how many check logs..

just curious,,how many bother to take the time to check all your cache logs to see if the people who claimed a find realy did ? seems like a terrible waste of time to me..if you have alot of caches then thats all you,d ever get done..

I don't check logs for the reason you mentioned. I do have one cache I have to keep an eye on, because people are constantly thinking its been muggled when they can't find it, even though we've never had a muggling at that location in over 1+ years. So, regularly I check that cache to make sure it's still there and always check the logbook, mostly because it's in a watery location and I cannot keep an O-ring in the bison.

But otherwise, nope.

About the only time I check an entry is if I replace the log with a new one as a result of cache maintenance. When I get home I look at the log entries to see who found the cache. But I don't check each entry, dates, etc. If people are going to be dishonest in faking a find, my deleting their "Found it" will not change their morals.

I only check if I have a reason to believe someone is logging phony finds. It's happened a few times.

Same here, I delete a few logs a year. As a matter of fact I will be deletig another log within the next 24 hours after I make a cache check tommorow. :D

I deleted one log from a cacher who could not find my cache, so he replaced it with one he had with him. He called me on the phone afterwards all upset. :wacko: said I was messing up his numbers ;)

Edited by JohnnyVegas

When I do maintenance on my caches I like to read through the logs to see if anyone wrote some additional comment ( I look for where they are from, because I ask them to write the city they live in). I never have done a cross reference check. I guess I'm thinking if someone logs that they found it online that they really did. What would be the point of saying you found a cache if your really didn't find it? If someone wants to lie about finds, what can I do about it really? To me this sport is about the adventure. :D Yes, I get a rush when I find a cache every time, but I especially love it when the cache I have found has taken me to a cool and wonderful place! :wacko: If people are logging finds that they have not found then they are missing out and I do not have the time to check up on them. I only have two caches hidden and feel this would not be a good use of my time. Those goecachers who have hundreds of hides would never be able to manage this. Let's just hope everyone is honest and if they are not, they are only cheating themselves out of a lot of fun and adventure. Because when it comes right down to it it is not about how many smiley faces you get is it? Well maybe a little. ;)

I don't check the log on my cache, but it's an easy find so it would be pointless for anyone to fake a log on it. I don't get people who are all about the numbers. Going on cache hunts take you to beautiful and historic locations, The caches themselves are also fun to find too. Sometimes you'll get to a location and see that it's a clever word play on the cache titles, or find a cache that is hidden in an interesting container that is out of the ordinary. If someone else wants to cheat by bumping their numbers falsely, the only person they're cheating is themselves.

I only have a few hides - and haven't had to trade logs out yet - but it never crossed my mind to even check for dishonesty.

I would never fake a log - so I don't think like that. Don't get me wrong - I am sure it could happen - and when it does - i'll hop on here and ask for advice as to how to best handle it.

If someone wants to bump their numbers by m_s_u_b_t_ng in front of their computer, that's their business.

OMG, you HAVE to incorporate that into a Mystery Cache somehow...call it "The 'Doesn't Anyone KNOCK Anymore?' Cache."

Love,

Judge Reinhold

Edited by VickersDavis

I've never read the logs with any skeptical intent, such as comparing signatures to online logs and so forth.

I read them online because I enjoy the content but rarely read the cache log.

I do have a file folder I toss old full logs into, no idea why though! I have cache logs from '05 in there. Some things just are.

There's a current thread on our Alabama forum (www.DixieCachers.com > Forum Index > Everyday chit chat (Geocaching Related) > Do you know this cacher?) where we are trying to figure out if cacher CalvinSally is totally faking finds and debating whether or not we will delete their logs if they are.

So far I never have. I wouldn't even consider it in this case except they logged my Trussville Civitan, the oldest cache in Alabama and thus 'special', at least to me. Why a fake log on that cache as opposed to any of my others irritates me is probably illogical, but again, some things just are!

So far the thinking in the aforementioned thread leans pretty much toward giving them the benefit of the doubt and/or ignoring them if they are fake.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

I only check if I have a reason to believe someone is logging phony finds. It's happened a few times.

Same here...and typically it would be during a Maintenance run on my caches. I don't go out of my way to check logs, but i will make a note of it and check the next time I am checking a particular cache of mine. I have only had to delete two finds on any of my caches...

An Earthcache...Two out of four questions were not answered by the cacher...I sent an email to further ecplain why I deleted their find and gave them hints so they would be able to asnwer the questions the next time they visit the location

A Puzzle/Mystery Cache...had additional logging requirements, the log did nto meet those requirements...I also sent an email to explaint he situation...I before I deleted the log and one after...didn't get a nice response form this cacher however...

Can't please everyone...

If there is some phony business going on, I will check it out, but I don't make it a habit. I cross check the names on the log sheet with the electronic logs. I have found that some people forget to log their find and send them an email telling them this. It's like a free smilie for them. However, some don't bother logging a find because they could care less. To each his own.

