Roadside caches with no point

Larks

Running the risk of sounding negative, I thought I'd open this up for discussion...

When placing a cache (or finding one), I like to ask myself: Is this either a place of beauty or of interest, or have a I learned something (like some interesting history) that I wouldn't have known otherwise. In short, would i have enjoyed coming here if not for the cache? If the answer is yes, then it warrants a cache placement.

However, there are certain very pointless caches out there , mostly film canisters, that seem to have been placed on the side of the road for the sole reason of being a "quick cache".

Personally, I can't handle these caches, but perhaps I'm man alone on this one?

So I was wondering what the general feeling is regarding these caches? Yes or no?

I have found one that made no sense to me. Under a pile of rocks right next to a busy street. There was nothing of intrest historical, senic or otherwise. It was an easy find but I felt empty afterwards. Like I had found a 100 dollar bill lying on the pavement .... only this was a Zimbabwean Dollar. Worth nothing. Some have been truly rewarding however so yep roadside caches can be great.

a possible exception might be if there are no other caches in the area. I was looking at the cache map of my county. There is a pretty even spread, denisty wise, around the area except there is a large gap in the middle of the county I guess because there are no public parks in the area. While it shouldn't be that hard to make the cache instresting in some way, I could see where the cache placed in this gap may end up being like something you are talking about.

Running the risk of sounding negative, I thought I'd open this up for discussion...

When placing a cache (or finding one), I like to ask myself: Is this either a place of beauty or of interest, or have a I learned something (like some interesting history) that I wouldn't have known otherwise. In short, would i have enjoyed coming here if not for the cache? If the answer is yes, then it warrants a cache placement.

However, there are certain very pointless caches out there , mostly film canisters, that seem to have been placed on the side of the road for the sole reason of being a "quick cache".

Personally, I can't handle these caches, but perhaps I'm man alone on this one?

So I was wondering what the general feeling is regarding these caches? Yes or no?

I am in the process of planning a trip from P.E. to Upington and in finding which route to drive I have been keeping caches in mind.

The trip will be for the end of 2008 and we'll travel up along the lines of 'going nowhere slowly', with the trip divided into 4 distinct legs of about 250 kms per leg. The idea being that if we find a nice caravan park we'll spend a night or perhaps even 2.

Coming back will be 'down' a different route with possibly only one stop before we get home.

With this in mind I am looking for caches along the way up and perhaps roadside caches at nice road stops along the way would not be a bad idea. The idea being that frequent rests are taken to avoid driver fatigue.

So these would qualify as roadside caches, but perhaps the idea is to take a break every 2 hours or so.

So my vote would be yes.

Ah thats it Larks, nothing like some heated debate in the forums again!

remember the good old days when insults used to fly freely - lets name 'em and shame 'em, don't be shy ;)

Although I did once hide a fairly dull roadside cache, with a fancy Xhosa name that made it sound all exciting! Although it was a good excuse to stretch the legs on a long dull piece of road!

Roadside and micro (the same bad carma) caches that have a point are worthwhile. Cross Check is an example of a wonderful roadside cache.

It gets you our of your car, over a fence and busy not driving for a good while. You also notice a spot you would have never seen before. THis is one of those caches you think of ever time you drive the winding SA roads.

Beestekraalnek our 100th find left us rather cold and we could not really see the point.

I look at caches in a different light since I tried to find them on foreign soil. And rate them on slightly different criteria.

• Does it take you to a nice place
  • Was it acceptably easy to find - you dont know the place and dont want to be arrested.
  • Did you have a good feeling after finding it.
  • Would you tell your non geocaching friends about it?

Micros and Road-sides are a must... It all depends on how they were placed!

We have done some good ones and some really awful ones that really had no point.

Can't remember Beestekraalnek at all even though we have done it. So that one most certainly would fall into the 'why are we here' category.

Cachers placing roadside caches should take a long look around before placing. Would they honestly like to stop here to stretch their legs? Is it a good place to pull off the road without endangering any other traffic? Is there some history, a view,a layby, anything that would make the stop worthwhile.

And yes Larks you're right, the worse they are, the smaller the container (which is not even cleverly hidden.)

One particular roadside cache in the Karoo (which is now archived), one had to climb the fence onto private property in full view of the farm buildings across the road. We felt bad so approached the farmer and explained geocaching to him. He was aware that lots of people were climbing his fence, as his foreman always came to tell him when it happened. He was thrilled that we had finally cleared up as to why this was happening as there is always a huge threat of stock theft in that area. So easy to have warning shots fired at you under those circumstances.

