Caches Along a Route

Okay can anybody help with this one? We love doing the caches along a route, (especially now since 1frenchgirl lives in Salinas and the other frenchgirl is living part time in Sacramento). But here's the problem, when we go to google earth and establish the route, it doesn't give us the route we want to take. Usually we're caching on routes we know well and know shortcuts, better roads with less traffic, etc. but we can't figure out how to get google earth to give us an alternate route. I know that if you go to google maps, you can drag the route to a road you want it to be on, but I don't know if there is a way to get that info from google maps to google earth. Anybody have any ideas?

I'll take a stab at it.

I ran into this problem when planning a trip from So Cal to Oregon. We weren't going straight through, but were going off route to sightsee along the way. I set up shorter routes that took me from home, for instance, to a point where we were going to turn off the standard route. Then we set up a route from that point to our next point where we deviated from the new GE generated route. It's a little more work, but it actually worked out better for us in several ways.

I have also used mapsource to build a route and then used that. I just don't recall how I got that into GE, though. If I get a chance, I'll review that and post again.

I'm not sure if that is what you are getting at, but that is the way I understood your question.

...ran into this problem when planning a trip from So Cal to Oregon. We weren't going straight through, but were going off route to sightsee along the way. I set up shorter routes that took me from home, for instance, to a point where we were going to turn off the standard route. Then we set up a route from that point to our next point where we deviated from the new GE generated route.

That's the way I've done it, used several shorter routes rather than one long one. I assume Google Earth will soon have the same feature as Google maps, where you can drag your route and change it. That will make this a whole lot easier.

Thanks for the help, we have use the "lots of short routes" method. We just got a new NUVI and really like using it to get us close, then our old Garmin 60C to get the rest of the way, saves lots of time avoiding the wrong road. Problem is, we can only seem to load one PQ at a time to the NUVI, I know it's not really a geocaching device, but every time we load a second PQ to it, it deletes the first one. Yes we've told it not to, and it still does. Doesn't seem to be a solution to both problems! Thanks for the responses!

Thanks for the help, we have use the "lots of short routes" method. We just got a new NUVI and really like using it to get us close, then our old Garmin 60C to get the rest of the way, saves lots of time avoiding the wrong road. Problem is, we can only seem to load one PQ at a time to the NUVI, I know it's not really a geocaching device, but every time we load a second PQ to it, it deletes the first one. Yes we've told it not to, and it still does. Doesn't seem to be a solution to both problems! Thanks for the responses!

I have a Nuvi and a 60CS. I'm not sure of your exact problem when it comes to loading PQ's into the Nuvi. If you are trying to enter the PQs in your favorites section - sorry, I can't help you; but I do use the POI section. You need to download the free POI loader from Garmin for this.

You can add all your PQs to one GSAK database and export it as a GPX file (or you can just extract the files you received in your PQ - however, then the cache name is the GC number - which is confusing). You can also create several GSAK databases and export them all as GPX files into one folder on your PC. When you run POI Loader, it takes all those files and sends them to the Nuvi. I have mine go to the SD card.

When we get to the cache area using the Nuvi, we then use the 60CS. Hope this helps. I haven't had time to really work out all the many ways of doing this, but the above has worked well for me.

We've downloaded the POI loaded but maybe we're getting them to the Nuvi wrong. I've had the Nuvi connected to the computer, then run the POI loader, when I browse to find the file to run, I use the unzipped GSAK file on my desktop, I haven't actually had to go to GSAK. I didn't know it could browse GSAK. If I could have everything that I have in GSAK go to the Nuvi, that would be fine, I really use the PQ for the PDA. What kind of a file would I tell it to look for?

We've downloaded the POI loaded but maybe we're getting them to the Nuvi wrong. I've had the Nuvi connected to the computer, then run the POI loader, when I browse to find the file to run, I use the unzipped GSAK file on my desktop, I haven't actually had to go to GSAK. I didn't know it could browse GSAK. If I could have everything that I have in GSAK go to the Nuvi, that would be fine, I really use the PQ for the PDA. What kind of a file would I tell it to look for?

The .zip file you get should have two files inside: both are gpx files, one for the caches and one that has -wpt as part of it's name. The latter are the waypoints for parking, trailheads, etc. that the cache owner listed on the cache page. You need to use these two files because the .zip won't work. I double-click on the zip file and then, when it opens, I copy the two files to a folder called POI (any name will do) and then use POI loader to move these files to the Nuvi. I do rename them first so that I know which files I have in the Nuvi.

The problem with using the above method is that each cache is name GC2495, GCKDDY - you get the idea. If you create one or more databases from your PQs in GSAK, you can export them as gpx files to that folder and get the standard 8 digit (I think) name.

Once a week, I do a local PQ of 500 caches. Next month I'll drive to Vegas so I will add a PQ for the route and I will also combine several PQs of Vegas caches into one GSAK database. All three will be exported from GSAK as gpx files into my POI folder. I will then run POI loader and transfer all into my Nuvi.

There are probably better ways of doing this; and I know there are a lot smarter folks than I, but it works with minimum effort on my part.

There are some neat tricks in the thread Silly POI Tricks in the Off-topic area.

Another way to ccomplish this is to use Microsoft Streets and Trips. Trace out your route and then save it. Use GPS Babel to convert it to KML and then use it for Caches along a route. S&T goes for about $30 and is pretty nice software for offline map uses.

Also the Trip and Waypoint Manager that ships with many Garmin Units is good for creating custom routes and many folks have a copy laying around.

