Anyone else have a problem with Micro's

miuwu

***I hate them and refuse go after them***

Why start a new thread? The other "I Hate Micro" thread is just under yours...

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=183106

But just so you don't have to search thru hundreds of posts to find my previous message...I'll spell it out here.

IF YOU DON'T LIKE MICROS....DON'T HUNT THE MICROS.

Plain and simple...just filter them out and have this thread closed.

Buh-Bye

Edited by Drooling_Mongoloid

Not a single Micro when I started here, but now they are everywhere. Whats the deal? Gas stations, quicky marts, Starbucks, I hate them and refuse go after them. Lets get back to real geocaching and real cache containers! ;)

Let's get back to real cache containers? How far back should we go?

The very first cache was a 5 gallon bucket. I hope you're not suggesting we do away with all containers smaller than a 5 gallon bucket just to please the folks that enjoy hunting for 5 gallon buckets.

I have a problem with caches in mundane or unappealing locations. It's just that most of them happen to be micros.

Yeah, yeah, I know. If you don't like 'em, don't hunt 'em, but I don't know that it's a crappy cache until I get there. I've reached a cache and realized what I was in for and turned around many times, which is

a waste of my time and gas.

Not a single Micro when I started here, but now they are everywhere. Whats the deal? Gas stations, quicky marts, Starbucks, I hate them and refuse go after them. Lets get back to real geocaching and real cache containers! ;)

Unfortunately thast will require 10,000 brain transplants or tuition paid to a week at some "attitude adjustment" center. Unfortunately neither is going to happen, regardless of the black eye that such hide locations give the game. Far too many og the players see no problem with hiding and poking around utility boxes behind businesses or in the bushes in high traffic locations. Or scrouinging around in the landscaping in parks or commercial locations. Or in 'inspectiing' every bolt anf gasket cover on and around commercial ro community based fire fighting piping and its associated equiptment and on and on and on........

Eventually this going to cause major undesirable interactions between geocachers and property owners, their private security patrols and the gubmint taxpayer funded real type cops. Everyone sees it coming and for the most part they relish in the perverse excitment of the moment. To them it is comical.

Just stick around and watch.

I bolded some text from the original post, so no one retorts with "if you don't like them, don't look for them". What's that? Oh never mind. :D

Those are the locations that are good for micro's. Micro's have a place in this activity. Not quite as many places as they seem to crop up though. I tend to bypass a lot of them nowdays.

Granted, micros at mini malls are usually ... well, just numbers bumpers.... but everyone should own at least on LPC ;)

However, since the demise of virtuals, one MUST PLACE at least a micro to draw cachers to an interesting place. I would have loved to set up Jimmy's Coalburg Garage as a virtual, but I was more or less forced to place a micro across the street. I have a Milky Way Meteor micro placed on a guard rail and if you visit in the daytime it's not too spectacular. On a clear night, however, it's one of the best places around here to get a gander of the Milky Way.

To each his own.

Not a single Micro when I started here, but now they are everywhere. Whats the deal? Gas stations, quicky marts, Starbucks, I hate them and refuse go after them. Lets get back to real geocaching and real cache containers! :D

I bolded some text from the original post, so no one retorts with "if you don't like them, don't look for them". What's that? Oh never mind. ;)

I don't know which is worse...

A] Someone that complains about finding micros and wants to get rid of them so that nobody can find them, or

B] Someone that has figured out how to avoid them but still wants to get rid of them so that nobody that does enjoy them gets to anymore.

:wacko:;)

I bolded some text from the original post, so no one retorts with "if you don't like them, don't look for them". What's that? Oh never mind. :D

A] Someone that complains about finding micros and wants to get rid of them so that nobody can find them, or

B] Someone that has figured out how to avoid them but still wants to get rid of them so that nobody that does enjoy them gets to anymore.

;):D

I don't want to put words in miuwu's mouth or anything, but it appears he's an old-timer, who rarely visits the forums, who seems to be commenting on micros in mundane locations such as on electrical transformers, out back of the quickie mart next to the dumpster, in the bushes in front of Starbucks in full view of the patrons etc.. Caches that didn't exist in his area when he started finding and hiding geocaches.

I don't think he wants to ban all micros or anything. The part about "Lets get back to real geocaching and real cache containers" aside. :wacko:

Well you know when folks complain and find fault in those that just find and don't hide and all the good spots are taken in the nearby forest, ya gotta hide something somewhere. And if you live in an urban jungle and want to hide and don't want to drive 50 or 100 miles to strange territory you find a convenient lamp post a down at wally world. I hunt them and I don't hunt them, depends on the phase of the moon.

Jim

Every micro that I have found so far led me to memorable locations - either beautiful, historic, or both. In fact, I hid a micro in a lovely park that I used to visit when I was a little girl.

Even the micros that I have seen in commercial locations have been nice - such as those leading to locations in the "ALWAYS" series. I find the play on words for those caches rather cute and clever, and I don't mind scouring a parking lot for such things.

Sometimes the micro itself is clever, as it is a container that you didn't expect. Also, I've seen quite a few micros that have trades inside of them.

I'd say the problem isn't that the caches in your area are micros, its the location of the hide or the lack of thought that went into it.

Eventually this going to cause major undesirable interactions between geocachers and property owners, their private security patrols and the gubmint taxpayer funded real type cops.

Ok, just so we can follow your prediction of this cataclysmic event, when do you think this will happen? Is this the plot to Cloverfield by chance????

And yes, let's get back to the good ole days......a can of beans in every cache I say!! Sometime I cache...and I'm HUNGRY!!

The funny thing is, no matter how mundane, stupid, common, insipid the hide is, people will log them...lots o' people!!

I have a problem with caches in mundane or unappealing locations. It's just that most of them happen to be micros.

Yeah, yeah, I know. If you don't like 'em, don't hunt 'em, but I don't know that it's a crappy cache until I get there. I've reached a cache and realized what I was in for and turned around many times, which is

Here's the part I don't get about you. Normally you're very helpful and I respect that about you.

You have been caching since late 2001 and I have been caching since early 2003.

You have roughly a year and a half on me and just over 10% more finds than me. We both roughly average 100 caches a year.

It stands to reason that you don't cache willy-nilly given your number of finds over this period of time, so I don't understand how you can blame a hider for wasting your time and gas. If you had 10 times the finds over that period of time I would understand your point of view even though I still wouldn't approve.

At 100 caches average per year there is really no excuse for not knowing what you're in for when you make the choice to spend your quality time cachin'. There are maps and satellite images and logs to read up on as well as word of mouth on local forums and events about which caches are the best to hunt.

Sorry man. I love ya and all, but your argument falls flat when you look at the stats. We average the same and yet I've never allowed my time and gas to get wasted because it's darn near impossible to cache willy-nilly when my average is so low.

At 100 caches average per year there is really no excuse for not knowing what you're in for when you make the choice to spend your quality time cachin'. There are maps and satellite images and logs to read up on as well as word of mouth on local forums and events about which caches are the best to hunt.

Actually, that's the main point I'd like to make to the OP as well. ;)

Edited by Snoogans

Not a single Micro when I started here, but now they are everywhere. Whats the deal? Gas stations, quicky marts, Starbucks, I hate them and refuse go after them. Lets get back to real geocaching and real cache containers! :D

Not a single I Hate Micros thread when I started here, but now they are everywhere. What's the deal? You say you don't hunt them, then why does their existence lead you to post this blather? Let's get back to talking about real issues and real fun caching experiences! ;)

Your post really isn't on topic, so the solution given for the OP wouldn't necessarily work for you. The OP appears to dislike all micros. Since he's a PM, it is trivial for him to sort out all micros from his PQs and live blissfully as if they don't exist.

