What do you use?

Skillet68

I've seen them where there is a small slit on one side of the cap...about the width of a coat hanger....and a Bison tube hangs on a coat hanger on the inside of the pole and the cap is then put on top (the coat hanger fits into the slit).

Also

A small chain is welded to the inside of the cap and a Bison tube hangs from that...so when you lift the top off...the chane and tube goes with it.

How about Devcon high strength two tube clear 2 ton epoxy. http://www.devcon.com/devconfamilyproduct....79&catid=27

I think you should use a small grinder or something to rough up the inside surface of the cap so the surface is roughed up for the epoxy to stick to with your attachment of choice.

Another idea would be to epoxy a small container say a film canister to a strong magnet and the magnet would stick to the inside of the cap, provided it was a steel cap.

Barefoot One & Wench

Edited by Barefoot One & Wench

Attach metal to metal, say a wire inside a post cap, with JB Weld, a two-part metal epoxy that's amazingly strong and versatile.

Less is better than more with this product... dip one end of a wire into the mixture, clamp it against the inside of the cap, in a few minutes you have one heckuva strong connection!

Available at most retailers (Wal-Mart) and any auto supply shop.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Whatever the owner of the the fence posts says is ok.

This is the correct answer. Many of the posts to this thread describe attachment methods that would deface the property. This is against the guidelines. My practical test: When the cache is archived, can you remove every trace that a cache was ever there? If the answer is "no" then there's a guidelines issue.

A week or so ago, I found one that was held in place using a piece of coat hanger. The wire was bent so it was held inside the cap by friction. No thing was defaced and the cache did not risk being lost.

That sounds like a good idea. And I think I have a spring type thing for it.

The defacing thing seems like it gets overlooked a lot...

Technically, I'd think many LPC's could be considered for this by virtue of the wear from lifting the skirt.

Which, of course, is an entirely different thread, as is the wear and tear that we subject the roads to by driving to all these caches.

Thanks for the ideas. Looks like I will be heading out for some Gorilla glue.

Not sure where you're putting this, but if the outside temperature drops down below the advertised temperature range for the product you might want to reconsider...I know there are epoxies out there with better temperature ranges. Over time the contraction and expansion could stress it enough to cause bonding issues...I have tested it on suspending an object, but I've noticed some issues this winter on some caches with camouflaging adhered to some caches with it.

Edited by egami

I found one where the hider used a piece of 2" ABS pipe with a screw on type cap on each end. It was about a foot long. Inside the fence post he placed something (I'm assuming another piece of pipe) that the cache could rest on inside the fence post. When I pulled the cap off...no apparent cache, even after running my finger around the inside of the post. He placed the cache about 5" below the top of the fence post. It took a bit longer to find than the average fence post, plus it had room for swag and coins and stuff. No glue required:)

I found one where the hider used a piece of 2" ABS pipe with a screw on type cap on each end. It was about a foot long. Inside the fence post he placed something (I'm assuming another piece of pipe) that the cache could rest on inside the fence post. When I pulled the cap off...no apparent cache, even after running my finger around the inside of the post. He placed the cache about 5" below the top of the fence post. It took a bit longer to find than the average fence post, plus it had room for swag and coins and stuff. No glue required:)

Yeah, one I found was similar at an event...they had put a stick in the bottom and the PVC tube went inside and rested on the stick.

Attach metal to metal, say a wire inside a post cap, with JB Weld, a two-part metal epoxy that's amazingly strong and versatile.

Less is better than more with this product... dip one end of a wire into the mixture, clamp it against the inside of the cap, in a few minutes you have one heckuva strong connection!

Available at most retailers (Wal-Mart) and any auto supply shop.

That's what you need - JB Weld. Skip the Gorilla Glue ~ it becomes brittle in the cold and will fail.