Edited by cownchicken

Now, i may not be a mind reader, but i don't think Larks, is dissing caches which get you to stop your legs on a long drive - those are warranted, even if not necessarily in a thrilling spot.

I think perhaps that larks is referring to ones in a city environment. I did a days caching with him in JHB, and one in particular springs to mind (I can't recall the name, as it was missing). It was in a suburban area on a street corner hidden in some arbitrary wall, with no real reason to go there, and no one would really be driving past to warrant a leg stretch anyway.

Also, if a cache is a roadside cache which makes you drive 10km off a highway to see nothing interesting at all, that is pretty annoying too, as it just adds more time and boredom to a long trip. It needs to make the detour worthwile (although luckily I havent had to put up with too many of these :D

Anyway, I am proud to say that there are microscopically few tedious roadside caches within the confines of the Cape Peninsula - big up to the Western Cape Posse :D

I think the idea behind Beestekraalnek cache is to visit this small monument. Quote for the cache "Park safely at the locked gate at S30° 34.173 E026° 47.109 – and walk 50m to the south along the fence to view a small monument (Mon #1) commemorating the Anglo Boer War. This was first erected during the war by Cmdt JH Olivier and the burghers of the Rouxville-Zastron Commando in October 1899."

The only problem being the cache and the monument is about 700 meters apart. A good road side cache should allow for a leg stretch, but a 1,4 km walk round trip is a bit much. I have done this cache but did not view the monument. Perhaps I would have felt more rewarded if the cache was closer to the monument and one could view it while finding the cache.

I think the idea behind Beestekraalnek cache is to visit this small monument. Quote for the cache "Park safely at the locked gate at S30° 34.173 E026° 47.109 – and walk 50m to the south along the fence to view a small monument (Mon #1) commemorating the Anglo Boer War. This was first erected during the war by Cmdt JH Olivier and the burghers of the Rouxville-Zastron Commando in October 1899."

The only problem being the cache and the monument is about 700 meters apart. A good road side cache should allow for a leg stretch, but a 1,4 km walk round trip is a bit much. I have done this cache but did not view the monument. Perhaps I would have felt more rewarded if the cache was closer to the monument and one could view it while finding the cache.

Ah I see. If they wanted us to view the monument, but could hide the cache there, they should have made it a multi with a clue being obtained from the monument.

that would ensure that people get to see the reason for the cache :blink:

Now, i may not be a mind reader, but i don't think Larks, is dissing caches which get you to stop your legs on a long drive - those are warranted, even if not necessarily in a thrilling spot.

I think perhaps that larks is referring to ones in a city environment.

Spot on Discombob! :(

Roadside caches on a long trip can be quite cool, provided they have some purpose to them... maybe an interesting sign etc.

There is a roadside cache by LeonW which a micro near Hartebeespoort Dam, but it is at a very funny sign, so thats great!

But I've been to some caches in urban areas that I've specifically driven to, only to find it's at a place next to the road where a bergie has lived, and it's a film canister, and absolutely no point to cache. And the reason for placement (if any) is: "I used to have a cousin that lived around here somewhere.." Okay, maybe not quite, but you get the idea. :D

It leaves me so dissapointed! And nobody seems to mind these caches being placed?

I agree with roadside caches along major roads. There have been times when I was driving and watching the GPS screen just hoping that a cache was coming within the next 20kms so that I could stop and find something. But there was nothing for 100kms!!! Such a sad tale...

Roadside caches in the city though are silly. Get creative, find something historical or clever and hide it with that purpose, just don't drop trash off on the side of the road and call it a cache.

P.S. Larks, you need to come back south for caching! :(

I have done some nice roadside caches on my way down to Cape Town, and they were good for getting the kids out of the car, grabbing a quick cup of coffee, and off we go again. Roadside caches do have their place, and I'm sure the majority of them are cool. BUT. We just returned from Bela Bela, and sadly, as long as we have event days where there will be 'blanket-cache-droppings', we will have useless roadside caches. Good for the numbers, but nothing else.

It leaves me so dissapointed! And nobody seems to mind these caches being placed?

I dont think that nobody seems to mind. I think it is more the case that there is no way to police these caches. If you start dissing the cachers that place these cachers you just make a bad name for yourself. We are all very PC and not willing to say what is on our minds. And this is for a good reason. We do this (geocaching) for fun and dont want mean nasty people ruining our fun. Way to stick your head out Larks. :(

We all have our reasons for being geocachers; mine is that I love the nature walks. Given that, I much prefer to do caches that take me to places of natural and scenic beauty or interest. I’m not a fan of plodding around the concrete jungle searching for clues that will lead to me a micro placed outside a pub or something similar, although I’ll do those from time to time if I’m with a group of geocachers or simply at a loss for something better to do. Those roadside caches on the long stretches of country drive are a welcome break; I’ve placed one myself, and I think it’s a nice location even though there isn’t anything particularly significant (apart from the beauty of nature) about it. But it has allowed people to travel a route they might not have considered before, and to see a part of the country they might otherwise not have seen.

We do this (geocaching) for fun and dont want mean nasty people ruining our fun. Way to stick your head out Larks.

:( I'd better watch out! :D:D

But I agree, without getting personal, it's nice to remind everyone of the reason why we place caches. Just to keep the standard of caching in SA at the top of this world wide game! Where it currently is, and we're proud of that! :D

Hi All

I have been following this thread with interest. Some of the comments put a wry smile on my face and others are very valid vis-a-vis the topic. Here we only wish that people would place more caches - ANY caches - and you guys are "complaining" about there being too many! :D

Don't get me wrong, a pointless cache is a pointless cache, but hell, a cache is a cache here!! We need anything to get us out of the city jungle and into the desert to do some caching. When the total count for the country is 60 caches we will accept any type of cache! :(

BTW, I just love Larks "Bergie Cache"! I wonder how many caches are going to be inspired by that one? :D If you want to see the only "pointless" cache in Qatar look at GC177ZB - especially the photographs!

Keep up the comments - I am enjoying this thread!

cincol

Cache-starved in Qatar!

BTW, I just love Larks "Bergie Cache"! I wonder how many caches are going to be inspired by that one? :D If you want to see the only "pointless" cache in Qatar look at GC177ZB - especially the photographs!

Keep up the comments - I am enjoying this thread!

cincol

Cache-starved in Qatar!

Shame life could be worse... We could all live in a desert oasis!!! :D I might be flying through Abu Dabi soon, and want to try my hand at those middle east caches! I'll even do a roadside cache or two!

In other news, I hear rumors of someone special coming caching in SA soon. This is all exciting stuff and will be good for a pleasant cache event. Here's looking forward to the visitor! :(

I love a quick roadside where there is a grave or monument with some history around it. I have one that I was going to place ages ago but still haven't done it. Maybe one day soon. Will have to see. Very interesting although a long read behind the site. We drove pass the monument a few months ago and I read up on the history and was quite surprised to find out the story behind it. Now just for the story the cache is worthwhile. I think it needs to be a multi cache though. So i will have to search a bit more.

BUT. We just returned from Bela Bela, and sadly, as long as we have event days where there will be 'blanket-cache-droppings', we will have useless roadside caches. Good for the numbers, but nothing else.

Just on this, we have planted approximately just under 40 caches for the NOLY event 1 March. Before we set out we did some guidelines for planting a cache and thus we tried to have the cache fall in to at least one of the following categories:

1. It has to be beautiful or scenic or impressive or interesting.

2. It has to be historic or heritage related.

3. It has to be sneaky (so although it might not be 1 or 2, you will have a fun time finding it).

So we tried to make all the caches worthwhile and fun to find, but there might be a cache or two that the community might find "And there's a cache here why?". I can think of one specific cache we planted for the NOLY event, a micro at that; the view might not be scenic, it might not be historical (although it will go down in the history books) and it might not even be sneaky, but we planted it to relay important information to the caching community about one of the problems South Africa is currently facing.

...BUT. We just returned from Bela Bela, and sadly, as long as we have event days where there will be 'blanket-cache-droppings', we will have useless roadside caches. Good for the numbers, but nothing else.

Hi There,

I hid 2 "Road Side Caches" as part of the Bela Bela Event.

Rootstock II GC136RB

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...f2-71f76d8915b7

And the Now Disabled:

Pigeon Toes GC136R1

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...de-f867e5c4b498

One just needs to read the logs on these two caches to realise that they were not the "Typical Road Side Cache" although they were right next to the respective roads.

Rootstock II takes you to a beautiful Counrty Lane (apparently very muddy in the rainy season :ph34r: , more the fun I say)

And Pigeon Toes won a Prize for Day 2 of the event. So if for nothing else it's originality should be enough if not for the long and Winding Sand Road through a great piece of country side.

Point is... Like mentioned elsewhere in this thread, it depends what you are looking for in a cache.... If a Road Side irritates you, Dont Do It!

When I started this hobby / Pass Time whatever, I felt the need to find every cache that blinked up on the GPS screen. Then learning what people do, by basically just throwing a film canister into a hole somewhere, I do not enjoy this. So I dont Do It anymore. However, If certain Cachers hide a micro, I will find them as I know I will be taken to a good place, or interesting something at least.

My 2 cents anyway...

Keep on Caching....

Edited by triptrick

Good for the numbers..... Was this a numbers game? Oh great now to get out there and find all them roadside caches.... Mmmm still nothing unless I travel a few hundred kilos. Groan.

Quick take I don't mind a roadside if there is something worthwhile to it. Like it might be a macro cache hidden in a extremely difficult to get without been noticed spot where ingenious stealth may be needed or if it is a great view on a back road to who-knows-where. The point is, there are a few out there that are just dropped off at the side of a busy intersection where road builders have removed a pile of rocks and left them at the side of the road. Overgrown with weeds and litter and with cars passing by every two seconds, what am I here for. Why was it placed here. Yes granted I can get my numbers up for no effort but I want more out of it, something to remember it by, other than that it was 1 more find on my list.

I have plenty roadside caches but I have a story behind them. One that I can share. Take my Sterkfontein View (GC15KYQ). It is a basic roadside cache with a bit of a scramble to get to but if you are there at the right time you a going to get one great sunset to admire. But sunsets are not all. If it is a quiet windless day (Not all that often up there) you will have the awesome glassy surface. If the wind is blowing then you just got to hope you can get to the cache.

Point is... Like mentioned elsewhere in this thread, it depends what you are looking for in a cache.... If a Road Side irritates you, Dont Do It!

When I started this hobby / Pass Time whatever, I felt the need to find every cache that blinked up on the GPS screen. Then learning what people do, by basically just throwing a film canister into a hole somewhere, I do not enjoy this. So I dont Do It anymore. However, If certain Cachers hide a micro, I will find them as I know I will be taken to a good place, or interesting something at least.

Good point Triptrick. Maybe a better name for this thread would be:

Pointless film canisters thrown into a hole somewhere. Yes or No?

My dilemma is that often I only realise once I'm at the cache that its one of these useless caches.

So i take back my statement knocking the roadside caches, and apologise to all great roadside caches, roadsides are officially no longer my enemy. :huh:

I now prefer the name "Pointless film canisters thrown into a hole somewhere". (good name triptrick!) ;)

I think what we ned to look at here is, can there be anything worse than a roadside cache that you can get to without leaving the car. Just wind down the window and grab the cache. I see a lot of logs in the US that people do this. I hope that there are none like that in SA. Now that would be a bad one.

I think what we ned to look at here is, can there be anything worse than a roadside cache that you can get to without leaving the car. Just wind down the window and grab the cache. I see a lot of logs in the US that people do this. I hope that there are none like that in SA. Now that would be a bad one.

Except in a game reserve :huh:

Get 100 people to stand at some arbitrary spot and take a single photograph. The result will most likely be a couple of variations of similar points of view. But there will always be one photograph that will make everyone say “were we in the same place”?

Sometimes we just don’t see what the cacher saw when they placed the cache. I did a roadside in the Cape a few years back which was really arb. I happened to pass the same spot a few hours later as the sun was setting, it had transformed into the most beautiful landscape.

But yes, there are some arbitrary placements that no magnificent sunset could rescue, another small canister in some hole, or a magnet against some street sign. This is a global phenomenon, back alleys of shopping centres is apparently a favourite in the US. In the UK they complain about another cache in another wood. Woods may be pretty, but even they can get boring.

As alluded to by Tiptrick, one gets to know a cacher's habits and if their placements aren’t your cup of tea, then one tends to avoid them. Having said that, I think one should be honest and offer constructive criticism if the cache may seem arbitrary to you. If other cachers are in agreement then perhaps this will assist the cache owner to improve their future placements.

Also, keep in mind that the environment can change dramatically in a day. I’ve been to caches and revisited them two days later again where cachers have either trampled the place to death looking for the cache or someone has dumped a load of rubbish, or a muggle has taken up residence. Another important reason for regular maintenance.

Speaking of rubbish…. ask yourself when last you did a cache with a rubbish bag and pick up same of that rubbish :huh:

Good point Triptrick. Maybe a better name for this thread would be:

Pointless film canisters thrown into a hole somewhere. Yes or No?

A definite No

I now prefer the name "Pointless film canisters thrown into a hole somewhere". (good name triptrick!) ;)

Slingshot micro’s ;)

Edited by GlobalRat

Get 100 people to stand at some arbitrary spot and take a single photograph. The result will most likely be a couple of variations of similar points of view. But there will always be one photograph that will make everyone say "were we in the same place"?

Also, keep in mind that the environment can change dramatically in a day....>

Agreed, I must say that this has been an aspect that has horrified me in some cases. When placing a cache for interest or beauty whatever, Always try to think of what it will be like tomorrow, next week or next season. Not so easy is it?

Like my Poor Pigeon Toes: It has now surfaced that all that is left of the cache is the actual Pigeon Toes (legs) as a fire must have goit to the polystyrene birds body. Funny how the name of the cache still remained appropriate. ;) However, Since the Log was iinsde a plastic containiner in the birds chest, this was destroyed aswell. So I wonder how many people actually saw the whole bird or just the Pigeon Toes?!

Sorry I digress.... The thing is, I did not think of Fire when I placed this Road Side Cache. And it was a nice clump of trees if I ever saw one. :P

Another example, on one of my Caches, I placed it in Summer, the River was in Full Flow, The Trees and Grass all around the area was beautiful. My Family and I spent 3 hours there I think it was. And it is just there, in the middle of nowhere. I took a particular picture of the Great Big Weeping Willow Tree at the head of the bridge. Someone found the cache and took a similar pic... To my disgust it was in winter and the tree and surrounds really looked nasty. :huh: Not at all like it was in Summer. Not what I had inteded either. But some other people visited it during summer and got the jist of the cache. So I suppose it is all worth it in the end.

Maybe there is something in that? Seasonal Caches :huh:;) . Or recommended to do in x Season but available all year? As an Attribute? Or does it exist already? Sorry, I have been dormant of late so things might have changed on the site.

Sorry for the long post.... :P

There is one : Survivor Tree Mail THat's actually the NICE part of the cache. BUt go read the logs how scary it is, people getting out of their car in the KNP... eeish....

I now prefer the name "Pointless film canisters thrown into a hole somewhere". (good name triptrick!) :)

I'm thinking of hiding a cache called "Pointless film canister thrown into a hole somewhere"

Its going to be a 5/5 star cache, because I'm going to toss it into the big hole of Kimberly :anibad:

I now prefer the name "Pointless film canisters thrown into a hole somewhere". (good name triptrick!) :huh:

I'm thinking of hiding a cache called "Pointless film canister thrown into a hole somewhere"

Its going to be a 5/5 star cache, because I'm going to toss it into the big hole of Kimberly :)

Is that a roadside cache? Can I drive up to it in the car? Will I be able to get it without exiting my car? Isn't that a scenic spot? Are you going to get the exact co0ords of the film canister or do we have to search the whole hole? Mmmmm? I think this may be just as tough to place and register..... :anibad:

Hmmm - ouch to some useless caches out there... :D

I have only placed one suburban cache up to now (maybe some cachers would find this one too without feeling anything afterwards).

I'm trying to stick to posting great caches (to protect my good name, it seems) :laughing: . Problem is, historical sites/monuments/great views etc. in town are somewhat difficult to find now, since the 'older' cachers have already claimed all the good/safe spots I would have wanted to use. :D

I think it is a good thing to be open enough to comment on caches that seem to not have a place - to improve the standard of caching in this country. I also agree that what seems to be a great cache to one, may not be a good cache to another.

I love caching - I don't like wasting my time finding random black containers without understanding the point of it being placed there (whatever the reason my be).

I liked the criteria EragonSaphira posted as a guideline to their event caches. I enjoyed the event tremendously and finding their caches. Thx! ;)

Good luck to all cachers wanting to place some caches - I sympathize with those who's caches are deemed not great. :D I dread seeing one of my caches used as an example in this thread... ;)

Happy caching!