There's an answer to your 'problem' too, but this isn't the forum for it.

Unfortunately thast will require 10,000 brain transplants or tuition paid to a week at some "attitude adjustment" center. Unfortunately neither is going to happen, regardless of the black eye that such hide locations give the game. Far too many og the players see no problem with hiding and poking around utility boxes behind businesses or in the bushes in high traffic locations. Or scrouinging around in the landscaping in parks or commercial locations. Or in 'inspectiing' every bolt anf gasket cover on and around commercial ro community based fire fighting piping and its associated equiptment and on and on and on........

Eventually this going to cause major undesirable interactions between geocachers and property owners, their private security patrols and the gubmint taxpayer funded real type cops. Everyone sees it coming and for the most part they relish in the perverse excitment of the moment. To them it is comical.

Just stick around and watch.

f54fb867-80f0-45d9-9c2d-7d4b231dc603.jpg

I bolded some text from the original post, so no one retorts with "if you don't like them, don't look for them". What's that? Oh never mind. ;)
The OP is a PM. As such, he can filter out all micros from his PQs and cache as if they don't even exist. The fact that he started this thread tells me that either he hasn't thought to do this, or he just likes throwing rocks in the pond to watch the ripples.
Not a single Micro when I started here, but now they are everywhere. Whats the deal? Gas stations, quicky marts, Starbucks, I hate them and refuse go after them. Lets get back to real geocaching and real cache containers! :wacko:

:D;)

I don't want to put words in miuwu's mouth or anything, but it appears he's an old-timer, who rarely visits the forums, who seems to be commenting on micros in mundane locations such as on electrical transformers, out back of the quickie mart next to the dumpster, in the bushes in front of Starbucks in full view of the patrons etc.. Caches that didn't exist in his area when he started finding and hiding geocaches.

I don't think he wants to ban all micros or anything. The part about "Lets get back to real geocaching and real cache containers" aside. :D

Based on his OP in this thread and his post in the other thread, I believe that you are mistaken. It's clear that he dislikes all micros and wants them gone. He doesn't appear to care that other people like them. Edited by sbell111

Every micro that I have found so far led me to memorable locations - either beautiful, historic, or both. In fact, I hid a micro in a lovely park that I used to visit when I was a little girl.

Even the micros that I have seen in commercial locations have been nice - such as those leading to locations in the "ALWAYS" series. I find the play on words for those caches rather cute and clever, and I don't mind scouring a parking lot for such things.

And all this time, I thought Sbell111 was pulling my leg when he told me there are people who enjoy the Wal-Mart parking lot. Sorry, Sbell. :D We now return you to your regulary scheduled "people who hate all micros" thread. ;)

Sometimes the micro itself is clever, as it is a container that you didn't expect. Also, I've seen quite a few micros that have trades inside of them.

I'd say the problem isn't that the caches in your area are micros, its the location of the hide or the lack of thought that went into it.

Jennifer, with respect, you've found four caches and hidden one. Sooner or later, you'll get tired of lifting lamp-post skirts in the WalMart parking lot, or driving around behind stores to grab yet another magnetic box stuck to a guard rail. Everyone reaches their saturation point with these. On the other end of the spectrum, micros by their size alone lend themselves to what I refer to as "The Needle in the Haystack" hides, where there are plenty of places to hide a full-size cache, and about a billion places where a micro might be. So the question becomes, "do you spend all day looking for one frustrating hide, or do you ignore it and go enjoy yourself?"

There are some great micro hides out there, though, and I'd hate to lose them. I don't dislike micros, but I do dislike, and tend to avoid, lame locations.

Jennifer, with respect, you've found four caches and hidden one. Sooner or later, you'll get tired of lifting lamp-post skirts in the WalMart parking lot, or driving around behind stores to grab yet another magnetic box stuck to a guard rail. ...
I've found a couple more than Jennifer. When am I going to get tired of them?