I maintain my caches regularly complete with a computerized updated log sheet. I redo the paint job, repair camo, move the location (if applicable) to minimize geotrails, and update coordinates. It takes a lot of time, but I found almost all the caches within a thirty mile radius. So, I do this to stay in the game. Plus, I enjoy it. It gets me out and keeps the evil, creative juices flowing for my next cache placement.

just curious,,how many bother to take the time to check all your cache logs to see if the people who claimed a find realy did ? seems like a terrible waste of time to me..if you have alot of caches then thats all you,d ever get done..

Everytime I do maintenance checks, I photograph the contents of the logbook and check as time allows.

When I do maintenance checks on my caches, I do take photos of the logs and cross check them with the site. I find more often that people sign the logs, but don't sign online, which I'm fine with. I have found 2 names online that weren't in the log. I emailed both politely asking about it, and one never got back to me, so I deleted the log, the other got back to me and remembered the cache, so I let it stay. I have no problems deleting logs that I don't see a matching (or close) name in the log book. I believe that according to the cache placement rules, is something all cache owners should do. If you can't do it, then maybe you have too many crummy micros caches out there to properly maintain. :D

Never. I do however like to see if anyone found it but didn't log online. While I'd rather everyone logged online, it's fun to discover that there were even more finders. And accidental finds are fun to read about, too. On occasion, I've even posted an appropriately-dated note to the cache page for a more complete online history.

Everytime I do maintenance checks, I photograph the contents of the logbook and check as time allows.

Good idea. I might have to do that. I think log books are a valuable piece of history and would like them preserved.

As for me, I reconcile the logs with the physical one on a random schedule. When I'm in the field, I'll pull all the logs on the web site and check the book that way. If I see someone I do not trust or a new cacher logging a difficult hide, I may reconcile earlier than later. Especially for my terrain hides, I state as a logging requirement every cacher claiming a find must sign the log with his/her own hand or provide a picture of everyone at the final. If it's a challenge to get to, I want to make sure everyone did the work.

But, yes, constantly checking log books is a headache. I have one on top of a chimney, another anchored in the middle of a flood plane, one across a stream accessible via walking a pipe, an ammo can tied 25' in a tree, another ammo can Tube Torcher fashion, etc. The occasional PNG I have is much easier to reconcile. Since it's rare I see a copy and paste log, getting one of those makes me suspicious.

... I have found that some people forget to log their find and send them an email telling them this. It's like a free smilie for them. However, some don't bother logging a find because they could care less. To each his own.

Yeah, I get emails like this from time to time, I only log caches online if I am in the mood, maybe 1/3 of my finds ever get logged, so folks find my signature all the time. Some ask "Did you forget to log this?". I just tell them no, I have enough to do online already!

There's a current thread on our Alabama forum (www.DixieCachers.com > Forum Index > Everyday chit chat (Geocaching Related) > Do you know this cacher?) where we are trying to figure out if cacher CalvinSally is totally faking finds and debating whether or not we will delete their logs if they are.

So far I never have. I wouldn't even consider it in this case except they logged my Trussville Civitan, the oldest cache in Alabama and thus 'special', at least to me. Why a fake log on that cache as opposed to any of my others irritates me is probably illogical, but again, some things just are!

So far the thinking in the aforementioned thread leans pretty much toward giving them the benefit of the doubt and/or ignoring them if they are fake.

Out of curiousity, did you ever check out the logbooks on any of the caches that CalvinSally has logged? It looks like they are group of six people, and it's quite possible they've collectively found 58 caches in a few days. I couldn't get into your Alabama forum to read the discussion. My only concern is it might be a little unfair to drag their name into this if it's all just a mistake.

Edited by Cedar Grove Seekers

Out of curiousity, did you ever check out the logbooks on any of the caches that CalvinSally has logged? It looks like they are group of six people, and it's quite possible they've collectively found 58 caches in a few days. I couldn't get into your Alabama forum to read the discussion. My only concern is it might be a little unfair to drag their name into this if it's all just a mistake.

I wouldn't have mentioned the name without checking - so far not a single Alabama cache they have logged has their signature.

And you can get into DixieCachers.com - but to keep spammers out we require you sign up for a free account.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

I don't have any caches hidden, but I did notice recently that an online log of a find was not on the paper log in the cache.

I only noticed because I just recently started using the paperless Palm caching so I had just looked at the most recently logged find and it was one of the short "I found it" types. Log just prior to that was from a very seasoned and active cacher - from just a few days prior to my find.

Couldn't help but notice that the seasoned familiar cacher's logged name and date on the paper log was at the bottom of the list. So, the most recent online logger either didn't find the cache or just didn't bother signing the paper.

No big deal for me - didn't notify the cache owner.

Also noticed on a recent find that several online logs claimed a find because they were at the right place and the cache had been muggled - said the Tupperware container was open, full of water and leaves and no log was present. However, the real cache was a micro film cannister safe and sound hanging from a tree limb just above the plastic trash container.

Looked like one cache hunter was fooled by the trash and a later cacher or two just logged the same thing without really hunting. The film cannister was really pretty easy to spot (winter in Florida and even we do lose some tree leaves - might be harder to spot in the summer).

