Event Caches & Travel Bugs

NightShift79

recently i was looking at an event cache page for an upcoming event and i noticed people posting notes where they were doing a travel bug drop. what exactly does this mean seeing as tho the event cache isnt a physical container and nothing can be "dropped" into it? does it mean that the user will be bringing the 'dropped' travel bug in question to the event for others to 'retrieve' it?

Sometimes all it takes is to have a table close by. Besides, it gives a dropping off spot for the TBs and gives them credit for traveling and keeping track of it (maybe) :yikes:

what i was asking tho is when a person posts a "dropped tb" note on an event cache page BEFORE the event has taken place, does this mean that they are dropping the bug in the cache page's inventory with the intent to bring it to the event and drop it on, for example, a table (or in the bed of a pickup)? is that sort of drop just a way to get it in the event's inventory before it happens so that it is present when the next person grabs it at the event?

Sometimes all it takes is to have a table close by. Besides, it gives a dropping off spot for the TBs and gives them credit for traveling and keeping track of it (maybe) :yikes:

what i was asking tho is when a person posts a "dropped tb" note on an event cache page BEFORE the event has taken place, does this mean that they are dropping the bug in the cache page's inventory with the intent to bring it to the event and drop it on, for example, a table (or in the bed of a pickup)? is that sort of drop just a way to get it in the event's inventory before it happens so that it is present when the next person grabs it at the event?

Yep, you got it. The bug is dropped before it went to the location. (Backwards from all other caches)

While things usually go well for the bug, in my opinion there can be pitfalls. Such as dropping it too far in advance and not moving the bug within a reasonable amount of time, like three months in advance. And sometimes in the mad shuffle, bugs fall through the cracks and never get logged back out.

Again in my opinion, the average event doesn't add anything to the bug's movement that couldn't be done by leaving it in the nearest cache, and probably puts it at a greater risk of being lost.

Edited by BlueDeuce

It is also a way to promote the event. Some people might get more excited about attending if they see a long list of TBs that will be available. :D

Again in my opinion, the average event doesn't add anything to the bug's movement that couldn't be done by leaving it in the nearest cache, and probably puts it at a greater risk of being lost.

Sure it does :D I usually don't drop them off until I get home, but if a bug has a specific goal, I'll bring it to an event and ask around to give it to somebody who can help it. I prefer not to let them out of my sight until I know who they're leaving the event with.... but the person who ends up taking the bug may not have visited that cache next, so the event helps the bug by connecting more people at once :o

I left one of my own in a basket once, it was a good few weeks of anxiety until it was retrieved....

although the basket was a really easy way of fishing through the available bugs for ones I could help (but ohhhhh the guilt when I discovered a cuuuuuuuute little guy that also took as long as mine to be logged, I thought it was missing and my fault for not taking it when I saw it)