"Downtown / Main Street USA: town, state" caches

Thought I'd mention this caching series here...

It has become very popular in NJ & there are also some in Ga. & NY...

All are modeled off the first cache... Downtown / Main Street USA: Edison, NJ (GC11H9K)...

to date there are 34 caches listed...

This is a series by TwoCat...

And it would be great if people would place these caches all over...

These are generally easy caches that bring you to a bit of Americana...

(some are no so easy, but fun)...

I'm posting this in the hope there will be interest to keep this series going all around the USA...

(or maybe start some in other countries???)...

Just remember to e-mail TwoCat so they can update their page with bookmarks for each state...

and use the following format to name the cache:

" Downtown / Main Street USA: town, state "

here's a quote from the original cache page to help you place your own...

"Our hope is that new Downtown / Main Street USA caches will start popping up all over the USA. You too can place one:

1. Find a Downtown and/or Main Street and place your cache.

2. Name the Cache: “Downtown / Main Street USA: (town name, state)”

3. In the cache description include the following paragraph: “This cache is part of the “Downtown / Main Street USA" series. Please visit the cache that started it all - Downtown / Main Street USA: Edison, NJ. Here you will find the latest count of caches in the series and find out how you can add your own."

4. When your cache gets approved, e-mail us the waypoint and we will add it to the list of Downtown / Main Street USA caches on this cache page."

Edited by Peconic Bay Sailors

Can you rename an existing cache?

mmmm... good question... I'd ask a moderator or send an e-mail to Groundspeak...

I do think it can be done if you just go to your cache and click on "edit lising"...

Then just change the cache "nickname" field...

but I have never done that... so I don't know if it works...

and i don't know what that would do to any existing finders cache logs???

BUT that is a good way to add an existing cache to the series...

Hope I have not "opened a can of worms" for TwoCat here...

They may have a lot of cache page updating to do!!!!

Why not archive the existing cache, then create a new cache page to fit the above mentioned guidelines? That way the cache will have a new GC# and the people who have already found it can refind and relog it without incurring the wrath of the one cache = one smiley people. A couple of caches in our area have been revamped and the descriptions invite people to "come find it again and log another smiley," but we choose not to do that because it just doesn't feel right to us. The only time we did log the same cache twice was when one was changed from a micro to a full-size cache and rehidden a few hundred feet away. It is a cache originally placed by a person who is now deceased, so in order to maintain the cache's history and the original owner's memory, the current owners chose not to archive it even though it is a radically different hide now. At the new owners' invite the locals have all revisited the cache and relogged it, but otherwise we would not feel comfortable doing so.

This series caught my eye a few months ago, but I haven't yet hidden one. I'd like to though!

mmmm... good question... I'd ask a moderator or send an e-mail to Groundspeak...

I do think it can be done if you just go to your cache and click on "edit lising"...

Then just change the cache "nickname" field...

but I have never done that... so I don't know if it works...

and i don't know what that would do to any existing finders cache logs???

BUT that is a good way to add an existing cache to the series...

Hope I have not "opened a can of worms" for TwoCat here...

They may have a lot of cache page updating to do!!!!

It doesn't do anything to the find logs or find counts of people who have already logged the cache. All that happens is at some point they will be looking at their list of found caches and see the new name and wonder what the heck cache that was! Then when they click on it and read the description, they will understand. However, I think it would be much nicer to archive the old cache, go replace the logsheet and make sure the container is intact and the coords are good, then write up a new description. Especially now, since so much of the country is in the grip of frigid weather that makes long hikes unpleasant...people would appreciate being able to log a quick find on Main Street. I know I would!

Hey... let's get back to the original topic now...

create some Downtown / Main Street USA caches...

I placed one yesterday in Podunk, NY. Podunk doesn't have a Main St. nor a "downtown". It's mostly an intersection of a couple of rural roads with a few houses nearby.

This Page has pretty much all the information one can find on the internet about Podunk, NY.

