Street names don't appear with CN on Garmin Colorado

Manatee87

There are ways to make Garmin listen.

1. Email. techsupp@garmin.com or my.garmin.com (need to register before post, stupid)

2. Phone.

Not sure what is best. But if many people call or email to complain, they may listen

For my last past 5 years with Garmin GPS, they seem to walk their own way when making software. Not listen at all. We have had long wish list for 60CS, but nothing was done.

Why not like Anders say, no advance mode?

I have not seen Colorado yet, but removing road names, stupid.

How does it display POI compare to 60CSx? Can you set zoom lever, or like Nüvi not possible to see POI, only when zooming all the way in?

The first statement alludes to : mutual exclusivity, why does that have to be, why not have both?

I'm not even going to comment on the second one!

Norm

As they have found out, at Garmin, that many users have trouble using their GPS units, due to them being too complex and stuffed with too many different features. So they try to make it easier by making as much as possible automatic, or at least not user adjustable. Sometimes then some things are sacrificed to make other things easier to do. It will not suit everyone, of course.

That's not an issue for people who write here, of course, as they are often more experienced than many other users.

I can't speak for all, but I do know one beta tester who certainly uses the units under test. Every day.

But there are of course things that pass by. One example is using nRoute. I've used it once with an eTrex Vista, to see if it worked, then ditched it as too inconvenient and bulky a thing to bring along in my car. Besides, if I did want that, I would much prefer one of these small GPS pucks as a position transmitter, not a unit like the Colorado. So I didn't see the lack of support for that, via USB, as any issue at all.

Finally, I wanted to inform you about that you don't have to spend time on the phone, writing e-mails, sending letters or generating smoke signals to tell Garmin about that particular issue, as it's already where they need to know to fix it. If you consider your efforts in describing the problem to them would bring a solution out sooner or better, then by all means, feel free to communicate it to them as you like. I was simply giving a friendly hint to tell you that your valuable time could be used pursuing other bugs, so that it may add more improvements to the Colorado.

Anders :

I feel I must apologize for my being somewhat 'brusque', I feel that your input on all of these matters

is valuable, and astute, I don't wish to jeopardize that luxury being afforded to those interested in these

new receivers! I appreciate your efforts, Thank-you!

I'm liking your thoughts towards having an expert and novice modes, that would be "most excellent"

if workable.

Norm

Today is the first day that I have had a chance to really see the 400t work with the mapping. This is after installing both the firmware and chipset updates last night. I hate to break it to everyone but it looks like the street names are there. Today while driving a route all of the street names came up ahead of me for a ways. Granted I would like to see a little wider view of this it looked like about three blocks ahead of me and to the sides. I believe this might be an intentional feature to keep the map from being to cluttered with text but I have nothing to back that up. I was set on 800 feet and had a route entered. I am not sure if this is something related to the updates or if it was already working that way. The problem with this feature of of course is that you don't see any street names if you are not moving. I have been doing my fare share of complaining about the problems with the Colorado so it is only right to say something when I find something working or at least makes some sense in what it is doing.

Just for those who might ask. I am using City Select not City Navigator.

Today is the first day that I have had a chance to really see the 400t work with the mapping. This is after installing both the firmware and chipset updates last night. I hate to break it to everyone but it looks like the street names are there. Today while driving a route all of the street names came up ahead of me for a ways. Granted I would like to see a little wider view of this it looked like about three blocks ahead of me and to the sides. I believe this might be an intentional feature to keep the map from being to cluttered with text but I have nothing to back that up. I was set on 800 feet and had a route entered. I am not sure if this is something related to the updates or if it was already working that way. The problem with this feature of of course is that you don't see any street names if you are not moving. I have been doing my fare share of complaining about the problems with the Colorado so it is only right to say something when I find something working or at least makes some sense in what it is doing.

Yes, some of the street names appear when you're navigating, in automotive mode. What I'm looking for is to see the street names even when you're just holding the unit in your hand -- like when someone asks you, "What street should I turn on to get to the zoo?" -- and you take your GPSr and scroll around the map until you see the right street... and read the name. I can do that on my 60s, and I can do it on my eTrexes. Sure, I can hide the display of street names if I choose. But to not make it available on the fancy new model that is suposed to be the successor to the ones I already own?

If they don't fix this, the old units are going to get like the old American cars in Cuba, with people going to extreme means to keep them alive. Garmin is the best, but they have to continue working to stay there. The Colorado isn't a cheap GPSr. It should have all the features of its predecessors -- plus some great additions.

Peter

Yes some of the street names show up if you are moving in a car. If you are going slow or just walking the names are not there. This is a hand held unit and if you try walking in the city with the unit it does not show the street names, kinda dumb if you ask me.

I am happy that i bought my colorado from REI because i have just about had it with this downgrade over priced unit and plan on returning it.

I need to correct myself in that the parallel streets do not show up at all. Only cross streets and then only about three blocks out. And then you have to have the setting at 800 feet for it to update as you are moving. I will step out on a limb that I am sure someone will cut off right behind me. I don't disagree that there are major problems with the Colorado but, they have only been out a week and they have already updated both the firmware and chipset. I am willing to see where things go before I write off the 400t. I do like many of the features. We will be at the meet and greet in Seattle Saturday and I hope they have good things to tell us. In the mean time these forums have been so much help for those of us who have purchased the Colorado model. We are getting a lot more information from each other than Garmin so in theory we are our own beta testers.

I need to correct myself in that the parallel streets do not show up at all. Only cross streets and then only about three blocks out. And then you have to have the setting at 800 feet for it to update as you are moving. I will step out on a limb that I am sure someone will cut off right behind me. I don't disagree that there are major problems with the Colorado but, they have only been out a week and they have already updated both the firmware and chipset. I am willing to see where things go before I write off the 400t. I do like many of the features. We will be at the meet and greet in Seattle Saturday and I hope they have good things to tell us. In the mean time these forums have been so much help for those of us who have purchased the Colorado model. We are getting a lot more information from each other than Garmin so in theory we are our own beta testers.

I know I saw a compiled list of issues posted somewhere in the Colorado threads. A Garmin techie e-mailed me today and stated that a detailed list of issues/problems/wishes would be nice.

Maybe you, or someone else going to the "Meet & Greet," could present the list and discuss the finer points of the issues. I think our telephone calls and e-mails have been falling on relatively deaf ears since the majority of the techies at Garmin are not even up to speed on the Colorado. A few I've spoken with have no knowledge of even the basic functions of the unit and have not been able to offer support of any kind.

Now where was that list????

<snip>

We will be at the meet and greet in Seattle Saturday and I hope they have good things to tell us. In the mean time these forums have been so much help for those of us who have purchased the Colorado model. We are getting a lot more information from each other than Garmin so in theory we are our own beta testers.

Should be a good draw; the meet & greet, you down from Ever-wet, me up from Tacoma-tose,

any other PNWers plan on attending? That's 10:00am to 5:00pm right?

Hope I can find those coordinates w/ my Mag. eXp. XL

WAASless near Seattle

Norm

I know I saw a compiled list of issues posted somewhere in the Colorado threads. A Garmin techie e-mailed me today and stated that a detailed list of issues/problems/wishes would be nice.

Maybe you, or someone else going to the "Meet & Greet," could present the list and discuss the finer points of the issues. I think our telephone calls and e-mails have been falling on relatively deaf ears since the majority of the techies at Garmin are not even up to speed on the Colorado. A few I've spoken with have no knowledge of even the basic functions of the unit and have not been able to offer support of any kind.

I will be at the meet and greet with a list. I have tried calling Garmin support and they have been very little help. I hope that garmin at the meat and greet will have some answers.

I will be at the meet and greet with a list. I have tried calling Garmin support and they have been very little help. I hope that garmin at the meat and greet will have some answers.

Here is the link to the list started in another thread: http://docs.google.com/View?docid=dgs8g624_27dj2b9php

Here is the link to the list started in another thread: http://docs.google.com/View?docid=dgs8g624_27dj2b9php

Thanks for the link. I will add that list to mine.

If you have items that aren't in this list let me know and I can add them.

GO$Rs

Additional items for the list:

1. Show Guidance

As I noted in another thread, I haven't yet found the "Show Guidance" feature, which is present on the 60-series, the Vista, and the mapping eTrex models. That is important to me.

2. Documentation

Another issue, although non-technical, is the unusually sparse documentation for the Colorado. The documentation that came with the 60, 76, and eTrex models when they were new was far more thorough than what ships with the Colorado. They could at least do a thorough manual and post it as a PDF. They need to say what the features are for -- not just what button or menu makes something happen. Maybe if they had done a good job with the documentation before they shipped the Colorado they would have realized what features were missing compared to the models it is supposed to replace.

Thanks,

Peter

Edited by Manatee87

I've had my Colorado 400t several days now, and I haven't figured out how to get street names to display in City Navigator 2008. They show on my 60CSx. I took some photos of the two side by side.

Anyone have any idea why the street names aren't showing on the Colorado?

Did you try adjusting the following setting?

Shortcuts -> Setup -> Map -> Options -> Advanced -> Zoom Levels -> Street Label

Everyone that finds this to be a poor decision and a very needed software update should all call Garmin at 1-800-800-1020 and gripe en mass about this screw-up. I think they base their updates on the number of complaints of any given issue. If all the folks that have commented on this subject here gave them a call about it, maybe they'd get a clue! ;)

Everyone that finds this to be a poor decision and a very needed software update should all call Garmin at 1-800-800-1020 and gripe en mass about this screw-up. I think they base their updates on the number of complaints of any given issue. If all the folks that have commented on this subject here gave them a call about it, maybe they'd get a clue! :D

My e-mail trail with them has stopped dead, after the message I copied here. No reply from them like, "Oops", or "we're working on that", or anything.

The maps they license from Navteq have the metadata for displaying the street names. Previous models always gave you the option of displaying them. Did some project manager at Garmin actually make a decision that that feature was not needed or wanted anymore? Did they decide that having wallpaper behind the menus was a more important use of their time?

Did some project manager at Garmin actually make a decision that that feature was not needed or wanted anymore? Did they decide that having wallpaper behind the menus was a more important use of their time?

or maybe.......

maybe.....

it is a BUG............

Since the screenshots in the manual show names, I suspect a BUG happened in one of the firmware updates. Just like the bug with the waypoints not displaying in "auto"............

or maybe.......

maybe.....

it is a BUG............

Since the screenshots in the manual show names, I suspect a BUG happened in one of the firmware updates. Just like the bug with the waypoints not displaying in "auto"............

Of course... that's what I presume (and hope) it is. Unfortunately I was born with an extra sarcasm chromosome, and sometimes (again, unfortunately) it dominates my brain. :D Sorry if my comment was harsh.

What is, and where do you get this "chip set" firmware anyway?

What is, and where do you get this "chip set" firmware anyway?

If you run Webupdater you'll have the option to upgrade the GPS software version to 2.6. It doesn't appear to be available for direct download off of Garmin's web page.

GO$Rs

Yeah, your'e right it does display the street names while routing but I don't always set a route when I go somewhere. I don't want to have to set a route every time I want to see street names. If its an intentional feature, its a lousy one IMHO. Garmin trying to make a better mousetrap?