Beware purchasing from Swiftmaps

elmuyloco5

Swiftmaps is a company that has been advertising on the Magellan Triton forum and appeared to have a clear sales record. The owner was friendly and helpful throughout the sale until it came to our return. Prior to purchasing the item, we inquired about the return policy as they mostly sell paper maps and so their policy online reflected that. He assured us that he would happily take the item back if there was an issue.

We received the unit and found that the NG Topo software that we purchased along with it came with only 8 of the 9 discs needed with our 9th disc being a duplicate of the 8th. We called for help from him and was told that NG would have to take care of it. So we called NG to be told that he is not a certified dealer for them and that they could not help us. When we contacted him again with this info, his response was one of anger.

We explained that we were having significant difficulties with our unit, as others are having on GC.com, and wished to return the whole thing. He said we'd have to pay a restocking fee. We contacted him again reminding him of our verbal contract and this is the response I got:

"Whatever...just send the piece of garbage back to my attention."

The unit arrived via confirmation on the 11th of this month. We have yet to receive our refund and are currently waiting the 14 day period our bank requires to file a claim. He will not respond to emails or our phone calls anymore. Please, be wary of this vendor!!!

I actually also posted on the Magellan Triton forums where I first heard of the company. Apparently, we are not the only ones he hasn't refunded and he's been ripped apart on there. It's a shame to see someone act so childishly in business. If he had taken the proper measures to refund money where he needed to, he wouldn't lose the business this whole mess will ultimately end up costing him.

However common sense would dictate that the original company that supplied the maps certainly *are* responsible under law for having a missing disk. I'd go back to them and tell them you want the missing disk replaced or you'll have to go through the normal consumer protection channels.