Edited by NYPaddleCacher
3. In the cache description include the following paragraph: “This cache is part of the “Downtown / Main Street USA" series. Please visit the cache that started it all - Downtown / Main Street USA: Edison, NJ. Here you will find the latest count of caches in the series and find out how you can add your own."

This cache is right at Main Street, USA, but it predates the referenced one by five years.

This cache is right at Main Street, USA, but it predates the referenced one by five years.

You could always rename it to conform to the requirements... and get it added to the list...

Hey... let's get back to the original topic now...

create some Downtown / Main Street USA caches...

I placed one yesterday in Podunk, NY. Podunk doesn't have a Main St. nor a "downtown". It's mostly an intersection of a couple of rural roads with a few houses nearby.

This Page has pretty much all the information one can find on the internet about Podunk, NY.

Just rename it... if you look at our Downtown / Main Street: Peconic, NY... that is about the same...

just a bar & antique store & Post Office at the junction of the LIRR...

The train hasn't stopped there since the invention of the automobile...

don't blink or you'll miss it!!!

and I have been in Podunk, NY many years ago...

at least I thinkso... I may have blinked...

This series has officially been expaned to 4 states with approved caches!

New Jersey

Georgia

New York

Utah

Thanks PBS for putting this on the forums. We had no idea you had until we received word the the Utah cache was placed and approved.

Keep them coming!

You could always rename it to conform to the requirements... and get it added to the list...
I think not.

Just rename it... if you look at our Downtown / Main Street: Peconic, NY... that is about the same...

just a bar & antique store & Post Office at the junction of the LIRR...

The train hasn't stopped there since the invention of the automobile...

don't blink or you'll miss it!!!

Don't tempt me, PBS. Got my eye on a town that doesn't have a main street, nor a downtown. Not sure if it even has a town! Go-go bar and a laundromat. Does that count? :rolleyes:

Well if Virtuals are accepted I can change the Cache Name and put it in the series. And this cache shows what the Main Street was about 100 years ago and what it is now.

If you are willing to rename the cache we will accept it at it does seem to fit the bill! The other option is to hide a new cache in the same area - I believe there is a 25 ft rule on virtuals.

If you decide to do either one, change the name or hid a new one, just shoot us an email so we can get the Colorado bookmark going.

Well if Virtuals are accepted I can change the Cache Name and put it in the series. And this cache shows what the Main Street was about 100 years ago and what it is now.

If you are willing to rename the cache we will accept it at it does seem to fit the bill! The other option is to hide a new cache in the same area - I believe there is a 25 ft rule on virtuals.

If you decide to do either one, change the name or hid a new one, just shoot us an email so we can get the Colorado bookmark going.

Name's been changed and the E Mail is enroute.

There's a town in these parts that is said to have the shortest Main St. of any town in the United States. Haven't been able to find any confirmation of this, just a bit of a local legend I guess, but that might make it worthy of a cache.

Just curious...I live in a small town that has a "Main Street" but it isn't the main street through town (It probably was 150 years ago)...which one would it go on?

It's entirely up to you - either one would work. Or make it a multi!

This is great! We just moved to NC, so I'm still getting a feel for the area, but when I go to place a new cache, I'll have to remember this series " :huh:

We had a TON of really great puzzle/multi caches in Savannah, GA and most of the ones here are traditionals. Might be time to inject a little mystery into the caching scene here :huh:

18 states... :wub::wub::)

New Jersey

Georgia

New York

Utah

West Virginia

Nevada

Colorado

Wyoming

North Carolina

Pennsylvania

Illinois

South Carolina

Maryland

Indiana

Texas

Kansas

Arizona

Maine

We've run out of bookmarks so we are going to have to rearrange them by region. We should have the new bookmarks soon!

Keep em coming!

Edited by TwoCat

We have an awesome Main Street. It is a Historical District & I am trying to work it out to actually take the cacher on a little walking tour ending with an actual cache rather than just a micro with log to sign. I havent quite gotten it down yet but hope to this week maybe. Hopefully no one else will do 1 here before me. I think this is a very cool idea. Mother Wolf