Looking for a handheld for geocaching

My wife bought me a TomTom One XL for Christmas. It works great but while geocaching it gets me close to the cache, but I need a hand held to find most of the caches. I am retired and don't want to spend a ton of money on one but would appreciate any advice that someone can give me as to a good unit at a decent price.

Thank you and you can e-mail me at buckeyebill@bellsouth. :D

Garmin GPSmap 60 CSx, a very good device.

Does anyone else find spending upwards of 500.00 on a GPS a little frustrating that it takes another 100.00+ to add maps? OOPs forgot the extra expense of upgrading a worthless 64MB chip to a 2meg?.

Mine came from Bass Pro Shops bundled with MapSource and a dash mount for less than that two years ago, and they're down to under $300 on the 'net now.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Does anyone else find spending upwards of 500.00 on a GPS a little frustrating that it takes another 100.00+ to add maps? OOPs forgot the extra expense of upgrading a worthless 64MB chip to a 2meg?.

I don't. I use the aforementioned Yellow Etrex H, $99 at my local sporting goods store. The H gets excellent reception and is really all you need for geocaching.

I got a 2 gig card for $10.00, not exactly a huge expense. City Navigator, however was a little more. :D

I recently ordered a total of 10 (10!!!) Garmin Geko 201 handhelds from a place called www.edgegps.com (no affiliation).

I had asked a couple of weeks ago in the Garage about getting some cheap receivers for my kids to match the one I have (a Geko 101), and after some searching saw where these guys were selling the 201s for $49.99.

The reason I ordered so many is: 4 for my kids, 1 for a colleague, and 5 I got to donate to a place called Camp Boggy Creek, which is a place for kids with chronic medical conditions (our family has camped there a couple of times).

Here is the link to the 201:

http://www.edgegps.com/eCart/viewItem.html?idProduct=104

I ended up ordering holsters from Amazon (10 bucks apiece) and a cable to download waypoints quickly (I think that was about 12 bucks delivered).

These don't have the bells and whistles that newer units have, but they are WAAS-capable, and my 101 has been very reliable (I think I got it like 5 or 6 years ago).

You guys don't know how lucky you are. When I bought mine in the UK in May 2006 it cost £400 (RRP was £500) and Topo UK was £145. This was the best deal you could get anywhere for a UK GPSmap60 CSx. That's well over $1000 without the memory card.

Although prices have dropped dramatically recently, this was the cost for at least a year.

I found my first 500 or so with a Garmin eTrex Yellow, since then I have owned a Garmin Ique 3600, Garmin 76, Garmin GPSmap 60 CSx, Magellan Meridian, Magellan SportTrack and a Magellan Meridian Platinum.

Except for the Ique all of them were good devices.

All of them, from the Yellow I gave $25 and a basketful of Marlboro coupons for to the 60CSx I gave ~$450 for got me to the cache, with surprisingly similar accuracy.

Features make the difference, not performance.

Determine the feature set that you need... maps, color screen, extended battery life, waterproof, external antenna, whatever, then buy the GPS that meets your needs.

If you always cache in your car you may not need maps... if you ever travel and rent a car you may regret that decision.

Regardless, look at features rather than technical specifications and price to determine the 'best' GPS for you.

What are you talking about? I've had mine almost two years now and paid $300 for it. And a 2MB micro is like what...$20 now or less? But, yeah, if I had to do it over again...I wouldn't mind dropping $500 on it if I had to. Great device.

Edited by egami

I don't. I use the aforementioned Yellow Etrex H, $99 at my local sporting goods store. The H gets excellent reception and is really all you need for geocaching.

I'm new to geocaching, and have yet to buy a handheld. I'm tempted to get the Garmin 60csx, but read that it is hard to load waypoints, and doesn't USB to Macs. You mention the Extrex H as a good alternative (and $200 cheaper!). Does the Extrex H need additional memory cards or extras, or is it ready out of the box...