Cache Containers

I am new to Geocaching and have gone on a few exspodition to a number of caches and have found them in many diffrent contaners. I am thinking of starting my own cach and would like to know what some of the other cachers use for their contatners. This Question stemed from a debate I had with my self to use a naglen bottal for a cach contaner.

Thanks

TheRussian163

A Nalgene bottle works great, as do small tins. I get those in different shapes and sizes at local Thrift Stores. If a cache is popular and found frequently, the Lock 'n Lock tabs can break off from use.

The best "Regular-size" containers are ammo cans, painted to cover the markings on the outside.

This is a tough one to answer because if you ask 100 people, you will get 100 different answers.

Many people also believe that newbies should gain more experience before placing their own cache as they will get to see more of a varied range of containers and find out for themselves what they like and what they don't.

That being said, the generally accepted containers are usually something with a good weather seal, such as the famous Lock-N-Lock food storage containers, or ammo boxes.

I personally have seen many containers that work, and ones that don't. Everywhere from a log book wrapped up in a simple plastic grocery bag and stuffed under a rock, to elaborate hand-made containers. I can also tell you that the large PVC tubes that people seem to hand-make NEVER seem to be weather-proof, no matter how many O-ring gaskets they tend to use.

What I use, and prefer, is for large containers, use an ammo can (which you can buy pretty cheap at Princess Auto). For regular containers, I use the Lock-N-Lock containers (buy the name brand ones, not the Dollar-store version. There's a reason why the Dollar Store ones are only a dollar...). And for Micros, I like to use the weather-proof match tubes that you can buy at many camping stores and Wal-Mart.

Basically, if it's weather-proof, both you and your finders will always be happy.

Indeed, you will find many answers to your question. But it is always good to know what the numerous options are out there because with so many opinions, someone is bound to come up with a new idea.

For a good idea of the more common Geocache containers, follow the link below. You can find many different "commonly" used cache containers that you will find on a regular basis out in the field. As the others have said, there are numerous different places to buy ammo cans and lock and locks and many other suitable containers.

Best bet is to start with a weatherproof container and then let your imagination make it into something unique! I know I love to see when someone has really put the effort into personalizing their cache.

I like ammo cans the best, and I'm stopping by our local Army surplus this week to pick up a few (I'm new, and looking for places to put my first caches).

For the smaller ones, I also like the orange waterproof match containers. I bought a few of those the other day, and they were less than a buck each. I have camoed one already with spraypaint and it looks terrific.

I saw these plastic (lexan?) containers in a store the other day that were designed to put your camera, wallet, etc. in while (for instance) boating, and they looked pretty well designed for geocaching purposes. I'll see if I can find a link to a photo of one. They might be a good alternative to an ammo can when you need something just a *little* bit smaller.

Most people prefer Ammo Boxes...

BUT... good Rubbermaid & Lok'n Lok's are also good...

Bison tubes...

magnetic Hide-a-Key boxes, provided it is in a place where water will not intrude...

Basically any continer that does not look like something that does not look "dangerous"...

Keep in mind water intrusion and the elements in the environment...

Contiers like old "peanut butter" jars are good...

as long as the area does not go below freezing, then they tend to crack, and get water intrusion...

We have a few "homemade" containers...

i.e. a hollowed out log with an M&M's tube inside...

I have even seen one "gag plastic dog poop" holllowed out with a bison tube inside...

Use your immagination...

but remember.. sturdier & waterproof is best...

Edited by Peconic Bay Sailors

Far and away the most frequent mistake I see is using soft plastic (generally polyethylene) containers in locations exposed to direct sunlight. You are lucky if these last a year. If the location never, and I mean NEVER, receives direct sunlight, then polyethylene is good for several years. Polyethylene also, as previously noted, is highly susceptible to being chewed on. Even when the plastic does not actually crack, it often deforms so that it cannot seal.

Polycarbonate withstands both sunlight and chewing, but you have a lot fewer choices. Nalgene water bottles are all polycarbonate these days. (When Nalgene came into the hiking market some 25 years ago, they sold polyethylene water bottles. Mine all died long ago just in storage. Some other Nalgene products are still polyethylene.) In my kitchen I have a Rubbermaid container whose bottom part is polycarb, but the lid is not; it would not last in the sun.

I do wish that someone would make containers similar to ammo cans but constructed of polycarbonate -- all clear polycarb except for a flexible rubber seal. Including some in sizes smaller than regular ammo cans.

Cookie tins and similar items rust. Always in my limited experience. Even in southern California.

Some reused food containers last pretty well, others decay immediately. I haven't figured out how to predict.

The assumption that because something holds water securely, or keeps water out when submerged, means it will be waterproof as a cache container is NOT TRUE. Outside, a container will be subject to a lot more changes of pressure and temperature, which often compromise a seal which performed well under more benign conditions. Go by what others have learned. There was a thread a while back showing that Kodak-style 35mm film canisters (the most popular kind) leak like a sieve. The Fuji-style aren't perfect but stand up better.

Of the caches I've placed, I used ammo cans for six. (I like hiking, so these are fairly remote.) I placed one that had to go in a space too small for an ammo can, and a previous cache in the location had been constantly wet, so I used a container from The Waterproof Store. Nope, it wasn't cheap, but it seems to have made a lot of finders happy. I've also replaced the container on several old caches, and used ammo cans for all -- these were caches that had already been around for 5+ years so I figured it was worth a container that would last.

Edward

magnetic Hide-a-Key boxes, provided it is in a place where water will not intrude...

These are not good for caches, I have seen lots of them used and the logs in most have them have beeb soaked from moisture getting into them.

If they are placed in a location that is not subject to rain and the log is in a baggie, they should be fine.

These are not good for caches, I have seen lots of them used and the logs in most have them have beeb soaked from moisture getting into them.

If they are placed in a location that is not subject to rain and the log is in a baggie, they should be fine.

Well, the hard part is trying to find a place outdoors were it does not rain or get fog. We get rain and fog in Northern ca. the fog gets into places were the rain does not go, just being in a places that does not get exposed directly to the rain is not enough.

baggies for the logs, it seems that after just a few finds the baggie has been damaged and is not longer waterproof, them the hidder does not use a small baggie, they use a large one and when the hide-a-key is closed it rips a hole in the baggie.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

Well, the hard part is trying to find a place outdoors were it does not rain or get fog. We get rain and fog in Northern ca. the fog gets into places were the rain does not go, just being in a places that does not get exposed directly to the rain is not enough.

baggies for the logs, it seems that after just a few finds the baggie has been damaged and is not longer waterproof, them the hidder does not use a small baggie, they use a large one and when the hide-a-key is closed it rips a hole in the baggie.

Obviously, the answer is to use an appropriately sized baggie and provide whatever maintenance your cache needs.