Wimpy "Weather Cap" on Colorado's

Didjerrydo

I know this is perhaps a bit trivial but does it bug you a bit that the "weather cap" on the new Garmin Colorado's seems pretty wimpy? Mine comes loose (open) so easily that it is practically useless. Seems as though Garmin could have better engineered this part. If it's open can water get in the unit or just corrode and screw up the plug sockets?

I played around with the Colorado 400t yesterday, and found that weather cap wasn't as good as on my 60CSx, and also the scroll wheel could get dirt behind it, but other than that it seemed like a neat cross over GPS halfway between a 60CSx and a street pilot. May get a 400t sometime in the future.

I know this is perhaps a bit trivial but does it bug you a bit that the "weather cap" on the new Garmin Colorado's seems pretty wimpy?

I had the same concerns originally with my 2610. It has the same kind of "flap" thing that pops out very easily. However, after three years running it on the motorcycle through all sorts of weather (including hurricane rain and mountain snows), it appears to work. I'm guessing that either is doesn't take much to keep the water out, or that the sockets themselves are also waterproof and that the flap is acting more like a dust cover. Yep, it seems cheesy, but it's worked so far. It should take me about 6 months of motorcycle abuse to determine how well the Colorado can take it. ;)

I know this is perhaps a bit trivial but does it bug you a bit that the "weather cap" on the new Garmin Colorado's seems pretty wimpy? Mine comes loose (open) so easily that it is practically useless. Seems as though Garmin could have better engineered this part. If it's open can water get in the unit or just corrode and screw up the plug sockets?

I find that the rubber cap over the ports barely seals down at all. It just sits on top of the ports. It doesn't take much of a bump to pop it open. It should have been designed to fit deeper into the opening -- more like the covers on the back of the 60-series.

I'm also afraid I'll rip it off, especially when trying to grab on somewhere to pull off the battery cover.

And finally... the rubber over the on/off switch feels thin. It seems like it will eventually tear/wear through. But we'll see on that one.