Found Cache where none should be... ABDSP

SBeckner80

I found a cache while hiking, and there is no mention of it on the geocaching database. What do I do/How do I find out which cache it is? Maybe it was moved by someone? Here are the details:

While hiking around Inspiration Wash near Inspiration Point in Anza Borrego, I came across a medium sized black box (18"x12"x10" approx) down a ravine, the heavy duty waterproof kind used for photo equipment etc, and found out it was a geocache after looking in it (very carefully! I wasn't sure WHAT to expect to be in this box). I logged my info and took a GPS point and photos of it.

Again, there is no mention of this cache in the general area, and no one had written in the logbook since I believe it was April of last year. Any advice?

I found a cache while hiking, and there is no mention of it on the geocaching database. What do I do/How do I find out which cache it is? Maybe it was moved by someone? Here are the details:

While hiking around Inspiration Wash near Inspiration Point in Anza Borrego, I came across a medium sized black box (18"x12"x10" approx) down a ravine, the heavy duty waterproof kind used for photo equipment etc, and found out it was a geocache after looking in it (very carefully! I wasn't sure WHAT to expect to be in this box). I logged my info and took a GPS point and photos of it.

Again, there is no mention of this cache in the general area, and no one had written in the logbook since I believe it was April of last year. Any advice?

What was the name on the April entry. You can go to their profile and see what Cache they found in April and narrow it down some. :D

Sadly, I did not think to look, as I did not know it might have been a "lost cache" at the time. I took the GPS point to make it easier for me to find it online. Next time I go back (in the next month or so) if I haven't figured it out with what info I have I'll stop by it and get more information from it!

Edited by SBeckner80

Based on my knowledge of the area and the maps I have, I'd say within 500 yards of (coords edited out temporarily...). I'll have the GPS coords later tonight when I upload from my unit, and I'll post them! It's within 50 yards of the spot along the Inspiration Wash dirt road where the road pops up out of the canyons for the first time, and there is a warn parking area with a great overlook to the west. This is kinda exciting...

Edited by SBeckner80

Yes, leave it alone.

Well, it looks like that is within half a mile of this cache. I never found that one, so I don't know if it was still one of those Pelican cases, or not. Those Pelican Cases tended to disappear . . . :D

I've heard of "cache migration," but half a mile is pretty far . . . :huh:

The case for Borrego Vista went missing 2 years ago. It was replaced with an ammo can. We did have a case disappear this year, but it was clear across the desert by Blair Valley!

Well, it looks like that is within half a mile of this cache. I never found that one, so I don't know if it was still one of those Pelican cases, or not. Those Pelican Cases tended to disappear . . . :D

The case for Borrego Vista went missing 2 years ago. It was replaced with an ammo can. We did have a case disappear this year, but it was clear across the desert by Blair Valley!

I will also add that the C2C's out there have already been picked up by us.

I can't wait to see if the one I found was one if yours!

Well, it looks like that is within half a mile of this cache. I never found that one, so I don't know if it was still one of those Pelican cases, or not. Those Pelican Cases tended to disappear . . . :yikes:

I've heard of "cache migration," but half a mile is pretty far . . . :yikes:

It could also be a Puzzle cache, or last stage of a Multipoint. You wouldn't be able to find it on the website as it will have different location possibly up to a few miles away.

Well, it looks like that is within half a mile of this cache. I never found that one, so I don't know if it was still one of those Pelican cases, or not. Those Pelican Cases tended to disappear . . . :)

I've heard of "cache migration," but half a mile is pretty far . . . :)

It could also be a Puzzle cache, or last stage of a Multipoint. You wouldn't be able to find it on the website as it will have different location possibly up to a few miles away.

Who is....................... SBeckner80 ?????????????? .......... RANGER ?????????? :ph34r:

It doesn't appear that way. I have been corresponding with him and he provided a pic that looks like that is the cache that went missing 2 years ago. He gave a really good description of exactly how to locate it along with the coords. It is actually not far from the original spot. He sounds like a really cool guy and I'm going to assume this is all in the up and up. I'm going to head out there this weekend to get it while I do some of the peaks for more retrievals. It's not far off the road and a very short hike so it's not a huge leap to check on. If it is it, I will say that I will be super thrilled! Considering everything that has been going on and the sentimental attachment we have to those Sea to Sea's. I'll post back after the weekend to let everyone know how it all turns out.

It doesn't appear that way. I have been corresponding with him and he provided a pic that looks like that is the cache that went missing 2 years ago. He gave a really good description of exactly how to locate it along with the coords. It is actually not far from the original spot. He sounds like a really cool guy and I'm going to assume this is all in the up and up. I'm going to head out there this weekend to get it while I do some of the peaks for more retrievals. It's not far off the road and a very short hike so it's not a huge leap to check on. If it is it, I will say that I will be super thrilled! Considering everything that has been going on and the sentimental attachment we have to those Sea to Sea's. I'll post back after the weekend to let everyone know how it all turns out.

OK!! .....MY- BAD ..... :o

Just a little ........ PARANOID :D

Chris / TEAM DUCKIT

***UPDATE***

Well, we are out in Borrego Springs right now and I had to write in about our little surprise of the day. We spent the day hiking and at the end we went to check on this mysterious cache. It turns out that it was indeed the missing Sea to Sea! Somehow this cache did indeed migrate quite a ways. It was 300 feet away as the arrow goes but it went quite a few hundred more to get to where it did. Must have been some heavy rains then. The last log for this container on the site was in 11/28/2005 but unbelievably this cache has had 5 groups visit it in its displaced location by folks who all found it by accident! These people all signed the log stating the accidental find. Some people even made trades. Most logged that they were careful to replace it as found. I thought that in light of everything going on with geocaching in the desert that this was rather heartwarming. It was nice reading all of the old logs from those of us that competed in the Sea to Sea Challenge in 2003. That was so much fun! A special THANK YOU to Scott :):):) for posting this find in the forum and getting it back safely!!

Accidental finder Ken from Ft Lauderdale wrote, "Integrity tester in the middle of nature". Nicely put!

Good Times!

***UPDATE***

Well, we are out in Borrego Springs right now and I had to write in about our little surprise of the day. We spent the day hiking and at the end we went to check on this mysterious cache. It turns out that it was indeed the missing Sea to Sea! Somehow this cache did indeed migrate quite a ways. It was 300 feet away as the arrow goes but it went quite a few hundred more to get to where it did. Must have been some heavy rains then. The last log for this container on the site was in 11/28/2005 but unbelievably this cache has had 5 groups visit it in its displaced location by folks who all found it by accident! These people all signed the log stating the accidental find. Some people even made trades. Most logged that they were careful to replace it as found. I thought that in light of everything going on with geocaching in the desert that this was rather heartwarming. It was nice reading all of the old logs from those of us that competed in the Sea to Sea Challenge in 2003. That was so much fun! A special THANK YOU to Scott :):):) for posting this find in the forum and getting it back safely!!

Accidental finder Ken from Ft Lauderdale wrote, "Integrity tester in the middle of nature". Nicely put!

Good Times!

Very Cool.