(Actually, a search of my posts would no doubt turn up some whiny ones complaining about this issue from long before the OP joined up. I've since had a realignment of that position. I believe that my current position is much more in tune with the basic tenets of geocaching than the position that I previously held and that is currently held by the 'puritans'.)

Edited by sbell111

Jennifer, with respect, you've found four caches and hidden one. Sooner or later, you'll get tired of lifting lamp-post skirts in the WalMart parking lot, or driving around behind stores to grab yet another magnetic box stuck to a guard rail. Everyone reaches their saturation point with these. On the other end of the spectrum, micros by their size alone lend themselves to what I refer to as "The Needle in the Haystack" hides, where there are plenty of places to hide a full-size cache, and about a billion places where a micro might be. So the question becomes, "do you spend all day looking for one frustrating hide, or do you ignore it and go enjoy yourself?"

There are some great micro hides out there, though, and I'd hate to lose them. I don't dislike micros, but I do dislike, and tend to avoid, lame locations.

When does this "saturation" happen? Of the 2242 caches that I have logged 53% were micros and I can honestly say that I have enjoyed every cache that I have ever found! Some more than others, for various reasons, but I like them all!

Agreed.

I have done many well thought out, well planned and well placed micro caches. Really enjoyed them. However, odds go way up when I see "micro" that I'm not gonna have much fun. Simply ignoring them would cause me to miss the really good ones. So I gamble sometimes.

I like trading and have seen some creative well thought out trade items for micros but again - odds go way up there won't be any trades in a micro. Filtering them out would cause me to miss the good ones. So I gamble.

Micros DO have an important place in Geocaching. They need to exist. They need to be hidden in certain situations. I would just like to "see the bar raised a bit".

December 21st, 2012 (The end of the Mayan Calendar). ;)

(Actually, a search of my posts would no doubt turn up some whiny ones complaining about this issue from long before the OP joined up.

Actually, I think you'd be hard pressed to find an older one than this:

The Rise of the lame micro

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel
December 21st, 2012 (The end of the Mayan Calendar). ;)
(Actually, a search of my posts would no doubt turn up some whiny ones complaining about this issue from long before the OP joined up.
Actually, I think you'd be hard pressed to find an older one than this:The Rise of the lame micro
Truthfully, I didn't search very hard. I did dredge up this post, however.
Lately, the middle Tennessee area has been so overwhelmed with micro caches scattered about like so many easter eggs that virtuals are like a holiday. ... Now if we could do something about the 'easter egg' micros...
Again, I no longer hold this position regarding micros and I certainly believe that my attitude regarding their worthiness was wrong. Edited by sbell111

I have to say that I an not in "love" with mico caches, but I do like them for some situations. I live in the city, and have/do drive to the "wilderness" of the local desert to cache. However I REALLY like to hit a cache or two on my lunch break. Heck there is even one in the parking lot of my place of employment (not placed by me).

I do see both sides of the argument but in the city I do not feel larger caches are always feasable (is that spelled right?) My favorite micros are the LPC/Skirt caches. I really like em! Some of the micros I have found have taken me to interesting locations (i.e. Shelby World headquarters, on a Nevada Historical Marker, or the one on the windmill that I had to climb up to get). They are not all park and grabs.

I know that everyones "mileage may very" on micros but they have good and bad points. If your not in to them ignore them, if you are in to them cache away!

NOTE: I am not really into the swag. Mostly I am just a log signer (I do carry swag for "JIC"). The swag argument does not move me, but I do acknowledge it can be an issue for others. I am a sucker for a TB.

NOTE: I am noticing that I use a lot of quotation marks.

Happy Cacheing

Great point!

I also agree with AHOLLYS, micros do have a place in caching, you just have to have a need for them! Some are great for lunches or such, but some truly are simply lame (as are some bigger caches though).

What I always enjoyed the most about geocaching was loading my unit with cache waypoints and letting it guide me to interesting places. For the first few years I could do this. There was no need for research, as the overwhelming majority of caches were hidden in cools spots. Yeah, there was a clunker every now and then, but they were pretty far between. Now the situation has reversed in many areas.

It happens to be the way I enjoy the sport. I don't want to spend hours in front of my PC researching every potential cache hunt. That takes the fun out of it for me.

Even if I did research, it can only go so far. Maps and satellite images don't tell the whole story. I've found unique caches in mall parking lots, I've found outstanding guardrail caches, I found fascinating urban caches, I've found interesting caches hidden behind McDonalds. These are all caches that I probably would have ruled out if I went by the sat photos and maps.

Yeah, I know this whine of mine is getting old. But maybe a few people will read my posts and realize that not everybody is absolutely thrilled with their film canister hidden behind the strip mall dumpster, and try to make their next hides more memorable. If that happens, then my rant will have its intended result.

I don't think anybody here will say that more memorable caches are a bad thing .

First, I have found micros to be very useful for my puzzle cache hides. They aren't found as often as others, and, in my area at least, the big puzzlers are into geocoins, but not much swag. The purpose of the puzzles are the puzzles, so an easy micro find is a good option, though I do have some that are nice walks in the park, literally. (I do avoid puzzles that end in LPM)

Second, as many people have said in other threads, there are many aspects to the game including caching for puzzles, locations, and HIDES. There really are people who sometimes prefer an easy approach and spend 45 minutes searching for a tough micro. I believe there are appropriate places for these while others are found on those big power boxes.

Third, I just got back from a month long study abroad in Rome, Italy. Almost every cache I found was a micro. You really don't care too much though when the Coloseum is looming 50 feet away or your looking out over the Circus Maximus. In a busy city like this it is tough to hide small or regular caches at the most interesting places in the city. Granted I got pretty sick of caches hidden in the holes of stone walls, but micros were about the only route to go there.

December 21st, 2012 (The end of the Mayan Calendar). :D
Actually, I think you'd be hard pressed to find an older one than this:The Rise of the lame micro
Truthfully, I didn't search very hard. I did dredge up this post, however.
Lately, the middle Tennessee area has been so overwhelmed with micro caches scattered about like so many easter eggs that virtuals are like a holiday. ... Now if we could do something about the 'easter egg' micros...
Again, I no longer hold this position regarding micros and I certainly believe that my attitude regarding their worthiness was wrong.

Oh, I'm sure all those Lame Virtual/Locationless/Micro threads all are a blur. :D That is the oldest thread I can find with Micro in the title, that specifically refers to (some of) them being lame. It's also interesting to note the OP back then was almost totally alone in his opinion! I found older micro threads, but they tend to be about them being harder to find than a larger container.

I actually like this particuliar thead; we've heard from some old-timers who rarely set foot in the forums, and their differing opinions on the matter.

And Sbell, I was quite shocked at your response back in 2002 (which is from a lame locationless thread, I believe). You even used the "L" word, for pete's sake. :D

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

Frankly, I'm not moved to take action when someone pops in and states that he/she doesn't like finding certain caches and goes on to explain that he/she isn't willing to do anything to avoid them. The phrase 'boo hoo' comes to mind.

If someone didn't like a certain subset of caches and are making every effort to avoid them, but their fun is still being ruined, I might make a few suggestions to help them out.

"I hate these caches" combined with "I just dump all the caches to my GPSr and head out the door" does nothing to raise my sympathy level.

"Everyone should change to please me" is not a call to battle that I will ever support.

I dislike spinich, tofu, and eggplant. Therefore, I don't eat spinich, tofu, or eggplant. Those who like the stuff can have all of it they want. Then again, maybe I've just not been exposed to the proper preparation and/or presentation of these items. Luckily, there is enough variety of other items available to keep me healthy and happy.