(edited for spelling error)

Edited by HopsMaltYeast

I wouldn't have mentioned the name without checking - so far not a single Alabama cache they have logged has their signature.

Fair enough.

Some people aren't into hitchhikers.

I agree, but I think most folks would come to that conclusion after trying one and then realizing it ain't their thing (it does take a little more effort).

But, for 6 people (this looks like a group account) to collectively come to that conclusion without ever trying one? That's pretty extraordinary.

I usually don't check the logs that close, except for one time. I had a cache that was somewhat difficult to find. Most of the log entries noted that it was well camo'd and took a great deal of effort to find. All of a sudden a new cacher wrote a log something like..."walked right up to it, I wish they were all this easy!". Well that made me take a trip out to that cache and check the log...I was ready to delete his smiley. Opppsss...sure enough this person found it and logged it! I have never found a log entry that wasn't recorded on the cache page, but I have found log entries that were logged into the cache, but NOT recorded on the cache page. I guess they didn't want the Smiley.

We check when we feel the need. Not much of a problem as I'm not recalling ever having to question a person over a find during an audit. It's always been the folks who claim a find while admitting they didn't find it in the text of the log.

I'm just curious as the attitude of some folks who never do an audit. If signing the log is such a big thing in order to claim a find, why the cavalier attitude over checking to see if they actually did it? "You must sign the log, but I'm not going to check to see if you did." Yeah, I know some folks don't care one way or the other. I just think there's a major logical disconnect with this issue for some folks.

We check when we feel the need. Not much of a problem as I'm not recalling ever having to question a person over a find during an audit. It's always been the folks who claim a find while admitting they didn't find it in the text of the log.

I'm just curious as the attitude of some folks who never do an audit. If signing the log is such a big thing in order to claim a find, why the cavalier attitude over checking to see if they actually did it? "You must sign the log, but I'm not going to check to see if you did." Yeah, I know some folks don't care one way or the other. I just think there's a major logical disconnect with this issue for some folks.

CoyoteRed, Well like you, I really only check when I feel a need. Just today and because of a tremendous amount of rain here in SoCal, I had to pull one of my caches back into my shop for maintenance. I looked at the log and didn't see any names that I didn't recognize from the on-line finds, so that was my audit.

It was nothing formal, nothing scheduled but I did look at it. Had I found something that looked funny, I would have researched it more. I like to keep this as a hobby and not a part time job...if it starts to be that...I'm outta here! I probably worked like "8,000,000" hours in my 40 years of working....time to have fun now!!! :blink:

SC is a beautiful state, I'll be visiting there next fall and hope to be able to go find a few!!!

I've only checked my logs once.. It was when a big numbers cacher from another state came through and claimed to have hit 40 or so caches in one day. Coincidently it was when a big storm came though and there were trees down everywhere, and we had area wide power outages... hummm

So finish the story, were the logs legit?

Nope !! I deleted them all

Then the cacher deleted the rest..

I have replaced a few full log books. I will skim over the logs, mostly to admire custom stamps, then toss it. Cachers are great people, and as someone who has found caches and traded items, then found out I have no pencil.... I take folks at thier word. :P

I'm one who has said I never do an audit, but I also don't take as hard a line about signing it.

The only case I can think of where a fake log is truly detrimental is when the cache is missing, causing others to look for it and the owners to think it's fine. If you go to check on it and it's there to audit, then that's not the case. If you find it's missing, you can't know whether the log is fake.

If someone asked me to verify a log because it counted as part of a challenge or other competition, I'd probably do it.

Like CR, though, it's rarely come up for me. I can only think of one log that was ever suspicious, and a reviewer actually handled it after I and several other owners brought up the person's many questionable local finds in a forum.

The responsibility of your listing includes quality control of posts to the cache page. Delete any logs that appear to be bogus, counterfeit, off topic, or not within the stated requirements.
(from the Cache Listing Requirements).

So taking the above into consideration, should this be seen as irresponsible ownership when a cache owner doesn't follow the requirements? And by submitting a cache to GC.com aren't you agreeing to follow the requirements?

Curious what everyone thinks,

DCC

I take folks at their word for one reason. The other is that I have a life aside from GeoCaching ( :P ). I have caches everywhere and just the price of petrol is a great reason. The shear logistics of checking every signature on the physical log with the cyber signatures is daunting unless you only have two hides or so or have dedicated a bit too much of your life to GC. Cross referencing cyber logs with physical books is nuts. When would you have time to find any caches?

I think that's where a logical disconnect resides (or at least a logistical disconnect).

The responsibility of your listing includes quality control of posts to the cache page. Delete any logs that appear to be bogus, counterfeit, off topic, or not within the stated requirements.
(from the Cache Listing Requirements).

So taking the above into consideration, should this be seen as irresponsible ownership when a cache owner doesn't follow the requirements? And by submitting a cache to GC.com aren't you agreeing to follow the requirements?

Curious what everyone thinks,

DCC

I think most cache hiders would agree that if a reason to doubt that the find was legitimate came up on the online logs, they'd check the paper logs. I haven't had to yet, but I definitely would if something came up.

Edited by Jennifer146