...ran into this problem when planning a trip from So Cal to Oregon. We weren't going straight through, but were going off route to sightsee along the way. I set up shorter routes that took me from home, for instance, to a point where we were going to turn off the standard route. Then we set up a route from that point to our next point where we deviated from the new GE generated route.

That's the way I've done it, used several shorter routes rather than one long one. I assume Google Earth will soon have the same feature as Google maps, where you can drag your route and change it. That will make this a whole lot easier.

HOWTO: Convert from Google Maps (with easy routing) to Google Earth KML for geocaching.com

By benh57.

0. Create your route on Google Maps - maps.google.com. Use the slick route-dragging feature to create the perfect route. Make sure it is under 500 miles - the distance is displayed on the left.

1. Once you have a route, click 'Link to this page'. That will give you a direct link to the route.

2. 'Copy' the direct link. Paste the link into your browser location bar. Don't hit return yet.

3. Add the parameter: &output=kml to the URL. Including the & character.

4. Hit return. Google Maps will create a KML file of your route to open in google earth. (but not geocaching.com!)

5. Once you are in google earth, click on the little triangle next to the route on the left sidebar.

6. Find the 'Route' - usually at the bottom of the 'directions' - little triangle icon

7. Right click the little triangle icon and save as KML

8. Upload your KML to gecaching.com

Done!

Now, this would be much easier if geocaching.com was able to import the KML from maps.google.com directly - or if they could integrate a google maps widget with road routing right into the site. But this works wonderfully.

Enjoy. I've used this for many caching trips.

HOWTO: Convert from Google Maps (with easy routing) to Google Earth KML for geocaching.com

By benh57.

0. Create your route on Google Maps - maps.google.com. Use the slick route-dragging feature to create the perfect route. Make sure it is under 500 miles - the distance is displayed on the left.

1. Once you have a route, click 'Link to this page'. That will give you a direct link to the route.

2. 'Copy' the direct link. Paste the link into your browser location bar. Don't hit return yet.

4. Hit return. Google Maps will create a KML file of your route to open in google earth. (but not geocaching.com!)

5. Once you are in google earth, click on the little triangle next to the route on the left sidebar.

6. Find the 'Route' - usually at the bottom of the 'directions' - little triangle icon

Done!

Now, this would be much easier if geocaching.com was able to import the KML from maps.google.com directly - or if they could integrate a google maps widget with road routing right into the site. But this works wonderfully.

Enjoy. I've used this for many caching trips.

I found this last week. Tried it and it works great!!!

By benh57.

Awesome! Thanks a lot!

There is also a thread in these forums where someone described making multiple KML files, and opening the routes in sequence in notepad, then editing them into one. Will come back and link if I can find it.

Awesome! Thanks a lot!

There is also a thread in these forums where someone described making multiple KML files, and opening the routes in sequence in notepad, then editing them into one. Will come back and link if I can find it.

That sounds like more work (and more error prone) than the output=kml method from google maps.

Hopefully Groundspeak will allow the site to accept google maps kml eventually.

Hmm, I'm liking the "&output=kml" trick. However, the route I created in Google Maps seems to get truncated somehow when I try and save it as a kml and open it in Google Earth.

Here's the route:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&...p;z=10&om=0

when I appended the "&output=kml" and open it in Google Earth, the route ends at my point B instead of J.

Any tips?

Thanks for the fun discussion,

MrW.

There's a third-party java script that will allow you to create a .gpx file directly from Google Maps to upload to Caching Along a Route.

goto the following page and about half way down is a box/link for gmaptogpx. right click and bookmark this link.

http://www.elsewhere.org/journal/gmaptogpx/

once you have your route created in google maps, click the link. it creates a text file that you then copy and paste into a notepad file. save it as "routename".gpx and then you can upload it as a gpx file into geocaching.com for caches along a route.

Original post

It worked great for me.

If you have Mapsource with City Navigator or Select and also have GSAK the following works great.

1. Set your route in Mapsource with two points as well as any via points you need. ( no need to do any point setting along route once you have it )

2. Save the file with your route as the older file format ".MPS"

3. In GSAK go to SEARCH then down to FILTER. Once here go to the Arc/Poly Tab. Down on the left side select GET POINTS FROM FILE and select the MPS file you created in Mapsource. On the right hand side of the Arc/Poly tab there is a box for "Distance in miles". Tell it how far to filter on each side of your route and then hit "go" at the bottom.

Now you have a list of caches along your route. Save it as a loc or gpx to your GPS.

By benh57.

Looks good... but either I'm not seeing something, or Google Earth has changed. I can follow down to step 5. There is no little triangle next to the route on the left sidebar. At least nothing I see.

Is there updated instructions, or am I missing something?

Jamie

GoogleEarth.jpg

Do you mean where it says "Route" at the very bottom there?

Ok... next question/problem: Like Cache Liberation Front, I'm noticing that the route gets truncated when I use the &output=kml. If I'm not mistaken, it appears that Google Maps doesn't output the kml beyond the first destination. Anyone find a workaround for this?

Jamie

Replying to this old topic what also has changed. Is the fact that you can now use GPX files for Custom Routes. All I have to do for routing is to trace a track on Map Source (Hitting t will bring up the feature) and do a back and fourth Scribble on the area I plan on being in along with the route up too 500 miles in length. (To Check Route Length while drawing just highlight the route and select route properties, it will give you distance there.) This new feature is helpful for Concentrated area searching along with deciding to take one route there and another one back home. Remember the distance limit from the Route is 5 miles so if you wanna find stuff in between make sure you don't have more than a 5 mile gap.