I know that micros have their place, even to some extent the ones I hate and will later in this post complain about (for example, without micros, the only caches in Manhattan would probably be in Central Park and they'd probably get muggled all the time), but here's my problem with a lot of micros:

1) Very hard to find compared to many "traditional" caches. This turns off noobies who think all caches are "needle in haystack" finds.

2) Many areas are becoming to the point where after you find a few regular caches, the only caches to hunt for are micros unless you want to take a very long drive. I am fortunate that this isn't the case where I live, but in another recent ranting thread someone noticed (and showed proof) of this in Sacramento, CA for example.

3) Many micros are in extreme stealth situations where if "caught" at best you look weird/silly/stupid and at worst you have a potentially major run-in with police, as happened at this (I know this since I found it in the past) very simple/innocent Interstate rest area micro:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...e4-7da8f6e68587

Maybe there can be some kind of special "saturation regulation" for these kinds of hides....an example, if you want to hide a micro and more than x% (i.e. 80) of caches in an x mile radius (i.e. 10) of your hide are micros, the "528 ft. rule" gets expanded (i.e. your cache has to be at least 1/2 mile from any other micro). This would satisfy the legitimacy of micros and those who love them without it potentially poisoning the game.

Yes, I have hidden one (but just one out of 11 hides) of these kinds of things, but I actually chose a very isolated location to minimize muggle/police factor and made it unique.

For what it's worth, I'm going to toss in my newbie-two-cents.

The only reason that I can see for anyone to give a blanket dismissal of microcaches per se would be if that person making the dismissal is really into the "swag" factor.

To me, that seems to be the only drawback to the micro in-and-of-itself.

As others have already said, the problem is in the unimaginative placement of the micro. Even for the "micro in the woods" being debated in another thread, it seems to me more the fault of the placement of the cache rather than the size of the cache.

I really think that the subjects of these threads should substitute "lame placement" for "micro".

Frankly, I'm not moved to take action when someone pops in and states that he/she doesn't like finding certain caches and goes on to explain that he/she isn't willing to do anything to avoid them. The phrase 'boo hoo' comes to mind.

Oh but we ARE doing something. We come in here and post to encourage the the placement of caches in better containers, with more thought put into them, with better overall placement, etc....

Just asking that the bar get raised a bit IS doing something to avoid them.

I dislike spinich, tofu, and eggplant. Therefore, I don't eat spinich, tofu, or eggplant. Those who like the stuff can have all of it they want. Then again, maybe I've just not been exposed to the proper preparation and/or presentation of these items. Luckily, there is enough variety of other items available to keep me healthy and happy.

But what happens when the local stores and restaurants start selling nothing but spinach, tofu, and eggplant and you can't just go to the grocery store anymore to get the food you like? Instead you have spend hours researching grocery stores and drive miles out of your way to find a steak.

Edited by briansnat
Oh but we ARE doing something. We come in here and post to encourage the the placement of caches in better containers, with more thought put into them, with better overall placement, etc....

Asking for specific kinds of caches to go away does not lead those that enjoy those caches to action.
But what happens when the local stores and restaurants start selling nothing but spinach, tofu, and eggplant?
Please point me to an area with nothing but spinach, tofu, and eggplant stores.

(BTW, the answer to your question is that you get in the car and drive to a different store. Perhaps, you even might even verify that they don't sell just spinach, tofu, and eggplant before you get into the car.)

Edited by sbell111

Asking for specific kinds of caches to go away does not lead those that enjoy those caches to action.

Wow - big leap of logic there. Who asked for caches of any kind to "go away"??

Ummm, Let's see. There's the OP, Briansnat, and others.

Edited by sbell111

Ummm, Let's see. There's the OP, Briansnat, and others.

Well, I'll give you the OP. But we don't know, under his proposal, whether or not grandfathered "non-real cache containers" will be allowed to stay. :D