Garmin software

mdg2003

I just got my Garmin 60 csx and bought Topo 2008 and to use with the unit. I am just wondering if City Navigator NT would be worth the money to have when traveling in other cities. From what I can tell so far the street info in Topo is pretty detailed for my area and even includes dirt farm roads that are on private property. Can anyone tell me from personal experience what I would gain from buying city nav that I don't already have in Topo?

Next question concerns the National park 24k series. The main reason I bought the gpsr was to use for hiking. We use the National Park system pretty extensively and while I was able to keep a good handle on where we were with a map and compass, I figured it was a prime opportunity for me to get a new "wife approved" toy. What do I stand to gain from using Topo 2008 vs. NP 24k ? Has anyone used both of these products within the NP system? Looking at the Garmin website, they have a comparison window of sorts. I entered a spot in Glacier I was familiar with and compared both products. I really couldn't see a difference worth spending 100 bucks for. Are the trails listed in more detail? Any input here would be greatly appreciated, Thanks in advance.

I bought the City Navigator maps as soon as I got a GPS unit that was capable of auto-routing. Getting those maps will pay for themselves in a short time with gas and time saved if you travel to unfamiliar areas frequently.

I'm not familiar with the NPS maps and don't know if you really need them if you have the other Topo maps.

Let me add to the previous post. I didn't think I would really need City Navigator until after I bought it and used it for a while. I use it to find my way around all the cities that I end up working in, but what really made me decide that I couldn't live without it was geocaching. When I was using my topo I would kind of guess on how to drive to a cache site. This ended up in me doing a lot of needless driving. Now I use City Navigator and auto route to the closest street to the cache. In town this means I will be at the cache and use a lot less gas. In the rural areas it means I will at least be on the right road 90% of the time. The only time this has not been the case is when there is a lot of vertical changes in elevation. The closest road sometimes is several hundred feet above or below the cache.

I think I was hoping to hear that the auto routing feature really IS that good! Hopefully it will prevent the navigation "discussions" we get into in new cities using the rental car maps. Guess I will go ahead and spring for Navigator. Anyone out there with input on the NP topo?

I was also wondering if anyone has City Navigator NT in a Vista CX? If so how does it behave in the unit, I currently have metroguide version5 installed.

I have CN NT on my Vista Cx and my Vista HCx. It behaves... as expected. It does everything as advertised. Is there some particular functionality you want to know about?

The only times I really do autorouting with the Vistas is when I'm a passenger in someone else's car. It's small, and it doesn't talk, but it ususally sells them on getting some sort of GPS unit for their car!

I was also wondering if anyone has City Navigator NT in a Vista CX? If so how does it behave in the unit, I currently have metroguide version5 installed.

I have City Navigator NT in a Vista HCx (not a Cx). Based on some problems I've been having with it (described at length in this thread), I personally wouldn't get the NT maps again -- I'd get the non-NT ones instead, if I had it to do all over again.

Hermit crabs has now raised another question for me. Is there any advantage for me to use NT or the regular version of CN? I'll have to look again, but I think I saw the non NT version was cheaper at online sources. If it runs just the same on my GPSr .... why spend the extra** ? I understand that the difference is file compression, but how does that translate to my use of the GPSr in the real world?

Edited by mdg2003

I think I was hoping to hear that the auto routing feature really IS that good! Hopefully it will prevent the navigation "discussions" we get into in new cities using the rental car maps. Guess I will go ahead and spring for Navigator. Anyone out there with input on the NP topo?

I've heard that the National Parks 24k Topo maps support auto-routing on the trails, which is kind of cool, if not terribly useful.