Travel bugs, posting cache comments

mdg2003

Hi everyone. Last weekend we went geocaching for the first time. The kids had a blast and we will likely hit the ground running this weekend too. We found a travel bug on our second cache. Not knowing what to do with it we left it. I see now that people want them to be moved. Is there a way to find out ahead of time where they want it moved? Is it considered taboo to pick one up and then move it in the wrong direction?

Also I see postings listed below the cache home pages. I found a cache that was in poor condition and would like to update this info to the owner. How do I post a message to the logged visits threads on the cache page? Thanks .........

As stated above you can check the cache page and check the mission of the TB before hand. I seldom do this because I'm not that organized and don't necessarily know what caches I'll be looking for ahead of time. Occasionally a TB will have it's mission and goals attached to it or in a Ziplock with it, but not usually. IMO it is difficult to screw up the mission of most TB's too badly, especially if you are moving them around your local area. That being said I do not usually pick up TB's if I'm on vacation unless there's info with the TB on where it's going. I've never been reprimanded by an owner for moving one the wrong direction, only for holding on to them too long...keep 'em moving.

I found a cache that was in poor condition and would like to update this info to the owner. How do I post a message to the logged visits threads on the cache page? Thanks .......

Make sure you are logged into the system

Return to the listing page

click the log my visit link in the upper right

Choose a "note" or "Needs Maintenance" log and leave detailed notes for the owner about the condition.

If you are also posting a found log - you can just include your comment in the found log.

Also I see postings listed below the cache home pages. I found a cache that was in poor condition and would like to update this info to the owner. How do I post a message to the logged visits threads on the cache page? Thanks .........

Hi, and welcome to the forums, and to geocaching!

To post a log on the cache page you need to go to the cache page and click on the link in the upper right corner that says Log your visit. This will take you to a page where you select the type of log from a drop-down menu. If you haven't already done so you want to log that you found the cache, so choose Found It. Select the date you found the cache, and write some interesting comments about your visit. If the cache requires maintenance you could mention that here, but it will get more attention if you post a Needs Maintenance log, which you would do separately. So after you log that you found the cache, go back and log it again only this time choose Needs Maintenance, and describe the problem. This will send a separate alert to the owner. Next time if you pick up a Travel Bug you will need to log that separately as well. You do that from the bug's home page, which you access using the number on the metal tag.

Good luck and have fun caching!

edited to add that StarBrand types much faster than I do!

Edited by Belfrypotters

Unless a bug is really close to reaching its mission it is really hard for it to be a bad move, IMO. You might take a bug in the "wrong" direction and the next person picks it up there and helps it move a lot further in the "right" direction. Other times you'll think you have really helped a bug reach its goal only to find out the cache you placed it in went missing a day later.

Just to chime in here, if the bug doesn't have an attached goal/mission tag you probably aren't going to hurt it much by moving it a few miles. Or take it home and check the mission then.

If you are taking a real long trip and you're unsure about the goal you probably shouldn't move it.

Most important, if you pick up and drop the bug before you've done any online logging, make sure to write down the tracking number! :yikes: