did not assume these would contain the same quantity, so I checked). Both searches contained the same caches, but the list excluded caches beyond 9.10 miles from my location. However, searching for caches by GC code or Name, yielded all caches beyond 9.1 miles.

I am going to move my location to see if the list of caches changes depending upon where you are located.

Running Software v2.3/GPS Software v2.6.

I am going to move my location to see if the list of caches changes depending upon where you are located.

Running Software v2.3/GPS Software v2.6.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case. I know WRT to waypoints this is how the 60cs(x) works, and I've verified that the Colorado works the same way for waypoints (but not geocaches). There's some limit on the number of waypoints placed in the nearest waypoints list based on number or distance. The only way to see all waypoints is to search by name. The problem on the Colorado is you have to input one letter to start that search, which makes it impossible to see all waypoints without filtering (unless you know that it is a character not used in any waypoint name).

What worried me was an earlier post which indicated it wasn't just the geocaches furthest from the current location that were missing. That would be bug.

GO$Rs

I am really glad to see the limit raised from 1000 to 2000 caches for the Colorado. Sounds like Garmin and Groundspeak are listening to their customers as this appears to be a change from what was said in Seattle last week.

The unlimited number based on SD card size applies to POI files not geocaches. That requires the GSAK macro work around with the custom POI symbols. I will still use the POI feature for long trips like getting to Geowoodstock VI. I will be able to have the entire route worth of caches in the GPS at one time. That will be so cool.

Looking forward to the next firmware update to see if there might be any other surprises we may get. It's like waiting for Christmas morning only not knowing what day Christmas is :blink: I am still asking Santa Signal for my welcome screen :blink:

Edited by Celtic Cacher

Are all the caches inside the most distant (ie last) cache on the list present or are there some missing?

GO$Rs

I am really glad to see the limit raised from 1000 to 2000 caches for the Colorado.

Why is there any limit at all?

There is enough memory on the unit.

City Navigator NA do contain 6 million POI, so handeling 100 000 geocahce should be no problem at all.

When I travel for holyday, I do like to download all cache for the are I will visit and travel trough.

On my 60CSx I have used POI for caching, but it's not a very good solution.

I've seen the posts on the rechargable batteries giving some problems. I'm using plain old alkalines. My power cut out spontaneosly yesterday after about 4 hours use (occassional backlight on and tones were on). Today I put in new batteries and after about 1 hours' use a message came up saying low battery. The battery meter showed that they were full power. Is this a software issue? I haven't uploaded any of the updates yet. Thanks.

I am really glad to see the limit raised from 1000 to 2000 caches for the Colorado.

City Navigator NA do contain 6 million POI, so handeling 100 000 geocahce should be no problem at all.

When I travel for holyday, I do like to download all cache for the are I will visit and travel trough.

???

There is no limits on the number of caches.

I've seen the posts on the rechargable batteries giving some problems. I'm using plain old alkalines. My power cut out spontaneosly yesterday after about 4 hours use (occassional backlight on and tones were on). Today I put in new batteries and after about 1 hours' use a message came up saying low battery. The battery meter showed that they were full power. Is this a software issue? I haven't uploaded any of the updates yet. Thanks.

You should update to 2.3/2.6, there were improvements in the battery/power management. There are still issues but most people noticed a general improvement over 2.1/2.5

GO$Rs

A few notes here. I was playing with my 400t and finally got it to lock up on a geocache. Note that I excluded the & and ; characters in my gpx upload, part of what is suggested in your FAQ. So when I went to check the cache online I found it to be a letterbox hybrid with no odd characters in it. Does the letterbox hybrid logo lock 'em up?

Also...when I got my unit it was loaded with v 2.2/2.5 software so I upgraded and now have 2.3/2.5 I've tried your link to upgrade to v2.6 to get the 2.3/2/6 combo...but it only forwards me to the 2.3 stuff. I've searched (a lot, actually) but can't find the 2.6 GPS software upgrade anywhere on the garmin site.

Are all the caches inside the most distant (ie last) cache on the list present or are there some missing?

Yep, I verified that I could scroll down the list to where some caches were 45 miles away, the distance of my PQs. Actually, the nearest cache was 3.8 miles away, when there were a bunch of caches closer in the PQ.

I don't know this for sure, but clearly your comparison to the POI's in the map database is irrelevant. Considering the much larger amount of data that can be provided for the caches, they need more space.

