Best UK Maps?

Chalky723

Hi All,

Just wondering - what is the best Mapping Software for the UK that I can use on my Garmin 60csx?

I'm looking for something that'll show me footpaths ets as it'll be used on walking holidays as well as Caching....

Topo V2 doesn't show footpaths aparrently??

Cheers,

Chalky

Topo V2 doesn't show footpaths apparently??

Whoever told you that has obviously never used Topo UK.

The US version has far less detail and isn't routeable, but if you have a Garmin, just surf for a good price and buy it. It's a steal for what you get. Besides, there is no alternative.

Get a copy of Memory Map too if you can, though you can't load it onto a Garmin it's an unbeatable combination.

It may not have many footpaths marked, but I find the accurate water plotting (streams, rivers etc) highly valuable.

On my Quest I used to use the free SMC contours overlaid on top of City Navigator (which made the unit very sluggish when used in Car Navigation mode), but City Navigator doesn't have accurate water information - as I'd often find a cache was on the other side of a stream!

The Topo detail is spot on, even down to the odd bits of water you'd think no one would ever bother mapping - it's proved invaluable when out on the moors.

As the others have said, if you want topographic detail then Garmin's Topo V2 is the only one available. It's routable, shows most public rights of way and the other stuff like rivers, canals and railway lines are highly accurate. One thing to remember.... if you look at the demo on Garmin's web site, because of licensing restrictions from O.S. the detail you see there is not a true representation of what you will see on you 60CSx. It will be better on the 60 :ph34r: