UK Mega Event

WE NEED YOU....!!"

We are pleased to announce that the “Mega” event will be a day event based at the Cedar Court Hotel, a “Best Western” hotel based approx. 5 minutes walk away from the train station in the centre of Harrogate

Harrogate’s Cedar Court Hotel is alongside the famous "Stray", a glorious parkland of 200 acres a truly picturesque area. Plenty of free parking is available with easy access to public transport.

The whole hotel function rooms have been allocated to us, so there is plenty of space for all of the fun activities that are to be held.

The date is Sunday 3rd August 2008.

Unfortunately there was not a suitable event location on the 2nd August, but we hope that Sunday 3rd is acceptable.

The event times will be approx. mid morning to mid to late afternoon. This should allow for people who wish to travel long distances back on that day ample time to get home before the next morning work/school etc etc

There are a number of activities planned for the day which will hope to be of interest to those attending, both new and experienced cachers.

These activities will be announced later.

We are also planning a number suggested caching trails based upon distance/time/difficulty to take into account the surrounding Yorkshire dales and/or Harrogate centre area for those who wish to pick out the best caching and caches the area has to offer. This should help you plan your trip to Harrogate. Again watch the cache and web page for further details. Bookmarks will be published later.

There will be a separate camping event announced at a date soon that will back up the Mega event for those wishing to make more than a day trip.

Further news on special event geocoins will be published as soon as the company dealing with the production finalise details

We shall be shortly asking via the cache page and our own website (to be published soon) for people to indicate numbers, so that we may be able to prove to Groundspeak that in excess of 500 people are attending. At that stage the icon will change to a mega icon.

Please watch the cache page for future developments and news of the event itself

Finally, as you can see we have listened to the UK caching community and we thank you for your information. We are aware that we can not please everyone and the date and location might not suit everyone.

Thank you for your continued support and I on behalf of the committee look forward to meeting you in August.

Robin (Harrogate Hunters)

Edited by UK Mega Event Committee

WE NEED YOU....!!"

We are pleased to announce that the “Mega” event will be a day event based at the Cedar Court Hotel, a “Best Western” hotel based approx. 5 minutes walk away from the train station in the centre of Harrogate

Harrogate’s Cedar Court Hotel is alongside the famous "Stray", a glorious parkland of 200 acres a truly picturesque area. Plenty of free parking is available with easy access to public transport.

The whole hotel function rooms have been allocated to us, so there is plenty of space for all of the fun activities that are to be held.

The date is Sunday 3rd August 2008.

Unfortunately there was not a suitable event location on the 2nd August, but we hope that Sunday 3rd is acceptable.

The event times will be approx. mid morning to mid to late afternoon. This should allow for people who wish to travel long distances back on that day ample time to get home before the next morning work/school etc etc

There are a number of activities planned for the day which will hope to be of interest to those attending, both new and experienced cachers.

These activities will be announced later.

We are also planning a number suggested caching trails based upon distance/time/difficulty to take into account the surrounding Yorkshire dales and/or Harrogate centre area for those who wish to pick out the best caching and caches the area has to offer. This should help you plan your trip to Harrogate. Again watch the cache and web page for further details. Bookmarks will be published later.

There will be a separate camping event announced at a date soon that will back up the Mega event for those wishing to make more than a day trip.

Further news on special event geocoins will be published as soon as the company dealing with the production finalise details

We shall be shortly asking via the cache page and our own website (to be published soon) for people to indicate numbers, so that we may be able to prove to Groundspeak that in excess of 500 people are attending. At that stage the icon will change to a mega icon.

Please watch the cache page for future developments and news of the event itself

Finally, as you can see we have listened to the UK caching community and we thank you for your information. We are aware that we can not please everyone and the date and location might not suit everyone.

Thank you for your continued support and I on behalf of the committee look forward to meeting you in August.

That is great news - I've already shown my intent to be there. :)

Just one detail - the webpage still shows 1st August as the event date (7/1/2008) and this comes through when I download it to GSAK which could be confusing. :)

Groundspeak only lets cache pages to have dates no more than 6 months in advance and as the event is still over 6 months away we can only move the event date to the correct date after 3rd February 2008

The date will be updated, in the meantime we have moved the date closer to the actual date !

Sorry for any confusion, but this will be addressed !!

Still no mention of pets. Can someone confirm or not?

RD

Its a 4 star hotel and a conference centre. I don't know but unless the pet is a hard of hearing dog or a guide dog I'd say no. I'm not a prolific conference attender, but I've never seen pets at one. Rather than the Mega Event committee getting involved in micro management as they've got a bigger job to do, I'd like to suggest that if people have particular questions or needs that they want to check with the hotel, that they do that themselves. The contact details for the hotel are at http://www.bw-cedarcourt.co.uk/contactus.asp

Still no mention of pets. Can someone confirm or not?

RD

I can announce the following :-

Dogs and other pets will not be allowed in the hotel.. (subject to normal rules)

However we (hope/will) to provide a marquee outside giving covered areas along with watering /food areas...

No elephants please (Without prior arrangement)

Dont worry .... cachers come with pets.... we have considered this ! :)

Congratulations on getting this shipshape. I'm looking into what shops there are in the Harrogate area so I can turn it into a business trip for some mystery shopping. I think it'll be the only way I can justify the travelling to get to the area.

Edit- Looks like I'll be working in Hull on the Saturday, spending the night there, and coming across country on Sunday morning. Seems like a plan :ph34r:

Edited by Simply Paul

I have spoken to the Manager at the Cedar Court Hotel this morning regarding rooms.

He has over the last 24 hours had a number of bookings.

There are currently as we speak 45 rooms still availiable, but can I please make the following announcement he asked me to say to avoid disappointment

"The Hotel will be full at that time of the year, so to avoid disappointment, please book early. Also the room rates are based upon the same as the bucket flights at the airport.... first come get the cheap rate and as the hotel fills up and it gets closer to the time the room rate increases"

So my advice is book early !!! There are some great prices at the moment, which will vanish.

This is not and I repeat not a ploy by the hotel to get earlier or more booking, he is just stating the facts and wishes to help us !

Harrogate obviously has a large number of accomodation from B & B's to the 5 star plus Majestic Hotel, so there will be no problem getting a room, but dont forget Harrogate is a conference town and that weekend at the moment there are no conferences !!!! (Lucky !)

What a pity you are not coming two weeks later... the Harrogate Lingerie & Swimwear Exhibition is held ! :o:D

...p.s. Just as a matter of interest, does anyone out there not know about the Mega event yet ?

I suspect that there are still quite a lot of UK cachers who haven't heard about it :laughing: ... yet.

There are many who have not yet found this Forum and have never been to any Event. So it's important to put the Mega flyers out onto our cache pages to "spread the word"... and I'll get round to doing just that in the next couple of weeks. :laughing:

MrsB

<ouch!>Just stubbed my toe on this at the bottom of this page :laughing:

MrsB

Yep.. I noticed it down there also.... :P:laughing:

p.s. Just as a matter of interest, does anyone out there not know about the Mega event yet ?

Yes, a local cacher emailed me today and was muttering about still not knowing when the mega event will be and how he can't book leave til he knows.. .blah blah.....

I sent him a very stern email - told him to get to the forums in double quick time!