I haven't studied how POI data is stored in the maps, but I assume that some kind of database support, for searching and so, is included. The geocache gpx files contains nothing of that kind, so it has to be built by the unit. It then probably holds at least parts of that in working memory, which isn't the same as the flash disk.

Also...when I got my unit it was loaded with v 2.2/2.5 software so I upgraded and now have 2.3/2.5 I've tried your link to upgrade to v2.6 to get the 2.3/2/6 combo..
I got one with 2.3/2.6 FW in it.

Last weekend I dropped in a fully charged 2300 mAh NiMh''s, and went to hide a cache. You know what!? It went completely DEAD in 55 minutes! All this with backlite set as "0", no beeps, occasionally switching between the windows and configs. This turned me crazy.... :ph34r::)

Assuming my NiMh's were not 100% OK, - I took them from my DSLR camera, and these are may be 5 month old...I decided to make some lab measurements.

Instead of AA's , connected my Colorado-300 to lab grade DC power supply, with digital voltage and current meters.

Made the measurements in all 3 modes, (Alkaline, Li-Ion, NiMH), reducing the voltage on the regulated lab power supply from 3.0V down to.... 2.1V ( this 2.1 was my hope !).

Here is my readings:

Alkaline

@ 2.55 V - backlite goes off, warning pops-up, only one RED bar left on Colorado300's battery meter

@ 2.29 V - GPS unit goes totally OFF

NiMh

@ 2.57 V - backlite goes off, warning pops -up, only one RED bar left on Colorado300's battery meter

@ 2.31 V - GPS unit goes totally OFF

LiIon

@ 2.60 V - backlite goes off, warning pops -up, only one RED bar left on Colorado300's battery meter

@ 2.32 V - GPS unit goes totally OFF

This makes me think - does the "Alkaline-NiMh-LiIon" setting changes anything at all ???

The reading differences between these 3 cases are so small - it could easy be a variation of the voltage reduction rate (slope) (I was reducing the voltage at the rate of 0.01V per second, i.e 0.1V drop in ~10sec.. Done manually, and could be that rotation of the voltage control was not extremely smooth)

In any case, this makes me wandering of one think - how much the NiMh's can be used at all ?

If at 2.55V already the warmig pops up, and the backlite goes down? WTF ???

IF the operationall voltage range on COLORADO could be extended from 2.32V down to ~2.15V - it would add many many hours of work.

IMHO, 1.16V is NOT the level, where NiMh cell could be called a completely exhausted

As we all know, 1.2V is a "Nominal Cell Voltage", and it can we discharged down to 1.05-1.1V without any permanent damage.

Was the Garmin's "FIX" in released 2.3/2.6 firmware only a simple mod, where "Alkaline-NiMh-LiIOn" setting was simply disabled?? And now it always use "NiMh level" , regardless of what you see on your Colorado's display?

I can understand such "fix" could improved the "lifetime of Alkalines", as most likely - the "low voltage triger level" was even higher before, then is the present 2.55V

Final note:

I can't remember any other case in my life, when a new product has caused so much dissapointment :)

(not only battery issue, but all that other things, what we read here on this forum dozens of times)

Edited by ly2big

Also...when I got my unit it was loaded with v 2.2/2.5 software so I upgraded and now have 2.3/2.5 I've tried your link to upgrade to v2.6 to get the 2.3/2/6 combo...but it only forwards me to the 2.3 stuff. I've searched (a lot, actually) but can't find the 2.6 GPS software upgrade anywhere on the garmin site.

You'll need to run the Webupdater (see FAQ) to get 2.6 GPS software. I haven't seen a direct link to it.

GO$Rs

Yep, I verified that I could scroll down the list to where some caches were 45 miles away, the distance of my PQs. Actually, the nearest cache was 3.8 miles away, when there were a bunch of caches closer in the PQ.

Thanks, I'll add it to the Issues List since that definitely sounds like an issue!

GO$Rs

Here is my readings:

Thanks for sharing. I'm surprised how close the different settings are, it does seem that they might be the same although people do seem to see slightly different (better) results with NiMH batteries and the battery type set to Alkaline.

Out of curiosity do you have a 60cs(x) or some other GPSr with battery type settings to compare this data to?

Also, what type of current draw are you seeing? Some basic parameters to change and verify.

- Compass on/off

- WAAS on/off

- GPS on/off

- Backlight on/off/50%

GO$Rs

Final note:

I can't remember any other case in my life, when a new product has caused so much dissapointment (not only battery issue, but all that other things, what we read here on this forum dozens of times)

Go out and buy a Triton. You'll be happy with your Colorado after that :ph34r: