wherigo on a pocket pc with vga (640x480) display

churinga

That's a large display for a Pocket PC. What do you have? Including that information would really help.

As for the in-cartridge graphics included by the user-developers, I don't know if those will get better. They're usually targeted for a specific display resolution. I wonder how things will look when they go to a cell phone? The graphics may need to be resized for that type of device.

Edited by Ranger Fox

it's a fujitsu-siemens pocket loox 718, but there are lots of other pocket pc models around with this display resolution.

so i think it's really a requirement to support this.

as it's 2x the resolution of a standard ppc in both directions, i think this shouldn't be such a big thing to realize.

btw: all software i used until now had no problem with this resolution.

it's a fujitsu-siemens pocket loox 718, but there are lots of other pocket pc models around with this display resolution.

as it's 2x the resolution of a standard ppc in both directions, i think this shouldn't be such a big thing to realize.

Jeremy did say on another thread that they are working to improve Wherigo Player VGA support in the very near future.

This MAY only be part of the issue though, it depends whether the Wherigo Player will be able to handle the resizing of media in cartridges to look decent on your VGA screen. I would imagine that most cartridge builders will tend to gear their cartridges toward QVGA for now as this is still very much the standard for PDA's and far outnumbers VGA devices.

Hi ppl!

I am starting to get more spare time to try some Wherigo coding for real, but as far as i know, there is a lot of improvements to be made. I already instaled the Player on a borrowed IPAQ (QVGA) and my own Acer (VGA), and the graphics and text on Acer does not give the feel i except.

This could be one of the first things to be handled.

IMO the argument of the majority of PDA are QVGA is not a reliable one, since there is a lot of PDA on the user hands already VGA. If that is a valid argument, why support the Colorado now? We could wait until it becomes a sales hit and then do the builder improvements for it...

I think for the development and feedback of all the coders outhere, the main issues to be handled are: the QVGA/VGA adaptation, the international units issue (metric/imperial), the non-english characters problem (also common around the globe) and some Hw issues as they are identified.

Trying to get more people to code and detect problems on player and builder can only be achieved by suporting the main situations of PDA users everywhere firstly, and the main diferences but common between devices (resolution and regional units/settings).... do not neglet the target-VGA coders... i am one of them and that can make the decision of continue to code or stop...

I have the same issue with my HP hx4700 (480x640 resolution). Wherigo is totaly unreadable on the screen

On my Acer n300 (640x480, Windows Mobile 5) the graphics look corrupted also.

Two examples so you guys got something to look at (and laugh):

inventorycrapgl4.jpgyouseecrapbx5.jpg

(these images do NOT show the whole screen and I resized them to 50% of the original resolution)

Note the tiny directions arrow in the right example - isn't that cute? :o

Of course I tried different font size settings in Windows to make it look better, but without success.

Edited by Starglider

I have the same problem (iPAQ 4700). It would appear essential for the Wherigo software to allow the player to be configurable for different display sizes.

I haven't tried it out in the field yet, but it looks like it will be useable even though you wouldn't want to allow anyone else to see it!

On the beta version, it wasn't such a nuisance: although I did have to take into account the different screen resolutions with the photo files in the cartridge I created, and the direction arrow looked a bit tiny and feeble.