City Navigator NT V.8 or City Navigator 2008?

DruNuts

City Navigator NT V.8 or City Navigator 2008? I am ready to purchase one of these (tomorrow morning). Which one would you suggest?

1. City Nav v8 is the old map. City Nav 2008 is the latest map.

2. NT version has a lag on eTrex. NT is compatible with H units, takes less space than Non-NT.

3. I personally use City Nav 2008 Non-NT since there is no lag. Lag manifests when you move cursor pointing to a street or POI; it takes 3-5 seconds for eTrex to show you street number or POI/waypoint name. You will see hourglass (like Windows’) on your screen. Non-NT maps show you street numbers or POI/Waypoint names instantly. Non-NT map takes more space.

4. Complete North America 2008 NT takes 998.5Mb on your GPSr; Non-NT takes 1,726.2Mb.

I just received my Legend HCx and have coming Topo 2008. I would like to in the future be able to use my GPS in my car.

-Will both City Navigators work on the Legend HCx? The garmin website does not say that mine will work with the non-NT when you check the pull-down window for compatibility. The non-NT is definitely cheaper and I would only transfer the midatlantic area to start with in combination with my Topo.

-Will the Legend HCx have the same lag with the NT version? This would be a definite incentive to use the non-NT if it can work on my GPS.

Thanks!

City Navigator NT V.8 or City Navigator 2008? I am ready to purchase one of these (tomorrow morning). Which one would you suggest?

Whether you get the NT or the non-NT, make sure it's the 2008 version (2008 is newer than V.8).

I have the 60CSx. Garmin recommended using the "NT" version with this GPSr and I haven't had any issue with "lag"!

As far as I have seen, the lag occurs only when the "NT" maps are in a Vista HCx or Legend HCx model. I haven't heard of anyone with the 60CSx experiencing the lag.

I have seen the NT-map lag on my Vista HCx, as have some other people (see this thread). I am in the process of exchanging the NT maps for non-NT ones, because the lag is driving me nuts.

I just received my Legend HCx and have coming Topo 2008. I would like to in the future be able to use my GPS in my car.

-Will both City Navigators work on the Legend HCx? The garmin website does not say that mine will work with the non-NT when you check the pull-down window for compatibility. The non-NT is definitely cheaper and I would only transfer the midatlantic area to start with in combination with my Topo.

-Will the Legend HCx have the same lag with the NT version? This would be a definite incentive to use the non-NT if it can work on my GPS.

Thanks!

The non-NT maps will work with your Legend HCx, even though they are not included on the list. (You won't be able to stores as many maps, though.) If you get the NT maps, you may or may not see the lag -- some people do, but not everyone.

I noticed that I can't order a NT version of 2008 only a 2008 update. I was also wondering if you had the whole country loaded onto your card to make it lag? I probably won't have the whole thing loaded so hopeully this won't effect me.

If you read the link in my post above, you'll see that I had the lag issues when I had even just one single segment of NT maps loaded.

Also, you can buy the NT version of 2008 as a whole package, not just as an update -- I did. I bought it at wwww.ehqonline.com (their site is timing out for me at the moment, though).