Farthest from parking cache..

3 miles one way, a very easy trip. I have not found that many long hiking caches in NWPA. My active caches involve a short hike of at least 1 mile one way. Most are 2+ miles one way.

I've done a couple of long multis, one I put in 22 miles before I found the final and the other was just over 8 miles.

Ahhhh... longest hike has been for a benchmark recovery... 14 miles roundtrip on a lovely oceanside trail (bear-infested, too rough for mountainbikes, with an awesome warm sun overhead). Placed a cache on the way in at the six-mile mark which has been found twice in the last five months... a glorious hike!

bout 14 miles round trip to visit a single cace. I could have done it in 10 or so but tried to create my own shortcut.

Remind me not to contact you for "guide duty" if I ever get out your way... :yikes:

I'm pretty sure that the longest hikes I've done have been on my own hides.

Two where parking to cache round trip is around 16 miles.

Here, in Florida, there's often an alternate route if you have a kayak or a willingness to wade/swim. That's true of both of my longest distance caches. Both are 8 miles of trail walking one way, or, one is several miles of 'yaking to a brutal swamp bushwhack, the other can be 'yaked down to from the north (or mostly portaged down to from the north, a sort of wet hike carrying 'yak - I did it once, never again), or wade the river and cut the walk down to ~2.5 miles one way. Need 4x to get to that ford.

The longest single hike so far has been about 6 miles round trip. But that was stage 1 of a 4 stage multi to get the answers for the final puzzle cache. I put in over 16 miles to get the answer. Then I discovered that the puzzle cache was located back down a previous path in excess of 6 more miles round trip. The way those paths were laid, it could have been nine. I've never done so much walking to cover .60 miles as the crow flies. I don't know if he placed them intentionaly that way or not, but they were all .4 to .6 miles from the trail head according to the GPS. At least I got FTF on 3 of them.

Still haven't done the final. I was too tired after the initial hiking.

SD

Edited by scuba dude

My longest so far was a 12km round trip. With the up and down terrain we ended up doing a total ascent of about 1300m although our net elevation gain was "just" 900m or so.

Link to Log

EDIT: Oops, I lied. according to my own log the total ascent was "just" 1230m, not 1300m. Either way, that was a terrible thing to do to a fat man! :yikes:

Edited by DanOCan
is thier a limit your alowed to place a cache from the starting poit....

Nope, pretty much everything is fair game. We have a cache around here [click] in which the description says the one way hike is 35km. Cache has been waiting almost 5.5 years for the FTF.

EDIT: Fixed typo

Edited by DanOCan

What I've been wondering is ... What/where is the most remote cache in the world?? Furtherest for parking - or road or any manmade access point???? I know there are caches in Antarctica - which is sort of remote, but I don't think that they are too far from a base or hut or what ever. So where are the truely remote caches!!?

Annie

One of my own - Great Blue Heron Cache - 7 miles one way by canoe which includes a 1200 foot portage around a waterfall. This one can actually also be reached from the road about a mile away to the northwest, but I can just about warrant the the canoe will arrive before the hikers due to the terrain and unrelenting tanglefoot then a swamp.

One very very very long trip into PA with my quad in the dead of winter. Some was along a defunct rail bed and some was challenging. Did not find the cache, but it was buried in snow and ice I believe.

Trip said 17.6 miles when the quad went back up on the trailer.

Had an absolute blast however!!!!! Best DNF I ever had.

quadinwoods.jpg

Did you hike or ride the quad?

One of my own - Great Blue Heron Cache - 7 miles one way by canoe which includes a 1200 foot portage around a waterfall. This one can actually also be reached from the road about a mile away to the northwest, but I can just about warrant the the canoe will arrive before the hikers due to the terrain and unrelenting tanglefoot then a swamp.

One very very very long trip into PA with my quad in the dead of winter. Some was along a defunct rail bed and some was challenging. Did not find the cache, but it was buried in snow and ice I believe.

Trip said 17.6 miles when the quad went back up on the trailer.

Had an absolute blast however!!!!! Best DNF I ever had.

quadinwoods.jpg

Around here the farthest that I have found and done was a mile one way. We are over populated here in Illinois. :D

Depends on where you live in Illinois... Up near Chicago where my parents live, it is really quite remarkable to find a cache that requires a hike of over a mile...

But...

Down in Carbondale where I live, the longest hike I have done to find a cache was 7 miles round trip. I would like to do a longer one though... That River to River trail is looking more and more interesting, although I have never done an overnight hike before...

good stories....there aught to be a listing for the farthest from parking cache for every area code..might give some people something to shoot for besides all the park n grabs when ''placing'' a cache if they got some sort of reconition for it....

Define "parking". There are caches in Africa which might be 5km from the nearest road but the road is essentially impassable. I found one which indicated that the best way to reach it would be by helicopter.

We have a cache around here [click] in which the description says the one way hike is 35km. Cache has been waiting almost 5.5 years for the FTF.

Probably isn't waiting any longer, since it was in a "clear plastic" container.

Throop Peak was 6.75 miles "one-way." Total Elevation Gain and loss was 4400 feet, and half of the hike was above 8500 feet.

Well, you can make anything long. I could hike from DC to find a cache in CA. A 2000 mile hike! I've been to Throop Peak, and though you *can* hike that far and that high, you don't have to, not as long as the highway is open to Islip Saddle.

Edward